Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Europe caves in on metrication.

ships-cat

According to a story from Her Majesties Imperial Broadcasting Corporation It appears that the EU has given up on it's attempt to impose metrication on the UK. Under the previous scheme, Britons would have been forced to abandon imperial measurements on pain of criminal prosecution. (And indeed, one market trader has already been to prison for selling fruit exclusively in "pounds and ounces"). Traders will still have to display metric measurements in tandem with the imperial ones.

Or something.

Meow Purr.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mekorig

• ships-cat

• questionmark

• Birmingham

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't know who told Britons that traditional measures could not be used anymore, unless there is a British law to that effect. The EUs requirement is that measurements have to be indicated in metric but does not forbid traditional measurements...

Well, I don't know who told Britons that traditional measures could not be used anymore, unless there is a British law to that effect. The EUs requirement is that measurements have to be indicated in metric but does not forbid traditional measurements...

No Questionmark, the EU is a jealous god and forbids polygamy. New rules coming in (over the next 3 years) require that ONLY metric measurements can be displayed. Under these rules, it is ILLEGAL to specify non-metric measurements, even in the small-print, even if the metric measurements are listed in large-type. This probably doesn't effect most European countries, but in the UK we like our pints and miles. (yes... every single road-sign would have to be replaced with a "kilometers/meters-only" version. The display of 'miles' would be BANNED.

And you wonder why people are starting to revolt against the EU ? :P

Meow Purr.

Well, while i found a little stupid the obligation of only metric announcements, i agree that having two distinc mesure system in a single economical and political entity can generate a lot of problems. Take a look at the Hubble incident to know about it.

Its a small Victory for us Brits against the EU,

Nigel Farage from UKIP is a great speaker in the EU, he tells it straight,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grLmZGlzBW8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWSYMpuCFaQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeDSQsanrc8

Steve

Well, while i found a little stupid the obligation of only metric announcements, i agree that having two distinc mesure system in a single economical and political entity can generate a lot of problems. Take a look at the Hubble incident to know about it.

Actually the Hubble was compleatly measured in one measurement. It was a screw up in the polishing, and not related to the system of measurement used. What you are thinking of was the Mars research mission where two sets of measurements where used and not recognized.

And you wonder why people are starting to revolt against the EU ? :P

Meow Purr.

it is quite puerile to revolt against something nobody cares about, or do you know anybody who knows anything about the issues in the last EU parliament elections?

Did you ever wonder why parties send their third rated people to Strasbourg, where about 60% of the laws are made that will affect every Europeans life?

We've had the metric system for some time here in Canada and we still use the imperial system everyday and every where ie I'm in the construction industry and everything we sell is either done by the foot or the square yard, the product just has to be labled with the metric system. I never use MPH I use KPH, I wieght 170 lbs and I don't have a clue what I wiegh in Kilo's. We have intigrated both, but ya it is illegal not to have metric lable's on products. However I have never heard of a vendor being arrested for selling anything using the imperial system though, I see sreet vendors all the time selling fruit and vegetables by the pound everyday hmmmm I wonder if it's a law that is just never enforced here.

According to a story from Her Majesties Imperial Broadcasting Corporation It appears that the EU has given up on it's attempt to impose metrication on the UK. Under the previous scheme, Britons would have been forced to abandon imperial measurements on pain of criminal prosecution. (And indeed, one market trader has already been to prison for selling fruit exclusively in "pounds and ounces"). Traders will still have to display metric measurements in tandem with the imperial ones.

Or something.

Meow Purr.

Mines a pint !

Europe can **** off ! :D