Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gay Marriage

Atheist God

So Why do people so adamantly oppose Gay rights?

Gay people are no different then anyone else yet in the US they are treated like they are less then human.

Gays and Lesbians want to be married many of whom want to do so in a church of their choosing. Yet they are denied what everyone else enjoys why is this. Is it not in the US constitution that every person has the right to pursue happiness? Aren't all men and women equal?

This issue is really no different then other civil rights issues in the past.

Telling homosexuals they cannot get married in the church of their choice or not at all realistically as I have said before is no different then telling a black man he can't use a washroom because it is whites only or that he can only ride in the back of th bus because whites are only allowed to sit in front.

Many use the argument that homosexuality in unnatural yet scientifically it has been proven that homosexuality is quite natural and can even be observed in over 500 species of other animal and even in some insects as well.

It was Jesus who said "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". So why deny gays and lesbians the same rights everyone else has. You don't have to approve of someones lifestyle or be actively involved in their personal lives but simply let them do as they please and be fair to them as you would anyone else.

For those who oppose gay marriage I have a question...

How will letting gay people harm you or disrupt your life in any way at all?

There is simply no valid reason to let rampant discrimination against any group of minorities.

I find this issue really gets to the heart of many civil rights issues still prevalent today in many cultures. What valid reason can anyone give to discriminate and hate other people for who and what they are?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Hill

• Neognosis

• Stixxman

• Lt_Ripley

They have this idea that two people they dont know getting married will some how ruin their marriage, or something.

Honestly I dont know, I'd rather not think like a conservative I might suffer brain damage.

Boy, I can see where this topic is headed too :unsure:.

I think it is perfectly fine to be against gay marriage, there is nothing wrong with that. But it is when those who are against it demand to be put in law, restrictions on two consenting, loving, adults who just want to be together.

Boy, I can see where this topic is headed too :unsure:.

I think it is perfectly fine to be against gay marriage, there is nothing wrong with that. But it is when those who are against it demand to be put in law, restrictions on two consenting, loving, adults who just want to be together.

No one said people have to approve of the lifestyle gays and lesbians live but to deny them the right to marriage in their venue of choice whether it is a church or not is discrimination. If straight people can get married in a church gay people should be able to as well. You can't hold anything against somebody for simply being who and what they are.

No one said people have to approve of the lifestyle gays and lesbians live but to deny them the right to marriage in their venue of choice whether it is a church or not is discrimination. If straight people can get married in a church gay people should be able to as well. You can't hold anything against somebody for simply being who and what they are.

Although I have no problem with gay marriage, I do not think you should force churches to marry gay's. It would go against their religious teachings. I think that should at least be tolerated since a church isn't the only place you can be married. If there are any churches willing to marry gays though, I don't see a problem.

I don't give a toss if two men or two women wish to marry. Go nuts.

It's them adopting I have issues with.

It's ridiculous to assume that the kid is going to somehow become gay...effeminate perhaps, but not gay...I have problems with the slack the kids going to get at school.

It's wrong to put a kid in an awkward situation in life just so you can have a novelty baby (and let's face it...babies are a novelty) especially adopted ones.

It's ridiculous to assume that the kid is going to somehow become gay...effeminate perhaps, but not gay...I have problems with the slack the kids going to get at school.

It's wrong to put a kid in an awkward situation in life just so you can have a novelty baby (and let's face it...babies are a novelty) especially adopted ones.

There is a flipside to that actually. Gay couples dont have unwanted babies. If they do choose to adopt, they're more likely to be ready to raise a child. Theres no evidence that children raised by gay parents suffer any adverse effects beyond being bullied more at school.

Each to their own! Adopting kids could be an issue, as someone already stated imagine the slack they would take at school.

they should be equally miserable as a straight married couple

as long as they don't shoot up a School full of straight people gays can and should do what ever they want

All kids get slack in school from other kids.

The thing is again refusing to allow gay couples to adopt is also discrimination.

What the real problem is in society is the negativity shown towards homosexuals.

One of my friends grew up with 2 moms and never had any problems in school. While there are a few kids who made fun he got over it, it just really wasn't that big of a deal. Every kid is going to get made fun of in school by other kids there is simply no way of avoiding this. I was one of the only white kids at my school and was picked on and beaten up for it on a daily basis, yet I turned out fine.

If was a kid in an orphanage i would rather be picked on in school for having gay parents then not having a family to go home to and spend time with. Fact is there is nothing wrong with having children adopted or not to share your love with. Couples don't have kids because they are a novelty item they have kids because they want family, I think any child would rather have 2 parents in their lives as opposed to not. People can't say that a child would be better off if gay people did not adopt them.

Besides it's not like a child or the parents have to advertise to the school that their parents are gay and this would avoid the situation all together. This being said at the same time people should not have to hide who they are and where they come from. If things are done right people wouldn't have to hide anything and the social view regarding gays would change. Most people here in Canada don't even care and kids who have gay parents generally don't have any harder of a time in school then the next kid. In other countries like the US though this has to change and social tolerance needs to change.

I think it is more a matter of what will be allowed next. If any two people are allowed to marry, fine. But, what about when three people want to all marry each other? Are you going to allow that, or are you going to discriminate against them? What about people who want to marry their animals? Or children? Or a tree? Where does it logically stop and discrimination begin?

I think that marrage should have no effect on how the government treats you. Then it would only be a religious ceremony of devotion to one another and people would not be screaming that gays only want cheaper taxes and other gimme's from the government.

I haven't got a problem with *spam filter*, as long as both the women are babes.

p.s.

But to be perfectly honest, the mental image of two men 'getting it on' frankly turns my stomach.

God, mention Gay marriage and suddenly.. the liberals are all 'pro-christian.'

Surely only Christians want to get married in church!

Other than that, it's just a nice setting for a idealistic, romantic, quaint delusion.

God, mention Gay marriage and suddenly.. the liberals are all 'pro-christian.'

Surely only Christians want to get married in church!

Other than that, it's just a nice setting for a idealistic, romantic, quaint delusion.

What is pro christian about what has been said? The point that is being made is that if two people want to get married then they should be able to do so in the manner of their choice, if that is in a church there should be no problem; their sexuality should not be an issue.

You do get Gay Christians you know!

What is pro christian about what has been said? The point that is being made is that if two people want to get married then they should be able to do so in the manner of their choice, if that is in a church there should be no problem; their sexuality should not be an issue.

Exactly!

This is really the issue here gays should be able to do as they please when they please provided they don't hurt anyone else. For people to say gays should not be entitled to get married at a church if they are religious is not only discrimination but as I said just as wrong as telling black people they can only use black washrooms or that they can sit on the back of the bus. Of course people are going to say but thats not the same thing, but really it is because discrimination is discrimination regardless of what people think is right.

Alright.. I agree that if a gay couple want to wed in a church, they should be allowed to, more so if the church reseves any government funding or cuts.. which most get cuts. But at the very heart of it, its not about the church at all, and thats where the problem lies. You have marriage... and you have a wedding.. and at least in the US, there is nothing religious about being married, NOTHING AT ALL.. if you want to discriminate against gays based on what God wants for His people, then Atheist shouldn't be allowed to marry.. right? A marriage is nothing more then a legal binding between two people, you can get this done in a court house, a WEDDING is the religious aspect and frankly, you don't have to HAVE a religious wedding, you can have a none religious one in a park or on a beach, you don't have to have the church involved in any of it.. so the moral issue is null.. it does not exist... it is two CONSENTING (unlike animals, children and trees) Adults. And looking at it like this, I can't help but think the government has not evolved in the least or learned from any of its mistakes. There is a separation of church and state that should prevent this from being an issue at all, a separation that so many over look based on the "tradition" of being married in a church.. These people are American citizens, they pay their taxes, they have SS numbers, do jury duty, they are expected to conform to all over standards of living but are not allowed the.. ahem.. privilege.. of marriage.. its a PRIVILEGE now? Does this sound real to you?

"When did you get married? Ohh thats lovely, did you get married in a church? Oh.. you didn't.. hmmm then you're not really married...."

Hah... just.. hah. I would LOVE someone to say that to me, really... seeing as I was married in a courthouse. I really want someone to take the religious aspect out of marriage and tell me exactly WHAT is wrong with two people who love each other being together? And all that entails... power of attorney, decision making abilitys in a medical situation, shearing a name with someone, financial responsibilitys and the welfare of children.. If you are not looking at it through the eyes of God.. why should a gay couple have any less right to marry? Give me a good reason.

As for children... I read just the other day about a straight woman who set her 3 children on fire.. I could prolly google hundreds of cases of abuse of children in heterosexual homes.. Mothers and fathers fight all the time, and the children are effected.. married couples divorce, children are torn between parents, interracial couples produce children all the time and those kids are JUST AS LIKELY to be picked on in school as anyone else. What, exactly, is wrong with giving a child who has no family a chance at having one? There is a system in place to monitor adoptive children, make sure they are adjusting, and I'm sure they take children from hetero couples all the time.. but homosexual couples are set to a higher standard? And even so, how many homosexual parents do you see on the news who kill their children? I've seen 2 cases where a child was taken from a homosexual mother by a discriminating judge, and in both cases the judge was found wrong and the child returned.. And just as these two cases where all over the news.. any act of violence towards a child by a homosexual parent would be just as likely to be publicized.. so someone find me one, cause I know of none. Again there is no argument for child abuse by homosexuals.. and I seriously doubt there is any precedence in the myth these children will be "corrupted" by homosexuality in the home.. they are more likely to be corrupted by the ignorance and hate taught by those who discriminate.

I really think that once the separation of church and state is in place, and homosexuals are allowed to marry, with or without the church, the religious community will start to accept the unions. As always, the government has to take the first step.

To right, :tu:

Marriage, in a church,... Christian ceremony. Christ... you do know what a church is? :blink:

You do get Gay Christians you know!

Yeah I know, naturally their 'confusion' would creep into other aspects of their lives..

:blink:

Yeah I know, naturally their 'confusion' would creep into other aspects of their lives..

ya every sunday morning the gays are lining up...what are you crazy at 8am?..the clubs open til 4...

p.s.

But to be perfectly honest, the mental image of two men 'getting it on' frankly turns my stomach.

Yes very true... especially if they have beards... erruck two hairy men with beards 'touching' each other?

Think, I'm going to be sick! errryucccckeee.

ya every sunday morning the gays are lining up...what are you crazy at 8am?..the clubs open til 4...

Their Bible says so...

I'm not a Christian...

But being a Cristian Gay is a state of confusion. It's a bit like being muslim but you're against pedophilia. Can't be done.

Edited by billyhill

The Gay movement is so reactionary... won't be long before it goes full circle..

"Ooh.. if straight men can fall in love with and marry women, so can we!"

Marriage, in a church,... Christian ceremony. Christ... you do know what a church is? :blink:

Sorry, but do you have problems reading and understanding. Their was no 'pro christian' aspect to the post. The post was saying that if Gay people wanted to get married they should be able to do so in whatever manner they want. The church doesn't allow it which is what was wrong.

The post was pro human rights for all, not pro christian at all.

Hope that's clear enough for you