Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

We Want to Rip You Off!

DreamRebel

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DreamRebel

• Xenojjin

• Nancy

• fulltimekiller

w00t.gif

Thats just sad . You should reply and pretend to go along with it for a while for humor purposes , and post every email the fruitcake sends you here . Pretend to be an idiot when replying to him just for kicks . laugh.gif

Sounds a bit like the Nigerian scam thats been going for a while now. If the guy asks you to deposit 2G's as goodwill to prove your "goodwill" then I'm right.

Nigerian Letter

Lagos, Nigeria.

Attention: The President/CEO

Dear Sir,

Confidential Business Proposal

Having consulted with my colleagues and based on the information gathered from the Nigerian Chambers Of Commerce And Industry, I have the privilege to request your assistance to transfer the sum of $47,500,000.00 (forty seven million, five hundred thousand United States dollars) into your accounts. The above sum resulted from an over-invoiced contract, executed, commissioned and paid for about five years (5) ago by a foreign contractor. This action was however intentional and since then the fund has been in a suspense account at The Central Bank Of Nigeria Apex Bank.

We are now ready to transfer the fund overseas and that is where you come in. It is important to inform you that as civil servants, we are forbidden to operate a foreign account; that is why we require your assistance. The total sum will be shared as follows: 70% for us, 25% for you and 5% for local and international expenses incidental to the transfer.

The transfer is risk free on both sides. I am an accountant with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC). If you find this proposal acceptable, we shall require the following documents:

(a) your banker's name, telephone, account and fax numbers.

(cool.gif your private telephone and fax numbers — for confidentiality and easy communication.

© your letter-headed paper stamped and signed.

Alternatively we will furnish you with the text of what to type into your letter-headed paper, along with a breakdown explaining, comprehensively what we require of you. The business will take us thirty (30) working days to accomplish.

Please reply urgently.

Best regards

Howgul Abul Arhu

P.s if this Dude's for real the send Me G wink2.gif

Yep, all of you have this pegged, 100%.

If you ever have any questions concerning the reliability of any given "email goodie" please check www.snopes.com

It is an excellent source for Urban Legends of all shapes and sizes. They have an extensive portfolio of sample letters as Scaramanger mentioned.

Claim:  A wealthy foreigner needs your help moving millions of dollars from his homeland to yours and will reward you with a hefty percentage of this fortune if you agree to assist him. Status:  False.

Snopes Scams

Will Rogers was right, ya know.... "There's a fool born every minute" and of course, don't forget........ If it's too good to be true......... Well, you know the answer!

Careful out there! The Internet can be a scary place!

Nancy

I've heard of this scam before. what suprises me is who would honestly believe

this? A good rule of thumb is 'if it's too good to be true, it probably is.'

was kinda shocked to see them go for me (even though Im sure its random)

Don't worry, they just picked some completly random address and hoped they would give them some money.

the sad thing is that there are morons who will believe him, i say good luck to the scam, if people are dumb enough to fall for it, they probably deserved it anyways:P

i say never go with something that is too good to be true(theres always people who dont think) you cant become a millionaire in one day just by sending a bit of cash (unless you win the lotto grin2.gif ) its always a scam i have got that kinda of stuff all i do is send it to the trash i think next time i play alone just to get there hopes up then say your no im not giving you any money something like that

There is also a scam like this on the news once, where they get you to fly to said country and you actually don't come back. ph34r.gif be afraid, be very afraid ph34r.gifalien.gifdevil.gif

Yeah, gotta love getting spammed by the get rich quick scams. Really makes ya wish, they had something better to do with their time & life, than trying to scam others. rolleyes.gif It's actually sad that there are people out there who believe them. With all the viruses out there now, I don't even open email, unless I'm 100% sure who it's come from. wink2.gif

Do people actually fall for these things? wacko.gif

Yes, I saw a case on one of those tv court shows where a woman was trying to get her money back from a friend that she went in on one of these scams with.

Needless to say, she lost. This is an illegal deal and courts will not make you whole after an illegal deal goes bad.

Don alien.gif

I work at an internet company and see thousands of these types of SPAM messages a day. Man are they good for a laugh!

"Hello this is Taliban! Osama has choosen you to be very rich! Please send us you Credit Card nuimber so that we can send the money to your account. Thank you for supporting the Camel jockey military fund!"

Sincerely,

Abdul Jahared Umma. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

When in doubt I would do what Nancy said and go to www.snopes.com - it will debunk just about any email hoax!

I spoke to my local police service about this type of e-mail and they advised me to immediately delete it right off my computer.

"Hello this is Taliban! Osama has choosen you to be very rich! Please send us you Credit Card nuimber so that we can send the money to your account. Thank you for supporting the Camel jockey military fund!"

Sincerely,

Abdul Jahared

LOL laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif what a dumb scammer plus that person would be dumb to actually accept it

A lot of these have even been set out by the police trying to catch people, I've heard that it's been done here in Australia as well

Ha! I get tons of spam too! I don't get bothered with it. Just laugh about it and delete it!

Here's one of the e-mails I had:

"Hi, before I start, let me intraduce myself,my name is Hitler the III.(No no,not the german b******)My family is having some financial/political problems and we chose you as to help us. Please,help quick,we might not have enough time to get any help so please,hurry.

Thank You

Sincerely,

Hitler the III"

That mail was stupid...I send back a reply saying,"no thanks you german b**ch!"

This person is pretty good at this , ( in relation to other scammers that just plainly cannot make anything up that doesnt make you laugh.gif )

You should report this person to the police soon .