Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Viking ship 'buried beneath pub'

glorybebe

The vessel could be similar to the longship, the Sea Stallion

A 1,000-year-old Viking longship is thought to have been discovered under a pub car park on Merseyside.

The vessel is believed to lie beneath 6ft to 10ft (2m to 3m) of clay by the Railway Inn in Meols, Wirral, where Vikings are known to have settled.

Experts believe the ship could be one of Britain's most significant archaeological finds.

Professor Stephen Harding, of the University of Nottingham, is now seeking funds to pay for an excavation.

The Viking expert used ground penetrating radar (GPR) equipment to pinpoint the ship's whereabouts.

He believes the vessel could be carefully removed and exhibited in a museum.

Professor Harding said: "The next stage is the big one. Using the GPR technique only cost £450, but we have to think carefully about what to do next.

viking

Very cool!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glorybebe

• Star_girl

• Siara

• swtp

The vessel could be similar to the longship, the Sea Stallion

A 1,000-year-old Viking longship is thought to have been discovered under a pub car park on Merseyside.

Well, first things first. Obviously they'll have to wait until the pub goes out of business before they do anything further.

Seriously speaking, it's really cool and thanks for posting it, glorybebe

Edited by Siara

Well, first things first. Obviously they'll have to wait until the pub goes out of business before they do anything further.

Seriously speaking, it's really cool and thanks for posting it, glorybebe

Just provide the beer, and get everyone drunked up, I am sure you could convince them to start digging,LOL!

Couldn,t they just move the pub temporarily like many people move there homes to a different lot? Then have a look see and take the ship to a museum, and then put the pub back! Or is the pub it,s self to old to handle a move like that without destroying it? I sure would like to see them come up with a way though, it would be quite exciting!

they should relocate the pub and when it is rebuilt they can redocorate it with Viking stuff because of the ship!

they should relocate the pub and when it is rebuilt they can redocorate it with Viking stuff because of the ship!

That's a cool idea! And it would probably be a big hit, too!

I would love for them to be able to bring up the vessel...The Viking era always intrigued me...Hopefully they'll find a way to satisfy the pub owners, but to some, history means moot....

Obviously you don't know Merseyside then? LOL

If they done anything like that, the locals would have stripped the place bare within 10 minutes of it being opened!!!! The Vikings may have pillaged & plundered, but they were mere ***** cats compared to the scally's of Merseyside !!!! LOL

You don't stop at traffic lights in Merseyside, else your car ends up on bricks!! The locals have removing wheels from stationary vehicles down to sub-Formula1 pit crew times & the locals only use hand tools!!!

Obviously you don't know Merseyside then? LOL

If they done anything like that, the locals would have stripped the place bare within 10 minutes of it being opened!!!! The Vikings may have pillaged & plundered, but they were mere ***** cats compared to the scally's of Merseyside !!!! LOL

You don't stop at traffic lights in Merseyside, else your car ends up on bricks!! The locals have removing wheels from stationary vehicles down to sub-Formula1 pit crew times & the locals only use hand tools!!!

Well, I guess that is one name stripped off of my to visit list! LOL.

I was on holiday in the states and while in San Francisco, CA I was told that there was a vast graveyard of ships buried beneath the city. Here is an article I was referred to: Click Here

Edited by evil inside

So it sounds like its not actually under the pub building itself, but just the car park? Maybe the pub patrons could just park elsewhere until the dig was complete. The excavation would probably attract extra business to the pub from curious on-lookers(and thirsty archaeologists). :yes: