Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

France's secret war

Mars

For 40 years, the French government has been fighting a secret war in Africa, hidden not only from its people, but from the world. It has led the French to slaughter democrats, install dictator after dictator – and to fund and fuel the most vicious genocide since the Nazis. Today, this war is so violent that thousands are fleeing across the border from the Central African Republic into Darfur – seeking sanctuary in the world's most notorious killing fields

By Johann Hari in Birao, Central African Republic

Published: 05 October 2007

I first heard whispers of this war in March, when newspapers reported in passing that the French military was bombing the remote city of Birao, in the far north-east of the CAR. Why were French soldiers fighting there, thousands of miles from home? Why had they been intervening in Central Africa this way for so many decades? I could find no answers here – so I decided to travel there, into the belly of France's forgotten war.

On the battlefield - Birao

I am standing now on its latest battlefield, looking out over abandoned mud streets streaked with ash. The city of Birao is empty and echoing, for the first time in 200 years. All around are miles of burned and abandoned homes, with the odd starved child scampering through the wreckage. What were all these buildings? On one faded green sign it says Ministry of Justice, on a structure reduced to a charcoal husk. In the market square, the people who have returned are selling a few scarce supplies – rice and manioc, the local yeasty staple food – and talking quietly. At the edges of the town, there are African soldiers armed and trained by the French, lolling behind sandbags, with machine guns jutting nervously at passers-by. They are singing weary nationalist anthems and dreaming of home

Full story here:

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/africa...icle3030349.ece

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Umbarger

• Mars

• Clocker

• swtp

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW this is the first I've heard of it. I'll have to do some research on this.

Its amazing that the nation of France has never admitted to these secret wars.

Of course they haven't admitted to it. What country would?

This is indeed the first I've heard of it too, and I must say, it doesn't come as much of a shock as I thought it would. Especially now that Sarko is in power.

I've heard something of this nature every now and then, but nothing with any real substance before this. I suppose colonialism really does have long tentacles eh?

:angry: I would say that France has some explaining to do, if they even can explain this one! And greed just won,t cut it IMO! :angry2:

I hate to be the one to drop the "DUH! bomb" but, you know, most every nation on Earth is hard at work looking out for thier own interests. Those that can afford to do so, will interfere with the private internal workings of other countries. Does anyone remember when the Cubans were hard at work assisting in the overthrow of Democratic governments in Africa and Central America? How about the Soviet Union in Afganistan, Eastern Europe after WWII, Viet Nam... or the Chinese in Africa, Central Asia, Korea..... British assistance given to the Resistance in Viche France? Ever wonder why every malcontent on the planet uses Soviet era designed AK-47's? Price aside, why were they sold so cheap? The Soviets wanted everyone to have one.

International intrigue is not new, nor is it the exclusive domain of superpowers like the United States. Every country is doing things right now that you think only other countries do.

Well, Lord Umbarger really said what I was thinking...unfortunate but true, most likely.

Well, Lord Umbarger really said what I was thinking...unfortunate but true, most likely.
Great minds think alike, the bad part of that is that sometimes, we tell a truth that we ourselves don't like.

Really, in a time where minutes can decide the fate of the world, can any nation afford to be caught unaware? All of us are entangled in as many, or more, treaties and agreements with other nations than we were in 1913.

I hate to be the one to drop the "DUH! bomb" but, you know, most every nation on Earth is hard at work looking out for thier own interests. Those that can afford to do so, will interfere with the private internal workings of other countries. Does anyone remember when the Cubans were hard at work assisting in the overthrow of Democratic governments in Africa and Central America? How about the Soviet Union in Afganistan, Eastern Europe after WWII, Viet Nam... or the Chinese in Africa, Central Asia, Korea..... British assistance given to the Resistance in Viche France? Ever wonder why every malcontent on the planet uses Soviet era designed AK-47's? Price aside, why were they sold so cheap? The Soviets wanted everyone to have one.

International intrigue is not new, nor is it the exclusive domain of superpowers like the United States. Every country is doing things right now that you think only other countries do.

I know that what you say is true! And that even Canada and the U.S. as well as others are doing things that would no doubt disgust me, and i would expect my own country to have to face the world and explain any such actions if caught and own up to it and be held accountable! As well as stop such activities and make amends if thats possible! I know i,m kidding myself if i think they or we would ever admit and take the blame for anything! It just makes me sick, angry and frustrated, and the fact that everyone is doing it doesn,t make it right! And it just makes me more angry when we do these things while preaching peace and democracy and freedom and justice! And i also know that all my ranting isn,t going to change a thing! I,m just voicing my frustration at it all, for all the good it won,t do!