Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spy Satelite Images Of Area 51

Saru

I was watching a news program earlier about the US pilots being held in China, and on it they showed an amazingly close up crystal clear photograph of the Spy Plane landed in a field. This had been taken by a US spy satelite, which is really quite impressive.

Given how easy it seems to be to photograph anywhere on the planet from a satelite, it would seem that someone must have done something similar with Area 51.

Does anyone know of any spy satelite photographs of Area51 that have been released on the net ? There's a Russian satelite image on my site in the Area51 section, but it's very hard to make out anything, as it's taken from a great height.

I assume that there must be close up photographs of Area51 - if a spy plane can be photographed landed in a field, there should be similarly clear photographs somewhere of a test aircraft sitting on an Area51 airstrip.

Anyone ever seen anything like that anywhere about ?

Comments and links welcome.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Magikman

• PurpleStuart

• Saru

• reese92

Gareth,

I've always read about the amazing resolution of spy satellite photo's, but hadn't actually seen any examples of it. I'm suprised that the US would publish an example of what is possible from a satellite, unless there was a point to be made to the Chinese about the quality of our technology. Still, it comes from a military controlled craft that must have cost hundreds of millions of dollars and contain the most advanced equipment. I wouldn't think that there would be alot of examples of its high resolution photo's available on the 'net, much less a close-up of Area 51. I remember seeing other photo's from the Russian satellite on some other sites, but the resolution wasn't any better than what you show, and they had been taken years ago.

I visited a site a while back that was capable of giving a photographic view of any location in the US when given a specific address. However, the view would be of how an area would look from a distance of three miles up, so there would not be very good resolution. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark the website, so I'm unable to give you its URL. It was either affiliated with a government website, or was a service provided by one of the websites like mapblast.com or mapquest.com.

Magikman

Thanks for the photograph link :)

The photo I think was taken from a spy plane through a zoom lens when the base was easier to get near to - I think it's actually in the Area51 section of the Encyclopedia's photographs archive.

Here is a close up of the photograph, that a lot of people think shows the surface section of a large underground complex. I'm not sure it's really possible to tell what's underneath from that photograph, however it does show what appear to be hangers and other possible aircraft related buildings.

I would love to be able to go for a stroll around that place - however the "Trespassers Will Be Shot on site" signs are warning enough.

Have there ever been any records of anyone who has tried to infiltrate Area 51 ? I imagine at least somebody would have attempted to make their way nearer to the base for a closer look, despite the risk of being shot.

Gareth,

Here's another link for you;

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/default.asp

I don't know what luck you will have, although their sample photo's are quite detailed. I have a terribly slow server and it takes forever for detailed pages to load. If you have a broadband connection, you might beable to get better detail. It mentions something about one of the satellites being off-line currently, so maybe just bookmark the site & refer back to it at a latter date.

Magikman

Thanks for the link - that site is extremely impressive. The level of detail you can achieve with it is amazing. It's a pitty NASA doesn't make a web site where something similar is available for Mars. They could base it on the maps and photographs they've acquired from Global Surveyor, and they'd likely make a fortune from it.  

• 4 months later...

Gareth,

I know this is a pretty old subject anymore, but just in case you were still interested, here is a link to a web site that has real impressive panoramic views of Area 51, shot from several different vantage points;

http://www.desertsecrets.com/bestpan.html

Don't know if you seen this before, otherwise there are links to other secret military bases, and if you click on the home button, they list various overhead shots of Area 51 I hadn't seen before.

MAGIKMAN

Hey all.  I would like to know something that Saruman had asked, it never was answered, but I would really like to know, because I have looked and looked for the answer, to no avail.

Has anyone ever penetrated the Area 51 compound?  I would think that someone must have done this, but I cannot find any info on it.  I have seen alot of reports by people that actually stood right beside the old perimeters.  Of course, as you now know, they have purchased all the surrounding acreage that they could, pushing back even further than before, what people could see.

I think that maybe no one has gone onto the property.  I think the sign scares alot of people.  But, if anyone has any info on it, I sure would like to know.

Oh, and there are a couple of groups that actually stake out the area, from a distance, of course. They track everyday activity, which is pretty smart, because when you see a pattern, you can actually piece together some form of information, though it might be very vague.  But, I would like to know if someone has dared to go onto the property.  Thanks!!  And, thank you Magikman, for I am sure you will be the one to answer my question.  :-*

Reese

Teresa,

Given the vastness of the area and the incredible amount of security used to insure its impenetrability, I highly doubt that anyone has successfully entered the main base without authorization. I believe the perimeter is now something like 30 miles in any direction, the closet it seems anyone has gotten to the base is 7 miles. In 1957, a private citizen landed his plane at the base and he was held overnight. You can be arrested and fined $600 for trespassing, a pretty stiff fee to pay for taking a ‘chance’. Also, knowing how miserable the government could make your life if you were indeed successful, who would be bold enough to admit to it? All employees and sub-contractors are flown onto the base, so there is very limited ‘ground’ traffic.

I’m not sure if you’ve seen this web site, it calls itself the ‘official’ Area 51 Research Center. It has many interesting links, plus a couple web cams that cover the sky above Area 51 so you can catch a glimpse of top secret aircraft or possibly even…….gasp…. a UFO! :o

http://www.area51researchcenter.com/

MAGIKMAN

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Magikman - i tok up the challenge at trying to locate area 51 on the terraserver site - but as you can guess it goes all white there :

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/ima...mp;Z=11&W=0

Thinking about it logically, spy satelites from the US are hardly gonna show there own secret bases - but it was fun nevertheless.

Forgot to say - anybody got any ideas on what those HUGE circle areas on the ground that you can see in the picture on the above link?

Hey MM you were just waiting weren't you  ;D

PS,

Actually no, I was just responding to your post, didn't realize that it was the 5000th until I saw Gareth's new post making the announcement. The total number of posts showed 5001, and mine just happened to be posted less than 1 minute before his, so I snuck under his radar.  :sh Us mysterious cryptids are notorious for that kind of thing.  :s02

Magikman  :D

Magikman,

Actually now I'm not convinced either of us got it *lol*.

Your post was at 13:13:49, and mine was at 13:15:04.

It looks as though I could have posted the 4999th, while you got the 5000th in just afterwards.

However, yours could have been post number 4999, and mine 5000 while someone else posted a 5001th shortly afterwards.

Or..you could be 4998, I could have been 4999 and someone else posted 2 shortly afterwards.

We may never really know for sure who was first to 5000th - the real 5000th poster may actually be someone else entirely.

:su

Well to settle it lets say i did and be done with it  :s04

Anyway, nobody has answered my question - any idea what those huge circles on the ground north north east of area 51?

PS,

If you click on the last link I provided, there are quite a few shots of the area around the base and might possibly show a more detailed picture. They're probably some type of storage tank, but I don't know if we'll ever know for sure, being that they are part of the military base.

Magikman  :sg

Thanks Tommy!

MM - yeah, your probably right, but i thought they where outside the base. What i couldn't get my head around was how big the circular structures appear to be. Trust my contrary nature - i'm offered a chance to zoom in on one of the most secret areas of land known to mankind, but instead i want to find out what their neighbours are up to!  ;D