Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Squid on "Monster Quest"

Cryptoman

I just finished finished watching Monster Quest on the History Channel and let me tell you, it was great! It was about the giant squid and how they believed to dwell in the Sea of Cortez and preys upon humboldt squid.

They decided to find evidence, they would attach a camera to a squid and see if it caught anything on camera. They attached it to the squid and dived to about 1000 feet. First it ran into a few other humboldts as they investigated the camera. Then, out of the darkness, comes a large squid making attempting to attack. They reeled in the squid after an hour.

The creature caught was very large, at least compared to the 5 foot long squid with the camera. Comparing the length from center of the tentacles to the eye (you can see the eye shining) it was estimated to be I think....60 feet? I'm not sure, first they said 60 feet, than they said 100 feet, it confused me a bit. But you can definitley tell that this was a big squid.

If anyone else like to say anything or give us the estimated size, I implore you to contribute. :yes:

Edited by Cryptoman

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptoman

• bball

• Carcharoth

• Mad Manfred

However big that squid was, one thing's a given: IT WAS ENORMOUS. It actually really scared me, but this is definitely a big breakthrough for science. Hopefully now they can actually study giant squids instead of dissecting rotting carcasses.

Hopefully now they can actually study giant squids instead of dissecting rotting carcasses.

I agree, I think it's a more efficient way of studying these undersea behemoths.

Ya that was a sweet episode. I love that theres a show that actually finds things rather than just finding the dumbest ugliest most inbred hillbilly to say, "Yep i seen err. Them came out o tha mist and scurred my dog."

Then at the end of the show concluding that there is no evidence and its all imagination.

Ya that was a sweet episode. I love that theres a show that actually finds things rather than just finding the dumbest ugliest most inbred hillbilly to say, "Yep i seen err. Them came out o tha mist and scurred my dog."

Then at the end of the show concluding that there is no evidence and its all imagination.

HAHAHAHAHA That made me laugh aloud.

Its so true, that show that sometimes airs called "Is It Real?" is sometimes like that, especially on the bigfoot and yeti episodes.

:lol::lol: :lol:

I haven't seen the program in question, but I'm not the slightest bit surprised that there's enormous beasts down there. God knows what we might find if we ever were to go down to the deepest places of the oceans.

I just finished finished watching Monster Quest on the History Channel and let me tell you, it was great! It The creature caught was very large, at least compared to the 5 foot long squid with the camera. Comparing the length from center of the tentacles to the eye (you can see the eye shining) it was estimated to be I think....60 feet? I'm not sure, first they said 60 feet, than they said 100 feet, it confused me a bit. But you can definitley tell that this was a big squid.

If anyone else like to say anything or give us the estimated size, I implore you to contribute. :yes:

They could not tell what species of squid it was so the two estimates are based on two different species of squid. The first estimate of 60 ft is the estimated length if it was a Humboldt Squid. The second estimate was 108 ft, which is the estimated total length if it was a Giant Squid. The arms of this squid (whatever species) were estimated to be a whopping 18 inches in diameter! That is insane. Hold that up in front of yourself, those are some thick powerful arms.

Edited by bball

wow that's a huge squid ,(keeping in mind a 5ft squid can pull you under) how scary would that be if you were diving and saw that

wow that's a huge squid ,(keeping in mind a 5ft squid can pull you under) how scary would that be if you were diving and saw that

Personally I'd sh** a brickwall if I saw something like that :cry:

A Japanese scientist got one on video a few years ago using a lure. The giant squid, if I recall correctly, actually becaume hung up on the lure and lost a tentacle.

I've seen the tentacle clubs of these beasts! The suckers alone are huge; something like 2-3cm in diameter, which is massive for a squid. The rings are particularly wicked looking. Fantastic creatures :D

Wouldn't mind seeing one of these Collossal squids. Or even a full Achie in the flesh.

THE KRAKEN!!!!! :o:tsu:

If the Kraken of old Norwegian legends actually were to exist, I think seamen all over the world would collectively sh** their pants, as the Kraken was said to be the size of a small island (and that was apparently only the body, not including the squids) :lol:

Footage?

I watched this last night, It was pretty freaky. They have footage. I was pretty amazed, but then again shiney objects distract me.

Footage?

Go to the History Channel website. Today it is in the 'today's picks' section. Or go HERE and then click the 'browse video list' button and choose the Giant Squid one.

Go to the History Channel website. Today it is in the 'today's picks' section. Or go HERE and then click the 'browse video list' button and choose the Giant Squid one.

thanks!!

Thanks...it really doesn't look that big though...108ft? Seems like an immense exaggeration...it only appeared to be slightly larger than the one they hooked the camera up to.

Thanks...it really doesn't look that big though...108ft? Seems like an immense exaggeration...it only appeared to be slightly larger than the one they hooked the camera up to.

I agree, 108 ft is a big exaggeration, but I think it looked much bigger than the one with the camera strapped to it. Maybe 60 ft, or maybe just 15 ft, but it was bigger than 10 ft (in my opinion).

Wow that thing was huge. I was actually really excited to see something like that. I think the first estimate of 60ft seems reasonable. It's really hard for me to imagine a squid that is as long as a blue whale.

I agree, 108 ft is a big exaggeration, but I think it looked much bigger than the one with the camera strapped to it. Maybe 60 ft, or maybe just 15 ft, but it was bigger than 10 ft (in my opinion).

If it is indeed a Giant Squid then it might not necessarily be an exaggeration. The Giant Squid has two extra long tentacles that are included in this estimate. Look at it this way, either way, this squid has the body of one that could be about 60 ft. Then if it were a Giant Squid, 40 or so more feet is about right, with the two longer tentacles.

In Giant Squid the two extra tentacles are close to half of the total length of the animal.

If it is indeed a Giant Squid then it might not necessarily be an exaggeration. The Giant Squid has two extra long tentacles that are included in this estimate. Look at it this way, either way, this squid has the body of one that could be about 60 ft. Then if it were a Giant Squid, 40 or so more feet is about right, with the two longer tentacles.

In Giant Squid the two extra tentacles are close to half of the total length of the animal.

Interesting statement, I never put the tentacles into consideration. I believe you are right. :tsu::tu:

• 4 months later...

Take a squid out of the water, cut a hole in it's body, and attach a camera to it, I don't think it is going to swim directly to a giant squid by chance.

What actualy happened is , that is was in severe distress, and it swam directly back to the hive, returning to the queen.

Humboldt squids are the drones of a queen squid. They feed near the surface and return with food to feed the queen.

Just like many other families in nature.

You heard it here first!

Nice website by the way.