Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Death Penalty

Cercea

One thing certainly is clear...whether you're in favour of capital punishment or not, not a single person who's posted so far seems to have confidence in the current system huh.gif

Actually I have faith in the current system. Canada has no capital punishment. It was abolished many years ago.

And Fluffy? THANKS! I was beginning to sound like a broken record!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wunarmdscissor

• Seraphina

• Xenojjin

• Fluffybunny

So, on the one hand, you're saying the death penalty is inhumane...and you're not willing to take the chance of an innocent person being put to death...

Yet it's been argued that long term inprisonment should be used, because it means the criminal will 'suffer' for a longer period of time...and you ARE willing to take the chance an innocent person will be kept "in prison for life with no possibility of parole"?

It seems that either method raises equal humanitarian issues huh.gif

It seems that either method raises equal humanitarian issues

what a paradox , then again we could just have an anarchy and let everyone run free slaughtering each other ...

J/k ing tongue.gif

Nice one exodus, thanks for highlighting my point huh.gif

That is that we are not fit to decide such things.

ARE willing to take the chance an innocent person will be kept "in prison for life with no possibility of parole"?

No that isn't the case at all...

I think that a person that has been wrongly convicted(It happens all of the time) has the opportunity to have their case reviewed again and again if they are alive. I don't want anyone that is innocent to be put in jail, and if it does happen, I want them to have every opportunity to correct the injustice...

The death penalty just doesn't allow for that to happen.

The reason I mention the life without the possibility of parole is as an alternative to the folks that would like to see people put to death...Of course there are people that deserve to be put away for the rest of their days; to be seperated from the rest of humanity. That is what prisons are for...

This is true, but if the person has been sentenced to life in prison for murder, there is a very good reason to believe that that individual is guilty, especially now that DNA and forensic testing is so precise. I guess I am saying that as long as you are alive at the end of the day, that's all that matters. You can still see your family (if they still want to see you), and if you are innocent, then there is a possibility that you will be released. As long as the person cannot harm another innocent person, that's all I care about.

About parole. I think that once the person is old enough that they will not hurt anyone else, they can be released.

And don't forget, capital punishment costs money, time and resources that could be used for better things!

I just noticed what my signature said. That pretty much describes how I feel!

Edited by babyforrest

Seraphina

I wasnt being selective, you said you supported it thats the bottom line.

I am confused, what exactly is your opinion here? I mean on one hand you support it but on the other you say the system is wrong. Well how can you even support something that you believe to be inherently flawed.

When talking about supporting the death penalty you aren't just supporting the theory, your supporting the whole system and supporting it now.

So in actual fact you can't support the death penalty.

I think nearly all of us will agree that gettin rid of these people is right. It's just that we cannot correctly identify "these" people everytime.

Thats our whole argument against the death penalty. The system cannot ever be 100%.

And don't forget, capital punishment costs money, time and resources that could be used for better things!

But so too does the $10'000 or so dollars it costs to feed, monitor, care for, clean, clothe, and ensure the safety of a single person in life imprisonment, every single year.

When talking about supporting the death penalty you aren't just supporting the theory, your supporting the whole system and supporting it now.

Rubbish tongue.gif You're applying your own interpretation of the question and assuming everyone is going to share it. If you're going to try and change the question so that you can be correct, then start a new topic that suitably rephrases it.

My arguement is that I belief certain criminals should be killed to ensure they never victimise anyone else...I do not agree with the current application of it, and I don't agree with the screw ups that the law makes...however, I do believe that paying for the upkeep of murderers, rapists and child molesters is wrong, and I do not consider people who step so far out of the boundaries of society to be deserving of the rights of a member of that society.

Nxt2hvn, I'm sure you would feel differently if you were about to be executed for a crime you didn't commit.

I think being in prison or solitary connfinment is a far worse punnishment than a quick death.I also beleive some people can be rehabilitated, though some can not.

$10000 is a low estimate of what it costs to take care of an inmate each year, I have heard $35,000

The majority of the cost of having someone executed is court costs.

Oh well, not like we are ever going to be able to change anything. Why do people have to kill in the first place?

But so too does the $10'000 or so dollars it costs to feed, monitor, care for, clean, clothe, and ensure the safety of a single person in life imprisonment, every single year.

You're just not listening. Am I not saying this in a language anybody but Fluffybunny can understand?

Why do people have to kill in the first place?

Exactly

Why don't we try an find that out before WE go around killin people?

Nice one exodus, thanks for highlighting my point huh.gif

That is that we are not fit to decide such things.

no problem original.gif

You're just not listening. Am I not saying this in a language anybody but Fluffybunny can understand?

It's not a matter of not listening...it's simply that every point you're arguing could be as easily applied to the 'better methods' your proposing, as it could to the death penalty. There's no reason to be rude about it, this has been a surprisingly civil debate thus far tongue.gif

i believe in death sentences for murders rapists & child murderers i have kids if something bad happened i dont know what i'd crying.gif do

how about a stabbing chair ? similar to electric chair but with knives!???

Sorry, everyone. I wasn't trying to be rude. I should have included a tongue.gif after I typed it because I wasn't really being serious. I have stated the same argument several times in an hour. It was kind of funny. Okay, one more time! tongue.gif

Because of court appeals, capital punishment actually costs more than it would to feed, clothe, and house a criminal for life. It also ties up the court with the same case.

Therefore life in prison is a cheaper alternative to capital punishment.

ok maybe im harsh but no ones truly innocent besides kids and animals weve all done wrong once.... huh.gif