Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Internet censorship in Italy

ships-cat

It appears that a senior Italian MP, Ricardo Franco Levi, has introduced a proposed law for monitoring and registering blogs and websites in Italy. The proposal has been unanimously passed by the Council of Ministers without dissent, and will soon be put before parliament.

In essence, any blog or website owner must register with a government department, pay a tax, and give proof of a "named" director of the site with editorial liability. Website owners and bloggers will have to pay the tax, even if there is no commercial activity on the site.

I originaly picked this story up yesterday evening on the BBC website, but it seems to have dissapeared: a curious event in its own right.

Here is a link

Meow Purr.

Edited by Tiggs
Corrected Typo in title

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ships-cat

• Tiggs

• Unlimited

• Bill Hill

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like they are looking to tax everbody and monitor them...I googled italian internet, from china and the search results said no access....ah freedom...the internet will be 100% controlled within 10 years...bush tried to get the same google deal as china but they said no...

It is worrying, they... EU- and Governments of the world, would love to control the net.

I think unlimited is right... expect some dodgy maneuvering in the next few years..

bush tried to get the same google deal as china but they said no...

If that's true, then that's extremely worrying. Any sources confirming that?

The Italian proposal is just a proposal at the moment. Hopefully, the Italian Parliment will kick it firmly into touch.

I can see the thinking behind it though - in cases of libel, etc, they want to be able to find out whoever's responsible so they can be prosecuted. Law and anononimity just aren't compatible.

It is worrying for sure.

The Authorities are either desperately trying to control things like paedophile sites and the like so by censoring the internet it will do that or they are so bloody paranoid that they want to stop it all, good sites and bad!

Free speech will become a thing of the past soon if this starts happening, and then they will invent an implant to record our thoughts.

George Orwell was right........

Italian politics have a reputation of being corrupt to the boot. I wouldn't really wonder if they passed this, even if just for the increased tax revenues. Would it be worrying if they did? Yes indeed. I think it's worrying they're even considering this :o

The bizzarre thing is, it would only serve to hurt Italien Internet Hosting Companies. Presumably, if I was an Italien citizen, then there would be nothing to stop me hosting a blog , website or whatever with a hosting company in the USA, Canada, UK or whatever. There is nothing the Italian government could do about this.

The only drawback I can see is that such websites might not appear in Google for Italian searches.

I wonder if it's possible that Mr. Levi is simply gob-smackingly ignorant (along with the rest of the Council) as to how websites (and blogs) actually WORK ?

Meow Purr.