Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

California's Burning

ships-cat

I hear over 300,000 have been forced to flee their homes and over 30,000 are without power... shouldnt be long before the looting starts.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ships-cat

• Clocker

• Princess Serenity

• EmpressStarXVII

I hear over 300,000 have been forced to flee their homes and over 30,000 are without power... shouldnt be long before the looting starts.

Apparantly it's VERY calm in that regard. Law-abiding citizens and all that.

Although police report that a suburban shop selling medeival instruments has been broken into. Police blame "luters".

now i know why everybody loves england, no fires :D , sorry ships cat for p*ssing on your territory

linked-image

Darned country is too soggy to burn. Joking apart... we build out of brick .. not wood.

Meow Purr.

yep we learnt this thanks to the great fire of london, that will never happen again unless their is another poll tax riot :lol:

In the 3'rd week of July, there were threads about rain in the U.K. and drought in the Mediterranian. The going excuse was 'global climate mismanagement'. I posted that I thought it was was because of the threshold being crossed from El Nino into La Nina conditions (sea surface temperature conditions in the Pacific Ocean), a rather normal affair.

Human impact on air pollution aside, we have now proceeded into La Nina, with cool ocean surface temperatures in the eastern pacific, and warm temperatures in the west. It's very normal, except that there are always various anamolies. How those play out determines the overall impacts.

The worst local relative drought has been in the eastern U.S., this year. However, local wind patterns increase fire hazzards in southern California.

linked-image

linked-image

yep we learnt this thanks to the great fire of london, that will never happen again unless their is another poll tax riot :lol:

Perhaps you're thinking of the Brixton or Bristol riots ? The poll-tax "riots" didn't lead to much burning... the perpetrators where FAR to wet. :P

Meanwhile... back in California... :P

*edit* I cross-posted with an article from Leadbelly.... y'all might want to jump back to the bottom of the previous page and see what he posted... interesting...

Meow Purr.

Edited by ships-cat

It's because Bush can't be blamed for the wildfires.

But I'm sure as soon as they find a way to blame Bush, you'll find more discussion. It won't be long before Ripley claims if Bush didn't have troops in Iraq, there'd be no fire in California, and that Rush is making fun of those who died in the fire because he said the word "hot" on air.

BrucePrime-- I enjoy reading most of your posts even though my politics are different from your's. But some folks here have family in southern California and can't locate them. So hold the sarcasm on this subject, okay?

Edited by Siara

Hell, we let a city drown .................. Why not let a state burn?

...........Wow. Yes, what a fantastic idea. Lets stick it to em'. Show them what it feels like to be a refugee. Have their home turn to nothing, their life crumble. Great idea.

You must be kidding.

I hope they kill the fires soon. I really do. I have a friend who lives there. And he got off yesterdaty.

There's over five fires! I'm watching the developments on Fox News Channel now.

That's not just a sick and depraved lie.

That is heartless to the point of monstrous.

Enough with the sarcasm, please...

Guys, that was out of line.

I'm all right. La Puente is nowhere near the fires. The sky was orange pretty much all day. I'm gonna ask my sister how's it going on her end since she lives in Fontana, which is in San Bernadino County. To make it worse, it was HOT, it was like 95 degrees. There was even bits of ash coming from the sky. Thank goodness the Santa Anas winds will go away Thursday.

what if the fires were started by terrorists.................

who ever started any one of these is one

be it foreign or domesic

They seem to think most of the fires were started by downed power lines, though there is a chance some were started by arsonists. The problem is a combination of heavy, very dry underbrush, low humidity and gale-force winds. You start with a fire, the fire sends up plumes of burning debris which the wind catches and tosses into surrounding patches of underbrush, and suddenly you have four or five fires, tossing up plumes of burning debris for the wind to catch and spread ever further. To make things worse, the high winds are grounding firefighting planes, which are needed for their ability to drop large amounts of water and fire r******ant.

If you are at all religious, pray for anyone caught in the line of the fires and pray for those who are fighting them!

Fluffy, I've been wondering how and where you were! I know they're calling on firefighters from out of state to help them. Are you apt to wind up in the middle of this? If so, be safe!

Edit: Uh, fire SUPPRESSANT? Why did it bleep those letters? Do they spell a bad word? If so, will someone tell me what it means? :hmm:

Edited by Elfstone810

I'm all right. La Puente is nowhere near the fires. The sky was orange pretty much all day. I'm gonna ask my sister how's it going on her end since she lives in Fontana, which is in San Bernadino County. To make it worse, it was HOT, it was like 95 degrees. There was even bits of ash coming from the sky. Thank goodness the Santa Anas winds will go away Thursday.

I hope your going to be okay, Walter.

I can't believe there is now over 5 fires. x_x

what if the fires were started by terrorists.................

Or maybe it could have been the dry weather.

I hope your going to be okay, Walter.

I can't believe there is now over 5 fires. x_x

Or maybe it could have been the dry weather.

Thats what they want you to think ;)

Well, I got an email from my cousin: he and his wife are safe. (wifey is asthmatic - even mild smoke could kill her)... so that's good news. :D

Well... a quick trawl of Google News...

California fire outbeats Firefighters

Faced with unrelenting winds whipping wildfires into a frenzy across Southern California, firefighters conceded defeat to an unstoppable force that has chased more than 500,000 people from their homes.

link

Hmmm... methinks FluffyBunny might have comments on THAT one. US Firefighteres never give in.

Umma rejoices as Non-believers burn in hell

This one from Al Jazeera

Hee... just being mischeivous... the report is actually reasonably balanced, though tending (marginaly) on the negative/shock side. But then.. who has the facts right now ?

and the political "beauty parade" kicks off..

Presidential candidate donates money to California fire victims... Meow Link

Well... perhaps he is genuinly concerned ? ? Who am I to cast aspersions ?

Is it just me that is amazed at how LITTLE "news" posts their are on Google News ? (which merely scans the most popular news websites.. indicating that the MSM is not covering the story ? )

Meow Purr :unsure2:

glad the familys ok.....hopefully the wind dies down...what a mess.

CNN website:

Stressed families see homes burn on TV

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/24/evac.navy/index.html

So... many people (myself included) go through a home-building stage in their lives. They reach a point where they decide that they can't change the world but they can acquire a tiny, tiny part of it and make it a decent place. Raise their kids there. Have a long-term relationship there. Whatever. Can you imagine going through that stage, working for 20 years to make something nice, and then watching the whole thing burn down, while you're in a public place surrounded by strangers?

A lot of people are experiencing that now. How horrible.

Hee... just being mischeivous... the report is actually reasonably balanced, though tending (marginaly) on the negative/shock side. But then.. who has the facts right now ?

Some little kitty cat is going to get aluminum foil wrapped around his feet O:-). Glad to hear your family is alright. A friend of mine took a picture of the Californian sunset; he lives 100 miles away from the fire although I don't know if the picture was taken from that far away. Scary.

This is spooky I would be to scared to live there myself. Fires, earthquakes, heck maybe even a tsunami. San Diego is a great city to visit but I don't think I would want to live there.

This is spooky I would be to scared to live there myself. Fires, earthquakes, heck maybe even a tsunami. San Diego is a great city to visit but I don't think I would want to live there.

Theres risks to living everywhere. Although if I would have to choose the lesser of the natural disasters, I suppose i'll stick with the possible tornadoes and floods of west virginia than an earthquake.