Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US Army Lures Foreigners with Promise of

Bob26003

US Army Lures Foreigners with Promise of Citizenship

By Cordula Meyer in Washington

10/22/07 "SPIEGEL" -- -- -More than 30,000 foreign troops are enlisted in the US Army, many of them serving in Iraq. Their reward for risking their lives for their adopted country is US citizenship.

When Anna Maria Clarke, 26, was a teenager living in the western German city of Mannheim, she already had a weakness for smart uniforms, particularly on American soldiers, and for war movies like "Full Metal Jacket." It was an attraction that Clarke, a German citizen, felt early on and still feels today.

The parents of 25-year-old Julieta Ortiz immigrated to the United States from Mexico City, dirt-poor but ambitious. They worked hard picking strawberries in California, determined that their daughter would have a better life. Four years ago, Julieta suddenly found a way to that better life -- a difficult path, but one that would lift her out of the poverty of her childhood.

Jose Figueira, 31, spent much of his life listening to his father proudly recount his experiences as a soldier in the Portuguese army. Figueira, who grew up in Massachusetts, yearned to have something he could be just as proud of. "I wanted to prove that I'm a good citizen, that I'm willing to stand up for everything I love about this country."

They may have different reasons for joining the US Armed Forces, but all three are now among the more than 30,000 foreign soldiers fighting for America -- not as Americans, but as a Mexican, a Portuguese and even a German. Without its foreign soldiers, the United States would have trouble coming up with enough troops to meet the demand in Iraq. The foreigners, for their part, take the dangerous job mainly for its biggest reward: US citizenship.

Since Sept. 11, 2001, the United States has granted US citizenship to 32,500 foreign soldiers. In July 2002, US President George W. Bush issued an executive order to expand existing legislation to offer a fast track to citizenship to foreigners who agree to fight for the US Armed Forces. About 8,000 non-Americans have joined the US military every year since then.

The foreigners already represent 5 percent of all recruits. They even make up the majority of soldiers from some New York and Los Angeles neighborhoods. Four years and 3,800 US deaths after the beginning of the Iraq campaign, fewer and fewer American citizens are willing to fight in a war opposed by a majority of the US population. But despite the Iraq war's lack of popularity, US generals are demanding 180,000 new recruits a year.

The Pentagon already spends $3.2 billion a year on recruitment, even sending its recruiters to high schools to persuade 17-year-olds still a year away from graduation to enlist.

The US military learned long ago that foreign recruits are often the most dedicated Americans. Anna Maria from Mannheim, looking girlish with her red ponytail, had always dreamed about the US military. She was attracted to the American soldiers living in Germany, who seemed so relaxed about life. When she fell in love, it was always with an American GI. Her soft spot earned her the nickname "Ami-Anna" ("Yankee Anna"). Of course, she married a GI. She began secretly watching her husband's fellow soldiers doing their push-ups and sit-ups in the morning. Then she started exercising, lost 25 kilograms (55 pounds), passed the admission test and survived US Army boot camp in Texas.

Article Continues........... http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article18603.htm

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bob26003

• BrucePrime

• The Silver Thong

• Lt_Ripley

Top Posters In This Topic

been wondering all last week how long it would take for this article to show up, but seems that Bob was on vacation *waves*

I think serving in the US military is a great way to not only show your loyalty to the US but a great path to citizenship if you don't want to wait in line.

Maybe opportunity is a more approriate word than LURE.

But it's Bobs forum. ;)

Edited by AROCES

I think serving in the US military is a great way to not only show your loyalty to the US but a great path to citizenship if you don't want to wait in line.

BRAVO!!!!!

Seems like a pretty fair way to earn your way into the country. I dont have a problem with it.

Agreed but not only for the U.S. but they do seem to have the biggest agenda so hell ya do it. Oh and lets send that guy that was deported from Canada who wants to become a Canadian citizan prove it.

I dont like it. Sounds pretty mercenary to me. I mean I realize they are having diffaculties meeting recruitment goals but still.

I thought soldiers were soldiers because they wanted to be. Because they believed in the cause.

I realize that is naive.

I dont like it. Sounds pretty mercenary to me. I mean I realize they are having diffaculties meeting recruitment goals but still.

I thought soldiers were soldiers because they wanted to be. Because they believed in the cause.

I realize that is naive.

Bob alot of countries use conscription and is widely accepted. It wouldn't be like they were sent over to learn on there own.

Then again it could prove to be a big training ground for future terrorists that might attack the U.S. oh wait thats been done already.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything. If they wish to become citizens they have many routes to doing so, this just one.

When I was in the Army I served with folks from all over the world that would have jumped at the chance for this...

Just because you would not choose it does not mean it is not a valid option for many people.

At least it is an honorable way to get here.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything. If they wish to become citizens they have many routes to doing so, this just one.

When I was in the Army I served with folks from all over the world that would have jumped at the chance for this...

Just because you would not choose it does not mean it is not a valid option for many people.

Very good point, this is not mandatory, but an option. I think it's a great idea. After 2 years serving, not necessarily on the front lines but serving the country you want to live in would bolster support for immigrants from the nation providing this option. I think it would make both immigrants that opt for this option more comfortable but also the country they are serving for that much more appreciative to have them.

I dunno, I see it as a way to meet recruiting goals because the public does not support this corrupt War.

I see it as a cheap mercenary move by our Gov.

Didn't Rome do that? Have foreigners and mercenaries fight for them?

Isn't that one of the things that led to Rome's downfall.

Edited by Bob26003

Maybe opportunity is a more approriate word the LURE.

But it's Bobs forum. ;)

LMAO no kidding!

Joining a country's military, to hasten your citizenship of that country, is nothing new.

My father fought beside a German Jew in World War II, a man who fled Germany and joined the U.S. Army so he could get U.S. citizenship more quickly. He was not a U.S. citizen during the Battle of the Bulge; he was still a German citizen on paper (but with U.S. military identification, to be sure).

Mercenary?

What an insulting word. Serving the country of your intended citizenship is not being a mercenary.

Mercenaries fight for money, not a cause.

Mercenaries are motivated by money, not a cause.

Many things led to ancient Rome's downfall --- among them, too much leisure time, garbage replacing art, the alienation of the common man from his government and youth who rejected the duties and obligations their fathers held so dear.

I realize that is naive.

Even mercenaries do what they do by choice... No one forces former soldiers to join Blackwater.

This is really a 'If you scratch my back, I will scratch yours' deal. No one is saying they have to but rather making them an offer.

If Mexicans and I say Mexican because this is who this offer is clearly aimed at love the USA and want to live there legally they now have another way to do so besides waiting in line. They also get to earn money in the process and live in the US until their service is complete and afterwards too.

If I lived in a third world country and I had this type of opportunity I would gladly jump at the chance to actually have a chance at life and not live in poverty.

So basically what you have is people fighting for America, who have never even been in America? :blink: Doesn't sound right.

This is nothing new. It's been happening since at least WWII.

Just because you hate the military, and because you have an extreme ignorance of history, does not make it new or something evil.

while some may see it as a way of gaining citizenship - it is also hypocritical in a sense. People have been screaming to have illegals removed yet change their tune if those same are willing to die in place of citizens who are pro war and unwilling to serve.

while some may see it as a way of gaining citizenship - it is also hypocritical in a sense. People have been screaming to have illegals removed yet change their tune if those same are willing to die in place of citizens who are pro war and unwilling to serve.

I'd trust an illegal who is willing to serve and die for the country he loves more than a hypocritical liar like you.

Edited by BrucePrime

I'd trust an illegal who is willing to serve and die for the country he loves more than a hypocritical liar like you.

are you serving in Iraq you ? the only hypocrite and liar here is you. lol and you know it. !!!!

are you serving in Iraq you ? the only hypocrite and liar here is you. lol and you know it. !!!!

Wow, the three exclaimation points are really convincing.

I'm sorry, I don't post smears, I do not perpetuate lies, nor do I bash others for doing things I do. You attack others for not serving when you have not served a day in your life. You whine and moan that people are not sacrificing enough, then turn around and want others to pay more taxes or die. You claim to be anti-war, but are gung-ho for others to die in a war you don't believe in.

bruce why dont you sign up and give up the rude armchair general role?...bushco would appreciate your service...

I'm sorry, I don't post smears, I do not perpetuate lies, nor do I bash others for doing things I do. You attack others for not serving when you have not served a day in your life. You whine and moan that people are not sacrificing enough, then turn around and want others to pay more taxes or die. You claim to be anti-war, but are gung-ho for others to die in a war you don't believe in.

let me get my hip waders out cause brucie you sh**e is getting deep. you don't lie ? lol. your facts are hardly right ever.

I physically can't serve ( and nor would I if I could for a lie of a war) but have 2 family members that do. One is done with his service and one is still in Iraq as a driver. ( to be fair he's my sisters cousin and I was even surprised to find out he's serving as a driver).

You support the war ? think it was right ? than why aren't you serving ? how about your kids ? wife ? other family ? I'm sick of Bush supporters who support the war with big fat mouths but are too chicken to serve . You want the war ? go fight it.

I am anti war which is why I think they should be brought home.

Yes those who support the war should have to pay for it. It's your mess you support you clean it up. but of course it will be dems that do . cons would rather get tax breaks and be irresponsible and hand the bill over to our kids.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

Bruce this is one of the funnest posts I have ever seen you wright.

"I'm sorry, I don't post smears"

Now that made me spit coffee all over my paper work.

"I do not perpetuate lies, nor do I bash others for doing things I do

Ummm ok :blink:

Actually I have to believe this post was just for comic relief, very funny Bruce :tu: