Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Emigration soars as Britons desert the UK

questionmark

Emigration soars as Britons desert the UK

By Philip Johnston, Home Affairs Editor

Last Updated: 6:56pm GMT 15/11/2007

Britain is experiencing the greatest exodus of its own nationals in recent history while immigration is at unprecedented levels, new figures show.

Last year, 207,000 British citizens - one every three minutes - left the country while 510,000 foreigners arrived to stay for a year or more.

The British made up more than half of the 400,000 moving abroad - yet only 14 per cent of immigrants were UK nationals coming home.

The figures do not include hundreds of thousands of east Europeans who have come to work in Britain in the past two years.

This is because most are coming for less than 12 months and do not show up on the statistics.

The figures from the Office for National Statistics suggest that only one sixth of the immigrants in 2006 were from the states that joined the EU in 2004.

The biggest influx was from the New Commonwealth - India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka - with more than 200,000.

Since Labour came to power in 1997, 1.8m British people have left but only 979,000 have returned, Over the same period, 3.9m foreign nationals have come to Britain while 1.6m have left.

More than 50 per cent of the British emigrants moved to just four countries in 2006 - Australia, New Zealand, France and Spain. Eight in every 100 went to the USA.

The ONS said that overall last year there were 591,000 immigrants to the UK and 400,000 emigrants, both the highest figures ever recorded.

Full story, Source: The Telegraph

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Hill

• chemical-licker

• ships-cat

• Primeval

Top Posters In This Topic

We are living through the greatest demographic change in this country since the ice bridge to Europe melted.

There is an elephant in the room. But it is illegal to discuss it. Therefore there is no elephant.

Meow Purr :(

Edited by ships-cat

well theirs good news..if all the natives leave. you will have more room for middle eastern immigrants...cheerio...

well theirs good news..if all the natives leave. you will have more room for middle eastern immigrants...cheerio...

Your from florida.... You don't say 'cheerio'. :huh:

Well, most of you know my standpoint in regards to free travel and free choise of country of living, but I do feel sad about England.

It is sad that a culture like the English culture is changing. England had always something specific in it's heritage. I remeber enjoying watching movies made in England and I still enjoy watching Faulty Towers and other comedies ( the english humor is the best for me ).

I do think that the government let the English tradtion down. They should have tried to preserve the heritage and at the same time accomodate new immigrants but with stricter rules.

My cousin lives in England, he is a Bosnian. England was his dream. Now he complaines too about how it changed there. Many of his english friends left for somewhere else.

But I guess this is happening everywhere else. Times are changing.

We are living through the greatest demographic change in this country since the ice bridge to Europe melted.

There is an elephant in the room. But it is illegal to discuss it. Therefore there is no elephant.

Well said.

Lets all emmigrate to Austrailia along with the rest. I think UK is all but dead but at least theres another nice little island which is very much British in nature.

four of my mates have emmigrated to Australia and so far they love it over there, at times i feel like throwing in the towel and have it away on my toes, but i love my country to much. :sm Labour have ****ed the UK up in the last 10 years, this change has happened because we're following the lefts version of the world. wait until the next world war for certain citizens to show there true colours,......lets see who stands up and be counted when the chips are down.

I dont blame the English for wanting to abandon ship for Australia.

Its so much nicer here :whistle:

I have a question. Are most of the people that are emmigrating, from England? The article did'nt give any kind of stats on this.

Well said. The BBC reported this, & there approach to this story always brings a wry smile to my lips, apparently we are leaving in droves primarely because of the weather...lol

Well said. The BBC reported this, & there approach to this story always brings a wry smile to my lips, apparently we are leaving in droves primarely because of the weather...lol

The weather ?

Well, a flood perhaps. Followed by an approaching storm.

Meow Purr.

Edited by ships-cat

yeah...that cracked me up as well. To think, they're people out who believe it...

Well, most of you know my standpoint in regards to free travel and free choise of country of living, but I do feel sad about England.

I am truly humbled odas... :yes:

Well said.

Lets all emmigrate to Austrailia along with the rest. I think UK is all but dead but at least theres another nice little island which is very much British in nature.

You dont them do you, the aussies hate english people :yes:

You dont them do you, the aussies hate english people :yes:

They don't hate us, you've just gotta make an effort and embrace the Aussie culture.

Like, grow a mullet. Business at the front, party at the back.

anything but the mullet :cry:

I don't know chem... it might suit you? :P

linked-image