Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would it be so bad if there wasn't a God?

als1618

Now don't call me a hypocrite, I still take my same stand as before in the thread "why would it be so bad if there is a God?" I just thought it would only be fair to ask the opposite of that question. So why would it be so bad if there wasn't a God? All responses welcome.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jor-el

• Compline

• Jodie.Lynne

• evancj

Now don't call me a hypocrite, I still take my same stand as before in the thread "why would it be so bad if there is a God?" I just thought it would only be fair to ask the opposite of that question. So why would it be so bad if there wasn't a God? All responses welcome.

If God didn't actually exist, then no it wouldn't be all that bad, it would just be humanity and the physical universe, and whatever that had to give us. We would either eat or be eaten by other civilizations. We showed we could do it once, we might be able to do it again.

Edited by Jor-el

Maybe this god exists hypothesis worked to keep us on the right track for the better good of humanity!

But, now as we are becoming more advanced, we are learning that there could be other possibilities

than just some omnipotent creator.

So, no I really don't think it would be that bad if we didn't have a so called god! But, this is just my opinion.

Maybe it would free people to concentrate on other ideas like 'oneness of species'.

It may also put a stop to humankind being 'divided and conquered' by feuding religious cults and end the lunatic concept of religious bigotry.

It might also stop scientific knowledge being perverted by people who beleive the earth is 3000 years old(although I doubt it).

Edited by karl 12

Would there be good or bad if there wasn't a God?

It would be terrible. For a start I would be dead, at least four times over, if god did not exist.

If there was, in fact, no god, then humanity would be forced to stand on its own two feet and face the universe. We would also have to come to grips with the thought that ALL good and ALL evil springs from within ourselves.

And perhaps, just perhaps, there would be a little less divisiveness amongst the nations of man.

Hmm...I suppose the answer to this question depends on how you view God and his involvement in humanity and Creation. In my opinion, without God we do not exist. If by some off and weird happening, nothingness exploded into the universe we know without the help of God, and if through billions of years of "evolution" man existed, we'd be highly animalistic (even more so than we currently are) and we wouldn't have the divine spark (or soul) which God infused into all mankind, we wouldn't be made in the image of God, and we wouldn't know humanity as "humanity". In fact, if there was no God and if by some impossible working of illogical theory we ended up existing, than we wouldn't know that there was no God, we would have no superego, we'd be like babies...and because we'd be so unintelligent and physically limited (in comparison to the rest of nature) we'd be eliminated in accordance with the "survival of the fittest" theory or natural selection. In other words, if there wasn't a God, there wouldn't be us.

Edited by Knight of Zion (COI)

admitting we a void of a Deity is simply our next step in human evolution.

until then we will continue to chase our tails into the void of extinction.

Yes. Because there are people who don't think there is a God, and they still know good and bad.

It would be like when your 15 and your parents go away for the weekend and you have the house to yourself!! WOo hoo!

If your parents were perverse, authoritarian and punitive dictators that is.

Poor Jesus.

'JMPD1' date='Oct 28 2007, 06:09 PM' post='1956436']

If there was, in fact, no god, then humanity would be forced to stand on its own two feet and face the universe. We would also have to come to grips with the thought that ALL good and ALL evil springs from within ourselves. And perhaps, just perhaps, there would be a little less divisiveness amongst the nations of man.

Could be, but doubtful. Those who are causing the wars and other wickedness clearly care not about answering to their God. They have no fear whatsover about causing havoc and carnage nor even about the petty gossip and unkindness done day by day. People act as though there is no God anyway.

No God, no reincarnation. I would be lost, because I am counting on God to keep record of the unfairness and inexplicable wrong, and to set it right for the sufferers. I trust that God will see the numerous small kindnesses done by so many people, the sacrifice and unselfishness, the glorious acts of courage, the fulfilling of talent in art and wherever it appears, the uncomplaining daily strugglers who still allow for kindness and laughter, the hard voluntary work to try and keep the planet clean and its people healthy and cared for.

I am grateful for the gift of faith where I can day or night lean on God. It would be terrible for me if God never revealed Himself and I was left to witness unfairness that would never be set right.

Let's see:

Around 55 percent of humans on earth do not believe in the Christian God. The Christians on earth have mostly became less enthused and more open about Christian anyway - my family (well, my mother) are Christians and we don't say Grace like people did 50 years ago, we don't go to Church anymore, and God or religion isn't a part of daily lives - but, at least in some members of my family, the belief is still there. So, my best guess is, by some weird revelation, God was full disproved, with most modern families, there would be an "Oh...Dammit. My life's been around a fake.", but there would probably not be an uproar in Western countries (Eastern/Middle Eastern countries would be more likely to experience these uproars as there society and laws are directly based from their gods).

Edited by Goatness

Of course, we invented good and bad for the things we like and dislike, and what's good and bad changes with the zeitgeist.

It would be terrible. For a start I would be dead, at least four times over, if god did not exist.

What's so bad about being dead? It's exactly the same as being unborn, which you were for billions of years.

If there was, in fact, no god, then humanity would be forced to stand on its own two feet and face the universe. We would also have to come to grips with the thought that ALL good and ALL evil springs from within ourselves.

And perhaps, just perhaps, there would be a little less divisiveness amongst the nations of man.

There would still be order, we are social animals, like all the great apes. Infact, societies which are sure their God is on their side are usually far more violent than those that dont.

admitting we a void of a Deity is simply our next step in human evolution.

until then we will continue to chase our tails into the void of extinction.

I disagree, I think we should still ponder the existance of God, but we should no longer assume we are right about something completely unknowable. I fear we'll never be free of superstition, but if people can adapt to keep their faiths to themselves and respect others, we'll be able to move forward as a species.

Could be, but doubtful. Those who are causing the wars and other wickedness clearly care not about answering to their God. They have no fear whatsover about causing havoc and carnage nor even about the petty gossip and unkindness done day by day. People act as though there is no God anyway.

No God, no reincarnation. I would be lost, because I am counting on God to keep record of the unfairness and inexplicable wrong, and to set it right for the sufferers. I trust that God will see the numerous small kindnesses done by so many people, the sacrifice and unselfishness, the glorious acts of courage, the fulfilling of talent in art and wherever it appears, the uncomplaining daily strugglers who still allow for kindness and laughter, the hard voluntary work to try and keep the planet clean and its people healthy and cared for.

I am grateful for the gift of faith where I can day or night lean on God. It would be terrible for me if God never revealed Himself and I was left to witness unfairness that would never be set right.

Actually people that act like God is on their side, like the USA, are causing the most wars. They seem to think that "Thou Shalt Not Kill" doesn't apply to them, because God wants them to start these wars. Wouldn't a truly omnibenevolent God love everyone, including muslim radicals, you know "Love thy Enemy" style?

I think that people who do good just to be rewarded by god are not very genuine. You have to realize though, that if your God is the real one, there are plenty of good people who wont be going to heaven because they didn't believe the right religion. Gandhi, Malcolm X and Bill Gates weren't christians, they'll be going to hell no matter how much good they did. You have to face the fact that no matter what sects you choose, there are good people going to hell because they dont buy into it.

'Cradle of Fish' date='Oct 29 2007, 01:00 AM' post='1956884'] I think we should still ponder the existance of God, but we should no longer assume we are right about something completely unknowable. I fear we'll never be free of superstition, but if people can adapt to keep their faiths to themselves and respect others, we'll be able to move forward as a species.

Absolutely.

Actually people that act like God is on their side, like the USA, are causing the most wars. They seem to think that "Thou Shalt Not Kill" doesn't apply to them, because God wants them to start these wars. Wouldn't a truly omnibenevolent God love everyone, including muslim radicals, you know "Love thy Enemy" style?

Dunno about the USA - I do not believe the American people as a whole want a war at all, anywhere. It is their government (and yes, if they choose not to vote for the most part they share the blame of who their government is, vote rigging aside) who have a strange agenda, backed or agitated by Big Business who have their own. It is inexplicable to me how a mother can rejoice that her son or daughter has died killing others for reasons of Religion.

I believe that God loves all His creation, terrorists, rapists, murderers, pet and wild animals and all. "Love your enemy" is enjoined on Christians, hard as that radical love injunction often is.

I think that people who do good just to be rewarded by god are not very genuine. You have to realize though, that if your God is the real one, there are plenty of good people who wont be going to heaven because they didn't believe the right religion. Gandhi, Malcolm X and Bill Gates weren't christians, they'll be going to hell no matter how much good they did. You have to face the fact that no matter what sects you choose, there are good people going to hell because they dont buy into it.

I believe God is way above sending anyone to hell or anywhere else because of their cult: Hasidic Jews, fundamentalist Christians, extremist Muslims or Jehovah's Witnesses or whoever thinks he has the sole path to God are far fewer in the world than we think exist; although they do cause the most noise and trouble. That He knows who did what and why it was done. Good people will make it and bad people will, here's hoping, will eventually make it, tho it take a much longer time; and who are we to judge anything when put on a scale of eternity? The Hindu story of Narasimhan gives a prime example of why humans cannot judge anything on good and evil.

Doubtful that people do good for reward by God - maybe those who are not 'genuine' do it to be admired by those around them. There are those, of course, who consciously do tremendous sacrifice and work because they have an understanding beyond most of us how that is helpful for all of mankind, and wish to please God (not man). I have a difficulty with doing anything selfless, because I believe that even in doing something that looks unselfish, where nothing can be personally gained or ever noticed, I will yet earn a huge reward from God somehow or another. Faith.

Life without a god is excellent.

I have been living with out a god for all of my adult life and I find it quit wonderful and exhilarating, much better than living under the specter of religious suffering, disparity, fear and intimidation. And contrary to what some on this site think I have not reverted to rape, murder, thievery, or other socially unacceptable activities.

Life without a god is excellent.

I have been living with out a god for all of my adult life and I find it quit wonderful and exhilarating, much better than living under the specter of religious suffering, disparity, fear and intimidation. And contrary to what some on this site think I have not reverted to rape, murder, thievery, or other socially unacceptable activities.

Yup life with out god sure is great :D

Yup life with out god sure is great :D

It is a pity that the thread is only supposition and not based on any factual understanding of whether Gods exists or not. Yet if he actually does exist, then your user becomes extremely relevant!!! Smile now, Cry later... ;)

If nothing else, if there is no god, the idjits of the WBC and their ilk would have to change their obnoxious signs from "God Hates....."

to "I hate...."

'JMPD1' date='Oct 28 2007, 06:09 PM' post='1956436']

Ok but what instead of hoping and praying for an almighty score keeper why don't we take matters into our own hands? Instead of witnessing suffering, unfairness and wrongs we stand up, say we aren't going to take it anymore and DO something about it? Instead of coming together in some holy place to hope and wish for the best we band together as a whole, arm ourselves if needed and do something about it all? Instead of seeing bad people in the world and just telling them the boogeyman is going to get them we find bad people in the world and rid ourselves of the problems they cause?

Instead of leaning on a god for support, we realize we can only depend on ourselves if there is ever going to be something done about a problem? Stop wishing or hoping and actually DO.

Me, I like action, not reaction and sure as hell not wishful thinking...

Kevin A.

Ok but what instead of hoping and praying for an almighty score keeper why don't we take matters into our own hands? Instead of witnessing suffering, unfairness and wrongs we stand up, say we aren't going to take it anymore and DO something about it? Instead of coming together in some holy place to hope and wish for the best we band together as a whole, arm ourselves if needed and do something about it all? Instead of seeing bad people in the world and just telling them the boogeyman is going to get them we find bad people in the world and rid ourselves of the problems they cause?

Instead of leaning on a god for support, we realize we can only depend on ourselves if there is ever going to be something done about a problem? Stop wishing or hoping and actually DO.

Kevin A.

Heck, I believe there is a God and I do that anyway. All of Gods men (and women) as far as we can read, were of that type of person.

And this is what leaves me cold on religion in general: people see god as some kind of referee who will make everything all better. Instead of man correcting the wrongs of the world, lets let god sort it all out later. No offense meant to the poster, or any other beleiver, but some religions seem to glorify one's wretchedness. It seems, to me, that the worse off you are, the better your "reward" will be in heaven.

I am glad though that you can lean on your god. If that is what gives you comfort when you feel overwhelmed, then it is good.

As for me, I will continue to stand on my own two feet, and try to correct the wrongs and injustices I see around me. Not for any heavenly reward; not for glory or fame, but because it is the right thing to do.

Kelvin A. : … Instead of coming together in some holy place to hope and wish for the best we band together as a whole, arm ourselves if needed and do something about it all? Instead of seeing bad people in the world and just telling them the boogeyman is going to get them we find bad people in the world and rid ourselves of the problems they cause? Instead of leaning on a god for support, we realize we can only depend on ourselves if there is ever going to be something done about a problem? Stop wishing or hoping and actually DO.

JMPD1: …people see god as some kind of referee who will make everything all better. Instead of man correcting the wrongs of the world, lets let god sort it all out later. … but some religions seem to glorify one's wretchedness. It seems, to me, that the worse off you are, the better your "reward" will be in heaven. … As for me, I will continue to stand on my own two feet, and try to correct the wrongs and injustices I see around me. Not for any heavenly reward; not for glory or fame, but because it is the right thing to do.

Cannot speak for anyone but my eclectic-beliefs self. I am pretty old now, a cradle Catholic who lives in a multi-religious region. For decades I leaned towards Buddhism and Hinduism because the concept of Hell created by an all-loving God was not acceptable. Witnessed parents in their 70s watch their children die of cancer or die in accidents lamenting how they had lived full lives and demand why their children and grandchildren had to ‘be taken’ instead. Know all about how Christianity and Islam, in particular, have been the banner under which so much slaughter, greed and politics has happened. It was the life of Padre Pio that entirely changed my perception and I still find Hell to be extremely hard to swollow. Not to speak of not quite understanding how voluntary sacrifice and suffering are so necessary, not to gain a higher reward in heaven, but to expiate the sins of the world.

Kelvin, I get the feeling that you have a rather vigilante idea about how to scour the world of bad people. Dangerous. Your definition of ‘bad people’ may not sync with what their family’s is. And who are you to judge? This easily can lead to lynching of a suspected paedophile, suspected terrorist, suspected any-evil-doer by your personal definition. And what if you make a mistake? True our leaky justice systems let loose almost-certain murderers for lack of evidence; our media wishes to be Fair so terrorists get airtime with their bloody executions and raving. Making a stand is Good and takes immense courage, vide the Burmese people, the Iranian Christians, the victims of big business.

KMPD1: I totally agree that Man MUST act all the time to correct wrongs, and work hard at it, everything from injustice to pollution and re-planting trees. My reliance on God to keep count is because I personally cannot stand what I perceive as unfairness and injustice; nor that generosity, unselfishness and kindness goes unnoticed. And where did you learn about doing the right thing from? I would bet that it was originally a God-based philosophy.

Unless you accept it is an unjust world and that’s it, it makes good sense to me that we keep being reborn till we get it; that an account is being kept of all good and bad done by everyone; that we work hard to right things; that we help each other and help ourselves; that we spend world money on medical research and such, not on weapons; that we learn to accept without giving offence that others may sincerely believe what we find ludicrous; etc etc. And agnostics or atheists are just as likely to be fabulous people and do good things while some church and mosque goers are wicked.

I happen also to believe that wonderful promise: ‘Ask and you shall receive’ and seen it work in crazily wonderful ways [not the lottery, unfortunately]. And ‘Where two or more of you are gathered in my name, there I shall be with you’ seems to have raised energy levels; even where 80 disparate people around the world pray for someone not known to them with certain vision loss of 60-70% have that vision loss end as 6-7%. Where my energy levels are lowest, where I had been in extremis from troubles over money or anything else, prayer has worked for me. And it has given me additional comfort to believe that there is a next life in which loved ones will greet me.

And this is what leaves me cold on religion in general: people see god as some kind of referee who will make everything all better. Instead of man correcting the wrongs of the world, lets let god sort it all out later. No offense meant to the poster, or any other beleiver, but some religions seem to glorify one's wretchedness. It seems, to me, that the worse off you are, the better your "reward" will be in heaven.

I am glad though that you can lean on your god. If that is what gives you comfort when you feel overwhelmed, then it is good.

As for me, I will continue to stand on my own two feet, and try to correct the wrongs and injustices I see around me. Not for any heavenly reward; not for glory or fame, but because it is the right thing to do.

As Granny Weatherwax says 'You cant help people with prayer, you can help them with skin.'

A world without God is a world without fear.

Kevin A.

Kelvin A. : … Instead of coming together in some holy place to hope and wish for the best we band together as a whole, arm ourselves if needed and do something about it all? Instead of seeing bad people in the world and just telling them the boogeyman is going to get them we find bad people in the world and rid ourselves of the problems they cause? Instead of leaning on a god for support, we realize we can only depend on ourselves if there is ever going to be something done about a problem? Stop wishing or hoping and actually DO.

Care to give us your definition of bad people? Just curious because according to my definition you would have a lot of killing to do, in my estimation at least half the world’s population (do you have the stomach for this). It would be interesting to see you pull that off. BTW can you look to see if I am on your bad people list?

I believe pres Bush tried a variation of your idea, and we can see that it isn’t working out to well. Take out one bad guy (Sadam) and thousands of other bad guys rush in to fill the vacuum. Anyway keep us posted on your progress, and please excuse me if I don’t wish you luck.