Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

dragons

the lazy skeptic

I would agree with everything you said about the cyclops, based on the Mastadon, but this does nothing to discredit the firm belief in dragons by ancient and medieval people in every part of the world. If you knew more about this subject ancient greek writers ACKNOWLEDGED all of the cyclops were long since dead, just as we do the dinosaurs. But when it came to dragons, their greatest naturalists, like Herodatus and Pliny ALL acknowledged living dragons including flying ones that were commonly seen. Dragons were mankinds earliest Gods, that allegedly taught them things like animal husbandry and agriculture in different cultures seperated by vast oceans. How would such universal ideas be accepted all over the world if simply based on fossil bones, nor would the ancient people even understand the bones came from a reptile. Much dragon lore comes from places where there are virtually no reptiles, and certainly no large ones such as Norther europe where there are only tiny lizards and snakes.

Real scientists like Carl Sagan are perplexed by the universal belief in dragons, as we find in his writings. And the large cryptic animals still regularly reported today are either completely fake, (which is unlikely becasue of the many sightings) or are creatures too clever to be captured or seen at close distance, becasue they are "dragons"

Is it not possible that the Europeans heard tales of huge snakes from India or Africa? Yes. And this info could have been greatly exxagerated or misunderstood by the explorers bringing back stories. The fact that Europe and other places aren't littered with large reptiles just leaves me to believe even more so that they got their ideas of dragons from stories and folklore. With nothing to look at for the majority population the mind is free to make up their own ideas of what they don't understand.

And you say much dragon lore comes from places without large reptiles. Well, yeah, because the places with them like India, see the actual creatures on a more regular basis. And they would have an understanding of what the creature really is.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• draconic chronicler

• The Gremlin

• Undeadskeptic

• Dragon Seeker

Even though I love dragons, and I wish they were real, I know they aren't real. And I admit, I hate myself for thinking that dragons aren't real.

Actually, I have no proof of the existance of such creatures, so feel free to not believe. The fossils+dragons theory fits well, except in places where there are no native large reptiles. These people weren't great naturalists with regards to fossils, one rhino fossil was assumed to be a dragon in Germany. So, why did people assume that the giant fossils were reptilian - why not giant mammals?

While there is no hard evidence of such creatures, there are many who are either following native belief systems, or those looking for more information, who still have wonder about them.

The harder question is: why all of the legends? The similarities are striking: one would expect legends of native creatures to dominate.

Actually, I have no proof of the existance of such creatures, so feel free to not believe. The fossils+dragons theory fits well, except in places where there are no native large reptiles.

Most land had dinosaurs living on it at one point in time.

Nothing to do with "Chickening out". You have demonstrated you know too little about any of this to waste my time discussing it with you. You really need to have a basic understanding of the worldwide belief in these same creatures all over the world for thousands of years, and this clearly seems to be above your level of knowledge. Wait for the book.

Please enlighten me on how legends and myths of a creature that bears many similarities in many cultures makes it a real animal? That's what I don't understand. There is worldwide belief in God, does that make him real? Not really.

Also, I have asked you many questions about how these 'animals' or 'beings' as you'd probably prefer elude being seen, or captured. Supposedly there were thousands of sighting of them in ancients times, why not anymore? You have also used dodgey answers to my questions saying "they can phase intyo other dimensions and realities" and "They can avoid escape from sonar and nets because they are alot smarter than humans", i'm paraphrasing here, but it seems like you think you know everything about dragons and even seem to know them personally. You haven't really discussed any real PROOF you have behind believing they exist other than some alleged parts in a bible and some drawings on walls and chapels all over the world. Which may I add can you quote the parts you mention from the bible so other people can see the sections where these dragons are mentioned along with which book you are reading out of.

Also, dinosaur fossils have been discovered in every continent, possibly every country on Earth, so also give me a rubuttal for why you think its not possible for dragons to be dinosaurs?

Along with those things, in order to purchase your book, I need to know what its title, price, seeling locations, and the name you wrote under are.

Aswell for your enjoyment I will cite my previous reply to you in the "Dragons in the news..." thread.

Only in your infantile, geekish, D&D playing fantasies.

All of our stone age ancestors speak of the dragons that taught them their technologies, and once their jobs were accomplished they left, though occasionally seen even today.

People are now smart enough to solve their own problems. If the dragons come back now, most of the legends suggest it will be to exterminate us as "failures" or at least a large portion of the population (1/3rd in the Bible, for example).

They are undoubtedly smart enough to avoid fish nets, and leave lakes when being scanned by sonor. It would not be hard for intelligent dragons to avoid humans, and they may indeed spend much of their time in "another dimension" though ocassionaly come here to hunt.

Wow. Just wow. Okay, for one. I don't play D & D, I actually have no clue what so ever on how to play it, nor have I ever tried. Its called Satire.

And for your post on "People are now smart enough to solve their own problems.", it really seems that way doesn't it? When people all around the world are fighting over Religions that are basically all the same thing, when Bush can't get his head straight and leave a war he's already won. When a simple idea for stopping global warming can't be found, and even if there was a solution, corporations don't give a damn about the planet they live on, as long as they can keep making sales. Not to mention Globalization and the Nike Paradigm, I don't know, the Starvation, Huge Political debts, and Poverty in other countries. Sounds like we are really solving our own problems to me, don't you think?

I hate how people always refer to the bible in a literal sense. Like

Jesus turned water into wine! Isn't that amazing?!

people take that to literally, its meant to be a metaphore, because 'Jesus' took the same old words people used, about heralds to god, and then he took them and put meaning behind them, made people actually think about it, aware of the idea, doing what others had failed to do before him.

Regardless, you seem to have an idea of what a dragon would do in any situation. It seems to me you are just try to pull a rabbit out of a hat. The thing is though, none of what you say is has much real definative proof, like, How do you know for sure they even eat? How do you know that they actually existed, and don't say

because half the population of Earth believes so, and its also in the bible

, even with saying that, half the population believes in ghosts, but that doesn't necessarily mean they exist. So how would a dragon even know what Sonar is? Most humans don't even know what it is, they know the general idea, but they don't know how it actually works inside.

Aswell you said

most of the legends suggest it will be to exterminate us as "failures"

The key word you say in that brief statement is legend, as in a made up story.

Here is the first definition for legend for your veiwing pleasures:

1. a nonhistorical or unverifiable story handed down by tradition from earlier times and popularly accepted as historical.

All you have been doing is repeating the same statements over and over.

Casually awaiting your rebuttal,

Joel.

I hope I am to your 'level of knowledge' now.

Joel.

P.s. The bible is not meant to be taken seriously.

One good example is the Loch Ness Monster, a creature alive in the 6th century AD that was essentially a "dragon" that seemed to have rsponded to human commands This "dragon" has had over 10,000 sighting many by very reliable people, and so close up to clearly prove it was a huge ane entirely unknown animal. So reliable are some of these accounts that millions of dollars have been spent on scientific investigations.

The animal is not found, and the scientists do not think it could exist becasue they think it is a dumb animal that their sonor should have detected.

But if the creature is intelligent, and able to leave the water, (as several eyewitness reports have proven), then their sonor is not going to detect it.

And there are many reports of many similar creatures all around the world. People will continue to see them because they are real, but they will not be caught becasue it is taken for granted by scientists that they are either simple animals that should be caught, and if they cannot catch them their arrogance decides they are only figments of the imagination.

Many of the cryptid reports of large reptilian creatures may be these same dragons. With human like intelligence, but the super senses of a predatory animal, of course they could elude humans and may even succesfully prey on them. Think of the tens of thousands of people who totally vanish without a trace every year.

Of course they are not abducted by aliens, that would be just silly. They are obviously eaten by dragons.

One good example is the Loch Ness Monster, a creature alive in the 6th century AD that was essentially a "dragon" that seemed to have rsponded to human commands This "dragon" has had over 10,000 sighting many by very reliable people, and so close up to clearly prove it was a huge ane entirely unknown animal. So reliable are some of these accounts that millions of dollars have been spent on scientific investigations.

I thought Nessie was a plesiosaur(if that's how you spell it). Isn't it?

Heh your post made me think of a couple photo's.. dragon's that look like typically described ogopogo and loch ness monster (interpretation is subjective of course). These are of mosaics on the floor of a room in the vatican museum (Edit to add Vatican museum 500-ish years old) ..

post-55445-1188959291_thumb.jpg

To me what looks like Nessie and the Ogopogo chilling with.. what I presume is Neptune.

post-55445-1188959344_thumb.jpg

A solo of the Ogopogo look alike ;)

Edited by Nocturnal

The animal is not found, and the scientists do not think it could exist becasue they think it is a dumb animal that their sonor should have detected.

But if the creature is intelligent, and able to leave the water, (as several eyewitness reports have proven), then their sonor is not going to detect it.

And there are many reports of many similar creatures all around the world. People will continue to see them because they are real, but they will not be caught becasue it is taken for granted by scientists that they are either simple animals that should be caught, and if they cannot catch them their arrogance decides they are only figments of the imagination.

Many of the cryptid reports of large reptilian creatures may be these same dragons. With human like intelligence, but the super senses of a predatory animal, of course they could elude humans and may even succesfully prey on them. Think of the tens of thousands of people who totally vanish without a trace every year.

Of course they are not abducted by aliens, that would be just silly. They are obviously eaten by dragons.

Okay there are a few things that I find wrong with your post, you or anyone else can argue with what I am getting from this here.

1) Even though 'reliable' people has supposedly seen this animal like doctors etc. They can still lie. I would assume that if a doctor will lie about malpractice they could lie about something like this just as easily. Also many reliable scientists have lied about making amazing technological breakthroughs, which when asked to see were denied the priveledged and later found out to be faking it the entire time. All this just for some media-attention, possibly like a old-school version of a modern-day nipple slip, those get lots of attention, and sometimes they are done for that reason only: attention. If there was so many of these sightings then why did they forget the most important thing, the proof?

2) You said

(as several eyewitness reports have proven)
which I find abnormally wrong, because most eye-witness reports can be discredited because natural effects such as confusion, darkness, or the witness being tired. Sure some people may have seen something, but that doesn't make it a dragon/plesiosaur it doesn't really make it anything, seeing as how eye-witness reports arn't very stable evidence of anything.

3) With all due respect, seeing as how there is like 6 Billion people on Earth, I would have to say that 10,000 people is not that many, statistically that is. 10,000 is not a large number these could all most all be people running away, being murdered without having their bodies found (don't forget the eye-witness reports though!), and rape victims, etc. Though I will admit some people probably disappear under mysterious circumstances not necessarilly alien abduction, and for certain not being eaten by dragons.

Also I am still waiting to the responces of my other question.

Thank you,

Joel.

I thought Nessie was a plesiosaur(if that's how you spell it). Isn't it?

Nessie is not an anything yet, as it is not proven to be there. But a plesiosaur is unlikely because they were not capable of lifting their heads straight up out of the water, which is a common description of lake monsters.

I have explained why it is likely that dragons are results of overactive imaginations in the past and mistaken identities of dinosaurs. You said your self that many of the stories occur in land with no native currently living large reptiles. So this leads me to believe that in places like India, where they have large snakes and access to them at all times, they don't carry stories of dragons because they know the true nature and characteristics of the animals. But when someone brings a story to Europe of a huge snake unlike anything they have seen, sticking his tongue out (source of fire perhaps?) it is pretty easy to understand how quickly imaginations would take over and run wild.

Okay there are a few things that I find wrong with your post, you or anyone else can argue with what I am getting from this here.

1) Even though 'reliable' people has supposedly seen this animal like doctors etc. They can still lie. I would assume that if a doctor will lie about malpractice they could lie about something like this just as easily. Also many reliable scientists have lied about making amazing technological breakthroughs, which when asked to see were denied the priveledged and later found out to be faking it the entire time. All this just for some media-attention, possibly like a old-school version of a modern-day nipple slip, those get lots of attention, and sometimes they are done for that reason only: attention. If there was so many of these sightings then why did they forget the most important thing, the proof?

It's true they might lie, but the more 'reliable' people who see it, the better chances they are telling the truth. For doctors or scientists, publicly lying about something like this might cost them their career if they are exposed as having lied. It means the risk for them, compared to an average joe, of lying about witnessing something is much more significant - and without evidence the gain is limited so it's a question of why would they bother. As far as the proof itself, they are limited essentially in these cases to photography and video right? Taking a photo of an unexpected event at a generally unknown location (essentially not knowing where in your field of vision it will appear) is tricky even in daylight. They will often end up blurry and useless, assuming you can even get the camera prepped in time before the 'creature' disappears. Video eliminates worrying about the unexpected timing (assuming you have lots of tape), but the quality is often so low as to be useless in identifying anything. And it's not like we have no evidence of these creatures, it's just bad evidence and easily disputable.

2) You said which I find abnormally wrong, because most eye-witness reports can be discredited because natural effects such as confusion, darkness, or the witness being tired. Sure some people may have seen something, but that doesn't make it a dragon/plesiosaur it doesn't really make it anything, seeing as how eye-witness reports arn't very stable evidence of anything.

However there are many group sightings, which is stronger evidence than an individual sighting as it means the odds are pretty low it's imagination. It of course doesn't prevent misidentification. Also there is some psych tests that show people will claim to see something if the rest of the group says they see it, even if they don't believe it themselves. However, group sighting are still much stronger evidence, especially when the members of the group are unlikely to be acquainted.

3) With all due respect, seeing as how there is like 6 Billion people on Earth, I would have to say that 10,000 people is not that many, statistically that is. 10,000 is not a large number these could all most all be people running away, being murdered without having their bodies found (don't forget the eye-witness reports though!), and rape victims, etc. Though I will admit some people probably disappear under mysterious circumstances not necessarily alien abduction, and for certain not being eaten by dragons.

Statistically speaking the world's population isn't evenly distributed, it's focused into 2 or 3 regions (China and India alone represent half the world population), the whole of europe and north america is 1 billion, and even that is not evenly distributed as it is now focused in urban centers. What you need to compare 10000 witness to is the number of unique people that have passed through the regions in question - this might be much higher percentage wise.

There certainly isn't proof. While I believe that some sightings were honest, and possibly even genuine, that does not constitute repeatable proof. Nonetheless, many people have had a profound experience, whatever the origin.

Dinosaur fossils do account for some of the legends. In China, herbalists grind up fossils "dragon bones" for medicinal use. However, it is odd that people in cold climates without large reptiles would assign these fossils as those of giant reptiles. In Germany for instance, there is a rhino fossil skull that was presented as a dragon skull.

Weather you think there is a chance that they exist at all, it is clear that the concept of the dragon is firmly embedded in the mind of man. We quite literally see the legends everywhere, and at all times. Even today, it is a symbol that gathers instant attention. Carl Sagen attempted to find an explanation for this in "Dragons of Eden" (whereupon he postulates that it is a remminent of mammalian mental programming from when small furry things tried not to get killed by dinosaurs).

While we in the west are quick to point out how the Chinese and Native Americans made dragons into Gods, fewer people are aware that the Bible is full of dragon lore as well, and like virtually every other stone and bronze age culture, the Hebrews worshipped the dragon as well. Yahweh originates from the Cannanite water dragon Yaw, also called Yam, and when this is understood, everything in the Bible becomes more clear.

This is why Yahweh breathes fire from his mouth and smoke from his nostrils. Why his highest associates are dragons, the seraphim, that in Hebrew means fiery flying serpents. He is the same dragon Enlil that floods the world in the original "Noah" story imitated a millenia later in the Bible. He is a huge physical creature that blocked the Jordan river with his body, and he demanded meat every day, including captured virgins and the first born sons of every Hebrew family. And like every self-respecting dragon, he loves treasure as well, and the Bible explains how for a price, you could buy your child back from the dragon. It is all explained in far greater detail, and how these stories relate to world wide dragon legends in my upcoming book which I am happy to say should be out for Christmas.

And no, this is the 113th dragon thread! But then, dragons are the oldest, and best known of all cryptic animals.

yea in ASIAN cultures dragons exist, but these days they exist SPIRITUALLY........like most lakes are occupy by a dragon. There's just soo many stories....but perhaps if you go to a lake and you were to joke areound about dragons, yea they willcome in your dream and stuff. they are supposely protectors of the lakes.

One time my cousin went to a lake and was joking around that a dragons was pulling him into the water, well his freind's mom is a psychic. They never told her where they went but that night the dragon came to her dream and told her that her son and his freinds were messing around at the lake and to not do it anymore cause it's serious stuff. yea next day they got caught.

There's always stories of dragons (spiritually) pulling people from lakes and rivers. Like a spirit of the water needs a wife so he will wil in and drown a girl so he can marry her spiritually. It may seem like non-sense but after a couple asian people drown at the same lake , you kind of belive it. Like people that have life jackets on still can drown. Yes in AMERICA

It's all in the crazy ASIAN culture

yea in ASIAN cultures dragons exist, but these days they exist SPIRITUALLY........like most lakes are occupy by a dragon. There's just soo many stories....but perhaps if you go to a lake and you were to joke areound about dragons, yea they willcome in your dream and stuff. they are supposely protectors of the lakes.

One time my cousin went to a lake and was joking around that a dragons was pulling him into the water, well his freind's mom is a psychic. They never told her where they went but that night the dragon came to her dream and told her that her son and his freinds were messing around at the lake and to not do it anymore cause it's serious stuff. yea next day they got caught.

There's always stories of dragons (spiritually) pulling people from lakes and rivers. Like a spirit of the water needs a wife so he will wil in and drown a girl so he can marry her spiritually. It may seem like non-sense but after a couple asian people drown at the same lake , you kind of belive it. Like people that have life jackets on still can drown. Yes in AMERICA

Yea,

But seriously, dragons were a figure of imagination. The Asian people, all of Asia have their own dragon. In India and South East Asia, we have the Nagas, the dragons-serpent that is the ruler of heaven. In China, Japan and Korea, they have the Ryuu / Long, almost the same dragons as in other parts. But this was, I guess, due to the wide influence and conquest done by the Chinese empire and was greatly overrated especially by the silk road. Perhaps this is the trigger of the dragon phenomenon in Europe. You know old people. They thought that being realted to a mythological great creature is so cool and hip, they decided to adopt the legend.

EATEN BY DRAGONS, YES!!!!!!! dragons are smarter than people and lure people into the water, it's like they are telepathically reading your mind and hypnotizing people into the water, thats how dragons takes lives in the asian culture

Yea,

But seriously, dragons were a figure of imagination. The Asian people, all of Asia have their own dragon. In India and South East Asia, we have the Nagas, the dragons-serpent that is the ruler of heaven. In China, Japan and Korea, they have the Ryuu / Long, almost the same dragons as in other parts. But this was, I guess, due to the wide influence and conquest done by the Chinese empire and was greatly overrated especially by the silk road. Perhaps this is the trigger of the dragon phenomenon in Europe. You know old people. They thought that being realted to a mythological great creature is so cool and hip, they decided to adopt the legend.

Well, Capo, they certainly reside in the imagination (weather or not anywhere else is speculative). This myth has been around in most cultures before even the venerable Chinese Empire. Whatever phenomenon was responsible for planting the idea in the imaginations and cultures of the world happened very long ago indeed.

Edited by Archosaur

I wish they did exist... they're so magical..

whilst it would be interesting if they did exist ever, it is most unlikely that they did....at least in the form that they are thought of nowadays.

people around the world in many apparently different cultures have believed in creatures/entities that approximate to our conception of the flying serpent/dragon...but that doesnt mean that each had a common source. The differences in their conception are as important as their similar points. In some cultures that are said to revere a dragon or dragons we find that they are archetypes of serpent deities/entities; in other cultures a development of thought is discernable and with it the evolution of the concept. In some cultures where they are found folk recognised them as constructs, with powerful meaning and symbolism attached yes, but without believing they actually exist.

Many religions of the past have been 'mystery' religions...i personally include many of the modern ones in this category...quite simply i mean that there is significance to each 'level of understanding' that the paradigm embraces. the higher you go the closer you get to 'the truth'. Think of a scale from 1-10 with one being the lowest level of understanding....the folk at 5 or 6 might scoff at the primitive and supersitious beliefs of those at 1 or 2 but might think themselves to be scoffed at by those at 8 or 9. As the doors of perception open and a person moves from 3 to 4 to 5 they may feel outrage at the way they have appeared to have been lied to and might even try to lift those they had surpassed, they may become disilusioned and leave their faith or break away from the 'established' form. Those at the highest levels of understanding have either struggled through this inner conflict or beat a straight path, they usually perpetuate the system because they can see the reasons for each level, each mystery, each ritual, each superstition. It is important to point out that the levels of understanding do not always correspond to official levels within an institutionalized hierarchy.

the varience in their depictions and conceptions mean that no single creature can be responsible for each. so either there are myriad creatures to be included into a dragon 'class' or .....none exist as we conceptualise them today.

The fact that many people have believed in dragons, or believed that they have seen one does not mean that they have, or that they really exist.

This is as true of crowds of people as it is for individuals. Perception is a funny thing.

2) You said which I find abnormally wrong, because most eye-witness reports can be discredited because natural effects such as confusion, darkness, or the witness being tired. Sure some people may have seen something, but that doesn't make it a dragon/plesiosaur it doesn't really make it anything, seeing as how eye-witness reports arn't very stable evidence of anything.

3) With all due respect, seeing as how there is like 6 Billion people on Earth, I would have to say that 10,000 people is not that many, statistically that is. 10,000 is not a large number these could all most all be people running away, being murdered without having their bodies found (don't forget the eye-witness reports though!), and rape victims, etc. Though I will admit some people probably disappear under mysterious circumstances not necessarilly alien abduction, and for certain not being eaten by dragons.

Also I am still waiting to the responces of my other question.

Thank you,

Joel.

Yes, because everyone walks around with a camera or a camera phone so just in case they see a dragon they can take a picture and while i may not believe in nessie, you cant honestly expect people to get proof while they're amazed from seeing it

Yes, because everyone walks around with a camera or a camera phone so just in case they see a dragon they can take a picture and while i may not believe in nessie, you cant honestly expect people to get proof while they're amazed from seeing it

I'm not saying just photos are need for proof. From there being thousands of sightings to no sightings in the span of a few hundred years when dragons themselves are rumoured to live for hundreds upon hundreds of years. You still think that corpses, teeth, claws, scales, and yes photos of huge flying 30-120 foot serpents would exist.

amirite?

I'm not saying just photos are need for proof. From there being thousands of sightings to no sightings in the span of a few hundred years when dragons themselves are rumoured to live for hundreds upon hundreds of years. You still think that corpses, teeth, claws, scales, and yes photos of huge flying 30-120 foot serpents would exist.

amirite?

do ya think there might be some correlation between what u mentioned above and ....no ufo sightings a couple hundred yrs ago and thousands now?

have dragons been supplanted by ufos as the nutter's hallucination of choice? ....... or is that just what they want us to think?

(the statement above has taken into consideration space men theories relating to ancient cultures...and discarded it like some dirty nappy.)

Somehow I also hope the dragons were real. Imagine what we can have:

Dragon riders, dragon races, dragon polo, or think about high pursuit on a dragon's back. Now that's HARD COPY!