Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bigfoot Diet

Saru

Assuming that Bigfoot does exist, what sort of things would such a creature eat ? Would it be a herbivore, or would it hunt down animals to feed on ? One witness of the creature claimed he'd seen several bigfeet scrounging in a quarry for small rodents. Does this confirm that Bigfoot is actually a carniverous ape ?

This talk about a 'carniverous ape' causes me to ask if all apes(or monkeys) are only plant eaters?  I remember watching a documentary once, they showed chimps attacking an animal and eating it!  I couldn't believe it, but they are supposed to be related to us, right? ???

They also showed them getting DRUNK! on some over-ripened fruit!!:P

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I heard there was a vidoe of a bigfoot eating a wild cat. I don't remeber if it was fake or not? mellow.gif

For what it's worth, Bigfoot has been seen carying deer, goats, pigs, and a dog. We might assume these were for food I suppose..

Bigfoot has also been seen catching and consuming fish, as well as digging for and eating the groundhogs SaRuMaN was mentioning above.

Bigfoot doesn't have to be carnivorous, though. Omnivors will eat flesh when they can get it.

I just read that there has never been a temperate-climate ape besides man for precisely the reason that most apes eat vegitables, and in the temperate forests these disappear for several months a year. Chimps don't *have* to eat flesh, yet they do. But to survive, Bigfoot would have to eat some meat.

• Like 1

i hope bigfoot don't eat humans. maybe that is why we dont have proof of their existance ph34r.gif

• Like 1

Sounds like a weak theory schadeux. Sharks eat humans but we know they exist.

If bigfoot was an offshoot of Gigantopithecus, he probably eats mostly plants with the occasional bit of meat - most likely carrion and insects.

No primate is completly carnivorious, but some are completly herbivorus. I cannot stand by those words being spelled completly correctly, but I hope you get the idea.

I heard there was a vidoe of a bigfoot eating a wild cat.

I've seen that video and it's nothing more than a man in a rather poor ape costume running around a field after somebodies pet cat.

I think it was meant as a joke, it wasn't even seen as genuine footage.

maybe, they are like us......whats that word, ....the one for carnivorous and herbivore......omniverous??

Here's the site that originated the 'bigfoot vs. wildcat' story. Has still pictures as well as the video, it's a hoot. laugh.gif

CLICK HERE

someone should prosecute that b****** for animal cruelty, considering this is the fakest crap ive ever seen. did you see him jumping on that little cat? poor thing.

Thats the one i was talking about! Thanx Magik Man! cool.gif

• 11 years later...

Where is the video taken in the 80s of a supposed Sasquatch stealing and raiding purple gabbage from a farm in Michigan?

I would think that any creature as large a Bigfoot is supposed to be would pretty much have to be able to take advantage of whatever comes along making it an Omnivore. Plants, small animals, not so small animals like deer, dead things it might encounter, I've read reports of Bigfoot scavenging for freshwater mussels, fish, whatever really, which in my mind would make sense. In the fall there are nuts, in the spring berries of various types, deer are plentiful in most of the country.....in fact they've gotten to be a nuisance in some parts of the country. Often wondered if they might hibernate to a certain degree when the weather is bad in the winter.

I've heard them be referred to almost as situational omnivores, they prefer a herbivore diet but can be situational carnivores.

• Like 1

Change " Black bear " to " Bigfoot ".....

This is the diet of the Black Bears that are in the Pacific North West, and other areas that " Bigfoot " stories are told.

Generally, American black bears are largely crepuscular in foraging active, though may actively feed at any time.[60] Up to 85% of the black bear's diet consists of vegetation,[38] though they tend to dig less than brown bears, eating far fewer roots, bulbs, corms and tubers than the latter species.[57] When initially emerging from hibernation, they will seek to feed on carrion from winter-killed animals and newborn ungulates. As the spring temperature warms, black bears seek new shoots of many plant species, especially new grasses, wetland plants and forbs.[68] Young shoots and buds from trees and shrubs during the spring period are also especially important to black bears emerging from hibernation, as they assist in rebuilding muscle and strengthening the skeleton and are often the only digestible foods available at that time.[69] During summer, the diet is comprised largely by fruits, especially berries and soft masts such as buds and drupes. During the autumn hyperphagia, feeding becomes pretty much the full-time task of black bears. Hard masts become the most important part of the black bear's diet in autumn and may even partially dictate the species distribution. Favored masts such as hazlenuts, oak acorns and whitebark pine nuts may be consumed by the hundreds each day by a single black bear during fall.[5][35] During the fall period, American black bears may also habitually raid the nut caches of tree squirrels.[68] Also extremely important in fall are berries such as huckleberries and buffalo berries.[5] Black bears living in areas near human settlements or around a considerable influx of recreational human activity often come to rely on foods inadvertently provided by humans, especially during summertime. These include refuse, birdseed, agricultural products and honey from apiaries.[

The majority of the black bear's animal diet consists of insects such as bees, yellow jackets, ants and their larvae.[68] Black bears are also fond of honey, and will gnaw through trees if hives are too deeply set into the trunks for them to reach them with their paws. Once the hive is breached, black bears will scrape the honeycombs together with their paws and eat them, regardless of stings from the bees.[51] Black bears that live in northern coastal regions (especially the Pacific coast) will fish for salmon during the night, as their black fur is easily spotted by salmon in the daytime. However, the white furred black bears of the islands of western Canada have a 30% greater success rate in catching salmon than their black furred counterparts.[70] Other fish including suckers, trout and catfish are readily caught when possible.[71] Although black bears do not often engage in active predation of other large animals for much of the year, the species will also regularly prey on mule and white-tailed deer fawns in spring given the opportunity.[72][73][74] In addition they have been recorded similarly preying on elk calves in Idaho[75] and moose calves in Alaska.[76]

Black bear predation on adult deer is rare but has been recorded.[77][78][79] They may even hunt prey up to the size of adult female moose, which are considerably larger than themselves, by ambushing them.[80] There is at least one record of a male black bear killing two bull elk over the course of six days by chasing them into deep snow banks where their movement is impeded. In Labrador, black bears are exceptionally carnivorous, living largely off of caribou, usually sickly, young or dead specimens, and rodents such as voles. This is believed to be due to a paucity of edible plant life in this sub-Arctic region and a local lack of competing large carnivores (including other bear species).[58] Like brown bears, black bears try to use surprise to ambush their prey and target the sickly animals in herds. Once a deer fawn is captured, it is frequently torn apart alive while feeding.[73] If able to capture a mother deer in spring, the bear frequently begins feeding on the udder of lactating females, but generally prefer meat from the viscera. Black bears often drag their prey to cover, preferring to feed in seclusion. The skin of large prey is stripped back and turned inside out with the skeleton usually left largely intact. Unlike wolves and coyotes, black bears rarely scatter the remains of their kills. Vegetation around the carcass is usually matted down by black bears and their droppings are frequently found nearby. Black bears may attempt to cover remains of larger carcasses, though they do not do so with the same frequency as cougars and grizzly bears.[81] They will readily consume eggs and nestlings of various birds and can easily access many tree nests, even the huge nest of the bald eagle.[38] Black bears have been reported stealing deer and other animals from human hunters.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

Well considering that everywhere Bigfoot is sighted, bears coincidentally live in the same area. I would go with omnivorous, because also coincidentally, they are witnessed eating the same types of foods a Bear consumes. Talk about coincidence ehh, lel.

5ob71x.jpg
  • Like 3

They also show traits of an Amerivore- donuts, candy bars and pizza.

Yes Indeed and lots of starches, fiber, and protein. Imagine the diet of a 400lb coon. It's about "opportunity"(George W. Bush voice). If there's a Milky Way bar sitting on a log, it's a goner.

It's about "opportunity"(George W. Bush voice). If there's a Milky Way bar sitting on a log, it's a goner.

... and that's a documented FACT:

greenefootage.jpg

http://cryptomundo.c...-news/squeaky2/

• Like 1

i hope bigfoot don't eat humans. maybe that is why we dont have proof of their existance ph34r.gif

Certainly not!

That would be cannibalism :--)

• Like 1

Farley Mowat would probably say they eat mice.

I'm a fan of omnivorous bigfoot. I've also read a lot of stories about BF hunting deer, and even eating roadkill. I think that the image of a tall, athletic, muscular bigfoot would require meat eating, otherwise they'd have a huge gut like a gorilla and be a lot less nomadic, and more sedentary. We'd find fat lazy bigfoots sitting in orchards all around the US. Meat has to be a necessity for BF.

I do also believe that BF would eat a lot of similar things to bears, but black bears eat a lot of little animals, which I think BF wouldn't necessarily spend a lot of time finding and eating. An average black bear after all is usually between 150 and 300 pounds, whereas BF is suposedly 400 to 800 pounds. That big of an animal isn't going to get by on a handful of mice like a bear would.