Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The science of sea monsters

UM-Bot

user posted image rSea monsters are in the news and on television like never before. NBC has a hit show on Monday nights with "Surface," about a huge, terrifying aquatic creature, and sea monsters grace the cover of the December 2005 issue of National Geographic. Scientists working in Patagonia, South America, recently found remains of a 13-foot beast with four-inch teeth.

The creature, dubbed "Godzilla" by its discoverers, is a distant relative of today's crocodiles and lived about 135 million years ago.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: UFO Digest

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Since804

• ~ MacDDT ~

• Katana357

• TeraLink

To begin with I love the video that the articles picture was taken from. I can turn on "Chased by Dinosaurs" and no matter what my nine and six year old are doing it stops them in their tracks. The section on the different creatures of our past seas is the best in my opinion.

As for the article I think that a small amount of scientific data has once again been used to paint every discovery of this type with the same brush. I find it interesting that if you go back through the events where something less decayed than a "globster" is found the explanation is always either a Beaked Whale or a Basking Shark. If you don't believe me go through the fantastic archives of this websites galleries and look at the "scientific" explanations given to some of the more interesting finds. The simple fact of the matter is that this article once again tells us to listen to the very people that told us the Giant Squid couldn't exist. They also said that the Coelacanth was extinct and had been for nearly 65 million years. Oops! They also remarked that it was highly unlikely that as of 1951 the human race would discover any new animal over twenty five pounds in weight on land. These people are the very same ones that told us that there were no giant monkey like people running around the lowlands of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Oops a Mountain sub specie of gorilla was found there in 1973 and the entire genus wasn't discovered and officially classified until 1905. So in the future when our narrominded friends in the scientific community tell us that they know all and anything that we describe as "Unidentified" is simply "misidentified", ask them how the Coelacanth is doing?

Katana357 :P

In case your wondering the "fish" in the picture is a computer generated Dunkleosteus or"armored fish". This bad boy lived around 400 million years ago was about 30 feet long and weighed a couple of tons at least. It's armoured mouth could exert a minimum of 8,000 lbs. of pressure per square inch putting up near the ranks of the Hyena and Alligator Snapping Turtle as the hardest biter of all time. It ate other armoured fish of the day and after digesting the soft nuggety center, sorry that's candy bars not fish, it regurgitated the armour. How would you like to catch one of these out of the corner of your eye while scuba diving? :w00t:

Katana357 ;)

"Surface" was an awesome series!! Don't know why it was cancelled. :(

However, the creatures in the show were (as it appears we are believe) genetically engineered by some super corportation using some kind of space DNA or alien technology. Possibly as a bio-weapon.

"Surface" was an awesome series!! Don't know why it was cancelled. :(

However, the creatures in the show were (as it appears we are believe) genetically engineered by some super corportation using some kind of space DNA or alien technology. Possibly as a bio-weapon.

It was an incredible series. Each episode was like a miny movie. Its been canelled for awhile(2 years), so this article must have not checked its sources.

Edited by Eric Raven The Skeptic

In case your wondering the "fish" in the picture is a computer generated Dunkleosteus or"armored fish". This bad boy lived around 400 million years ago was about 30 feet long and weighed a couple of tons at least. It's armoured mouth could exert a minimum of 8,000 lbs. of pressure per square inch putting up near the ranks of the Hyena and Alligator Snapping Turtle as the hardest biter of all time. It ate other armoured fish of the day and after digesting the soft nuggety center, sorry that's candy bars not fish, it regurgitated the armour. How would you like to catch one of these out of the corner of your eye while scuba diving? :w00t:

Katana357 ;)

Huh... I didn't know that.

TeraLink Was Here!

I'M SCARED OF THE OCEAN!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop

haha I wish I had millions of dollars because I would set up a research team off of Newfoundland and try to track down giant squid ,since804 your more than welcome to join the team my freind!

haha I wish I had millions of dollars because I would set up a research team off of Newfoundland and try to track down giant squid ,since804 your more than welcome to join the team my freind!

Sure count me in, just as soon as hell freezes over and Bush grows a brain. :tu:

Sure count me in, just as soon as hell freezes over and Bush grows a brain. :tu:

When I first read the "hell freezing over" part of your comment I still had a little hope you might join ....then you shut the door forever lol

• 2 weeks later...
When I first read the "hell freezing over" part of your comment I still had a little hope you might join ....then you shut the door forever lol

i died when i read this :rofl:

we haven't discovered the deepest of our oceans yet, i believe there is more to see down there than we could imagine and you never know the creatures down there could have the same texture as of the whales since they can dive quite deep

I said this on another post but I'll say it again. I believe that since the the theory that we came out of the sea and evolved into what we are today, is it really that hard to believe that other things stayed behind and went deeper into the ocean and evolved.

This subject has always held my fascanation. Ever since I saw the movie "The Abyss". :P

I said this on another post but I'll say it again. I believe that since the the theory that we came out of the sea and evolved into what we are today, is it really that hard to believe that other things stayed behind and went deeper into the ocean and evolved.

This subject has always held my fascanation. Ever since I saw the movie "The Abyss". :P

I agree with you 100%, who knows what has come and gone or to what exist today? Most people wonder about what life might exist on other planets but I'm more fascinated with the oceans.

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from the fact that I can't swim, stories about sea monsters also scares me away from open water lol. <,< so lame, but despite my fear, I would love to see a real sea monster!