Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Germany foils 'massive' bomb plot

Guest Lottie

Three men have been arrested in Germany on suspicion of planning a "massive" terrorist attack on US facilities in the country, officials have said.

Federal prosecutor Monika Harms said the three had trained at camps in Pakistan and procured some 700kg (1,500lbs) of chemicals for explosives.

She said the accused had sought to target facilities visited by Americans, such as nightclubs, pubs or airports.

Defence Minister Franz Josef Jung said the men had posed "an imminent threat".

Media reports said they were planning attacks against a US military base in Ramstein and Frankfurt airport.

Surveillance effort

Ms Harms said the men planned to use vehicles loaded with the explosives to kill or injure large numbers of people.

The arrests had prevented "massive bomb attacks", she said.

The suspects, aged 22, 28 and 29, were alleged to be members of the German cell of a group she named as Islamic Jihad Union.

Two of the men were German nationals who had converted to Islam, while the third was a Turkish man.

Ms Harms said the al-Qaeda-linked group had set up the cell last year.

All three men had attended a training camp in Pakistan, police sources said.

More info here: BBC News

Glad they caught them that could have been really nasty.

Edited by Lottie

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• Birmingham

• Stardrive

• stevewinn

Top Posters In This Topic

good bust...thats what we should be doing fighting international terrorism...instead we create terrorists in a civil war..then fight them..

I agree, Lottie. I rather not see anymore attacks on innocent people.

Good job, Germany.

Edited by MoonPrincess

Additional news:

ATTACKS ON FRANKFURT AIRPORT, RAMSTEIN PLANNED

Three Islamist Terror Suspects Arrested in Germany

Three terror suspects have been arrested in Germany. They are thought to have been plotting bomb attacks on Frankfurt Airport and the US military base at Ramstein.

Three Islamist terror suspects have been arrested in Germany, under suspicion of plotting bomb attacks on Frankfurt Airport and the US military air base at Ramstein.

The three men were arrested in Medebach-Oberschledorn in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia on Tuesday afternoon. Around 20 police were involved in the arrests, and there are reports that shots were fired. According to the Associated Press, the three men were staying in a vacation apartment. Local newspaper Hessische-Niedersächsische Allgemeine reported that police from Germany's elite GSG-9 unit had stormed the flat. Raids also later took place in other federal states, according to media reports.

Full story, Source: Der Spiegel

This didn't really happen. There is no such thing as terrorism. Terrorists are fictional beings like leprachauns and eskimos.

Edited by BrucePrime

More info here: BBC News

Glad they caught them that could have been really nasty.

Is it just me thinking that all the terrorists that are caught nowadays are muslim?

Edited by 1.618

Is it just me thinking that all the terrorists that are caught nowadays are muslim?

First, I am glad the Germans caought them. I am using the Frankfurt Airport with my family most of the time when I am in Europe.

Second, No, not all the terrorists they chatch are muslims. What happened just a few days ago in Spain and France with ETA??????

Third, my friend, this is not I believe a thread intended to bash on muslims but to see how we all can help fighting terrorism in the world not matter what nationality or religion the terrorists belong.

Good job Germany.

Hi.

Denmark arrested Bomb suspects,

Danish police have arrested two people with suspected links to al-Qaeda on suspicion of planning a bomb attack.

Officials gave no details about the alleged plot, but said the two had already acquired explosive material.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6977741.stm

Steve,

The German National; TV chanel ARD reports in its 20:00 news that the "head" of the group is a German converted to Islam.

If some of the reports coming out of Germany are true, I do have to tip my hat to German police and inteligence agencies. Apparently the leader of this group was arested at the start of this year. But released. Infact, the leader was trailed after his release to the other members of the terrorist cell. Then followed as he and his friends bought the explosives.. After getting and storing the explosives, German police broke in to the storage facility and switched out the explosive chemicals and replaced it with an inert chemical. Then busted the terrorists at the final stage of the plot with everything on audio tape and film.

If some of the reports coming out of Germany are true, I do have to tip my hat to German police and inteligence agencies. Apparently the leader of this group was arested at the start of this year. But released. Infact, the leader was trailed after his release to the other members of the terrorist cell. Then followed as he and his friends bought the explosives.. After getting and storing the explosives, German police broke in to the storage facility and switched out the explosive chemicals and replaced it with an inert chemical. Then busted the terrorists at the final stage of the plot with everything on audio tape and film.

They can afford to be thorough... there is no Department of Homeland security that has to organize a torch course for every guy they find trying to light his shoes....

Yep, the profesionalism of the German authorities in managing this incident is remarcable.

And as update on the story:

Germany hunting 10 more suspects in Islamist bomb plot

06/09/2007 12h15

BERLIN (AFP) - German police have launched an international hunt for 10 accomplices of the three men held over a foiled Islamist plot to blow up airports and US installations in Germany, a top official said Thursday.

"Terrorist attacks need preparation. We are trying to identify all of those who were working in the shadows," Deputy Interior Minister August Hanning told ARD television.

Police were searching for "the 10 people who were behind this" within Germany and abroad, he added.

Anti-terrorist police on Tuesday arrested two German converts to Islam and a Turk who they said had stockpiled more than 700 kilogrammes (1,500 pounds) of chemicals to use in "massive" attacks on US targets.

Interior Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble described the men as "very dangerous terrorists". He said they belonged to the Islamic Jihad Union, a group with links to Al-Qaeda, and had undergone training in Pakistan last year.

Hanning said the suspects still at large were of German, Turkish and other nationalities.

The three main suspects were arrested by members of Germany's GSG9 anti-terrorist unit in a raid on a rented two-storey house with a manicured garden in the Sauerland area near Frankfurt.

According to Hanning, police were "speculating" that Frankfurt's busy international airport may have been among the places they were planning to target in attacks potentially as deadly as those on the public transport systems of Madrid in 2004 and London in 2005. Those attacks killed a total of 234 people.

Federal prosecutors identified the men as Fritz Martin G., a 28-year-old German, Daniel Martin S., 21 and also German, and Adem Y., a 28-year-old Turk.

Full story, Source: AFP

If some of the reports coming out of Germany are true, I do have to tip my hat to German police and intelligence agencies. Apparently the leader of this group was arrested at the start of this year. But released. In fact, the leader was trailed after his release to the other members of the terrorist cell. Then followed as he and his friends bought the explosives.. After getting and storing the explosives, German police broke in to the storage facility and switched out the explosive chemicals and replaced it with an inert chemical. Then busted the terrorists at the final stage of the plot with everything on audio tape and film.

edit for typos

Wow. Is there a source on this, I'd like to read more because, wow, imagine the manpower, expertise, planning and timing needed to pull a job odd like this.

Either way, nice job Germany! :tu: