Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What was before dinosaurs

lovecraft disciple

I think that if I could have a time machine, i would go back 1 000 000 000 years ago. Earth is 4 500 000 000 years old, Dinosaurs rules several hundred of million years, so what could have lived (and disapeared) in the years before ? life is said to have raised when earth was 1 000 000 000 y-o. It took only 50 thousand years for Mankind between the first fire and the first space travel. Anything older than life may have developped and extinguished on earth before.....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wunarmdscissor

• antares

• Celumnaz

• Nxt2Hvn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lovecraft disciple,

I don't think you'll like the Earth if you go back 1 000 000 000 years ago. It was not very hospitable then - too much methane and less oxygen...

If I recall correctly this was the main reason why life appeared so late on Earth...

If I had a time machine.. I believe I would rather go 10 Million years into the future... just to see what was left of earth.

Of course it would have to be a space flying time machine.. just in case the earth wasn't here anymore! thumbsup.gif

Youre right Antares.

It took a look time before even single cell organisms could survive never mind an advanced civilisation.

If I had a time machine.. I believe I would rather go 10 Million years into the future... just to see what was left of earth.

There won't be much nxt2hvn our sun will be going Nova around about then. Whatever happens the Earth won't be here. dontgetit.gif

There won't be much nxt2hvn our sun will be going Nova around about then. Whatever happens the Earth won't be here. dontgetit.gif

That's what I figure too.. but it would be so neat to see what is left of our solar system.. and to see if there are any other planets formed or solar systems formed... or if even the sun still exists.

That's why I said I woudl need a space flying time machine....so I would be safe no matter what. wink2.gif

But the past would be cool too... I would like to see if the Big Bang Theory is true... and the Gap Theory. thumbsup.gif

I see, good thinkin but it doesn't matter anyway cos if srting theory is proven then we will all be around to see it neway just in another form thumbsup.gif

Wots gap theory? (excuse my ignorance, don't laugh please) never heard of that.

I see, good thinkin but it doesn't matter anyway cos if srting theory is proven then we will all be around to see it neway just in another form thumbsup.gif

Wots gap theory? (excuse my ignorance, don't laugh please) never heard of that.

The Gap Theory is based on the bible... the time period before God created Man.

It is theorized biblically that after God created the Heavens and the Earth... he then created the Dinosaurs... and the Gap is that time in between him creating the Heavens and the Earth and then creating Man.

I have my own opinions on the Gap Theory... I believe God created the Dinosaurs for a reason... he let them roam the earth for millions of years... to live and die. And that is for us to have Oil for heat and other purposes. Without the Dinosaurs we wouldn't have oil.

I believe he created the dinosaurs because be planned on creating man in his own image... and we would need the oil to survive.

Check out this link:

Gap Theory Link

Thanks for enlightening me on gap theory. I didn't realise it was a theological idea. I suppose you really have to believe in god to believe that. Im not sure what i believe but i think it would be cruel of god to not give dinosaurs the same chance he gave of us. I gather you believe he created us to be superior than them(i apologise if im wrong). This isn't very christian?, though it is very off-topic lol.

Thanks anyway never thought about that before thumbsup.gif .

I gather you believe he created us to be superior than them(i apologise if im wrong). This isn't very christian?, though it is very off-topic lol.

Thanks anyway never thought about that before thumbsup.gif .

Of course I believe that Humans are superior to the dinosaurs. Are we humans not superior to cows, chickens, pigs... and any other animals that we eat.

I believe that God's has a purpose for us.... that is why he put us here on earth and created us in his own image.

He then gave us animals not only for food ... but also for transportation and companionship. I just feel that he also created the dinosaurs for a purpose for humans ... just sort of in a different way.

He created them and they roamed the earth for and after their purpose was met.. their life span here on earth was over.

I also believe that only humans have souls... animals do not have souls... and do not go to heaven when they die...everything that God created was for human use for as long as they exist here on earth.

And I am sorry that you view that as not being very Christian.. but the bible states the reason for animals ... for our survival.

Read the bible ... people offered sheep, goats and lambs as sacrifices to God in the Old Testament. The fact that I view animals as below humans has nothing to do with me being Christian or not.

ohmy.gif And you are correct... we seem to have really gotten a little off topic! tongue.gif

I hope you understand my views a little better now. I am glad to share wink2.gif

I know the guy is controversial, but http://www.davidicke.net/mysteries/reports/oil.html

Working in the natural gas industry I've gotten some mixed responses... some laughed at me, some said "Hmmmm, that makes sense", some said "Yep, that's right."... most laughed hehe.

But still, I think it's a good theory... Oil isn't made of dead animals.

And I think those nano-gears or whatever that was found in Turkey? Iraq? Somewhere... they are leftovers from the civilization before dinosaurs.

Really going off the deep end I think that previous civilization could now be spirits still on the planet.

Yes, I have been called crazy before. That's ok. grin2.gif

And I think those nano-gears or whatever that was found in Turkey? Iraq? Somewhere... they are leftovers from the civilization before dinosaurs.

Cellumnaz your talking about the anticithera mechanism it has been traced to greek civilisation.

Nxt2hvn didn't mean to sound critising. I dont agree though. I don't think you can't always take the bible word for word especially as it was written so long ago and not by god himself. Only my opinion an im not cristising your beliefs. original.gif

Neway i would concede that though i dont believe there was a cilivlisation before dinosaurs. I do think that seen as though they were around for a while theres a chance they became far more advanced than is thought i.e. some form of higher breed of intelligent reptile (i don;t personally believe the whole reptoid present day thing) but ive got an open mind.

thumbsup.gif

Just to hit back towards the topic...

1 billion years ago was, I believe, somewhere around the precambrian era. The most life you'd find then would be the most basic of simple proteins (if indeed you could call that life). I doubt single celled organisms would even be common place yet.

Most life before the dinosaurs would have existed in the sea. Most likely the first forms of higher life forms would be ocean going invertibrates...the land would be inhabited by insects, amphibians and simple reptiles long before dinosaurs made their debut.

If you went back a billion years, the earth would look like a giant dirty toilet bowl. I watched some TLC program where they said earth was comprised of many scattered islands. And land was pretty much marshes and things of that sort.

If I may put in my 2 cents, I highly doubt there was a civilization before the dino's. Humans, if you could call them that, would have been severly underdeveloped and would have lacked any kind of sophistication, if it were at all possible. Earth would have been one giant cesspool of bacteria and gas. I just don't see that as possible.

I have my own opinions on the Gap Theory... I believe God created the Dinosaurs for a reason... he let them roam the earth for millions of years... to live and die. And that is for us to have Oil for heat and other purposes. Without the Dinosaurs we wouldn't have oil.

Hmm... The oil was discovered in 1859 - until then men relied on wood, animal oil and coal and they perfectly survived. So I don't think that the purpose of dinosaurs is to give us oil for heat...

There were animals living here before dinoaurs as they were not the first animals. Insects, fish, sealife, lizards, amphibians, and plants were here long before. There were species of large (non-dino) reptiles who existed long before the Triasic age, which was about the time when dinosaurs first appeared.

hello everyone again,

do you think that the amount of oxygen is the condition sine qua non for life to develop ? If I admit that life could raise on other planets, I must admit that the evironnement of these planets shall be quite different from those on earth. and may be one of those environement can be earth several billion years ago. If our civilization developped on several thousand years, any proof of its existence will be erased if we consider periods of billion year. What can be applied to our civilisation now can be aplied to another civilization , on an other planet... or on earth billion years inthe past.

This is a good point, lovecraft disciple...

I always wondered if life requires oxygen. As I mentioned already Earth had quite a different atmosphere 1 billion years ago. But why not methane breathing organisms? I don't know why. I guess it did not work out this way. The earliest life forms evolved in the seas about 3.5 billion years ago (Seraphina can help us out here). They are the blue-green algae. Early dinosaurs evolved 250 million years ago. So the life evolved really slow between the Paleozoic Era and Mesozoic Era. Why? Not a single theory explains that in detailes. But there is a paleoclimate theory claiming that CO2 from Earth crust was released 250 million years ago and it reacted somehow with the methane and released oxygen. This is the time when dinosaurs started evolving... May be it's not a coincidence...

Antares

always wondered if life requires oxygen

Well antares has it not been proven already that extreme deep see organisms living next geo-thermal vents on the sea bed can survive on methane alone.

I think you could say that some organisms can live without oxygen. I guess we will truly answer that question if we find life on 1 of the planets that does not have oxygen.

So he created dinosaurs just for the sake of giving us oil?

Before the dinosaurs...there wasn't much. tongue.gif Just an amphibian(sp?) here and a sea-dwelling creature over there. You know, things like that.

Maybe he only made us to leave something behind for some future race. blink.gif

Cya!

Well antares has it not been proven already that extreme deep see organisms living next geo-thermal vents on the sea bed can survive on methane alone.

I think you could say that some organisms can live without oxygen. I guess we will truly answer that question if we find life on 1 of the planets that does not have oxygen.

I've heard about bacteria that converts H2S (hydrogen sulfide) and thrives around geothermal vents but not methane converting one. But anyway you are right about the existence of anaerobic (non-oxygen) life on Earth although these are mainly bacteria.

As for the other planets - I am looking forward to the end of the Cassini mission to Saturn in 2005. The probe will land on Titan (successfully I hope) and will search for life there. Titan has a similar atmosphere to what Earth had a billion years ago so hopefully a lot of questions will be answered - for instance - can a planet with methane-nitrogen atmosphere harbor life?

According to what is known about our sun, it has billions of years left before the red giant stage, so going 10 million years into the future should be ok, with regards to the sun.