Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man with 3 ears

from the mirror newspaper-http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weirdworld/2007/10/11/artist-gets-ear-implanted-on-arm-89520-19931984/

He's a kind of Vincent Van Gogh in reverse.

Unlike the famous painter who cut off an ear, artist Stelios Aroadiou is growing an extra one... on his ARM.

The Cypriot-born eccentric had it created in a lab from cells and implanted into his skin last year.

Originally he wanted it on his head as a kind of final front ear, but it was deemed too dangerous. Stelios, 61 - who calls himself Stelarc - searched for years to find a surgeon prepared to perform the tricky operation.

He finally got his wish after landing the post of Research Fellow at Nottingham Trent University's Digital Research Unit. Now the Australian-based performance artist has become a living exhibit, showing off his bizarre growth at an exhibition in Newcastle upon Tyne.

His next plan is to install tiny transmitters so people can hear the sounds his arm-ear is picking up. said: "I think art should be more than simply illustrating ideas."

The divorced dad-of-two admits his ex-wife was "a bit squeamish" after seeing his spare lug.

But current partner and fellow artist Nina Sellars, who once worked in a morgue, is happy to go out with a man with three ears.

At least he's a good listener.

Stelarc's latest project is a six-legged robot that dances when visitors enter the Dott 07 design festival in Newcastle

What next?

Edited by 1.618

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost It Notes

• SoulFire

• evil inside

• Charlie Donuts

Ew. Freaky. That is pretty odd. You don't hear about anything like that. That's truely unusual.

Yuk! It sounds completely unnatural (excuse the pun!)

*looks for a smiley that produces a yukky face*

Can't find one I'll just cry instead.... :cry:

This guy is a wing nut, I hope it cost him big bucks for this.

Why on earth would someone do that to themself? He is one sick bloke!

Why on earth would someone do that to themself? He is one sick bloke!

the 'why' completely escapes me. the techniques involved have potential though.

True... If I ever lose an ear, it's good to know that he can grow me a new one.

linked-image

linked-image

Who needs ears to hear with?

Cutaneous communication device

United States Patent 4139742 An apparatus for communication by transmitting voice signals to cutaneous nerve receptors, includes a transducer for stimulating the receptors, an amplifier for driving the transducer and a microphone for applying voice signals to the amplifier. By utilizing this apparatus, the hearing structure of the ear can be partially or wholly bypassed, thus providing another communication channel which can be used, for example, to help the deaf to communicate and to communicate when "noise" interferes with normal "hearing". http://freepatentsonline.com/4139742.html

I agree this could be great for people who need a small body part replaced or need one due to a birth defect

:unsure: wow... freaky... some people need more therapy than others.... :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

quality

fair play to the man i say

he wanted an ear on his arm so he got one

you cant knock that and this procedure could help lots of people

it takes something like this to bring it to the forefront and to peoples attention

but its still a bit random

lol, he should have put it on his hand then he would be able to say "Talk to the hand, cause the face ain't listening." and mean it litterally :P

FINALLY!!! Something new for the disaffected youth to use as a rebellion tool. Tattoos and piercings are passe. Hairstyle and color have been done to death. "Father to Daughter- I will not have any child of mine running around with extra body parts growing all over and that is FINAL!!!". Just wait until they master extra genitalia.

Cheers,

RWB64

He had it implanted. He's just an attentioon starved individual trying to be shocking.

FINALLY!!! Something new for the disaffected youth to use as a rebellion tool. Tattoos and piercings are passe. Hairstyle and color have been done to death. "Father to Daughter- I will not have any child of mine running around with extra body parts growing all over and that is FINAL!!!". Just wait until they master extra genitalia.

Cheers,

RWB64

some fool like this will probably get an extra penis on his forehead

Edited by klc9100

If u can grow N EXTRA ear whats to say u cant grown ane xtra heart for people with a failing heart ect... medical possiiblities are endless.

Hahahhaa! What a tool! I once saw on television where scientists were growing a human ear from the back of a rat to keep it living before transplant. Blech.

some fool like this will probably get an extra penis on his forehead

Hmmmm...... could be handy :devil:

He's obviously trying to emulate James T. Kirk... the man with three ears... the left ear, the right ear, and the final front ear!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

ho ho ho.

sorry.

He's obviously trying to emulate James T. Kirk... the man with three ears... the left ear, the right ear, and the final front ear!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

ho ho ho.

sorry.

Boo!! Hiss!! But I loved it!! Roflmao!!

Hahahhaa! What a tool! I once saw on television where scientists were growing a human ear from the back of a rat to keep it living before transplant. Blech.

I saw that too, but it was on the TV Series Nip/Tuck.