Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gordon Brown rules out EU Treaty vote

questionmark

Gordon Brown rules out EU Treaty vote

By Bonnie Malkin, Bruno Waterfield and Toby Helm

Last Updated: 7:00pm BST 18/10/2007

Gordon Brown has resisted last minute calls for a referendum on the European Union Treaty.

Speaking in Lisbon ahead of a summit of Europe's leaders during which he will sign up to the Treaty, he said protections for the British people had been secured and no vote was needed.

His comments come as the Telegraph delivered a petition of more than 108,000 signatures to Downing Street demanding a national referendum on the EU Reform Treaty.

An official at Number 10 received a box containing the names of members of the public who have backed the campaign, one of the most well-supported in the Telegraph’s 152-year-history.

But Mr Brown insisted that the draft treaty guaranteed Britain's sovereignty in justice, home and foreign affairs and security issues.

"If it was the old Treaty there would have been a referendum, but we have a very different document.

"This is an amending Treaty, the constitutional concept was abandoned in Brussels.

"The subsequent changes include the protections for the British national institutions we demanded."

EU leaders meeting in Lisbon must resolve the last obstacles to agree the landmark EU treaty. The document will lay out how to run the expanding bloc in the years ahead and replaces the defunct EU Constitution, which French and Dutch voters rejected in 2005.

The Prime Minister said the right place for a debate over the Treaty was Parliament and it was time to "bring an end to this prolonged period of inward looking institutional debate".

Full story, Soure: The Telegraph

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GreyWeather

• questionmark

• ships-cat

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait 'till he... Mysteriously fall from PM... Man I hate him.

He's trying to be better than Blair, he isn't he's a nusience. He can't run a country, look at him. He broke ANOTHER promise... To hold a vote, yet decides not to at the very last minute.

No one wants to be IN the EU... Man I hate him.

I think Gordon Brown is a good man... or at least... no worse than the rest of the trough-feeding "executive" that we have at the moment in the "New Labour" party.

However, I believe that his decision on refusing a refferendum (assuming that he was quoted correctly here) is going to destroy his government. It is also going to fuel groups like UKIP and the BNP. And rightly so.

Gordon ...in opposition .. made a big fuss about "letting the poeple decide" on Europe.

He also produced (once in government as the Chancelor of the Exchequer) the famous "red lines"... the limits that he would set on EU influence in the UK. (whillst also refusing to say what those red lines where).

He's blown it.

Meow Purr.

I think Gordon Brown is a good man... or at least... no worse than the rest of the trough-feeding "executive" that we have at the moment in the "New Labour" party.

However, I believe that his decision on refusing a refferendum (assuming that he was quoted correctly here) is going to destroy his government. It is also going to fuel groups like UKIP and the BNP. And rightly so.

Gordon ...in opposition .. made a big fuss about "letting the poeple decide" on Europe.

He also produced (once in government as the Chancelor of the Exchequer) the famous "red lines"... the limits that he would set on EU influence in the UK. (whillst also refusing to say what those red lines where).

He's blown it.

Meow Purr.

Yep, labour won't be in again for a while.

Hmmm... but how many do really believe that the Tories would put Europe up for popular vote?

Europe may be very unpopular in England, but that does not mean that GB could play any significant role in the world without it.