Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stranger at the Dance

Ghostdancer

This is a story that has been set in many different locations and with variations. It is an urban legend.

A young girl wants to attend a dance, but her parents will not allow her. She sneaks out of the house and shows up to where the dance is held and meets a young man whom she dances with. There is something a little strange about the way he is dancing and when she looks down at his feet one is like that of a goat and the other like that of a chicken and she lets out a scream. Another woman in attendance makes the sign of the cross and the man disappears in puff of smoke leaving a foul odor in wake.

Perhaps one of those tales to serve as a warning to young girls about strange men or not obeying parents?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• man_in_mudboots

• shirini

• ambyglam

• Ghostdancer

i think its the embodiment of a fear of people you like not being what they seem to be, you know, wrong first impressions, although its probably told by parents to teens for the reasons you mentioned. grin2.gif

Yeah. I think its jsut made up to keep the children under the parents thumb. Parents dont like to lose their controle over their kids.

Every year, hundreds of thousand of “dev” sighting are reported in Iran, last dev sighting outside Iran was in Canada on oct.18, 1999… a festival called Mohrgan! A club go-er reported seeing three well dressed men, entering a building…. He said he didn’t think to be odd, until he noticed they weren’t shoes, and they have hoofs!

Iranian believe in different races of human, It comes from that mystical world of their old religion, we have a race people called “Devs”, Dev’s are a race of being that were the complete opposite of humans, example when they are a sleep (daytime) their eyes are open, they also rule the night, but not in a way bad. They are just like us, they families, job and even their own religion, they are a class of peris (fairies), they look and sound like us, they are even bilingual, speaking their own language, they language the of the country they live in, the only physical difference between a Dev and a humans, is that the have hoofs for feet.

Would anyone have had a grudge against these devs, maybe thats why they got such bad press.

hmm, interesting, shirini, about the devs, that is. ayt first i thought it was a computer term short for devil or something. never heard of them. grin2.gif

well, Devs have two sub-cats, Light and Dark, the light devs were good, and tried to help "man", while the dark, would play pranks, etc! The devs have had a bad rep since the very first time they are were mentioned, something about them being envious of humans. Later when Islam came to Iran, it tried to make all class of persi's evil, the idea of the persi's being evil only lasted a few years, but the devs, haveing hoofs ( assistcion with devil) stuck.

MIM, the word devil or demon is roothed in the this mythology of the Dev. I not sure if it ws greeks or romans that first start use it in this context (evil).

in some ways sort of like the djinn/jinn of the same area. any connection there?

i think its unlikely, as what girl does not check out a mans shoes before dancing with him?

if the eyes are the window to the soul then your taste in shoes are a window to your taste in fashion.

i mean who would dance with a man in brown brogues?

ph34r.gif

I find it interesting how many cultures on Earth seem to have myths based around men with the legs of goats(Greeks, Celts, Iranians, etc.) Maybe there's something to this after all...

Heard Goats were great dancers though. I mean why would so many slyphs go off to dance with them in Greek legends? besides don't some people like sleeping with animals....

It's soooooooo not my thiing, Give my my hubby, a warm fire and blankies... but that's just a personal thing.

i think its unlikely, as what girl does not check out a mans shoes before dancing with him? if the eyes are the window to the soul then your taste in shoes are a window to your taste in fashion. i mean who would dance with a man in brown brogues?

hmmm, that answers alot of my questions....

in some ways sort of like the djinn/jinn of the same area. any connection there?

very good MIM...Djinn’s are another race of Peris, they lived in daylight and on the same plain of exist with us. Djinn have sub-classes also, but the most well known of this race are “Jeannie” from “I dream of Jeannie”, Aladdin’s Jeanie, and a horror movie called “The Wishmaster”. I have never met anyone who’s why the Djinn have the power to grant wishes or why the wishes granted always have a bad ending, but it’s widely know that Islam banished them from our plain of existents, those who didn’t leave were imprisoned in inanimate objects!

Urielsfire, they don't goats legs, it's only their feet, starting from their ankles!

very good MIM...Djinn’s are another race of Peris, they lived in daylight and on the same plain of exist with us.

~*~

Urielsfire, they don't goats legs, it's only their feet, starting from their ankles!

Thanks, shirini. blush.giforiginal.gif

~*~

i think Urielsfire was referring not to devs in particular, but to all the goat-limbed (that would mean with feet or legs) mythical creatures.

i think its unlikely, as what girl does not check out a mans shoes before dancing with him? if the eyes are the window to the soul then your taste in shoes are a window to your taste in fashion. i mean who would dance with a man in brown brogues?

im glad i could help!

lol

ph34r.gif

im glad i could help!

i am certain i could only last a few days without my mud boots. we are like best freinds that have been thourough a lot of crap together.

I read this in english freshman year. I know I have my book somewhere so if I find it, I'll type the story wink2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I remember my grandmother telling us stories about the stranger at the dance with cloven feet. She was Native American and had many scary stories. Her stranger could also play fiddle. These dances were held at the council house on our reservation every weekend and he would show up. She also told of being at the beach as a young girl and seeing a pig with a human face. My grandmother told stories in such a way that you couldn't help but belive they were true. I believed her stories. I miss my gramma!

i suppose you too are native american? if i had to be anything other than cajun, id be houma. OK, ill stop bothering yall with my ramblings.

• 2 weeks later...

i think its unlikely, as what girl does not check out a mans shoes before dancing with him?

wait, i just read this again, and realized: you think its unlikley because she didnt check out his shoes, but not because.....hes got one chicken foot and one goat foot?

Edited by man_in_mudboots

And they said men are pigs, shallow and insensitive! Well, it takes a sow to know a hog!

indeed.