Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Belgium (Almost) Auctioned on eBay

questionmark

Belgium (Almost) Auctioned on eBay

The political problems in Belgium are mounting, as are the frustrations of the country's 10 million citizens. One man decided it was time to sell the country -- debt and royalty included.

Getting rid of old stuff -- no matter how run down, shabby or broken -- has never been easier. Just advertise it on eBay and before long the bids add up, the auction comes to an end, and your junk has a proud new owner.

But what do you do if the broken object happens to be a European country like Belgium? Apparently, that too can be sold on the Internet auction site. After 100 days of watching his country fail time and again to set up a government following June 10 elections, teacher Gerrit Six decided to put Belgium up for sale.

"For Sale: Belgium, a kingdom in three parts," the advertisement read. Six was also willing to throw in the king and his court at no extra cost -- though he did make sure the buyer was aware that supporting a monarch was not cheap.

"I wanted to attract attention," Six told the Associated Press. "You almost have to throw a rock through a window to get attention for Belgium."

Specifically, he wanted to shine the spotlight on the ongoing power struggle between the country's French-speaking Walloons and the Dutch-speaking Flemings -- a tug-of-war that is threatening to pull Belgium apart. The Flemings want more autonomy, primarily to force the poorer Wallonia region to become more accountable. The Walloons, for their part, would like to see a stronger federal government. Due to the complicated power calculus designed to hold the country together, the dispute has so far prevented them from being able to form a government.

Full story, Source: Der Spiegel

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• el midgetron

• ships-cat

• ifisurvive

• questionmark

Top Posters In This Topic

26 bids and up to 10,000,000 Euros? I'm surprised there was that much interest. Someone must be really fond of chocolate and Stella :P

I bet they allready have some multi-billion dollar company or the bank of England lined up as a buyer. Its the wave of the future, where we can all look forward to being owned by a corporation. A neo-monarchy where Burger King's "king" is actualy a king to be worshipped by his subjects. :lol:

Edited by el midgetron

I bet they allready have some multi-billion dollar company or the bank of England lined up as a buyer. Its the wave of the future, where we can all look forward to being owned by a corporation. A neo-monarchy where Burger King's "king" is actualy a king to be worshipped by his subjects. :lol:

He he he .. errr... did you read the OP 'Midge ? :)

Meow Purr.

He he he .. errr... did you read the OP 'Midge ? :)

Meow Purr.

Yes, I know it wasn't really up for sale. It is something I can see happening though. We are currently selling our roads to foreign corporations, how long before we ditch elections and just hire the best corporation to run the country?

I'd buy Belgium.

Good beer.

Good food.

Chocolate.

Fabrique Nationale (FN), which manufactures some of the finest civilian and military firearms in the world.

Packed full of history (The Romans greatly feared the Flams of present-day northern Belgium because they were such fierce fighters, Flanders Fields, Waterloo, Battle of the Bulge, one of the world's leading textile producers in the 16th and 17th centuries, art, Renaissance buildings, the city of Brugge, the Ardennes Forest ... yeah, I'll buy Belgium.

Um ... they take checks?

I wonder how much the shipping costs on Belgium are? lol

If I owned Belgium, I would make people pay me a nickel every time they said "Belgium" (cha-ching). I would also license out the name "Belgium" to all kinds of products like beer coolers, table-top grills, cereal, energy drinks or dietary supplements. I might even start a clothing line. Oh, and of course I would also tax the poo out of the middle class. :D

Edited by el midgetron

I'd buy Belgium !

someone should put bush up just to see what he'd fetch and put it towards the deficit. then finally we can say he was useful.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

someone should put bush up just to see what he'd fetch and put it towards the deficit. then finally we can say he was useful.

I suspect listing Bush on eBay would result in a visit from homeland security.

Anyway, I bet some nutjob would bid Bush way up, he is our saviour after all. Proceeds from any such auction would certainly be "lost".

Edited by el midgetron

I've been to Belgium (well, a little village called Sourbrot, or somesuch, anyway) :)

It's quite nice :) They have this wonderful White Beer, and there are peaunuts and nibbles on all the tables in the pubs. When you've eaten the nibbles, the barman brings some more round.

Apparantly there is a wider Belgium that incorporates Culture and stuff, but once we found the White Beer and Nibbles, it seemd pointless to search any further, so we stayed in the pub for 5 days. :)

Meow Purr.

I've been to Belgium (well, a little village called Sourbrot, or somesuch, anyway) :)

It's quite nice :) They have this wonderful White Beer, and there are peaunuts and nibbles on all the tables in the pubs. When you've eaten the nibbles, the barman brings some more round.

Apparantly there is a wider Belgium that incorporates Culture and stuff, but once we found the White Beer and Nibbles, it seemd pointless to search any further, so we stayed in the pub for 5 days. :)

Meow Purr.

Ah, perhaps if you'd had longer to visit you could have progressed to the tiny bar next to Antwerp cathedral where they serve 100 different varieties of beer. Or the other a few streets away where I heard they serve 200 varieties... :wacko:

I'd buy Belgium !

You mean somebody would really give something for that lemon?

Ah, perhaps if you'd had longer to visit you could have progressed to the tiny bar next to Antwerp cathedral where they serve 100 different varieties of beer. Or the other a few streets away where I heard they serve 200 varieties... :wacko:

100 varieties ?

Most intersting... HOWEVER... what about the Nibbles ? :)

Meow Purr.

100 varieties ?

Meow Purr.

Nah, that makes the price drop, how can you rule a country that has 200 varieties of beer ands two official languages?

100 varieties ?

Meow Purr.

I think nibbles were there from memory... most different varieties of beer came in thier own glass too (including 9(?)% Delerium that had pink elephants on the glass!)

Nah, that makes the price drop, how can you rule a country that has 200 varieties of beer ands two official languages?

Hell, with Flemish, one is enough :P