Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Snakes in the Philippines

mnemeion

I don't remember the details, only the event. It happened way back in '98. A giant snake blocked an entire highway of a province which caused a major traffic. Many people saw the snake and the eyewitnesses all claim that its body was as large as a coconut tree's. It crossed the highway slowly, taking it about 20 minutes to completely disappear from the crowd. There was a report about this on the t.v. as they try to find the snake. But it was never seen again.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bball

• capoeiranger

• mnemeion

• war_machine

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

block entire highway road ???? how long could that be ??

20 minutes and nobody take a pic or try to follow ? man, they are so lazy !

(is there any problem with google ? i cant access it :( )

I don't remember the details, only the event. It happened way back in '98. A giant snake blocked an entire highway of a province which caused a major traffic. Many people saw the snake and the eyewitnesses all claim that its body was as large as a coconut tree's. It crossed the highway slowly, taking it about 20 minutes to completely disappear from the crowd. There was a report about this on the t.v. as they try to find the snake. But it was never seen again.

Doesn't really sound that unusual. Reticulated pythons can be found in the Philippines, and can reach up to 30 feet in length. Certainly long enough to block a roadway.

It was back in 1998. And it was in a rural province, and it also wasn't a tourist destination. An eyewitness said that the snake's body was about a feet in diameter.

It was back in 1998. And it was in a rural province, and it also wasn't a tourist destination. An eyewitness said that the snake's body was about a feet in diameter.

Well again, that sounds about right. Then consider perhaps it had recently eaten, it could even be bigger than that.

Well again, that sounds about right. Then consider perhaps it had recently eaten, it could even be bigger than that.

Which also explain the sluggish movement. I also have no doubt about this, I have a friend from Borneo who told me that when he was a small kid, he walked 5km from home to school, on the road one day he saw almost the same thing. there are many people also witnessing the snake, but nobody dares to come any closer. I think it was back in the 80s.

I don't think its a reticulated python, and it would have to be alot bigger then 30 ft. as he didn't say a roadway, he said a highway, highway's are alot wider then 30 ft. Unless of course it was only one side, or 2-3 lanes. And reticulated pythons don't reach a girth of 1 ft. not that I've seen anyway. Reticulated Pythons are usually longer then an anaconda, but alot more slender in girth. I'd like to know more if possible though...

I don't think its a reticulated python, and it would have to be alot bigger then 30 ft. as he didn't say a roadway, he said a highway, highway's are alot wider then 30 ft. Unless of course it was only one side, or 2-3 lanes. And reticulated pythons don't reach a girth of 1 ft. not that I've seen anyway. Reticulated Pythons are usually longer then an anaconda, but alot more slender in girth. I'd like to know more if possible though...

The term highway is not used the same everywhere. It isn't just a term for interstates. And if the python was in the middle of digesting a wild boar or whatever, a 1ft diameter would be nothing unusual at all.

Edited by bball

Thats tru, but unless we seen the picture of the "highway/interstate" we really couldn't determine the size, and wouldn't it only be 1ft diameter or more in the area where the boar is?

Thats tru, but unless we seen the picture of the "highway/interstate" we really couldn't determine the size, and wouldn't it only be 1ft diameter or more in the area where the boar is?

Yo, that "highway" is in the Phillipines, ya! It's oubviously not as big as the Interstates in US where a humongous truck can practiced drifting :D .

here a big one.

post-39751-1195148536_thumb.jpg

post-39751-1195148559_thumb.jpg

here a big one.

That is 1 big snake. Would hate to have big boy chasing me.

^

That is 1 big snake. Would hate to have big boy chasing me.

Yeah, plus if Andre Benjamin is in front of you with a big smile and streched hands!! :D

Not if the digestion process is nearing completion, as the picture above kind of shows.

capoeiranger-I was thinking that a highway there probably isn't as big as what many of ours over here are, but I didn't know for sure, thanks for the clarification.

This sounds familiar like I've heard it before...but it was years ago....never heard anything about again.

capoeiranger-I was thinking that a highway there probably isn't as big as what many of ours over here are, but I didn't know for sure, thanks for the clarification.

Yes, most of the "highway in South East Asia like Indonesia and the Phillipines isn't any wide. I guess it was only roughly 7-8m across.

Reticulated python is the only native species of big snake in the Philippines and can be found all over the country.

It is indeed a Retic python. What I doubt is the actual size, it is just human nature to exaggerate, could be just a 20-23 footer and comment of it probably has just eaten is more of the possibility.

Yo, that "highway" is in the Phillipines, ya! It's oubviously not as big as the Interstates in US where a humongous truck can practiced drifting :D .

TRUE! and that was during 1998, now the HW's are wide.

Check this out:

Edited by war_machine