Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.K developing cloaking device

Lord Umbarger

LONDON -- US physicists have created what can be termed as the world's first true invisibility cloak - a device able to hide an object in the visible spectrum of light.

Presently, though, it works in only two dimensions and on a tiny scale.

The new cloak, which is just 10 micrometres in diameter, guides rays of light around an object inside and releases them on the other side. The light waves appear to have moved in a straight line, so the cloak and any object inside, appear invisible.

A team led by Igor Smolyaninov from the University of Maryland, built the cloak on the basis of the first theoretical design for an invisibility cloak, published by Vladimir Shalaev from Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, US, earlier this year.

According to a New Scientist report, the breakthrough comes just a year after American and British physicists created an invisibility cloak that worked in the microwave region of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Follow me to the rest of the story, if you can SEE me!

...But, does it also cover your footprints!?!?!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• Raptor

• Lord Umbarger

• Bill Hill

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi LU,

I remember reading something similar about 3 years ago, but it worked by where the surface of the tank will be covered with tiny light bearing fibres which imitate the scenery behind the tank,

BBC link to a similar story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6064620.stm

Still a very long way from having a working model, but this is good news. There was doubt over whether this technique would ever work with radiation in the visible range of the spectrum; now we know. :D

Someone help me with this, is it only me or is this the same stuff some blokes of the Milan, Italy University keep announcing every year?

Someone help me with this, is it only me or is this the same stuff some blokes of the Milan, Italy University keep announcing every year?

Haha, they did seem to start announcing the same discovery over and over again. But this time it actually is different, this time they've managed to perform the neat little trick using visible light, whereas in the past it was only ever possible with microwaves.

I don't imagine that running around in a cloak that only disguises you in the microwave region of the electromagnetic spectrum would be too helpful in many every day situations.

Haha, they did seem to start announcing the same discovery over and over again. But this time it actually is different, this time they've managed to perform the neat little trick using visible light, whereas in the past it was only ever possible with microwaves.

I don't imagine that running around in a cloak that only disguises you in the microwave region of the electromagnetic spectrum would be too helpful in many every day situations.

Yeh, at the office they used to call it the Nessie a la Milanése. TNX

You never know. Arnie wouldn't have needed to roll around in mud while escaping the Preditors senses if he had on of those cloaks.

You never know. Arnie wouldn't have needed to roll around in mud while escaping the Preditors senses if he had on of those cloaks

Actually the predator seen heat so making yourself visually invisible wouldn't have worked, just to note though covering your body in mud will actually mask your heat signature just like in the movie.

They have managed to do this with other spectrum's of light most notably infrared while not visible to the human eye still light.

Actually the predator seen heat so making yourself visually invisible wouldn't have worked, just to note though covering your body in mud will actually mask your heat signature just like in the movie.
So, you've actually thought about it?!? Haha! I laught but, so have I!

Ah I see, I always thought Preditor saw in infrared. Bah, that make the cloak even more worthless now. Bring on the UK cloak design!

So, you've actually thought about it?!? Haha! I laught but, so have I!

I know I'm a total geek... Me and my friends always talk about useless sci-fi stuff like this.... What was inaccurate about that movie was Jesse Ventura and that mini-gun he was slanging. In real life firing a gun like that no matter how big you are would mess you up LMAO!

Ah I see, I always thought Preditor saw in infrared. Bah, that make the cloak even more worthless now. Bring on the UK cloak design!

Actually the predator has via it's helmet multiple visual modes at least in 2, basically there is no hiding from one provided they were real.... humans also give off infrared light and other radiation too...

Soon we will having cloaking tech even more advanced then what we seen in the movie, I figure we will have visual stealth at ready to go in a decade or so. I actually think the US has probably been working on this in secret or maybe they have it already who knows...

I know I'm a total geek... Me and my friends always talk about useless sci-fi stuff like this....
My friends and I used to tear Star Wars and Star Trek apart. We'd shred other movies as well but, we always made it a point to hit theose two at some point. The sad part is that we all really liked those two series!

What was inaccurate about that movie was Jesse Ventura and that mini-gun he was slanging. In real life firing a gun like that no matter how big you are would mess you up LMAO!
I'm often bothered by that too. There is also a scene in Rambo, First Blood part II where Rambo is firing a fully auto fifty caliber machine gun from the waist. There is no way that anyone could even hold one like that when it's being fired. It would require super human strength. Are the directors trying to say that the characters have godlike powers or are they saying "Look how stupid we think the audience is!"???

Ah I see, I always thought Preditor saw in infrared.
Infared is seeing heat differences between objects.

I actually think the US has probably been working on this in secret or maybe they have it already who knows...
Obviously, if we do, it's not fully fielded but, that doesn't rule out the possibility that it could be in the prototype stages. Google the fiction book: "Stealth Warriors", I don't remember who the author is but, it is based on the idea. Edited by Lord Umbarger

The RAF developed a crude precursor to this sort of thing during WW2. They realised that - by and large - aircraft are darker than the skies above them. (when viewed from the ground).

So they but a bunch of lights underneath their bombers, carefully pre-set to different brightnesses. The crew would select a different brightness setting depending on wether it was dawn, dusk, full night etc etc. The lights would brighten up the airplane just enough to make it the same 'darkness' as the night sky.

Sadly, the Germans had since developed radar-guided night-fighters... so I'm not sure how sucesfull the idea was in practice.

"I say Ginger, this new light-cloak that the boffins in Q branch dreamed up is top-hole. Jerry will NEVER find us <KABOOM> oh bugger, me airplanes just blown up. "

Meow Purr.

Edited by ships-cat

The RAF developed a crude precursor to this sort of thing during WW2. They realised that - by and large - aircraft are darker than the skies above them. (when viewed from the ground).

So they but a bunch of lights underneath their bombers, carefully pre-set to different brightnesses. The crew would select a different brightness setting depending on wether it was dawn, dusk, full night etc etc. The lights would brighten up the airplane just enough to make it the same 'darkness' as the night sky.

Sadly, the Germans had since developed radar-guided night-fighters... so I'm not sure how sucesfull the idea was in practice.

"I say Ginger, this new light-cloak that the boffins in Q branch dreamed up is top-hole. Jerry will NEVER find us <KABOOM> oh bugger, me airplanes just blown up. "

Meow Purr.

heh, resourceful little buggers those Germans, eh? But they never dreamed that a gay guy would crack the enigma coding rendering the U-boats almost useless (Alan Turing)

heh, resourceful little buggers those Germans, eh? But they never dreamed that a gay guy would crack the enigma coding rendering the U-boats almost useless (Alan Turing)

Yeah. And considering how the government treated him afterwards, he might have wondered wether he would have been better off with the Nazi's :(

Meow Purr.

Yeah. And considering how the government treated him afterwards, he might have wondered wether he would have been better off with the Nazi's :(

Meow Purr.

True, really shameful.

But they never dreamed that a gay guy would crack the enigma coding (Alan Turing)

I don't know, he was bit more of a borderline pedophile than gayman.

In 1952- a 40yr man sleeping with a 18yr..... little bit shaky...

I don't know, he was bit more of a borderline pedophile than gayman.

In 1952- a 40yr man sleeping with a 18yr..... little bit shaky...

19 year old, and was arrested a year later.

Their crime — three occasions of consenting sex in Alan Turing's house in Wilmslow. The trial followed on 31 March 1952.

Source

Funny, as adult in those days you could seduce a 16 year old girl from " the lower classes " and get away with it.

19 year old, and was arrested a year later.

Source

19yr hmmh thank god for that. Was it a rent boy or his partner?

I see after his trial, he went on holiday to Norway...where he met a young Norwegian man, Kjell. Wonder how old he was?

His holiday was not completely disappointing, and some of his programs were named after a young Norwegian man, Kjell...

Funny, as adult in those days you could seduce a 16 year old girl from " the lower classes " and get away with it.

Yes Alan Truing was upper middle class- and considered a hero-if the authorities could've covered it up.. i'm sure they would've.

God knows what he got up to for them not to even bother..mmmh. :P Sounds like a bit of 'Arthur C Clarke' to me.

A genius... but you (breaths in) wouldn't want to let him baby sit the kids..

19yr hmmh thank god for that. Was it a rent boy or his partner?

I see after his trial, he went on holiday to Norway...where he met a young Norwegian man, Kjell. Wonder how old he was?

His holiday was not completely disappointing, and some of his programs were named after a young Norwegian man, Kjell...

Yes Alan Truing was upper middle class- and considered a hero-if the authorities could've covered it up.. i'm sure they would've.

God knows what he got up to for them not to even bother..mmmh. :P Sounds like a bit of 'Arthur C Clarke' to me.

A genius... but you (breaths in) wouldn't want to let him baby sit the kids..

Sincerely, I could not care less who sleeps with whom over 18, but that denies the " pedophile" remarks you have made above... which is really the point.

Sincerely, I could not care less who sleeps with whom over 18, but that denies the " pedophile" remarks you have made above... which is really the point.

I said borderline pedo...he obviously like young men.. the dirty old git. :P