Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Black Hole ~ The other side

Truffles

Hi :)

I was wondering, from what I read, scientists don't know what happens on the other side of the black hole once something is sucked into it. I could be totally wrong, so if it's a well known fact, please be gentle :)

If it's not a well known fact, if scientists can take pictures and see black holes, why can't they just take pictures of the other side? Wouldn't that show something going into it and be able to see what happens to it on the other side?

Truffles :wub:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffles

• dest_titor1

• DieChecker

• Master J

why can't they just take pictures of the other side? Wouldn't that show something going into it and be able to see what happens to it on the other side?

You would physically have to send an instrument 'around' the black hole to photograph the other side and seeing as one of the closest black holes is 1500 light years away. 186000 x 60 x 60 x 24 x 365 = 5865696000000 miles in 1 year, multiply this by the 1500 = 8798544000000000. So the closet black hole is 8798544000000000 miles away, with todays technology and using gravitational fields to slingshot our craft faster (they done this with the Galileo probe) Galileo reach 80000 mph (someone feel free to cerrect me here). So if we were to send our probe out at 80000 mph it would still take it 12872401 years to get there.

Hope this helps a bit. ;)

How do we know the WE are not actually on the other side of a black hole?

Well, from what I understand the other side of a black hole is supposed to be...

...a black hole.

There are suggestions, generally in science-fiction or imaginative theories, that a black hole is a 'gateway'. Nothing in physics rules this out, as far as I know, but it doesn't necessarily follow that a black hole has 'another side' in some other part of the universe or even another universe. That, I think, is what wormholes are supposed to achieve.

The singularity that is supposed to lurk inside black holes is indescribable by physics so I suppose any speculation about it cannot be stated as being 'untrue', however a black hole is not connected to anything. It's simply a region of space in which matter has compressed to such a degree that the gravity of that mass is inescapable.

Scientists cannot take pictures of the black hole itself, it cannot be seen as it does not radiate (I know this is not quite true, but it is to all intents and purposes). It would be possible to see it's effect on surrounding matter though. If we were to take a picture of the accretion disk of a black hole it would look pretty much the same from all 'sides' when seen perpendicular to the axis of its rotation. The only other 'side' of a black hole is the inside, and we can't describe what is in there, not with any real certainty anyway.

You would physically have to send an instrument 'around' the black hole to photograph the other side and seeing as one of the closest black holes is 1500 light years away. 186000 x 60 x 60 x 24 x 365 = 5865696000000 miles in 1 year, multiply this by the 1500 = 8798544000000000. So the closet black hole is 8798544000000000 miles away, with todays technology and using gravitational fields to slingshot our craft faster (they done this with the Galileo probe) Galileo reach 80000 mph (someone feel free to cerrect me here). So if we were to send our probe out at 80000 mph it would still take it 12872401 years to get there.

Hope this helps a bit. ;)

Wow! A response I understand ~ laymens terms MUCH appreciated!!! That's crazy!! After I posted I thought about about the -other side. I was hoping maybe the pics they have managed to take were from the side view and not the front or back. Who knows, like Biff says, maybe we are on the other side.

Well, from what I understand the other side of a black hole is supposed to be...

...a black hole.

There are suggestions, generally in science-fiction or imaginative theories, that a black hole is a 'gateway'. Nothing in physics rules this out, as far as I know, but it doesn't necessarily follow that a black hole has 'another side' in some other part of the universe or even another universe. That, I think, is what wormholes are supposed to achieve.

The singularity that is supposed to lurk inside black holes is indescribable by physics so I suppose any speculation about it cannot be stated as being 'untrue', however a black hole is not connected to anything. It's simply a region of space in which matter has compressed to such a degree that the gravity of that mass is inescapable.

Scientists cannot take pictures of the black hole itself, it cannot be seen as it does not radiate (I know this is not quite true, but it is to all intents and purposes). It would be possible to see it's effect on surrounding matter though. If we were to take a picture of the accretion disk of a black hole it would look pretty much the same from all 'sides' when seen perpendicular to the axis of its rotation. The only other 'side' of a black hole is the inside, and we can't describe what is in there, not with any real certainty anyway.

That is absolutely fascinating!! I thought I saw some pictures of them :blush: if they can't see them, how do they know they're there? Or do you mean camera's can't see them, but they can be seen with a telescope.

That is absolutely fascinating!! I thought I saw some pictures of them :blush: if they can't see them, how do they know they're there? Or do you mean camera's can't see them, but they can be seen with a telescope.

Camera's cant picture them. Cameras work by receiving light from an object and "storing" it on film or digital media. BH don't emit light. They may emit Bekenstein-Hawking radiation, but that is unobservable to date.

To answer your question, we don't know for certain they are there. There is a tremendous amount of evidence to suggest they exist and where some are. Because we know quite a bit about the physics involved with black holes, we can describe objects behaviors around them. Observing other objects, and how they act, gives us a really good idea of where such super-massive objects are.

if they can't see them, how do they know they're there? Or do you mean camera's can't see them, but they can be seen with a telescope.

Haha you look like you are a kind person....... ok.... apart from that back to topic:

Well as it has been said here before we don't actually know what happens after falling into a black hole, there have been many theories for that though, raging from wormholes, singularity, another dimension, another universe.. ect......

Ok now I will answer the question I quoted above. Well we can't actually see a black hole, remmeber a black hole is a point in space where gravity is so strong that not even light can escape, in this place in space the gravity has gone crazy, it's almost infinitly strong, so remember that thanks to light you can see objects, if there is no light you can't see... and that's why you can't see at night. The light impacts with the object and then bounces back into your eyes and that's how you see... did that make sense? Well..... gravity being so strong makes even light to fall into the black hole, that means that the light cannot travel back to your eyes so you can't see the object, the light impacts the object but intead of bouncing back it gets "sucked" into the black hole, and that's why we can't see black holes.

So now you know that you know we can't see black holes and why... so how do we detect them? We detect them due to their effects on the objects around them..... for example.. imagine you are stargazing with the world's most powerful telescope... and you see a star going incredibly fast in an elipse around a center... this could very well be a sing of a black hole.... imagine you can see even more stars orbiting incredibly fast.... close to the speed of light around this center wich of course you can't see but you have tracked observing the orbits of the other stars... this are very clear sings of a black hole....

Other ways scientist detect them is by observing the matter falling into it....... remember that in space there are points with a lot of concentrated matter..... in some of this places there are black holes, scientists observe the dense matter falling into the black holes wich falls in a kind of disk into the black hole.... this objects are called quasars ( the matter falling into the black hole in a disk shape). But of course you may ask........ how do we see this matter if eyes cannot escape the black hole and so I cannot see it due to light not being able to bounce back into my location? Well... as this matter falls into a black hole it emits and incredible amount of radiation and so visible light... luckily this incredible amount of radiation is far enought to escape the black hole's gravity and reach your eyes ( the Earth in general).

Here is an example image of a quasar, the disk being the matter falling into a black hole and the black point in the middle of course being the invisible black hole:

linked-image

linked-image

The two jets you see at both poles of the black hole are incredible amount of matter being thrown out of the black hole at an amazing speed. See the black hole doesn't actually "suck" all the matter that falls into it.... part of it is thrown out of the black hole and an amazing speed, some close to the speed of light, and this is what the jets are.

Haha you look like you are a kind person....... ok.... apart from that back to topic:

Well as it has been said here before we don't actually know what happens after falling into a black hole, there have been many theories for that though, raging from wormholes, singularity, another dimension, another universe.. ect......

Ok now I will answer the question I quoted above. Well we can't actually see a black hole, remmeber a black hole is a point in space where gravity is so strong that not even light can escape, in this place in space the gravity has gone crazy, it's almost infinitly strong, so remember that thanks to light you can see objects, if there is no light you can't see... and that's why you can't see at night. The light impacts with the object and then bounces back into your eyes and that's how you see... did that make sense? Well..... gravity being so strong makes even light to fall into the black hole, that means that the light cannot travel back to your eyes so you can't see the object, the light impacts the object but intead of bouncing back it gets "sucked" into the black hole, and that's why we can't see black holes.

So now you know that you know we can't see black holes and why... so how do we detect them? We detect them due to their effects on the objects around them..... for example.. imagine you are stargazing with the world's most powerful telescope... and you see a star going incredibly fast in an elipse around a center... this could very well be a sing of a black hole.... imagine you can see even more stars orbiting incredibly fast.... close to the speed of light around this center wich of course you can't see but you have tracked observing the orbits of the other stars... this are very clear sings of a black hole....

Other ways scientist detect them is by observing the matter falling into it....... remember that in space there are points with a lot of concentrated matter..... in some of this places there are black holes, scientists observe the dense matter falling into the black holes wich falls in a kind of disk into the black hole.... this objects are called quasars ( the matter falling into the black hole in a disk shape). But of course you may ask........ how do we see this matter if eyes cannot escape the black hole and so I cannot see it due to light not being able to bounce back into my location? Well... as this matter falls into a black hole it emits and incredible amount of radiation and so visible light... luckily this incredible amount of radiation is far enought to escape the black hole's gravity and reach your eyes ( the Earth in general).

Here is an example image of a quasar, the disk being the matter falling into a black hole and the black point in the middle of course being the invisible black hole:

linked-image

linked-image

The two jets you see at both poles of the black hole are incredible amount of matter being thrown out of the black hole at an amazing speed. See the black hole doesn't actually "suck" all the matter that falls into it.... part of it is thrown out of the black hole and an amazing speed, some close to the speed of light, and this is what the jets are.

one question down.. authors question to go. :D great post though.

I was wondering, from what I read, scientists don't know what happens on the other side of the black hole once something is sucked into it. I could be totally wrong, so if it's a well known fact, please be gentle :)

If it's not a well known fact, if scientists can take pictures and see black holes, why can't they just take pictures of the other side? Wouldn't that show something going into it and be able to see what happens to it on the other side?

Black Hole is God's ass haaha, jk god

You can't send anything into a black hole to see what's on the "other side". ANYTHING that enters a black hole is annihilated. What happens to that stuff then is still a mystery in physics.

Would it be possible to have a white hole on the other side of a black hole? If a black hole sucks in matter, the white hole spits it out. I am only making a guess here based on conservation of mass and energy.

From what I understand nothing actually reaches the surface of the black hole. Everything that is drawn into the gravity well is crushed down at the event horizon. The warping of space and time at the event horizon means that time virtually stands still there and that space is near stretched to infinate. I think black holes are natures drains, where whatever goes down the well stays there.

If you want gateways, I think we should be looking into wormholes or other gravity/space controlling effects.

From what I understand nothing actually reaches the surface of the black hole. Everything that is drawn into the gravity well is crushed down at the event horizon. The warping of space and time at the event horizon means that time virtually stands still there and that space is near stretched to infinate. I think black holes are natures drains, where whatever goes down the well stays there.

If you want gateways, I think we should be looking into wormholes or other gravity/space controlling effects.

Promise you wont laugh, but your post made me think of this.

If , in a BH, time stands still, would it be possible for a BH to eventually suck in so much matter that it reaches a critical mass

& explodes ?

What i"m getting at is, No existence of time, then BANG! Big Bang theory!

Could our (& other ?) universes have been the result of BH overload ?

Hope that makes sense. :wacko::D

Well, for starters it's impossible to tell what's on the other side of a black hole because even if you were to go through one you couldn't contact Earth again. Any signals sent out through it would be caught, so in order for any practical realization to be made an entire civilization would need to be sent through the black hole, in essence wiping out an entire species and destroying one or more planets. Also, there is no chance of having a physical connection extend through the blackhole because the laws of physics we go by say that the cord tethering anything together would be torn to subatomic shreds. Really, there is no way for someone on one side of a black hole to tell what's on the other side, with the exception of traveling into and back out of one.

Speaking of Big Bang ~ anythings possible. *Sumthingnice* posted something on the previous page regarding white hole meets black hole. I can only imagine that eventually the black hole sucks everything until it meets a white hole and then BOOM! Fireworks like the 4th of July!! Does anyone know if black holes or white holes (if they exist) get any bigger?

• 2 months later...

If , in a BH, time stands still, would it be possible for a BH to eventually suck in so much matter that it reaches a critical mass

& explodes ?

Black holes will eventually suck in all matter, fuse with other black holes, sucking in all matter in the universe to a point where the singularity explouds and all sorts of matter is released in a explosion and everything starts all over agen, sound fimiliar; BIG BANG

the bad thing is there is no otherside of a black hole if you go into it every atom of you seperate before you even got inside it the inside of a black hole is just an infinte amout of mass in an infinately small space, black holes don't just suck things in the can spit out stuff they can give birth to stars and even organize entire galaxies, black holes go through "feeding cycles" as well the go through times where they suck in more stuff then usual, black holes could never explode due to their voracious appitite the more the suck in the more mas it has the more mass the bigg and stronger it becomes, there are still so many mysteries about black holes we don't know but in time past our unfortunately we will fully understand them.

You cannot take a picture of a black hole, its black, its gravity is so strong that they pull all light into them, scientists can take pictures of material falling into event horizon of the black hole (event horizon is ware their is no escape even for light), so they see matter funneling into an infinite blackness. The gravity is so strong that no light can leave the black hole.

Edited by dest_titor1

Black holes will eventually suck in all matter, fuse with other black holes, sucking in all matter in the universe to a point where the singularity explouds and all sorts of matter is released in a explosion and everything starts all over agen, sound fimiliar; BIG BANG

Dis-proven by hawking radiation, black holes degrade... and if not by hawking, then by all the matter it sucks in, it causes it to spin faster and faster until the outward force exceeds the inward force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

Speaking of Big Bang ~ anythings possible. *Sumthingnice* posted something on the previous page regarding white hole meets black hole. I can only imagine that eventually the black hole sucks everything until it meets a white hole and then BOOM! Fireworks like the 4th of July!! Does anyone know if black holes or white holes (if they exist) get any bigger?

All black holes and get larger to scale no matter the smallest amount of matter, even one particle.

White holes expel matter, so they lose mass very quickly, white holes are so unstable in theory that they must collapse into a black hole.

& explodes ?

Well, the board is out if BH can really stop time, they can however slow time down (ergospheres), See if time did stop then when it hit a certain mass in its forming then all time would stop, any matter falling into it would freeze and we could then see it, not the black hole but the matter falling in it, and, we cant. But logic tells us that when so mutch mass gathers to a point time must stop, or come withing ratios similar to 1 year 9to us) to a billion (in black hole ergosphere), which is then not possible, we would be seeing matter falling in black holes form billions of year ago, but we see smaller objects being abosrbed all the time by black holes.

I think black holes hit a certain mass and then Invert space time, creating large space on the inside and small on the outside, so the combined matter of the larger space appears to the outside as impenetrable, which is possible since only tiny particles with low mass can escape black holes, so when large particles and objects do escape their gravity is massive, destroying what ever was once in invert space.

The theory of black holes is being researched for manipulated time travel. So I'm assuming it'd look just like the first end, but just the opposite.

The only difference would probably what it would look like on the inside.