Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nativity proposal defeated

Lt_Ripley

Why can't yu create new holiday's?

In Alberta We have:

New year's Day, Victoria Day, Easter, Canada Day, Civic Holiday, Labour Day, Thanksgiving, Rememberance Day, Christmas Day, Boxing Day

Only 2 of those listed are religious holidays, so I'm curious why you can't add holiday's?

You missed one, we also have a paid holiday called Family day :tu: Ya I don't get it either just create a new holiday it's really not that hard.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AROCES

• Lt_Ripley

• Shaftsbury

• Stixxman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the aclu had their way..they would remove manger scenes from under your tree...

seperation of church and state when applied to this is ridiculaous. This is not the meaning of the clause people. It was a rule to prevent church dominating schools or the legislative government from imporperly influencing decisions. If a couple porcelain dudes in flowing robes kneeling by a baby is considered undo influence then thats a problem with politicians and people not the nativity scene. I consider it a nice thing to see decorations and lights and people in a good mood because they are enjoying the season. The people who would 'crusade' for this particular thing in my opinion are probably the types that need a little direction themselves so they can stop dragging poeple down with their activist armchair morality squads. Get a life, the ACLU is running out of dead horses to whip.

Edited by Stixxman

You missed one, we also have a paid holiday called Family day :tu: Ya I don't get it either just create a new holiday it's really not that hard.

D'oh don't tell my wife she will kill me ! :blush:

Why can't yu create new holiday's?

In Alberta We have:

New year's Day, Victoria Day, Easter, Canada Day, Civic Holiday, Labour Day, Thanksgiving, Rememberance Day, Christmas Day, Boxing Day

Only 2 of those listed are religious holidays, so I'm curious why you can't add holiday's?

If you want a paid day off without any significance to it and just creat whatever so we can have paid day off, then call it walking the dog day, cleaning the back yard day, siesta day, movie day or even fart day. And have the Tax payers shoulder all the cost, see how easy it is?

where does the word holiday come from anyway? should they all become festivals?

Means Holy day,

Edited by AROCES

If you want a paid day off without any significance to it and just creat whatever so we can have paid day off, then call it walking the dog day, cleaning the back yard day, siesta day, movie day or even fart day. And have the Tax payers shoulder all the cost, see how easy it is?

Means Holy day,

Let's check my list again

New Year's Day - celebrating the start of a new year

Family Day (not a federal holiday) - celebrating the importance of the family group

Victoria Day - celebrating the birth of Queen Victoria/acknowledging the monarchy

Canada Day - celebrating Canada's Confederation

Civic Holiday (not a federal holiday) - Now used to celebrate our cultural heritages

Labour Day - celebrating those of us poor working fools

Thanks Giving - celebrating the fall harvest and the close of the summer season

I don't care where the word "Holiday" came from, if you think the only legitimate way to have a holiday is to make it a celebration of some religious event, then you need to get your head out of the past and back into the 21st century with the rest of us.

well it seems if it's a "holy day" it'd Have to have some religious significance. Words are supposed to mean things. I've no problem with festivals, just feel bad asking non-religious if they're off for the Holy Days. Almost feel like am making a backhanded insult an I don't wanna do that. Ppl get snippy and talk about heads stuck in places.

Let's check my list again

Family Day (not a federal holiday) - celebrating the importance of the family group

Victoria Day - celebrating the birth of Queen Victoria/acknowledging the monarchy

Civic Holiday (not a federal holiday) - Now used to celebrate our cultural heritages

I don't care where the word "Holiday" came from, if you think the only legitimate way to have a holiday is to make it a celebration of some religious event, then you need to get your head out of the past and back into the 21st century with the rest of us.

I think we all know what those holidays are, and the point is there should be no religious paid holiday by the govt. And Christmas day is one. Can't just give them a day off and call it different, when we all know it is to celebrate Christmas.

You mean the rest of you, who just wants more and more PAID work day without working at all. That for you is the 21st century.

Church stuff on church lawns. And why would believers need to see it elsewhere to confirm their beliefs or make them feel important or somethig?

Government shouldn't have church stuff. They can have snowmen and snowflakes and plastic deer with holly wreaths around their necks.

And a sign that says "If you don't like it, keep it to yourself. We're not hurting anyone."

well it seems if it's a "holy day" it'd Have to have some religious significance. Words are supposed to mean things. I've no problem with festivals, just feel bad asking non-religious if they're off for the Holy Days. Almost feel like am making a backhanded insult an I don't wanna do that. Ppl get snippy and talk about heads stuck in places.

Christmas should be just like St. Patricks day, no Federal or govt recognition. Only private companies can give a paid day off. And school should get rid of the 2 weeks christmas vacation, that is recognizing a religious event.

lol no wreaths, that's religious

thing gets me is seems it's Taxpayer Money that's putting the scene on at the Church. Means the Church got the "state" to pay for it's decorations.

Unless am totally wrong on that, there's different implications to the headlines "Church gets state to pay for decorations on church property" and "Nativity proposal defeated"

to me one headline says one side "won" and the other implies the opposite.

If it's not the case the church got the money from the public funds then I'm just all bassackwards and deserve a "shut up Cel"

I think we all know what those holidays are, and the point is there should be no religious paid holiday by the govt. And Christmas day is one. Can't just give them a day off and call it different, when we all know it is to celebrate Christmas.

You mean the rest of you, who just wants more and more PAID work day without working at all. That for you is the 21st century.

Do you actually know what the origin of "Christmas" is? I'll give you a hint, JC wasn't born on Dec 25th.

Hey I work to live not live to work, If somebody wants to give me another paid holiday I don't care if it's to celebrate moldy bread. :tu:

Means Holy day,

I agree and we do have days off that are not called "Holy days". I'll remember next summer when I take holidays opps vacation to use the proper terminology. As Shaftsbury stated.

So calling a day of national walk the dog day, sure why not.

sure !!

I enjoy X-Mas !! although I'm saddened they started playing the music wholly on one station here straight after Halloween ! it used to be the day after Thanksgiving. By the time christmas actually gets here I'll be sick of Anne Murry singing Silver Bells ( and I like her).

'Christ'mas is fine. It's in the home and in church. It's the holiday where people are actually nicer to each other . Too bad they can't act that way year round. Well they are nicer in most places - I wouldn't bet on Toys-R-Us however. Mad house.

I just think our government needs to keep it's distance from all religions and their influence on law.

I'm just checking available flights.

My favourite carol song is the one sung by Neil Sedaka? Fairy tale of New York takes some beating.

Do you actually know what the origin of "Christmas" is? I'll give you a hint, JC wasn't born on Dec 25th.

Hey I work to live not live to work, If somebody wants to give me another paid holiday I don't care if it's to celebrate moldy bread. :tu:

Doesn't matter, Christmas is the birth of Christ celebration. Does't have to be the exact day.

Doesn't matter, Christmas is the birth of Christ celebration. Does't have to be the exact day.

The December celebrations have only been observing "Christmas" since the 4th century CE, but before that many different cultures used that time of year to celebrate.

So from my point of view, "Christmas" is not just a Christian holiday it belongs to many different cultures.

If you want to take the "Christ" out of Christmas and remove all the religious symbols it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all ( actually I would prefer it ). But to say that the holiday season is only about Christianity, or that without Christianity it would not be a legitimate holiday, would be just another example of religious arrogance.

The December celebrations have only been observing "Christmas" since the 4th century CE, but before that many different cultures used that time of year to celebrate.

So from my point of view, "Christmas" is not just a Christian holiday it belongs to many different cultures.

If you want to take the "Christ" out of Christmas and remove all the religious symbols it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all ( actually I would prefer it ). But to say that the holiday season is only about Christianity, or that without Christianity it would not be a legitimate holiday, would be just another example of religious arrogance.

Yule and Beltane were celebrated long before 'Christ' Mass. So, I totally agree with you Shaftsbury. I envelope the pagan aspect of that time of year, the time of giving and celebrating.

You know, Christmas is all about the Christian celebration of Jesus's birth. Yule, Beltane, the Solstice, whatever you want to call it, is about whatever they are about (sorry, not horribly up on my pagan holidays). "Only since the 4th century?" Oh yes, only 1600 years makes it the theif in the night.

Who cares who started it? It's both things now and has been for a long time. Or, more correctly, it is two seperate things that fall at the same time of year. Why? Who cares? Who got there first only works in patents and copyrights. If people would just get that and let everyone celebrate their own thing however they want, things would go a lot smoother. How does some people enjoying plastic babies in mangers and light-up donkeys affect someone else's celebration of Yule (or whatever) or their celebration of nothing?

I totally agree that the govt. shouldn't pay for any of it. But people getting all worked up about who started what and who has to look at which decoration is just childish.

no wreaths, that's religious

They are? Is it like the whole crown of thorns thing or something? Holly is kinda thorny. Hmm... Okay... plastic deer with little knit scarves then. :)

Oh lord, you are like a talking doll and someone keeps pulling your string. :lol:

Oh lord, you are like a talking doll and someone keeps pulling your string. :lol:

he sounds like a communist..america was founded on christian beliefs...sorry if you dont like that ..comrade

Typical, put a different meaning to it to make your argument. Like oral sex is not sex.

And I guess you like talking to a talking doll then, huh?

how about we also make Christmas what is was - take out the tree , no gifts , no santa or elves , nothing except the mass and the dinner with prayer to follow. the rest was pagan right ? so really it's pagan rituals being celebrated since more than likely Jesus was born in the spring/summer.

:yes: exactly.

hol·i·day /ˈhɒlɪˌdeɪ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hol-i-dey] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. a day fixed by law or custom on which ordinary business is suspended in commemoration of some event or in honor of some person.

2. any day of exemption from work (distinguished from working day).

3. a time or period of exemption from any requirement, duty, assessment, etc.: New businesses may be granted a one-year tax holiday.

4. a religious feast day; holy day, esp. any of several usually commemorative holy days observed in Judaism.

5. Sometimes, holidays. Chiefly British. a period of cessation from work or one of recreation; vacation.

6. an unintentional gap left on a plated, coated, or painted surface.

–adjective 7. of or pertaining to a festival; festive; joyous: a holiday mood.

8. suitable for a holiday: holiday attire.

–verb (used without object) 9. Chiefly British. to vacation: to holiday at the seaside.

how about we also make Christmas what is was - take out the tree , no gifts , no santa or elves , nothing except the mass and the dinner with prayer to follow. the rest was pagan right ? so really it's pagan rituals being celebrated since more than likely Jesus was born in the spring/summer.

Hmmm, trying to make your case so you can have your paid Religeous holiday, huh? :rolleyes:

Edited by AROCES

Hmmm, trying to make your case so you can have your paid Religeous holiday, huh? :rolleyes:

just giving you the facts is all. if christians had never missioned Pagans by adopting thier culture there would be no christmas as you know it. So if you enjoy x-mas thank a pagan.