Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australian PM Howard sets election

questionmark

Australian PM Howard sets election

Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:28am EDT

By Rob Taylor

CANBERRA (Reuters) - Australia's veteran Prime Minister John Howard on Sunday called a national election for November 24, stressing experience over his Labor opponent and shrugging off polls that show he faces near-certain defeat.

Howard, 68, in power for 11 years but lagging well behind youthful Labor leader Kevin Rudd in opinion surveys, said that only he was able to lead Australia into the future and continue the country's current resource-driven economic boom.

"Love me or loath me the Australian people know where I stand on all the major issues of importance to their future," said Howard, who is danger of losing in his own Sydney-based seat.

Howard, Australia's second-longest serving leader, said the country was enjoying remarkable prosperity, but promised voters the best years could lie ahead.

"But that won't happen automatically. This country does not need new leadership, it does not need old leadership, it needs the right leadership," he said, unveiling what will likely become the conservatives' fighting slogan.

But if Howard wins he has already said he will hand over the prime ministership to his deputy, Treasurer Peter Costello, some time during the next term.

The election will determine the future of Canberra's military contribution in Iraq and climate change stance, with Labor promising to bring home combat troops and sign the Kyoto climate pact. But the poll will be fought and won on domestic issues.

Full story, Source: Reuters

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fox Mulder

• EnelyaCalaelen

• black dahlia 83

• questionmark

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt vote Howard's Liberals back in for the simple fact that sometime in the near future he will retire and hand the reins over to Costello.

Do we really want to be know as the country who has Abott and Costello as two of the most powerful pollies?

I dont think so.

I really hope Howards lies will come back to bite him in the butt. The whole GST, IR reforms, Low interest rates, War in Iraq, poeple over board scandal.

Its about time we had new ideas and Kevin Rudd is the man for the job. He may be inxperienced, and have ex union officials in his party but give me them any day over Howard and his Liberal cronies.

In the 90's Australia was in recession under the then Labour leaders of the Country.

I'd rather have Howard and the men who have learnt beneath him, who has brought Australia economic stability, low unemployment, and better living standards.

Those people who say he has done Australia no good need to remember the 80's and 90's and see how much better we are for Howards leadership!

In the 90's Australia was in recession under the then Labour leaders of the Country.

I'd rather have Howard and the men who have learnt beneath him, who has brought Australia economic stability, low unemployment, and better living standards.

Those people who say he has done Australia no good need to remember the 80's and 90's and see how much better we are for Howards leadership!

Well said.

What's worrying is that people seem tired of a booming economy, the lowest unenployment rates in something like 30 years, and overall stability. I really don't understand people who say "Its time for a change"

A change to what? ...

"Ditto" Aussie, Aussie, Aussie :tu:

Johnnies got my vote!

Well said.

What's worrying is that people seem tired of a booming economy, the lowest unenployment rates in something like 30 years, and overall stability. I really don't understand people who say "Its time for a change"

A change to what? ...

It's not a booming economy that people have tired of. It's the years of sleaze and lies thinly veiled by national security, the laws that diminish the benefits that workers are now being asked to do more and not get. It's the slavish following of a very foreign policy that is supporting two shambolic wars. It's the appalling treatment of refugees and some citizens who have been treated like virtual terrorists. It's the Federal Government seeking to centralise power and marginalise the states far more than a moderate left Labour government would aim at. What the hell is Howards 'aspirational nationalism' for? We've got sport to handle that. We're long overdue for a change.