Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists find oldest living animal, then kill it

UM-Bot

user posted image rBritish marine biologists have found what may be the oldest living animal — that is, until they killed it. The team from Bangor University in Wales was dredging the waters north of Iceland as part of routine research when the unfortunate specimen, belonging to the clam species Arctica islandica, commonly known as the ocean quahog, was hauled up from waters 250 feet deep.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Fox News

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Picturesque Orion

• Cradle of Fish

• Denzanrom

• The Skeptic Eric Raven

Seriously how do this people dare to kill an animal with so many years?!?!?!?!?! I mean who do this people think they are? For the sake of science?!?!?! This is NOT was science is about!!!! :angry:

They call themselves sciencetists but they cannot even keep an animal alive... my goodness no wonder people say the world is doomed....

Edited by Alex01

Seriously how do this people dare to kill an animal with so many years?!?!?!?!?! I mean who do this people think they are? For the sake of science?!?!?! This is NOT was science is about!!!! :angry:

They call themselves sciencetists but they cannot even keep an animal alive... my goodness no wonder people say the world is doomed....

Uh...what? Where'd your outburst come from?

Okay from what I understand, they were fishing for clams to research. Apparently that research entails dissecting them like frogs. And this one happend to be a very special clam.

Now excuse me my warped mind while I say how unfair it is that they can kill other clams because they were young yet feel remorse for killing one so old.

I think what Alex01 ment is that no animal should be killed for the "good" of science, and in this case it is even more wrong.

Anyway, if we talk about animal outrage, we should better focus on all those poor animals that died for research and science experiments...

I think what Alex01 ment is that no animal should be killed for the "good" of science, and in this case it is even more wrong.

Anyway, if we talk about animal outrage, we should better focus on all those poor animals that died for research and science experiments...

Ah, I get it now. It just felt weird because they're talking about clams. And how often are people enraged about clams?

The trouble is that it depends on which animal sometimes. Rats are practically bred for science labs and frogs are caught. Since the purpose most of the time is to check certain chemical reactions to humans you could say it would be more correct to use it on a human.

Guys.... this was a CLAM. It was an old clam - nothing other than that. It's sad, but in the end, it's just an old clam.... Calm down.

Guys.... this was a CLAM. It was an old clam - nothing other than that. It's sad, but in the end, it's just an old clam.... Calm down.

Does it matter how small or large it may be to find sadness or outrage in an unnatural death? Indeed, it was just a clam. But I can see the reason for being upset. Life is a precious gift, no matter how insignificant we may find it to be for certain creatures. Granted, I highly doubt there are many people who think like this.

Who cares we're gonna kill off most of everything anyway ..

Just enjoy the ride.

No one would have known how old this clam was unless it was diesected. Sad but not to sad, think of it as euthanasia. it was old and probably on it's last legs, or tongue or wisker ehhh well at least we know how old they can get befor becoming clam chowder, ewwww 400 year old clam in your bowl

Humans killing yet another discovery of animals. Wouldn't be surprised xD

But how would they know if it was that old until they killed it? It's half good and half bad I suppose.

Edited by Hoshii

WWED

linked-image

It was probably actually humane. Afterall, it would be far more susceptible to certain painful diseases. But still how cruel! I mean, if you were in that clam's position, would you want to be killed off just for the sake to find out your age?!

Edited by (Moonlight)

Does it matter how small or large it may be to find sadness or outrage in an unnatural death? Indeed, it was just a clam. But I can see the reason for being upset. Life is a precious gift, no matter how insignificant we may find it to be for certain creatures. Granted, I highly doubt there are many people who think like this.

Had the clam lived though, would they have let it go? A 400-year old clam. Given how much people eat clams, nobody really expects them to be that old like turtles. I can see that clam being put in a museum. Or somewhere yet being researched on. Fat chance of them actually returning the clam whence it came from.

And what about the rest of the ones who were drawn up and killed simply because they weren't as old. Stupid if you ask me. The young ones bite the dust and the older ones get to live on just so people can see, quite literally, the oldest clam ever.

...days like this I can't believe I'm sympathizing with CLAMS of all things...

Yes, it's because they found out about this clam before you did. Now that you know, I guess it's time to walk around the streets with a cardboard sign duct taped on yourself warning others whom are less informed. :tu:

The end is near!!! *waves hands around for scary effect*

Aside from the horrible fact that scientists would dare kill a clam :lol: ... It's kind of crazy when you think about the fact that this clam was alive in the early 1600's. Think about how much the world has changed in the last 400 years. It's not as though the clam could observe the changes, or even think for that matter, but it's still an interesting prospect.

The scientists didn't know of the clams age whilst it was still alive, they cut it open to count its age rings, which probabally resulted in its death.

Edited by punish3ment

What about clam chowder? We eat clams. We eat living things. Thats life.

I totally agree :) All life is precious . & I'd like to see the people that claim they 'only' killed a clam to live for more than 400 years ! :) & it's not the first time I've heard of something like this happening with so called 'scientists' . Finding some very rare or old species & ending up killing it , when they capture it & keep it in captivity :rolleyes:

Actually, yes it does matter how small or large an animal is. I doubt you feel remorse for the lives you kill in order to eat. Do you feel remorse for the hundred year old trees that probably went into that paper you wrote on today? How about the 1 day old ant you stepped on as you walked down the street?

The fact is, killing just to kill is wrong, of course. But these things died in the hopes that they may teach us something. As a matter of fact, it already taught me something - I didn't know clams lived that long before today. So the death of this guy has already allowed me to learn something new about the world around me, that I wouldn't have know if it had lived.

I mean, if you were in that clam's position, would you want to be killed off just for the sake to find out your age?!

If I was a clam I wouldn't have the brain power to care...

Edited by Raptor X7

Uh...what? Where'd your outburst come from?

Okay from what I understand, they were fishing for clams to research. Apparently that research entails dissecting them like frogs. And this one happend to be a very special clam.

Now excuse me my warped mind while I say how unfair it is that they can kill other clams because they were young yet feel remorse for killing one so old.

No comment....

Ok ok ok..... I lost my temper a bit.......... Actually I think a more elaborate way should be elaborated to study animals so that they are not killed ( and that includes all animals). But my word isn't going to change anything....

Anyways animals killed for science is a minimal compared to other actions wich are not beneficial to animal life on Earth in any way.

Still it's a shame the clam died..... but thankfully it was clearly a mistake, if the scientists would have known it's age before I'm sure they would have not killed it.

Yes, it's because they found out about this clam before you did. Now that you know, I guess it's time to walk around the streets with a cardboard sign duct taped on yourself warning others whom are less informed. thumbsup.gif

The end is near!!! *waves hands around for scary effect*

*Cough* Weird...

.....No comment.....

Edited by Alex01