Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where would you want to Ghost Hunt?

Veliska

I would want to investigate the Axe Murder House this is why..........

Villisca Axe Murder House History

One the morning of June 10, 1912, a small community in Villisca, Iowa awoke to find 8 of their own had been brutally murdered by an axe during the middle of the night. What once had been a peaceful community where everyone knew and trusted their neighbors, attended church together and left doors unlocked, changed forever on that bloody morning.

Joe B Moore (43), his wife Sarah (39), their four children, Herman (11), Katherine (10), Boyd (7), Paul (5) and two visiting children, Lena (11) and Ina (8) Stillinger were found in the early morning hours of June 10. All had been brutally murdered while they slept in their beds sometime between the hours of 12:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m. They had attended Children’s Day at their local church and arrived home about 11:00 p.m. the night before.

After the bodies were discovered and law enforcement arrived, the law quickly discovered that they had already lost control of the crime scene. Neighbors had already filed into the house to witness the carnage and contaminated any evidence that might have been useful. The murderer/murderers had covered all the windows and mirrors of the home, and had cover the victims with blankets and clothing. A long, black handled axe lay against the wall in the downstairs sewing room where Lena and Ina lay. The mutilation of Lena and Ina was so severe that they were identified by their personal Bibles which were left on the dresser in their room. A bloody pan of water was found in the kitchen along with a half eaten meal. Kerosene lamps were carefully placed at the foot of each bed in both the parent’s room and the sewing room. The chimneys of the lamps had been discarded and the wicks turned back.

Neighbors and law enforcement began to compile a list of suspects. No longer were doors left unlocked and everyone began keeping vigils at night to ensure the safety of their families. Accusations, rumors, and suspicion ran rampant. The state and neighboring counties sent in law enforcement agencies to assist with the thousands of interviews that took place, but the crime was never solved.

One of the prime suspects of the murders became Frank Jones, a very wealthy and powerful businessman. He was also a State Senator and very involved in politics. Joe Moore was once employed by Frank Jones but quit that job to open his own business. Jones and Moore soon became bitter business rivals. It was also rumored that Joe Moore was having an affair with the Senator’s daughter-in-law, Dona and this further aroused suspicion.

Another prime suspect was Reverend Lyn George Jacklin Kelly who was a traveling minister, a peeping tom and a man with peculiar habits He had attended the Children’s Day Services at the Moore’s church on the night of the murders. He boarded a train during the early morning hours of June 10 and it was reported by an elderly couple, also on the train, that he talked about the murders before the bodies were discovered. Rev. Kelly confessed to the murders several years later, but charges were dropped after one trial ended in a hung jury and the 2nd jury acquitted him.

William Mansfield also became a suspect. He had recently been released from prison and was known to have associations with the other criminals. He became a suspect when his own wife, his infant daughter and his in-laws were murdered by an axe in Blue Island, Illinois in 1914. The murder scene in Blue Island was very similar to the Villisca murders. It was rumored that Mansfield was hired by Frank Jones. Similar axe murders had occurred in Kansas and Colorado in which Mansfield could be placed in these locations on the nights of those murders.

The house was originally built in 1868 and became the home of the Joe Moore family in 1903. Since the murders, ownership has changed hands several times. It was purchased by Darwin and Martha Linn in 1994 who have returned it to its original condition. All electricity and plumbing have been removed. Period furniture has been bought and placed as closely as possible to their reported positions on the night of the murders. Recent renovations have sparked reports of paranormal activity and have stirred an interest both locally and nationally. The house remains vacant but lamplight tours and overnights are available by appointment.

post-60889-1191015238_thumb.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veliska

• JackalnChainz

• Blueguardian

• JustNormal

Good question - if I could choose any location to investigate I'd go with the Tower of London. It has a rich history of hauntings that have been documented for so many years. There was a programme on a few years back when a team got to investigate, I don't think they got much evidence though, but they were lucky to get the opportunity.

Good question - if I could choose any location to investigate I'd go with the Tower of London. It has a rich history of hauntings that have been documented for so many years. There was a programme on a few years back when a team got to investigate, I don't think they got much evidence though, but they were lucky to get the opportunity.

I'm going to look up the history sounds interesting

i believe i read somewhere that the white house was haunted by former presidents, i think that would be well worth a look, otherwise i would probably go to england, there are loads of haunted places over there. sadly you dont hear of that many hauntings over in Australia.

i believe i read somewhere that the white house was haunted by former presidents, i think that would be well worth a look, otherwise i would probably go to england, there are loads of haunted places over there. sadly you dont hear of that many hauntings over in Australia.

I'd be all over the Pyramids of Giza or else the remains of Pompeii, probably both, because I couldn't choose between the two of them.

.......and you will invite me ;)

I think if I could ghost hunt anywhere, it would be the Amityville house. One thing, I wouldnt want to go alone, anyone wanna join me? JN- :w00t:

I'd like to check out Mary Kings Close in Old Edinburgh. They built the City Chambers over the top of it using the back streets or Closes as foundations and then forgot about them.

Years later they were rediscovered and although a lot has been said about what happened down there, I understand from some people that there are strong malevolent feelings when you walk through them. Some have said they are made to feel like trespassers.

Encounter85

One the morning of June 10, 1912, a small community in Villisca, Iowa awoke to find 8 of their own had been brutally murdered by an axe during the middle of the night. What once had been a peaceful community where everyone knew and trusted their neighbors, attended church together and left doors unlocked, changed forever on that bloody morning.

Joe B Moore (43), his wife Sarah (39), their four children, Herman (11), Katherine (10), Boyd (7), Paul (5) and two visiting children, Lena (11) and Ina (8) Stillinger were found in the early morning hours of June 10. All had been brutally murdered while they slept in their beds sometime between the hours of 12:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m. They had attended Children’s Day at their local church and arrived home about 11:00 p.m. the night before.

After the bodies were discovered and law enforcement arrived, the law quickly discovered that they had already lost control of the crime scene. Neighbors had already filed into the house to witness the carnage and contaminated any evidence that might have been useful. The murderer/murderers had covered all the windows and mirrors of the home, and had cover the victims with blankets and clothing. A long, black handled axe lay against the wall in the downstairs sewing room where Lena and Ina lay. The mutilation of Lena and Ina was so severe that they were identified by their personal Bibles which were left on the dresser in their room. A bloody pan of water was found in the kitchen along with a half eaten meal. Kerosene lamps were carefully placed at the foot of each bed in both the parent’s room and the sewing room. The chimneys of the lamps had been discarded and the wicks turned back.

Neighbors and law enforcement began to compile a list of suspects. No longer were doors left unlocked and everyone began keeping vigils at night to ensure the safety of their families. Accusations, rumors, and suspicion ran rampant. The state and neighboring counties sent in law enforcement agencies to assist with the thousands of interviews that took place, but the crime was never solved.

One of the prime suspects of the murders became Frank Jones, a very wealthy and powerful businessman. He was also a State Senator and very involved in politics. Joe Moore was once employed by Frank Jones but quit that job to open his own business. Jones and Moore soon became bitter business rivals. It was also rumored that Joe Moore was having an affair with the Senator’s daughter-in-law, Dona and this further aroused suspicion.

Another prime suspect was Reverend Lyn George Jacklin Kelly who was a traveling minister, a peeping tom and a man with peculiar habits He had attended the Children’s Day Services at the Moore’s church on the night of the murders. He boarded a train during the early morning hours of June 10 and it was reported by an elderly couple, also on the train, that he talked about the murders before the bodies were discovered. Rev. Kelly confessed to the murders several years later, but charges were dropped after one trial ended in a hung jury and the 2nd jury acquitted him.

William Mansfield also became a suspect. He had recently been released from prison and was known to have associations with the other criminals. He became a suspect when his own wife, his infant daughter and his in-laws were murdered by an axe in Blue Island, Illinois in 1914. The murder scene in Blue Island was very similar to the Villisca murders. It was rumored that Mansfield was hired by Frank Jones. Similar axe murders had occurred in Kansas and Colorado in which Mansfield could be placed in these locations on the nights of those murders.

The house was originally built in 1868 and became the home of the Joe Moore family in 1903. Since the murders, ownership has changed hands several times. It was purchased by Darwin and Martha Linn in 1994 who have returned it to its original condition. All electricity and plumbing have been removed. Period furniture has been bought and placed as closely as possible to their reported positions on the night of the murders. Recent renovations have sparked reports of paranormal activity and have stirred an interest both locally and nationally. The house remains vacant but lamplight tours and overnights are available by appointment.

Cool, I can see a face in the window on the left of the door, and "maybe" something the door, just cannot enhance it enough. Just zoom in and they are pretty easy to see...JN

post-53813-1191028559_thumb.jpg

I think if I could ghost hunt anywhere, it would be the Amityville house. One thing, I wouldnt want to go alone, anyone wanna join me? JN- :w00t:

HECK YEAH!!!!!!!!!! I will right by your side *clinging to you*

Cool, I can see a face in the window on the left of the door, and "maybe" something the door, just cannot enhance it enough. Just zoom in and they are pretty easy to see...JN

:yes: I see it JN!!

I'd like to check out Mary Kings Close in Old Edinburgh. They built the City Chambers over the top of it using the back streets or Closes as foundations and then forgot about them.

Years later they were rediscovered and although a lot has been said about what happened down there, I understand from some people that there are strong malevolent feelings when you walk through them. Some have said they are made to feel like trespassers.

Encounter85

The close was inhabited during the 16th and 17th centuries before the plague ravaged families living in the tightly packed tenement buildings. A century after the illness broke out, the city partly sealed the abandoned homes and alleyways, prompting chilling stories about paranormal sightings of previous inhabitants.

The celebrity of the close's supernatural resident is Annie, a ghostly pre-teen who (so the story goes) scared the daylights out of a Japanese psychic in 1992. This lady had been unimpressed by the tour until she arrived at one of the many small rooms. There she was suddenly struck by an overwhelming feeling of sickness, hunger and cold and, when she tried to leave felt the ghastly tug of a ghostly hand on her leg.

Poor Annie's spectral life has now been fleshed out and it is believed that she had been left to die by her family. Since then, people from round the world have come to "Annie’s room". Many have told tour guides of seeing impressions of the spirit in the room; some visitors, treating the room as a shrine, have left gifts for the little girl out of affection.

Sceptic, open-minded or believer, the tour itself is a wonderful experience and well orchestrated by the operators, Continuum. Authentically dressed guides lead visitors out of the sunshine downstairs into the murky past through vaults and alleyways that form the remnants of 17th-century Edinburgh. They punctuate the gloom with eye-opening and historical information, practised banter and the occasional heart-thumping shock. The uncharacteristic drop in temperature in Annie's room is disconcerting.

Forest Lawn Cemetery in Troy, New York.

Isn't also called Forest Park? In the late 1920's came the first Forest Lawn Memorial Park. Referred to as

the "Disneyland of the Dead", Forest Lawn sought to recapture the many uses

that cemeteries were once used for. Forest Lawn at one time had several art

galleries, wedding chapels, souvenir stands, movie theaters, as well as other

attractions.

I would not want to hunt a ghost .I want to believe they don't exist.Unfortunarely I have had to many things happen and have been unable to convince myself that they weren't real.Now if I were to chose what place I would want somebody else to go ghost hunting,I would say my parents house.

Isn't also called Forest Park? In the late 1920's came the first Forest Lawn Memorial Park. Referred to as

the "Disneyland of the Dead", Forest Lawn sought to recapture the many uses

that cemeteries were once used for. Forest Lawn at one time had several art

galleries, wedding chapels, souvenir stands, movie theaters, as well as other

attractions.

:blush: Whoops. I'm kind of tired and at work, so I got a little mixed up with a cemetery here in Buffalo (i grew up outside troy). It is Forest Park, not Forest Lawn.

Here's a great wiki article about the history: Wiki Wiki Wiki

I lived five minutes from it for most of life and when I got older I started hearing the stories of it being really haunted. Never went there because it's really illegal to just go in there. I try not to break the law. :-)

I have to give you a lot of credit veliska27, you seem to know your stuff. Keep it up and I'll keep reading your posts.

Wow, I would love to add this to my google earth haunted places map, if you would be kind enough to post or PM me an address. Thanks so much! ~Jackal

Encounter85

linked-image

There are just so many sites world wide that are reknowned for paranormal phenomenon, that it is very difficult to chose just one. Who is to say which is the Mnt. Everest of spooky places. But if I were to have to choose one here in the U.S., I would lean towards the old Bell farm in Adams Tennessee. The Bell Witch case had many reputable witnesses, including a U.S. President. I choose the site because of the longevity of the haunting, and of course, the extremely violent nature of the case. It is reported by neighbors, that strange lights have been seen, monstrous looking animals, with screams of terror and anguish heard from that place, even today. And once again, there is no way in hell I would spend the night there by myself. Or even a lone daylight visit is out of the question. No, I would only visit the Bell Witch site with a large group of investigators....if then. :unsure: ~Jackal

Edited by JackalnChainz

I want to ghost-hunt the Playboy Mansion. I'd want access to everywhere, including the "Bunny hutches" just in case there's paranormal activity in one of their rooms. And I'd need a LOT of film, videotape, night vision devices and digital camera cards.

This would require a thorough investigation. Might take a while, months or even years.

I'll bet I could sell the "Gatofeo Ghost-Hunts the Playboy Mansion" documentary to a premium channel! :P

I want to ghost-hunt the Playboy Mansion. I'd want access to everywhere, including the "Bunny hutches" just in case there's paranormal activity in one of their rooms. And I'd need a LOT of film, videotape, night vision devices and digital camera cards.

This would require a thorough investigation. Might take a while, months or even years.

I'll bet I could sell the "Gatofeo Ghost-Hunts the Playboy Mansion" documentary to a premium channel! :P

:devil: You devil you!

:devil: You devil you!

I have always wanted to investigate the Bell plantation and Cave. The Bell Witch is one I grew up hearing. I would love to get evidence there..

Blessed Be

TruBeliever

I am glad to hear about all the hauntings each one of you posted. I wish I could bundle all of you up and we go to investigate together at all these diffrent places.