Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Official UM Trivia Thread

Saru

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• djdodo

• Lionel

• Nxt2Hvn

• Daughter of the Nine Moons

Who was the first American to walk in space?

A: Edward White, 1965

You're right, Pale Horse, free cheese for you. laugh.gif

Q: What was the shortest war in recorded history?

A. The war between England and Zanzibar, 25 August, 1896, from 9:02 - 9:40 AM. A whopping 38 minutes!

Q: What was the shortest war in recorded history?

A. The war between England and Zanzibar, 25 August, 1896, from 9:02 - 9:40 AM. A whopping 38 minutes!

Correct thumbsup.gif

Q. Who Invented Lasagna?

A: As for the origins of pasta, we should run several tracks: certainly an Etruscan one, then Roman, Arabian and, may be, a Chinese one.

Etruscan archaeological findings, mainly in Cerveteri (near to Rome), display stucco relieves of several tools used for home pasta-making. They were pasta ribbons, called lágana by the Romans, from where the present name lasagna comes. Apicio, roman writer of the 1st century a.C. describes lágana in its book De re coquinaria.

The Chinese track: while it is been definitively ascertained that it wasn't Marco Polo to import the use of spaghetti from China, it also seems certain that the use of pasta in China roots extremely far back.

More documented is the Arabian track: it seems, in fact, that stipes of dried pasta were included in the staples that ships and caravans used to take away already before the year 1,000 a.C., in the period of the huge Islamic expansion. Particularly the Arab geographer Al Idrisi wrote around the year 1,150 that this flour based food in the shape of strings was called tria in Arabic and much of it was produced in Palermo, Trabia locality (Sicily).

Gleaned from a pasta history site.

Q. Who Invented Lasagna?

A: As for the origins of pasta, we should run several tracks: certainly an Etruscan one, then Roman, Arabian and, may be, a Chinese one.

Etruscan archaeological findings, mainly in Cerveteri (near to Rome), display stucco relieves of several tools used for home pasta-making. They were pasta ribbons, called lágana by the Romans, from where the present name lasagna comes. Apicio, roman writer of the 1st century a.C. describes lágana in its book De re coquinaria.

The Chinese track: while it is been definitively ascertained that it wasn't Marco Polo to import the use of spaghetti from China, it also seems certain that the use of pasta in China roots extremely far back.

More documented is the Arabian track: it seems, in fact, that stipes of dried pasta were included in the staples that ships and caravans used to take away already before the year 1,000 a.C., in the period of the huge Islamic expansion. Particularly the Arab geographer Al Idrisi wrote around the year 1,150 that this flour based food in the shape of strings was called tria in Arabic and much of it was produced in Palermo, Trabia locality (Sicily).

Gleaned from a pasta history site.

good answer .. wink2.gif

but still not correct .. sorry .. dontgetit.gif

Q. Who Invented Lasagna?

Chef Boyardee! laugh.gif

Or the dude who said "That's a one spicy meatball!"

Q. Who Invented Lasagna?

Chef Boyardee! laugh.gif

Or the dude who said "That's a one spicy meatball!"

hmm!!!

I mean in which country .. ??

its really simple original.gif

The Vatican? San Marino? The Papal States?

The Polish!!!

No, dude, they invented sausage! laugh.gif

I believe the question was

Q. Who Invented Lasagna?

not "pasta"

A. In the 14th century, the English had a form of what we know today as lasagna, but the Italians added such things as tomatoes and zesty spices some time later.

Q. Who Invented Lasagna?

not "pasta"

A. In the 14th century, the English had a form of what we know today as lasagna, but the Italians added such things as tomatoes and zesty spices some time later.

you are getting there .. just say the country grin2.gif

Q. Who Invented Lasagna?

not "pasta"

you are getting there .. just say the country grin2.gif

I think I will concider it correct .. w00t.gif

Lasagna was first served in the court of Richard II in the 14th century, say the researchers, who found the original recipe while studying a medieval cookbook, the forme of Cury, in the British museum.

QUOTE (schadeaux @ Aug 20 2003, 10:16 PM)

Q. Who Invented Lasagna? 

not "pasta"

you are getting there .. just say the country 

A. England.

QUOTE (schadeaux @ Aug 20 2003, 10:16 PM)

Q. Who Invented Lasagna? 

not "pasta"

you are getting there .. just say the country 

A. England.

yep .. grin2.gif

thats correct grin2.gif