Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Home Cooks!

Melly

Attention home cooks! Do you have an old family favourite recipe that has been passed down from generation to generation? Or maybe a traditional ethnic dish that you think we would love? Let's share some good food.

Mel's Beef Stew

1/2 lb stew beef

flour, salt, pepper for dredging

few tbsp vegetable oil

2 large carrots, cut into small dice

1 large onion, cut into small dice

half bottle good red wine, any Cabernet is good

1/2 lb small new potatoes, cut in half

1 cup assorted mushrooms (porcini, white, cremini, portabella)

1 packet beef powder

enough water to cover

1. Heat the oil in a large dutch oven. Dredge the beef in the flour, salt, pepper. Brown beef (in batches) in oil.

2. Add diced carrots and onions to pot and cook til they start to soften. Add the wine and stir up the bits from the bottom of the pot. Heat til bubbly. Return beef to pot and cook for 1-2 hours til beef starts getting tender.

3. Add potatoes to beef/veg mixture, stir to combine. Add beef powder. If pot looks a little dry, add a bit of water, maybe upto a cup, enough to cook the potatoes. Cook for an additional 30 minutes, add mushrooms. Cook til potatoes and beef are tender. Total cooking time should be approximately 2.5-3 hours.

4. Serve with nice rolls (to sop up the gravy).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Melly

• my_psychosis

• Sporkling

• Ghost It Notes

Spanky's Special Chocolate Nutty Caramel Apples

2 tbsp. water

chopped nuts

4 firm apples

Baking sheets

Microwave-safe Bowls

chocolates

4 popsicle sticks

14-oz. bag caramels

Step 1) Wash apples, remove stems and dry with a kitchen towel.

Step 2) Push one stick into the centre of each apple. Push into the top of the apple, where the stem would be. Set apples aside.

Step 3) Unwrap caramels and place with the water in a large microwaveable bowl.

Step 4) Microwave on High until caramels are melted, stirring every minute.

Step 5) Remove caramel mixture from microwave.

Step 6) Hold each apple by the stick and dip into hot caramel sauce, turning to coat. Let excess drip back into pan. Scrape caramel off the bottom of the apple with a knife, or use the edge of the bowl.

Step 7) While the caramel is still warm, roll the apple in chopped nuts.

Step 8) Place coated apples on a greased baking sheet and put in refrigerator for 15 minutes or more, until caramel is set.

Step 9) After the caramel has set, drizzle the apple with melted chocolate for a special treat.

:rolleyes:

Mine is really bad for you, but my kids, their friends and my family LOVE these...

Make a jam sandwich - no butter (that's English jam, I think Americans call jam something else, is it jelly?)

Cut off crusts.

Cut into 4 triangles

Dip in batter (flour, egg and water mix, no salt)

Deep fry

Sprinkle in sugar.

et voila!

Delicious. This is on old recipe used by the Army to keep the troups topped up on energy.

Here's a yummy one for this time of year:

Pumpkin Pancakes

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1 tbsp canola oil

1 cup nonfat milk

1/3 cup pure pumpkin

Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg together in a medium bowl. Combine egg, oil, milk and pumpkin in a small bowl. Stir pumpkin mixture into dry ingredients. Leave to stand for five minutes.

For each pancake, scoop 1/4 cup of batter on to a hot griddle or nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray.

Turn pancakes when bubbles appear and edges are cooked, after about 2 minutes. Cook for 1 1/2 minutes on second side.

Oh my goodness...I'm drooling lol. Anything with pumpkin gets my vote :D.

This is an Indonesian cuisine from West Sumatra, Padang. It's a spicy beef cutlets. I like this very much and you can measure yourself the spicyness to taste by reducing or ading the amount of the red chilli pepper. Best to eat with Rice, or you can also try to mix this with Risotto.

Rendang

Ingredients: 2 lb of beef, 20 pieces of shallots, 10 pieces of garlic, 150 gram red chilli pepper, 50 gram ginger, 10 pieces of clove leaves, 60 gr turmeric, 300 gr candle nut, 5 bay (laurel) leaves, 8 cups of thick coconut milk, 8 cups of thin coconut milk.

Direction:

Cut beef into several-bite sized pieces, and boil until half done

Skin shallots, garlic, and mix with chili, ...

Brown this spice mix for a few minutes

Boil beef and this spice mix in the thin coconut milk

Put in bay(laurel) leaves

Boil until dry

Add thick coconut milk, boil until coconut milk dries while mixing it occassionally

Enjoy!

Edited by capoeiranger

I love recipes. I hope more people add some. I would but when I cook I never measure and I add + delete stuff each time. I only follow a recipe the first time then change it there after. I guess I could try to explain one. Beef roast with Dill sour cream gravy. Brown a beef roast, add a little water and about a tbl spoon vinegar, some dill weed and whatever sounds good. Cook in oven or crock pot till almost done then add carrots, potatoes, onions, turnips, whatever you like. Strain the juices out and add some sour cream, more dill, and a thickener to make gravy. mmmmm

OMG - This is sooooooooo easy and sooooooooo good.

Take a box of instant stuffing mix.

Mix in bowl with a can of chicken broth.

Add a stick of melted butter.

Brown a pound of crumbled mild sausage and add.

Add a cup of crushed pecans.

Whip three eggs and stir in.

Spray baking dish and pour in.

Bake at 350 degrees until brown on top, about 20 to 30 minutes depending on how soupy mixture was.

Melt apple or apricot jelly and use brush to put a light glaze on the top.

2 salmon filets (approx. 1/2 lb each)

olive oil

tartar sauce

A quick and easy dish that requires very little effort. It works best with fresh salmon purchased the same day you plan to eat it.

Put salmon filets in a glass baking dish. Drizzle a little olive oil over the filets and flip them over a couple of times to spread the oil and get a little oil on the bottom of the baking dish and the under side of the filets.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-30 minutes depending on the thickness of the filets. You want them to be cooked until they start to flake and become opaque inside, but don't dry them out.

Serve with tartar sauce and carrot salad.

Edited by cryingwoe

Mine is really bad for you, but my kids, their friends and my family LOVE these...

Make a jam sandwich - no butter (that's English jam, I think Americans call jam something else, is it jelly?)

Cut off crusts.

Cut into 4 triangles

Dip in batter (flour, egg and water mix, no salt)

Deep fry

Sprinkle in sugar.

et voila!

Delicious. This is on old recipe used by the Army to keep the troups topped up on energy.

:huh: we won the war so it must be good :lol:

In Japanese restaurant, of course you can have a horseradish with beef, and when I was in the Netherlands, my host family's favorite food is whatever cooked with apple sauce.

In the UK we have apple sauce with pork, horseradish with beef, mint sauce with lamb, etc. would this be the norm in other countries?

I think that's fairly traditional everywhere. I LOVE horseradish with my roast beef. I don't like lamb, though. It has a rank odour..ick.

Melly my sweet I love the thread and I would love to come over to cook for you any day.

I love cooking fresh prawns; I marinate them with hot sweet chilly and garlic, and then throw them on the Barbie.

I follow up with Lobster mornay, I steam the lobster, slice in half, marinate the meat with a mornay sauce, then repack the shell, and put on shredded extra tasty cheese on top as well as granula parmesans cheese placed under the grill, till it is a nice golden brown. B)

I usually cook this every Friday or Saturday anyway, so if anyone wants they came come around they can, unless I am am skydiving, sorry, better check first.

Melly my sweet I love the thread and I would love to come over to cook for you any day.

I love cooking fresh prawns; I marinate them with hot sweet chilly and garlic, and then throw them on the Barbie.

I follow up with Lobster mornay, I steam the lobster, slice in half, marinate the meat with a mornay sauce, then repack the shell, and put on shredded extra tasty cheese on top as well as granula parmesans cheese placed under the grill, till it is a nice golden brown. B)

I usually cook this every Friday or Saturday anyway, so if anyone wants they came come around they can, unless I am am skydiving, sorry, better check first.

*drools* You had me at prawns......;)

Wow...I completely forgot what I was going to say....oh yeh!! Roast Beef and Gravy:

Simple, yet yummy way to make your next roast with special gravy. Brown your roast in a dutch oven, round would do nicely, in a few tablespoons of vegetable oil. Roughly chop 2-3 carrots and a large onion, not too small of a chop, make it chunky. Pour in a bottle of your favourite red wine. Again, I like Merlot or Cabernet. Add a bay leaf, touch of salt and pepper. Cook the roast for a good 2-3 hours, turning it around every so often. Once the roast is done, remove the meat and let it rest, reserving the cooking liquid and veggies. Pour some of the liquid into a blender along with the carrots and onion. Puree until smooth. Add more liquid if carrot mixture is too thick, you want it slightly pourable. Once pureed to perfection, return it to remaining liquid and stir. You have a smooth, lump free gravy, no thickening required. Serve with your favourite sides.

Edited by Melly

Seafood Pasta Salad

~1 bx. of dry pasta

~Green onions/Scallions

~Grape or Roma tomatoes

~Shrimp

~Crabmeat

~Lobster

~Parsley

~Onion Powder

~Garlic Powder

~Salt/Pepper

~Mayonaise

Boil the pasta, drain and set aside. Chop the parsley, tomatoes, scallions and the seafood up and add to the pasta. Add the seasonings and maynaise to your taste. Let chill completely through or even better overnight.

DELICIOUS!

I cook for a living so giving away recipes is generally frowned apon, however I will be checking back on this thread regularly so I guess I had best contribute something.

With Summer apon us in the Southern hemisphere and the festive season begining it's warm up period I have the perfect recipe for entertaining friends.

Fresh fruit/ served with a Baileys cream dip. (contains alcohol)

Easy as... Take equal portions of

cream

cream cheese

and

Baileys (or other Irish coffee liquor)

Mix through chill over night and serve with fresh fruit. Partcularly citrus fruits and firm melons.

Mangoes and Canteloup are my favorite but Mandarines, Pineapple and Strawberries are just as delicous. Can also be served with Chocolate Buttons for that really naughty taste sensation.

Variations include adding mint or a dash of Galiano.

Enjoy and Merry Festive Season to you all. :)

American Thanksgiving is tomorrow...I've been cooking all day! I've made: 2 pumpkin pies, 2 Dutch Apple pies, a double batch of home made dark chocolate with orange essence brownies, and a double batch of oatmeal raisin cookies....Phew! Tomorrow I do the whole turkey dinner thing! After all this I'm not so sure I'll ever want to cook again!

Here's a sure fire crowd pleaser, Pumpkin Custard Pie

Make your favorite crust (bottom only, I do a whole wheat variety)

Heat the oven to 450 F

In a large bowl mix the following:

1 can solid pack pumpkin

1 pint of cream or 1 can of condensed milk (for those who need to watch their fats)

1 cup of sugar

3 whole eggs or 3/4 cup Egg Beaters (once again for the fats issue)

2 Tablespoons vanilla extract

2 teaspoons of cinnamon (nutmeg as well if you like the stuff...I really don't!)

Mix it all until smooth, pour into pie shell and bake for 15 minutes at the 450 F. After the 15 minutes decrease the temp to 350 F and continue to cook for about 40 to 45 minutes more.

Cool and serve with whipped cream...it's heaven on Earth!

Hello.

Get some steak.

It can be frying stk, sirloin stk, stewing stk....it doesn"t matter, it"s the flavour that counts!

Some extra virgin olive oil.

Some french mustard.

Some White Wine Vinegar.

Some Black Pepper.

Some Salt.

Right, are ya ready ?

Ingredients & their ammounts are up to your own personal tastes.

Grab everything except the steak.

Chuck it in your blender.

Whiz it around untill it"s all sloppy.

Put the sloppy stuff & the steak into a plastic bag & give it a good shaking!!!

Let it marinate for about 4 hours.

Put it on BbQ sticks & cook till you"re happy with it.

Sit back and go uuuuuummmmmmm :D

This is one I always get asked the recipe for.

Broccoli Cornbread

2 stks butter or margarine

16 oz cottage cheese

8 eggs

1 onion chopped (optional)

1 bag of broccoli florets cut into smaller pieces

2 bx jiffy mix

Pre heat oven 375.

Mix all ingredients together pour into greased pan.

Bake for 1 hr.

Enjoy!! :D

.Aussie Damper. "That Nan Built"

Tis basic but tasty with the right toppings.

1 1/4 Selfraising flour

1/4 of a cup of sugar

Generous pinch of salt (add salt only if using butter)

1 leval tblsp of butter or margarine

Give or take 1 1/3 of a cup of water,

Splash of milk

* Stift flour, rub butter/marg in then add the liquids.

Must be sticky and placed on a greased pan as a whole clump, dont airate to much.

Cook for about awww, 25 to 35 mins, till golden.

(Keep your eye on it, when it smells good Its done)

Serve with any sort of Jam, syrup, must have cream(yum) or can be used "like" corn bread to be dipped in soups or stews.

-------

.My Makeshift Gravy, throw it all in.

A Little butter, olive oil so as to not burn the minced garlic, sautee.

Gravox, mix well and half thicken.

Add chopped mushrooms, slightly simmer till softened.

Then add the cracked pepper, simmer some more then add the cream. *droolz*