Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What are your fav FPSs?

Naveed

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blood Angel

• Naveed

• Dowdy

• Xenojjin

lol suppose I should share my favs since I started the post lol!

From # 1-10:

1) Unreal, my fav FPS of all time.

2) DooM series, I love the excessive overkill

3) UT, I like the improved UnrealEd

4) Duke3d, just a classic one with excessive overkill

5) Heretic/Hexen series

6) Quake 2

7) System Shock 2

8 ) Carnivores series and Primal Prey, dinosaur/prehistoric hunting sims.

9) Gunmetal

10) Chasm: the Rift, somewhere between Quake and DooM with the graphics, kinda fun.

I wish someone would come out with a new game with some excessive overkill. Good old fashioned DooM style gameplay with updated graphics, only without the major focus being the graphics. The emphasis would have to be on gameplay, modification ability (for replayability), and a small story that is good, but not to involved.

I love Medal of Honor: Frontline, for letting me act out all those war movies I grew up watching.

And Timesplitters2, because it is simply more fun than a rug full of kittens.

easily Counterstrike but i can't get that working on my computer so i play soldier of fortune 2 instead. Just like Quake but not so fantasy like - mixture of quake and CS

Top Ten FPS Of All Time:

10, Goldeneye N64

9, Perfect Dark N64

8, Quake PC

7, Red Faction PS2

6, Duke Nukem 3D PC

5, HalfLife PC

4, Medal Of Honor Allied Assault PC

3, Medal Of Honor PS1

2, DooM Trilogy PC

1, Wolfenstein 3D PC THe Daddy of all First Person Shooters, The One that started it all!

user posted image

A ScreenShot From the DOS version on the PC, note the crappy graphics (which were awesome for its time) But excellent gameplay, i still play it, and i still crap myself when i get ambushed by zombies, or turn the corner to see a nazi stormtrooper shouting "ACHTUNG" in your face.

user posted image

Original Title Screen.

BlakeStone: Aliens of Gold

Wolfenstein 3D spawned many "spin offs", there are loads that were made by modifying the wolf3d engine most of them are relatively unknown. One interesting one was called "Noahs Ark 3D" which consisted of capturing animals and converting the heathen, it was a chritian endevour, it also violated ID softwares copyrghts, and was quickly taken off the market, as the ones responsible for such a crap game didn't ask permission to use the engine. Also Rise Of The Triad (another ID game) that was brought out after DooM, was ment to be Wolfenstein 3D 2, but because of laws in using nazi related material in media being banned, they had to change the name and its concepts.

My top ten FPS

1.DOOM - a true classic-PS1 , N64 , SNES , PC , GBA , GBSP

2.Halo - yay ! Ghosts rule !-PC , XBOX

3.Unreal tournament - Killing spree !-PC , PS2

4.Halflife / counterstrike -PC , PS2 ( Halflife only ) , XBOX ( counterstrike only )

5.Ratchet and Clank going commando ( Originally a 3rd person game , but after beaten once it allows you to play it as a FPS game instead ... which rules ) -PS2

6.Perfect dark -N64

7.South park-N64 , PS1 ( yayaya I know , scr*w you I liked it )

8.Ecks Vs Sever - GBA

9.time splitters 2 - PS2 , XBOX

10.Duke nukem - PS1 , PC , N64

1.Medal Of Honor : Allied Assault - Spearhead - Breakthrough

2.Powerslave

3.Timesplitters 2

Jus love them all grin2.gif

I'm going to provide a list of my favourite first person games, so that I can start with........

1. DEUS EX........the most atmospheric, detailed, interesting, exciting, tense game that I have ever played, and with a great story to back it up.

2. HALF LIFE.......Excellent game that was let down by the two truly awful boss levels at the end. The level design was magnificent, with lots of variety and plenty of interesting locations. The AI was superb, particularly that of the soldiers. I also liked the way that ventilation shafts were used to access different areas, which is something that Deus Ex expanded upon superbly.

3. TERMINATOR : FUTURE SHOCK.........The game that invented "mouselook" was incredibly atmospheric, with all of those burning barrels, wrecked cars, ruined buildings......and a variety of terminators and other bots to overcome. The first person sections were ace, the driving sections were OK, but the flying levels were a bit boring.

4. QUAKE II........The best Quake game to date. Excellent early levels, with stuff happening in the background (explosions, aircraft flying overhead). The mixture of rock and metal in the level design was great, the weapons were superb, and the game was pretty atmospheric in places. The final boss was rubbish though.....again. NOTE to game developers: BOSSES ARE GENERALLY RUBBISH. FIND ANOTHER WAY OF ENDING A GAME.

5. RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN.......Enjoyable game generally, although it struggled in places. The graphics were the best use of the Quake III Arena engine that I have ever seen. The AI was quite impressive.

6. UNREAL........This game was magnificent for the first nine levels, with detailed, interesting locations, plenty of variety, and incredible atmosphere. Unfortunately, the story wandered a bit later on, and the levels seemed to be nothing more than a selection of (admittedly very impressive) maps that didn't seem to combine into a coherent whole, together with some levels that just didn't work (the last ten or so levels on the mothership were utter crap).

I have played lots of other first person games on PC, but many of them were very disappointing. Some had awful AI (Elite Force), others started well but faded away later on (Dark Forces, Quake, SIN, Jedi Knight), and others just generally disappointed (Doom II, Jedi Knight 2, Unreal 2).

Unreal 2 in particular was a huge disappointment. This bore little reemblance to its predecessor, and had none of the imagination and vision that the original Unreal portrayed. Let's hope that Unreal 3 is the true sequel.

I remember playing dark forces, and i rather enjoyed it, although the levels were small, and not enough of them. Jedi knight was ok i guess, but the concept of force in that game was totally wrong. But after playing halflife, and then deus ex, i felt deux ex to be a let down, i couldn't get into it, it was kind of boring for me. Return ti castle wolfenstein was good until you hit the last three levels and then it turned complete crap/or so overwhelmingly difficult it was unplayable (the very end boss for example).

got counterstrike working yesterday. Now that's my fav FPS

i think there is too many FPS around. Pretty much every game that is highly anticipated is a FPS, doom3 and HL2, but i still can't wait for doom 3. The video clip scared the sh** out of me .

got counterstrike working yesterday. Now that's my fav FPS

you soon will know the true meaning of haxor . You will curse as they laugh at you with their ability to fly , never take damage , and instantly appear behind you when the game starts weilding a fully loaded shotgun with infinite ammo.

or run like the wind with that old clspeed hack, or that old headshot bot. Word of advice if your gonna play serious CS. Goto a server that runs Punkbuster, methinks you can get the program here, basically the server only allows people who run punkbuster whilst playing otherwise it boots the player, and anyone who cheats is automatically booted. I used to play serious league games of CS, if you wanna get good, join a hig rated clan and let them train you. I was crap when i started and three months into it i was still crap till i joined a decent UK clan, after a week of training i kept getting booted from servers for being "too good".....

of course the oringinal Wolfenstein!

then...

Red Faction 1 and 2

Unreal

Medal of Honor (all of them!)

damn it, i know there are many more i enjoy, but cant think right now...

My favorite FPS are Golden Eye for N64, Metroid Prime for Gamecube, and Rainbow 6 for the PC.

Anyone ever try to build any levels or add-ons for these games? I tinkered a lot with build for Duke3d, and then with the Unreal editor, and actually have a level in a level pack at Unrealsp.org. That was always my fav aspect of fps games, the editing, and add-ons, and everything.

I made a few Duke3d Levels ages ago, i made a complete episode of DooM using a program which i can't remember the name of (>_<;; BrainFart!! >_<;;), made quite alot of wolfenstein levels, and am currently overhauling the whole game and making a brand new one, using the wolf3d engine o_o;; which is taking longer than expected. I used to love making command and conquer maps...

I also made a star trek mod for civilization 2...thats going a while back now lol o_O;;

Ive done some gml and c++ programing , also know html ( but who doesn't ? People are really starting to learn html over here ... even some of the ditzy chicks you would think never touch computers ! )

As for game specific Ive made lots of starcraft maps with usemapsettings . once made an rpg about killing pokemon and people still play it original.gif I would like to do my own first person shooter using doom's engine , I would make stuff ....

...die stupid little pikachu.....

it's pretty obivious if someone cheats in CS and they usually get banned quickly. Most of the Aussies server go hard on cheating but there are some glitches in the map, which aren't cheats.

in de_dust, you need 3 people to boost up and you can sky walk. not a cheat, just a glitch. Good for a laugh but more fun to play serious. Admins hate it though...

3.4.2 Boosting

Player boosting is legal with up to 2 players. Any area that can be reached on the map is considered a valid position as long as the position is not used to exploit the map by seeing into areas that are not intended. An example is being boosted in Aztec and looking through or over the wall to see where the opposing team is coming from. Skywalking on any map is strictly banned. The player WILL be removed from the server, and the game forfieted immediately, this is the First and Second Warning. Third warning will be when the admin removes your team from the game.

3.4.4 Map Exploits

Any team taking advantage of any map exploits, whether new or known, will result in the forfeit for that match. Places like ledges that are accessible through boosting are valid, unless the location results in clipping or looking "over" the map. Multiple infractions of this rule will result in your team being suspended or removed from the league. This includes, but is not limited to the floating box in Nuke, the ledge bug in dust2. Also see point 3.4.2. de_dust skywalking.

website i got it from

Ive played alot of FPs but the only one that has ever got me to play a second time a third time and...well you get the picture is Halo...man i cant wait for halo 2 ( it got delayed again no!!!!!!!!!)

I can't remember what map it was, one of my favorites (haven't played cs, in god knows how long), one of the original maps, where skywalking was a effective tactic. It was 2-1 and we had 5 minutes of play left, we 'jumped' onto a crate then helped each other to jump onto the roofs, we then used these to snipe the other guys, winning the match.

I'm dabbling with the idea of making a Zombie take over mod for Duke3d at the moment. It'd be like a small episode of abandoned city levels made to look creepy and empty, and have the undead walking around.