Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Greenpeace: Eat more kangaroos

UM-Bot

user posted image rMore kangaroos should be slaughtered and eaten to help save the world from global warming, environmental activists say. The controversial call to cut down on beef and serve more of the national symbol on our dinner plates follows a report on curbing greenhouse gas emissions damaging the planet.

Greenpeace energy campaigner Mark Wakeham urged Aussies to substitute some red meat for roo to help reduce land clearing and the release of methane gas from flatulent cattle and sheep.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: News.com.au

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Please Explain

• Jonny Wonny

• keithisco

Seems a little daft to me. Yesterday I went to macdonalds and there were protesters outside of it holding signs saying prevent global warming turn vegan.

Oh yeah, i eat everything except the one i never tried.

That's a dog food. I can eat lamb but not roo.

I eat roo about once a month, and I think the majority of other Australians have at least tried kangaroo. I can't see how any of us would be offended if other countries started consuming mass quantities of it.

I can't see how any of us would be offended if other countries started consuming mass quantities of it.

That's how i see it.

Export to the third world.

Can someone describe the flavour to me? I have seen Roo and Ostrich in the supermarkets over here in Spain but am just a little reluctant to buy it. Do Roos really not have any flatulence? :lol:

Just another small push towards a global carbon tax..

Heck why dont they start slaughtering humans...After all, we are the 'main' cause suposedly.

Hardly anything to do with multiple other planets warming, and the increase of solar activity during the last 8 years.

Pollution is a fact, Global warming is based around hypothesis's and backed up by scientists who never even gave permission for there name to be placed on the 'Leading Scientist' list.

Pay your global carbon tax, kiss your global elite that hand you scraps from the table and give you devalued money and soon to be chips in your kids.

We all deserve to be culled at the hands of these mentally ill power freaks for being so ignorant and believing there lies, even after they have been proven.

linked-image

Please don't eat me... please..

Just another small push towards a global carbon tax..

Heck why dont they start slaughtering humans...After all, we are the 'main' cause suposedly.

Hardly anything to do with multiple other planets warming, and the increase of solar activity during the last 8 years.

Pollution is a fact, Global warming is based around hypothesis's and backed up by scientists who never even gave permission for there name to be placed on the 'Leading Scientist' list.

Pay your global carbon tax, kiss your global elite that hand you scraps from the table and give you devalued money and soon to be chips in your kids.

We all deserve to be culled at the hands of these mentally ill power freaks for being so ignorant and believing there lies, even after they have been proven.

Are you starting another Global Warming thread?

What does Roo meat taste like, that's all I want to know!!!

linked-image

Looks like a Giant Rat!! Perhaps I'll stick to the fish and Free-Range Chicken :lol:

linked-image

Awwww!! That picture is soo cute.

Why don't they eat kangaroos?

There's no way I'm eatting an animal like a kangaroo.

A little bit of trivia: a lot of our firefighter gloves are made partially from kangaroo skin. It works much better than cowhide and pigskin when wet; much more pliable when it dries off unlike pigskin which is like wearing two footballs on your hands when they dry off after a fire...

Cute yes. Save my hands in a fire, even better.

Great about the roo leather, but yes...please someone tell us how they taste.

Great about the roo leather, but yes...please someone tell us how they taste.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess chicken.

People need to stop killing innocent animals and start controlling their own population numbers, the planet has to suffer because nearly every person in the world is a hog/meateater/selfish bunch of dirty b*******, they need to get their heads straight, they're making our planet sick because of thier greed.

I remember McDonald's getting into trouble for mixing roo meat with beef in their burgers. Seems like kind of a pricey thing to do so it is most likely not true. I would eat it if I had access to it. I think we would have all been better off raising native animals for food and keeping native animals as pets. That way we would introduce fewer non-native species into habitat. In the US we would raise buffalo and deer for eating. Both are tasty and low in fat. I guess we could use moose for milking.

linked-image

Sorry roo but humans are the only thing not on my menu...well maybe not baby roos ...ah you wore me down with your cuteness!

Can someone describe the flavour to me? I have seen Roo and Ostrich in the supermarkets over here in Spain but am just a little reluctant to buy it. Do Roos really not have any flatulence? :lol:

of course they have flatulence, every animal does.. the fact of the matter is that a ruminent (or a cow) breaks down its food in a different manner, and as you probably know have four chambers to their stomachs. the rumen, reticulum, osmasum and abomasum (and not four stomachs as is quite wrongly stated). their food is chewed, swallowed, left to stew in the rumen, brought back up (cud), chewed swallowed. etc

the food is essentially fermented, which creates a lot of gases.. in turn creates methane.. and there you have it. a walking farting and burping machine..

in turn the roo only has a single chambered stomach, and does not process the food as the cow does..

it also does not look like a rat keithisco.

Edited by tigger

Looks like a Giant Rat!! Perhaps I'll stick to the fish and Free-Range Chicken

Well if you ever come face to face with a fully grown male Kangaroo standing up-right I hope you are over 6 foot tall, they can get quite big and do not look anything like rats, they are beautiful although potentially dangerous creatures. :tu:

I cooked up some kangaroo kebabs the other night which wasnt bad. I was surprised to see them in the shops.. so I had to try them out.. And they wernt bad. It's yum... like a richer version of beef.

I cooked up some kangaroo kebabs the other night which wasnt bad. I was surprised to see them in the shops.. so I had to try them out.. And they wernt bad. It's yum... like a richer version of beef.

Anyone know if you can buy kangaroo meat in the UK? I've not seen it.

I don't agree with what Greenpeace says about the Roo damaging the environment through global warming...next they'll be telling us they're damaging the environment by farting too much...gimmie a break. lol! The Roo is/has been 'native' to Australia from the start, 'why now' bring all this up(?)

Although i agree with the human consumption side of it though, because Roo meat is a lot more beneficial to our health than beef/lamb/pork, the export market is growing big time. I've eaten it a few times myself and agree with Kaz, it's the richer leaner version of beef just a touch more on the sweeter side imo :tu:

CSIRO: Australia - Kangaroo meat - health secret revealed ... Nutrition and heart health aspects of kangaroo meat.

''STAY COOL JACK!'' :tu:

linked-image

Kangaroo is actually very good. I for one wish regular grocery stores would have more variety in the meats they sell. I would love to be able to pick up kangaroo, ostrich, venison, bison, rabbit, etc. during my weekly visits.

As it stands now, unless I go to a specialty shop, I'm stuck with fish, beef, pork, turkey, chicken and lamb.