Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Official UM Trivia Thread

Saru

Q. What was one of the main reasons why the first World War began????

A. Well, these guys were sitting around one beautiful July day, knocking back a few brews, doing some fishing, and just generally being bored. As they are getting low on beer, one of the guys suggests they do something for a bit of fun and switch over to rabbit hunting on the way to the corner store. Well, after an afternoon of drinking, the guys were a bit unsure of their aim at times, and one of them, Henry, could have sworn that what he shot at LOOKED like a rabbit, although a very tall one with a bad hair cut... No one bothered to tell the guys that Archduke Ferdinand of Austria was visiting...

Anyway, Archduke Ferdinands assasination was the first major event that started WW1. Everything dominoed from there.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• djdodo

• Lionel

• Nxt2Hvn

• Daughter of the Nine Moons

Q. What was one of the main reasons why the first World War began????

A. Well, these guys were sitting around one beautiful July day, knocking back a few brews, doing some fishing, and just generally being bored. As they are getting low on beer, one of the guys suggests they do something for a bit of fun and switch over to rabbit hunting on the way to the corner store. Well, after an afternoon of drinking, the guys were a bit unsure of their aim at times, and one of them, Henry, could have sworn that what he shot at LOOKED like a rabbit, although a very tall one with a bad hair cut... No one bothered to tell the guys that Archduke Ferdinand of Austria was visiting...

Anyway, Archduke Ferdinands assasination was the first major event that started WW1. Everything dominoed from there.

You are soooo hilarious Schadeaux

How on earth can you be sooo funny???? laugh.gif

A. Archduke Francis Ferdinand

Correctamundo Schadeaux!!!!!

Point for Schadeaux thumbsup.gifwink2.gif

Sticking with World War I

Q. World War I ended when the Armistice was signed on what date and year???

A. 11/09/1918?

A. Armistice Day! original.gif

November 11, 1918

Actually, both sides had agreed independently to stop fighting a few days before (Nov. 9, to be exact) and had sent messengers to the opposing commanders announcing their own surrender. By an improbable twist of fate, both messengers, Fritz and Stan, happened to run into each other in a small pub just north of Paris, where they were pleasently suprised to discover their common occupations. After much consoling (and much shared wine) over their deplorable working conditions, meager pay, lack of union representation, and general dissatisfaction with life, they proceeded to stagger their separate ways, Fritz on his way to the Allied camp, Stan on to the German. Well, Stan never could hold his liquer and promptly got lost, finally ending up somewhere near Lenningrad. Fritz, however, stayed true to his mission.

And so, on November 11, 1918, Germany signed the last of a series of armistice agreements ending WW1.

A. Armistice Day! original.gif

November 11, 1918

Actually, both sides had agreed independently to stop fighting a few days before (Nov. 9, to be exact) and had sent messengers to the opposing commanders announcing their own surrender. By an improbable twist of fate, both messengers, Fritz and Stan, happened to run into each other in a small pub just north of Paris, where they were pleasently suprised to discover their common occupations. After much consoling (and much shared wine) over their deplorable working conditions, meager pay, lack of union representation, and general dissatisfaction with life, they proceeded to stagger their separate ways, Fritz on his way to the Allied camp, Stan on to the German. Well, Stan never could hold his liquer and promptly got lost, finally ending up somewhere near Lenningrad. Fritz, however, stayed true to his mission.

And so, on November 11, 1918, Germany signed the last of a series of armistice agreements ending WW1.

That was a good guess Exeter, but no cigar!!! tongue.gif

A. November 11, 1918.

Correct Schadeaux, you get the point thumbsup.gif

Arrrrgggghhhhh!!!! I knew the right answer to that!!! Bloody intoxicants!

Congrats schadeaux! thumbup.gifclap.gifnotworthy.gif

Q. What does Belphegor seduce you with?

Q. What does Belphegor seduce you with?

A. Belphegor seduces humans with wealth????

Oh so true!

You get the point! thumbsup.gif

I'm sticking with World War I.

Q. The Germans used poison gas for the first time in the war on what date???

A. The German Army dispersed chlorine gas over Allied lines at Ypres, Belgium, on 22 April 1915.

(sorry, no story on this one sad.gif )

I'm sticking with World War I.

Q. The Germans used poison gas for the first time in the war on what date???

A. The German Army dispersed chlorine gas over Allied lines at Ypres, Belgium, on 22 April 1915.

(sorry, no story on this one sad.gif )

A. April 22, 1915.

Good job Schadeaux!!!!!! thumbsup.gif

I was really looking forward to one of your stories. sad.gif

I also was going to have two parts to that question. I was going to ask where they used the poison gas, BUT...... you beat me to it man. tongue.gif

Q. which was better, the original King Kong or the remake? okay, that's just a matter of opinion, okay, how was Jessica Lang's character found in the 70's remake of King Kong? that's better.

Q. What's the name of the people who were first to stand on the summit of Mount Everest????

*just waiting for a question that I can answer.* whistling2.gif

a. Tenzing Norgay was the first, Edmund Hillary was next. Am I right, Allie?

Q. What's the name of the people who were first to stand on the summit of Mount Everest????

A. Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay were the first people to stand on the summit of Mount Everest.

So yes Snuffy you were right. thumbsup.gif

Ok, Q. Now what year did they stand on the summit????

Q. which was better, the original King Kong or the remake?  okay, that's just a matter of opinion, okay, how was Jessica Lang's character found in the 70's remake of King Kong?  that's better.

A. Jessica Langs character became a ready-for-anything, been-around-the-block playmate with the body of a goddess and the heart of a cash register.

Other than that........ w00t.gif

Q. Now what year did they stand on the summit????

A. It was 1953 wasn't it Allie ........

Q. Who is the only person depicted on a Newzealand monetary note ( besides the Queen ) that is still alive today ?

A. Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay were the first people to stand on the summit of Mount Everest.

So yes Snuffy you were right. thumbsup.gif

Ok, Q. Now what year did they stand on the summit????

Tenzing Norgay is the freaking man I ought to have put him on my list of heroes laugh.gif . No, you're answer for the Jessica Lang question isn't quite what I was looking for, hon.

Q. Who is the only person depicted on a Newzealand monetary note ( besides the Queen ) that is still alive today ?

A. May 29, 1953.

You're exactly right.

A point for Kismit thumbsup.gif

I'm guessing here. But since we were just talking about the climbing of Mount Everest.......... original.gif

A. Sir Edmund Hillary????

I'm guessing here. There is a couple more that I've found. But since we were just talking about climbing of Mount Everest.......... 

Yay!! go Allie thumbsup.gif there's more? I really need to pay more attention to detail ..

I'm guessing here. There is a couple more that I've found. But since we were just talking about climbing of Mount Everest.......... 

Yay!! go Allie thumbsup.gif there's more? I really need to pay more attention to detail ..

whistling2.gif Oooops, I think "I" need to pay a little more attention to detail Kismit. The person that I thought might be the one had actually died in 1934.

Man do I feel stupid....... wacko.gif

The person was Kate Sheppard. Today her image graces the New Zealand $10 note and a mural commemorating the achievements of the suffragists stands on the banks of the Avon River in Christchurch. In her obituary in the Christchurch Times on 16 July 1934, it was written:

"A great woman has gone, whose name will remain an inspiration to the daughters of New Zealand while our history endures."