Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Double-Headed Eagle

AlasBabylon

Ok... I know there are many intelligent and mystic people here...

so hopefully you can help me solve a mystery.

There is a UK documentary made in 1973 about the rise of Hitler that is

made entirely from old German film from the era 1918-1933... no narrative...

I am not touting the film... I just want to get a clue why the film is called...

" Double-Headed Eagle " when to my knowledge neither the Weimar Republic

nor Nazi Germany used the double-headed eagle symbol. I know the

double-headed eagle was the symbol of the Hapsburgs, Romanovs, etc...

but I am trying to figure out what could be the relationship to Hitler ??...

enough to be the title of a rise of Hitler video ?? Is it an occult symbol ??

The video itself gives no clue.

You may want to take a look at this. :)

I am very familiar with the double-headed eagle... it was used in ancient times...

and by the Byzantine empire, Russia, and other European Monarchies... all of

whom were deposed in 1918.... it was even used by the Scottish-Rite Masons...

it appears on Albert Pike's book, Morals and Dogma... but why would it symbolize

the rise of Hitler ??

Edited by AlasBabylon

Ok... I know there are many intelligent and mystic people here...

so hopefully you can help me solve a mystery.

There is a UK documentary made in 1973 about the rise of Hitler that is

made entirely from old German film from the era 1918-1933... no narrative...

I am not touting the film... I just want to get a clue why the film is called...

" Double-Headed Eagle " when to my knowledge neither the Weimar Republic

nor Nazi Germany used the double-headed eagle symbol. I know the

double-headed eagle was the symbol of the Hapsburgs, Romanovs, etc...

but I am trying to figure out what could be the relationship to Hitler ??...

enough to be the title of a rise of Hitler video ?? Is it an occult symbol ??

The video itself gives no clue.

Maybe the title of the film is not so much refering to the actual symbol of the double-headed eagle, but a "two-faced" eagle. The eagle holding the wreath with a swastika was the symbol of Nazi Germany. Maybe by saying double-headed they were meaning two faced, seeing as the Nazis actually looked pretty good to the outside world for the first few years of the Reich.

Those are just my thoughts. It was probably a strange misuse of words.

AlasBabylon, did you read the Wiki entry? The eagle represents sovereignty, and the double heads represent the double stamp of approval, both by man AND god.

Hitler was part of Germany's destruction during WWI, and saw a fiercely proud nation morally destroyed. Germany had Her spirit broken after the war.

He began his rise to power and one of the great things he did was rebuild the sense of "civil religion" where people had faith in the nation again. That was one of the heads (the approval of man).

His total control of the emotional feeling of the country combined with the total stamping out of all religious activity gave him the right to use the second head on his eagle for his crest.

Hence, he claimed the double headed eagle.

(note: this post does not endorse all of the stuff he did, nor give a stamp of approval. I am just sharing info)

AlasBabylon, did you read the Wiki entry? The eagle represents sovereignty, and the double heads represent the double stamp of approval, both by man AND god.

Hitler was part of Germany's destruction during WWI, and saw a fiercely proud nation morally destroyed. Germany had Her spirit broken after the war.

He began his rise to power and one of the great things he did was rebuild the sense of "civil religion" where people had faith in the nation again. That was one of the heads (the approval of man).

His total control of the emotional feeling of the country combined with the total stamping out of all religious activity gave him the right to use the second head on his eagle for his crest.

Hence, he claimed the double headed eagle.

(note: this post does not endorse all of the stuff he did, nor give a stamp of approval. I am just sharing info)

That's interesting.

Thanks for pointing that out. :)

The video just shows old film footage... there is no narrative,

so there is no ideological slant one way or the other.

Malruhn, Hitler didn't actually use the double-headed eagle as his crest. This was the Nazi crest. That particular one is over the entrance to Dachau concentration camp.

I think I have just solved our little mystery. I found a review on Amazon.com for the movie.

The Double Headed Eagle, a documentary about Hitler's rise to power in Germany, takes the unusual approach of using no narration, relying almost entirely on vintage newsreel footage (which is shown with English subtitles). The intent is to show how people at the time would have viewed the Nazis as they came to the world's attention, and some of this contemporaneous footage is remarkable. The turmoil following Germany's humiliation at the end of World War I is shown in clips illustrating economic devastation, and Hitler's speeches at early Nazi rallies display the bizarre hold he could have over a crowd. But letting the film footage speak for itself is not entirely successful. It should be noted that those unfamiliar with the history of the period may find the film puzzling at times. But if this documentary is not a good introduction to the history of the period, filmmaker Lutz Becker deserves praise for selecting material that is often quite arresting. As the production slowly unfolds, the rise of the Nazis from a curiosity on the fringe of German politics to the central power in the nation is ultimately demonstrated in a highly visual manner. --Robert J. McNamara

The meaning of double-headed eagle here literally means double-faced eagle. One face was how the world viewed the Third Reich, and the other face is the "true face" of the Third Reich.

Maybe the title of the film is not so much refering to the actual symbol of the double-headed eagle, but a "two-faced" eagle. The eagle holding the wreath with a swastika was the symbol of Nazi Germany. Maybe by saying double-headed they were meaning two faced, seeing as the Nazis actually looked pretty good to the outside world for the first few years of the Reich.

Those are just my thoughts. It was probably a strange misuse of words.

Yes, I did think of that... if so, then a better title would have been, Two-Faced Eagle

considering the double-headed eagle symbol has so many other applications... for example,

the double-headed eagle is the symbol on Vladimir Putin's presidential flag.

Yes, I did think of that... if so, then a better title would have been, Two-Faced Eagle

They probably just used "Double-Headed" because it sounds much more elegant than "Double-Faced."

The double headed eagle is a widely used occult symbol. As with most occult symbols, it likely has layered/multiple meanings. I think most of the disscusion here has centered around more mainstream explanations of the double-headed eagle. Here for your consideration is a more esoteric view.

The Bible says that the angry and furious fallen Lucifer now walks to and fro in the earth like a lion seeking whom he might devour. His aim is to ruin God's creation, to bastardize and corrupt it, to change it into what he is—a monumentally ugly and warped creation, totally opposite of what God intended. Man and the world must be ruined, destroyed, transformed into a barren, non-producing, hideously shaped wasteland.

Men are to be made feminine; women masculine. Marriage is to be perverted. No longer between man and woman, it shall be used also to join men with men and women to women. Abortion the reckless slaughter of innocents is to be applauded. Sex is to become rife with perversion. Children are given over to the terrible passions of lustful pedophiles. Spiritual values are converted to material desires. False Gods are exalted. False Bibles are invented. Murder and assassination become religious goals.

As Above, So Below

This, then, is the end-goal of Illuminism: To destroy earth, debase civilization, end pure spirituality, induce chaos on earth, and bring order according to Satan's Illuminati script. Earth is to be hell and hell on earth: As Above, So Below.

This is the meaning of the double-headed eagle; the androgynous joining of man and woman; the mixing of the yin and yang; the checkerboard, black and white floors of the Masonic Lodges; the mirror images of the Rosicrucians; the sulphurous tale of Beauty and the Beast; the witches parable of the lovely lady vs. the crone on her broom; the Druid/Satanic/Catholic alternating of black and white priest vestments; the front and obverse (hidden) sides of the Great Seal of the United States; the reversing of the cross and the reading of the Lord's Prayer backwards in satanic worship, ad nauseam.

All fields, all things, must be reversed. Negative must be transmuted into positive. Bad will be good. Black shall be white. The ugly shall be adjudged beautiful and the beautiful is to be spoiled, scarred, and made repugnant and revolting. God shall be debased and Satan exalted.

Illuminism, therefore, is a system of dualism (thesis and antithesis) which cyclically repeats as synthesis results. Then, the conflicting forces of the duality cycle clash again, with synthesis being achieved once more. Always the synthesis, the temporary solution or form, is unfrozen, the process of two competing forces reignited, and the cycle is continued.

Edited by el midgetron

• 5 years later...

I'm back to this old topic because I am still curious.

Any one else have information/ideas ?

Given that this thread hasn't been touched in 5 1/2 years, I'm gonna take a guess and say no....

Cz

• 1 month later...

An interesting topic Alas, they usually are from you.

The First Reich, the Holy Roman Empire, used the double-headed eagle during its latter incarnation until it was dissolved. Austria continued using it for some time after as already noted.

After the Spring of Nations in 1848 the German Confederation also adopted the double-headed eagle.

The Second Reich, the German Empire, chose the single-headed eagle because Austria and Bohemia were no longer part of the union. Supposedly one of the eagle heads represented Austria.

The Reichsadler had already been introduced at the Proclamation of Versailles, although the first version had been only a provisional one. The design of the eagle had been altered at least twice during the German Empire (1871–1918). It shows the imperial eagle, a realistic black eagle, with the crown of the Holy Roman Empire. The eagle has a red head and claws, with open wings and feathers, but only one head, looking to the right. This is in contrast to its predecessor, the eagle of the German Confederation, because it symoblised that important parts of the old empire, Austria and Bohemia, were not part of this new empire. Its legal basis was an imperial rescript:

Coat of arms of Germany

Perhaps the title of the documentary was a nod to the Anschluss? The Third Reich annexed Austria and it was once again part of the union. While the Third Reich never officially adopted the double-headed eagle, the director of the documentary could have been tying it together with all of the above?

For the Holy Roman Empire the two heads represented church and state. Prussia also used the double-headed eagle. It is also a Masonic symbol.

Double-headed eagle

Reichsadler

House of Hohenzollern

Naturally these links would be old hat to you but could benefit others.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!
  • Like 1

Heck of a necro. Anyway seems like the ideas put forward years ago make sense. The reference of being two faced along with the connection to the Holy Roman Empire.