Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do skeptics investigate the Paranormal?

Pluto-x

Sorry for sounding a bit testy, but a few times throughout this thread I have this feeling of, "This is OUR board (believers), why do you darn sceptic-type people come and mess it up?".

I get this feeling as well.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pluto-x

• coldethyl

• JackalnChainz

• spiridion

I believe that there are possibilities for anything but I am skeptical when going into an investigation. You have to be skeptical. Even though I've been in this field a while, I still need to experience it first hand for me to believe that there is something there. The majority of the time we've debunked the occurences but there have been a few times where we just couldn't explain certain things. No matter how hard we tried to disprove, we just couldn't. I've said it several times already but you can't be gullible or easily influences with this subject because then any time you see an orb in a picture or a weird light, you'll think it's a ghost! It's healthy to be skeptical & objective.

So then how about this...

What is wrong in believing?

Don't you believe in something? Whether it is religion, a belief, faith, whatever it is... Most Skeptics attack believers for believing in the paranormal. Generally I do not think its fair for a skeptic to attack someone who believes or had an experience. We do not attack you, at least I do not attack someone for believing in something. I believe in it because I have too many credible expriences, with many eye witnesses. We have had video evidence, and audio evidence. ( we do not HOAX or FAKE anything ) Our evidence is credible because of our techniques and scientific methods we practice during our investigations. For example, one of our techniques & methods in doing EVP work is we TAG everything. When you review, it is hard when there is noise going on. Therefore, we keep an absolute controlled environment around us. We are quiet at all times... keep the same level of voice, and tag anything that might make noise whether its a human noise, or something natural making noise. We do this even in video work. If a car is going by creating a light anomaly, we TAG it. Car going by! If a train is nearby, we TAG it. It makes review easier, and gives more credibility to evidence if you capture something paranormal. Tagging things is good... you won't be able to TAG everything, but it only helps things become more credible.

However, I don't think you will ever be able to satisfy a skeptic. Simply because half of them do not believe. Basically, skeptics will have to have a first hand experience in order to believe it. That narrows it down to a nutshell. besides, most of them won't experience anything because they are autmotically thinking in their minds it doesn't exist because they don't believe. Its called Laws of Attraction. Like what DianneG said in a post. Negative = Negative Positive = Positive. If you go in blind, you won't experience anything. If you go in believing, you might have a slight chance.

No, faith is faith. You have faith in the paranormal. No difference then having faith in a religion. I believe in my family & friends. I don't have a void that needs filling with the paranormal(NOT saying you do). Logic is key. Most believers throw logic out the window. THEY WANT to believe.

Edited by Eric Raven The Skeptic

I think I am being misunderstood here. I am in no way trying to state this is our board ( for believers only ) I'm just saying there is a common ground, and we all have, or most of us have the same goals if you think about it. I'm a skeptic believer... if there can be a such an equal thing. I am objective, and always keep things real. You earn more respect and credibility by being a skeptical believer. I believe in the paranormal when I can catch it on audio or video and can't explain it. I think the topic was a great topic to bring up. I apologize if it's been discussed to death but it was a great question.

Pluto, for the most part people have been quite respectful through this post. There were only a few posts that made me feel a bit defensive. Not to worry, I can handle it.

Same here Hezzbelle...

Here is another good question then. To those who do not believe and rely on logical explanation, or rational explanation... when you pass away, where do you think you go?

Same here Hezzbelle...

Here is another good question then. To those who do not believe and rely on logical explanation, or rational explanation... when you pass away, where do you think you go?

In the ground. I hope there is more but I don't expect it. Its called being consistent. :tu:

Edited by Eric Raven The Skeptic

Let me re-phrase my question... ( For skeptics.. )

Where do you believe you go when you pass away?

( I'm going somewhere with this... but I'd like to see what a few of you answer? )

Same here Hezzbelle...

Not as idealistic as becoming a ghost and hanging out with the living, but I'll basically "go" nowhere. My body will hopefully be cremated so as not to take up any space and I hope the only way I will live on is in peoples' memories. (Maybe I shouldn't have answered because I consider my answer to be logical and rational.

Most of the time BELIEVERS don't lend rational quality. Its obvious from alot of the posts on this board. Haven't you been reading them?

It is blanket, statements like that, which cause upheaval and disharmony. But should I remark on such a post, I'M condescending! Puh leez! Since you skeptics seem to have cornered the market on rational logic, why do you insist on discussing these issues with the likes of us dreamers and mentally impaired with psychological disorders. Are you studying us? Seriously Eric...I don't care either way. This is simply a forum where people present their views and compare stories. It is of no consequence to me. The only reason I make such a fuss, is because I don't like my words turned around on me. I do read these posts, but I am new here. You have obviously read more here than I have. Although I still don't see how someones story or account as they perceive it harms you. But regardless, it is just the kind of profiling thing make people so angry these days, lumping everyone into one category. And I don't think they appreciate the insinuation that you hold the monopoly on logic and good common sense. **Tisk Tisk** young man. Your hood is showing.

You say that and then you're super condescending:

It's just as much trolling as what you're accusing the 'skeptics' of doing, is it not?

:D

Cry me a river. I appreciate your repeated attempts at getting my ire, but seriously...you'll have to be waaaay more insulting to me than that. I'm used to dealing with foul mouthed gang bangers that would gut their own sister for a place to hide their rock. I'd like to point out, that I purposely harbor no ill will to anyone in here. I just like to write my stories and post them and engage in fascinating conversations about the paranormal. Well, since you were so disturbed because I referred to one of my characters as being "nuts" and it destroyed your weekend, I haven't posted any more stories for people like yourself to take personally. Because it has never been my intent to offend anyone, and I found most of your comments to me to be hostile, frankly. But I bear no ill will to you OR your minions. *snicker* Just kidding. Live and let live. Now I just completed a great conversation with Buddharat. And he was kind enough to explain his purposes in this forum. Unlike your cohort who thinks believers are just stupid and NEED him for his intellectual prowess. So it is plain that I am on no warpath, and am civil to those that are civil to me. I have a gowing list of fine people to call friends and speak with them often in PM. I throughly enjoy the accounts in here, and talking with like minded people. And I won't be driven from this forum. As I said, I do not wish to alienate anyone. My purpose on this thread was simply to know why a group of individuals, that are skeptical of the accounts told by the people in this forum, continue to come here and spout their disdain and continue to ridicule the believers here, on a topic for which they don't even believe in its' existence. It makes absolutely no sense at all. Now Buddharat explained his stance, and it was understandable. Now this thread, although inciteful, is becoming taxing. I truely don't like arguing. I prefer a challenging debate. So if you are determined to p*** me off, please step up your game. Otherwise, I would like nothing better than to get along with you. I apologise if I sound condescending to you. I speak plainly and to the point. I reserve the pampering insincerity for suspects and politicians. :D ~Jackal

Don't you believe in something? Whether it is religion, a belief, faith, whatever it is...

Sure, but isn't it better to have ideas rather than beliefs? Ideas and opinions are much easier to change. I make an effort to not believe in too many things, people are shattered when their beliefs turn out to be false. Which is why I "believe" there is so much confrontation in a situation like this. People believe their photographs are paranormal, even when most everyone here is telling them it's a motion blur or a lens strap. Often we never see them post again.

Somewhere very nice. I can't tell you where since I've never been before, but the word on the street says it's to die for. :innocent:

Cry me a river. I appreciate your repeated attempts at getting my ire, but seriously...you'll have to be waaaay more insulting to me than that. I'm used to dealing with foul mouthed gang bangers that would gut their own sister for a place to hide their rock. I'd like to point out, that I purposely harbor no ill will to anyone in here. I just like to write my stories and post them and engage in fascinating conversations about the paranormal. Well, since you were so disturbed because I referred to one of my characters as being "nuts" and it destroyed your weekend, I haven't posted any more stories for people like yourself to take personally. Because it has never been my intent to offend anyone, and I found most of your comments to me to be hostile, frankly. But I bear no ill will to you OR your minions. *snicker* Just kidding. Live and let live. Now I just completed a great conversation with Buddharat. And he was kind enough to explain his purposes in this forum. Unlike your cohort who thinks believers are just stupid and NEED him for his intellectual prowess. So it is plain that I am on no warpath, and am civil to those that are civil to me. I have a gowing list of fine people to call friends and speak with them often in PM. I throughly enjoy the accounts in here, and talking with like minded people. And I won't be driven from this forum. As I said, I do not wish to alienate anyone. My purpose on this thread was simply to know why a group of individuals, that are skeptical of the accounts told by the people in this forum, continue to come here and spout their disdain and continue to ridicule the believers here, on a topic for which they don't even believe in its' existence. It makes absolutely no sense at all. Now Buddharat explained his stance, and it was understandable. Now this thread, although inciteful, is becoming taxing. I truely don't like arguing. I prefer a challenging debate. So if you are determined to p*** me off, please step up your game. Otherwise, I would like nothing better than to get along with you. I apologise if I sound condescending to you. I speak plainly and to the point. I reserve the pampering insincerity for suspects and politicians. :D ~Jackal

Well said Jackal...

When I started this topic, I was hoping for a nice clean debate and have a bunch of intelligent, knowledgable, and friendly people get together to discuss the topic without harm. For a while there, it was going well. I have a lot to offer to the paranormal field, and I hope to accomplish and contribute a lot. I'm not in it to make a buck, or to entertain myself. I do this because I have a huge amount of love for what I do. My heart is in this 100%. I have invested so much into what I do that includes my personal reputation, and my research firm's reputation as well. I've put myself into a huge amount of debt because I feel strongly about what I do and know someday my contributions are going to get credit, or recognition. At least I hope it does. If I ever sound defensive on the forums, its because my dignity, and passion for the field is constantly being questioned. My honesty is being questioned. Nothing but the truth is said behind my words, and those who have gotten to know me, on here and in the field know I am extremely genuine. I'm not here just to spew a bunch of political B.S.

I'd still like to here a few more answers from skeptics, where do they believe they go when they pass away? I'm a bit surprised very little of them are answering it?

Just to add some extra thoughts to the topic...

Whether one is a believer or a skeptic, you have to realise that both represent two extremes of an argument. That is, they both firmly have a belief; a believer will use photographic, sound and video evidence to prove what they believe, and a skeptic will use scientific evidence to prove what they believe.

Ufologist Jacques Vallee points out quite brilliantly, that a skeptic is not someone who has not formed an opinion on paranormal phenomenon, they are someone who has taken up a negative standpoint. To put it in a religious context, a skeptic is an atheist and not an agnostic.

Hence, the need for a skeptic to prove their validity as much as believers.

The people who hold the real power are those in the middle, because lets face it, the only way to effectively prove a point is to understand both the positive and the negative aspects of a phenomenon. An argument over what is real will only be won when either a positive or a negative side can effectively counter all of the opposing sides arguments.

Edited by Syntax

Well said Jackal...

When I started this topic, I was hoping for a nice clean debate and have a bunch of intelligent, knowledgable, and friendly people get together to discuss the topic without harm. For a while there, it was going well. I have a lot to offer to the paranormal field, and I hope to accomplish and contribute a lot. I'm not in it to make a buck, or to entertain myself. I do this because I have a huge amount of love for what I do. My heart is in this 100%. I have invested so much into what I do that includes my personal reputation, and my research firm's reputation as well. I've put myself into a huge amount of debt because I feel strongly about what I do and know someday my contributions are going to get credit, or recognition. At least I hope it does. If I ever sound defensive on the forums, its because my dignity, and passion for the field is constantly being questioned. My honesty is being questioned. Nothing but the truth is said behind my words, and those who have gotten to know me, on here and in the field know I am extremely genuine. I'm not here just to spew a bunch of political B.S.

I'd still like to here a few more answers from skeptics, where do they believe they go when they pass away? I'm a bit surprised very little of them are answering it?

I enjoyed the thread Pluto-x. I like to hear opposing opinions as well (as long as they don't slander me). Often, the other side lends us a fresh perspective of our own goals. I'll listen to anyone and have no reason to doubt anyones word. I'm just here for the discourse and to meet new like minded friends. Nice thread, man. ~Jackal

The people who hold the real power are those in the middle, because lets face it, the only way to effectively prove a point is to understand both the positive and the negative aspects of a phenomenon. An argument over what is real will only be won when either a positive or a negative side can effectively counter all of the opposing sides arguments.

Ah...the voice of reason. Well said Syntax. All things in moderation. Understanding both sides of the issue is key. I like to illustrate by using the old "two sides of the stone" story. Where people fall short with this analogy, is there is really three sides (there is a side against the ground). The side facing the ground is synonymous with the paranormal side (the unseen side). ~Jackal

I enjoyed the thread Pluto-x. I like to hear opposing opinions as well (as long as they don't slander me). Often, the other side lends us a fresh perspective of our own goals. I'll listen to anyone and have no reason to doubt anyones word. I'm just here for the discourse and to meet new like minded friends. Nice thread, man. ~Jackal

Dang and I thought we were going to be best friends. :P

:D Wow.

What brought that on? I can see why you aren't a cop anymore. Tirades like that over nothing. Tsk tsk indeed.

I don't know why you think you're so special that I'm trying to p*** you off, but I can tell you that's not the case. I was pointing something out to you that should become very obvious to everyone reading this. You are very condescending. I think that's the main problem with some believers. They can't admit that they just don't know the answer to something. Some of them have to have an answer for everything and the truth is that no one has an answer for everything.

If you'll remember the little fit you had after your story, you will remember that I was the THIRD person to say something about your ending. And I accepted your apology.

And if you do want to stick around the board, you might consider reading the rules. Insulting and name calling are forbidden here, as is trolling. :tu:

I believe I've also explained my purpose for being here but if you're too slow to catch it, then I am sorry. :P It does get boring repeating oneself. See? Being insulting and using smiley faces doesn't make it less insulting, does it?

:D

Lets not insult each other, or bash poeple eh? Its been a smooth flowing topic thus far without anyone getting into a heavy argument. Put your guns down Coldethyl

Lets not insult each other, or bash poeple eh? Its been a smooth flowing topic thus far without anyone getting into a heavy argument. Put your guns down Coldethyl

Excuse me?

You need to go back and read who started it.

I have been civil. And I can't believe you called his bashing, rude post well said.