Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

British 'spy' arrested selling to Russians

questionmark

British 'spy' arrested in Russian secrets plot

By Sean Rayment and Jasper Copping

Last Updated: 4:11am GMT 11/11/2007

A former British soldier has been arrested on suspicion of spying for the Russian intelligence services, it can be disclosed today.

Peter Hill, a former Territorial Army trooper in the Royal Armoured Corps, was detained under the Official Secrets Act, for allegedly attempting to sell classified military documents to the Russians.

He was arrested following a Metropolitan Police "sting" in which an undercover officer was understood to have posed as a Kremlin agent.

Hill, 23, described as an "opportunist", is understood to have been under surveillance for some time and was arrested in Leeds last Wednesday evening, within minutes of the alleged exchange taking place.

It is understood the alleged security breach was from a Government establishment and not from a commercial military supplier or manufacturer.

The documents he is alleged to have tried to leak concern sensitive military information.

The former trooper comes from Colne, in Lancashire but lives and works in Skipton, North Yorkshire, where a residential and business premises has been searched as part of the police operation. Hill, who is understood to have recently been working as a bailiff, was questioned at a police station in Leeds.

He was also arrested under the Explosive Substances Act after the discovery of suspicious material during the searches.

Full story, Source: The Telegraph

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ships-cat

• GreyWeather

• Unlimited

• Drexl Spivey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well well. And only last week the head of the Security Services made refference to increased spying activity by the Russians.

Meow Purr.

Heh-heh, it kind of makes one nostalgic for the good ole days when we were us and they were them and every body knew who the badguys were. Yeah, sometimes I really miss those Commies. AK-47's all around and on the house!

Heh-heh, it kind of makes one nostalgic for the good ole days when we were us and they were them and every body knew who the badguys were. Yeah, sometimes I really miss those Commies. AK-47's all around and on the house!

I wonder how many deaths Mr Kalashnikov's invention has facilitated over the last 50 years, a fair few I'll bet.

They do not make spies in the UK like Maclean, Blunt, Burgess and Philby anymore , UK suffer in all areas, rock stars to spys , none as good as the old days .

They do not make spies in the UK like Maclean, Blunt, Burgess and Philby anymore , UK suffer in all areas, rock stars to spys , none as good as the old days .

Ahhh... Drexl.. they where SOVIET spies, not BRITISH spies. (in the sense of who they worked for).

Britain has some SUPERB spies at the moment... they're all over in Russia.

You don't hear about them much. That's how good they are :D

Meow Purr.

oh, they were SOVIET spys !. Well , you are educating us all today, there must be all of 0 persons that knew that fact . I am in wonder of your expertise .

I think spyings gonna become big again..so many spies on the payroll; so few secrets...I think most spies now are just desk jockeys in cubicles, working the i-net..i bet putin would buy whatever any spy was selling...he's kinda scary.but arent they all..

oh, they were SOVIET spys !. Well , you are educating us all today, there must be all of 0 persons that knew that fact . I am in wonder of your expertise .

They're technically NOT Soviet... Seeing as the Soviet regime ended in 1991.

Ships was reffering to WHO the spies were working for - the KGB so to speak, seeing as Putin is a former KGB official.

If you really must revert to - what can be seen only as lame - retorts or sarcasm. Please make sure you can use essentially use sarcasm in the first place. Don't worry yourself though. One day you'll get there, keep on trucking.

---

Now. We should all begin to blame America... They ruined Bonds plans to get into Russia and sort the mess out by making it into film... (From Russia with love)

WATCH OUT FOR THAT SHOE OF PUTINS BOND! IT'S POISONED.

Well, YOU where the one talking about the decline of "British" spies Drexl. Feel free to continue genuflecting :D

They're technically NOT Soviet... Seeing as the Soviet regime ended in 1991.

Did you READ the previous posts Chokmah ? We where reffering to Maclean, Blunt, Burgess and Philby. I seem to recall they where Soviet era ? :P

And Putin does NOT need a poisened shoe... he merely takes his shirt off. :P

Meow Purr.

Well, YOU where the one talking about the decline of "British" spies Drexl. Feel free to continue genuflecting :D

Did you READ the previous posts Chokmah ? We where reffering to Maclean, Blunt, Burgess and Philby. I seem to recall they where Soviet era ? :P

And Putin does NOT need a poisened shoe... he merely takes his shirt off. :P

Meow Purr.

Yeah but Putin is more awesome 'cause he's actually in power and a former KGB official :P As well as carrying on the old-Russian regime. Or trying too anyhow...

An old shoe on a new foot.

But Macleans, Blunt, Burgess and Philby were just... Well that history is just ironic and slightly clever if I must say so.

Edited by Chokmah

Yeah but Putin is more awesome 'cause he's actually in power and a former KGB official :P As well as carrying on the old-Russian regime. Or trying too anyhow...

An old shoe on a new foot.

But Macleans, Blunt, Burgess and Philby were just... Well that history is just ironic and slightly clever if I must say so.

Yeah - concur. I can't make my mind up wether Putin is merely trying to strengthen Russia and allow its people to fulfill their potential (e.g. a Nationalist), or wether he is becoming power-crazed and trying to rebuild the USSR (to say nothing of a "Life-Presidency" or equivelant. )... in other words, a New Stalin.

Slightly worrying either way.

P.S. I'm presuming in my previous posts that you HAVE seen the famous picture(s) of him fishing barechested ? (possibly the first time that a Russian leader has been shortlisted for FHM magazine, if not PlayGirl ? ). If you HAVN'T... let me know and I'll try and dig it up. (it was in an old post in this forum area). It is - frankly - a worrying picture.

Meow Purr.

Yaaaay - well done Unlimited for digging that one up again. :D

Apparantly there is a similar shot when he was hunting ? (Barechested with a Rifle.... Bush must already be having palpitations).

A note of caution when circulating this picture... under NO circumstances allow a British MP (let alone a member of the cabinet) to see it.

People... we do NOT want Gordon Brown trying to emulate this. Think of the children.

Meow Purr.

Yaaaay - well done Unlimited for digging that one up again. :D

Apparantly there is a similar shot when he was hunting ? (Barechested with a Rifle.... Bush must already be having palpitations).

A note of caution when circulating this picture... under NO circumstances allow a British MP (let alone a member of the cabinet) to see it.

People... we do NOT want Gordon Brown trying to emulate this. Think of the children.

Meow Purr.

I think he should.

We can then get him out of office for indecent behavior. :lol:

'Cause no one wants to see him now, people do NOT EVER wanna see him doing a Putin.

Edited by Chokmah

I think he should.

We can then get him out of office for indecent behavior. :lol:

'Cause no one wants to see him now, people do NOT EVER wanna see him doing a Putin.

I appreciate that we are veering WAY off topic here... but... can you think of a British politican that could pull off a "putin", in this context ?

I can't ?

Meow Purr.

* Tries not to think of Margaret Thatcher, tries not to think.... *

Nope. Can't think of anyone. Maybe Paddy Ashdown, back in the day...

I appreciate that we are veering WAY off topic here... but... can you think of a British politican that could pull off a "putin", in this context ?

I can't ?

Meow Purr.

Churchill!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Neville Chamberlain I guess, if he became PM 20 to 30 years earlier...

Churchill!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Neville Chamberlain I guess, if he became PM 20 to 30 years earlier...

Euwwwww.... I just had this horrible image of a Putanic "Yalta" conference. :blink:

Meow Purr.