Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Victorian Vampire.

Hammys Teddy

Many years ago a family of two brothers and their sister moved into house called Croglin Low Hall.

At first they were very happy, but one night something strange happened.

Amelia was asleep in her room when she heard a strange noise outside.

When she looked out of the window she saw what she describes as a strange creature.

It had a mass of unkempt hair, glowing red eyes and long, sharp teeth.

She screamed and her brothers ran to help her, but by the time they got there it was too late.

The creature had already attacked Amelia.

It had bitten her throat and blood was streaming down her neck.

Fortunately she was still alive.

One of the brothers looked out of the window and saw the strange creature a little way off in the distance.

He immediately took his gun and fired at the creature, wounding it in the leg.

Despite the injury the creature managed to escape.

At daylight the next morning they organised a search for the creature.

Finding a disturbed tomb in the nearby cemetery, they entered to find a coffin which had bee opened.

Inside the coffin was a body. It had long unkempt hair and long teeth.

Stranger yet, it had a fresh gunshot wound in its leg.

They sealed the coffin, built a large pyre and burned it with the body inside.

The creature never troubled them again.

* excerpt from ‘The Big Book of Horror Stories for Teddies’*

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dancin'hamster

• Agent_21

• Cufflink

• Hammys Teddy

Nice little story,there.Although i fear Hammy's Teddy may be a little scared.Read him a nicec little nursery tale,that'll cheer him up grin2.gif

My Teddy ~ scared?

laugh.gif

Never!

This is a very famous story and perhaps that is all it is........ a story ~

The Lake District has lots of ghost stories associated with its bleak moores and stunning mountains, but this is the only vampire story.

'The Croglin Grange story continued in 1968 when psychic researcher Scott Rogo offered a new challenge. He noted the likeness of the story at Croglin Grange to the first chapter of Varney the Vampyre, the popular vampire story originally published in 1847. The accounts, both of which were published in 1929 by Montague Summers, are very similar, and it is likely that one is based on the other, according to Rogo. He suggested that the whole Croglin Grange story could be dismissed as a simple hoax.

At a later date, Clive-Ross discussed the case again with residents of the area. He was told that there was a significant mistake in Hare's original account: the story took place not in the 1870s, but in the 1680s, almost two centuries earlier. While this fact would definitely place the events prior to the publication of Varney the Vampyre, it also pushes the story far enough into the past as to turn it into unverifiable legend'

Hmmmmmmmmmm..................fancy a weekend in the Lakes Teddy?

Hammy x x x

I'm not convinced that this ia a true story but..........I first read it when I was a nipper n it scared the c**p outta me then n still does lol

Hammy's Teady was that a true ghost story? Okay that might be a stupid question! tongue.gif

Hi Cuda!

I know Teddy wont mind me answering for him - he's at a pic-nic in the woods with some other Teddies at the moment laugh.gif

Yes it is believed to be a true story!

I've hunted high & low for a picture of the Hall that shows the bedroom window bricked up!

It is also believed to date from the 17th Century, not the Victorian era.

Hope this helps!

Hammy x x x

Yes it is believed to be a true story!

huh.gif

Got me all confoodled, Hams. As much as I like the Croglin vampire story, it's just that...a story. So why is it considered true?

It's considered to be true ~ cos LOTS of fabricated stories are regarded as fact. See my first comments, second one down Cuffs wink2.gif

I know Teddy wont mind me answering for him - he's at a pic-nic in the woods with some other Teddies at the moment  laugh.gif

Oh, today's the day. No-one told me! disgust.gif