Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Home Cooks!

Melly

Okay i know im necro posting but its only two months sooo not to bad and im in need of some ideas .

Heres the problem , Ive three kids all under 7 the youngest being 14 months . and yep you guessed they all like different stuff . one loves cheese the rest hate it , one loves bacon not the others . and the list goes on . We seem to be cooking three different meals per night . and being a mum to three and a student and part time work its quite hectic and no time to prepare three seperate meals .

All my kids love vegetables and fruit pretty much any veg including greens so they are good like that . but i want some ideas for kids meals that incorporate veg and meat and fish that are quick and easy and taaste good and also that the kids can help too cook . but the usual roast dinner gets boring even though its a firm favourite . i want something new.

See they werent much into helping me cook before buti think i peaked their interest a little the other day we made chicken and pinapple couldron and they loved it . partly cause they made it . So any quick tasty easy recipes designed with kids in mind would be great thanks for any help in advance .!!!!!!!!

Ive scoured loads of recipe books but its hard to find stuff thats fun and healthy and easy .

SS79

Edited by SS79

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Melly

• my_psychosis

• Sporkling

• Ghost It Notes

Okay i know im necro posting but its only two months sooo not to bad and im in need of some ideas .

Heres the problem , Ive three kids all under 7 the youngest being 14 months . and yep you guessed they all like different stuff . one loves cheese the rest hate it , one loves bacon not the others . and the list goes on . We seem to be cooking three different meals per night . and being a mum to three and a student and part time work its quite hectic and no time to prepare three seperate meals .

All my kids love vegetables and fruit pretty much any veg including greens so they are good like that . but i want some ideas for kids meals that incorporate veg and meat and fish that are quick and easy and taaste good and also that the kids can help too cook . but the usual roast dinner gets boring even though its a firm favourite . i want something new.

See they werent much into helping me cook before buti think i peaked their interest a little the other day we made chicken and pinapple couldron and they loved it . partly cause they made it . So any quick tasty easy recipes designed with kids in mind would be great thanks for any help in advance .!!!!!!!!

Ive scoured loads of recipe books but its hard to find stuff thats fun and healthy and easy .

SS79

I really liked this site when my boys were little..http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf It made things a lot more simple and interesting. Good luck! GIN

I really liked this site when my boys were little..http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf It made things a lot more simple and interesting. Good luck! GIN

Great .

That isnt a site i had come across . Looks good . Thanks :)

That's a site I do refer to quite often. Only in Canada kraftcanada.ca. It really helps when you're stuck and only have what's in your cupboard with which to prepare a meal. Good luck :)

there are some great ones you guys have posted.

I'm not ready to reveal my chili to the world yet, I'm well known for it :D

But....I love chili....c'mon!! You know you want to ;) That is one of the few things that I can't seem to get the hang of. Everytime I try to make it, it ends up tasting like spaghetti sauce with kidney beans :huh:

This I seem to make a lot. I use leftover rice from supper and I never really use an exact recipe. I just pour, stir, look, pour a little more, stir, look again then throw it in the oven :)

Rice Pudding

2 cups cooked white rice (approx. I make 3 cups for dinner but only two people eating, you get plenty of leftover)

Add two eggs, stir it up. Sprinkle in some sugar, maybe 1 cup. It depends on your desired level of sweetness. I don't like it overly sweet as sometimes I would add a bit of syrup later or fruit.

Pour in enough milk to make it sort of like a thick rice soup. Not too liquidy (unless you like it like that).

If you have it, a vanilla bean. Split the bean in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Stir it until you can see the specks evenly throughout. It adds a nice natural scent and flavour to the pudding. Extract is also good. Maybe a teaspoon.

Sprinkle the top with a bit of cinnamon and bake at 350F for about 30-40 mins or until it's pretty thick and the top has a nice golden colour to it. Stir it every once in a while so it stays mixed.

Enjoy :)

Aww! But since you started it...I won't reveal my locally famous chili yet either! :P

next time i'm up your way i'll drop you off some melly, how about that? :D

whooohooo! Awesome :D *confetti*

Pirogies. I never measure just go by taste.

About 7 russet potatoes

about 1/2 a pound of bacon cooked and crumbled

1 to 1 and a 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar

1/2 to 1 stick of butter

1 minced onion

garlic powder

salt

pepper

Won ton skins.

oil for deep frying

Peel and cut potatoes, boil tell tender. Drain and mash, add other ingredients except the won ton skins and oil. Just taste as you go. Make a small ball of potato mix. (a melon baller makes a good size) put a ball on a won ton skin wet the edges of the won ton and fold over into a triangle and press closed. Take a fork and press the tines along the edges to help seal it tight. Deep fry till brown. YUMMY :yes:

Everybody Ive made these for just loves them.

Pirogies. I never measure just go by taste.

About 7 russet potatoes

about 1/2 a pound of bacon cooked and crumbled

1 to 1 and a 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar

1/2 to 1 stick of butter

1 minced onion

garlic powder

salt

pepper

Won ton skins.

oil for deep frying

Peel and cut potatoes, boil tell tender. Drain and mash, add other ingredients except the won ton skins and oil. Just taste as you go. Make a small ball of potato mix. (a melon baller makes a good size) put a ball on a won ton skin wet the edges of the won ton and fold over into a triangle and press closed. Take a fork and press the tines along the edges to help seal it tight. Deep fry till brown. YUMMY :yes

Woah! That sounds too good and soooo fattening! This would be very good for people who are very active. I used to be. Waah! I might have to try these since my husband is 16 years my junior and nice and thin.( damn his skinny ass!) He would really enjoy a new taste like this. Thanks!

All right you asked for it.

Its a simple very easy recipe

Take one or two or three eggs and beat it, And put in frying pan. Wait till its cooked put it on the plate.

And its done.

Ok its not done. Then take tomatoes, potATOES LUNCHEON MEAT, HAM, And whatever you can get your hands on, Then fry them ALL until COOKED Then well, pour it inside the egg and you have a meal.

Breaded Pork Chops

( very tender cause gran has no teeth )

as many chops as you like and doesn't matter the cut.

a couple of eggs mixed in a shallow dish large enough to accomodate the chop.

flour enough to coat in a bag ( seasoned as you like. we use garlic salt , pepper - whatever you wish)

oil for frying

baking dish with rack - or on oven rack with pan with water to catch drippings ( water keeps it from smoking)

coat chops with flour --- dip in egg -- return to flour. you can do this again for thicker coats. Don't do all chops at once or they can get gummy from waiting thier turn to fry.

sear chops on both sides in frying pan with hot oil til brown and transfer to rack.

bake in over at 350 for about 45 minutes. or until tender.

note --- if you can make alot , do. then you can freeze what is left over for easy meals later.

and for perogies - we always make our dough by hand. 2 cups flour to 1 cup liquid. bit of salt . and we also make kraut , pot and cheeze , farmers cheese , ect ...... and we make stuffed cabbage . I hate cooking for x mas for gran.

Grandma loves them !!

Edited by Lt_Ripley

Breaded Pork Chops

( very tender cause gran has no teeth )

as many chops as you like and doesn't matter the cut.

a couple of eggs mixed in a shallow dish large enough to accomodate the chop.

flour enough to coat in a bag ( seasoned as you like. we use garlic salt , pepper - whatever you wish)

oil for frying

baking dish with rack - or on oven rack with pan with water to catch drippings ( water keeps it from smoking)

coat chops with flour --- dip in egg -- return to flour. you can do this again for thicker coats. Don't do all chops at once or they can get gummy from waiting thier turn to fry.

sear chops on both sides in frying pan with hot oil til brown and transfer to rack.

bake in over at 350 for about 45 minutes. or until tender.

note --- if you can make alot , do. then you can freeze what is left over for easy meals later.

and for perogies - we always make our dough by hand. 2 cups flour to 1 cup liquid. bit of salt . and we also make kraut , pot and cheeze , farmers cheese , ect ...... and we make stuffed cabbage . I hate cooking for x mas for gran.

Grandma loves them !!

Da*n, I just remembered that I had purchased and stored pork chops in my freezer since your thread "Calling all Cooks" and have forgotten about them -Gawd! They've been sitting there since last year -Sept./Oct. ish!

I wanted to give it a try, do you know if they are still good to cook?

Here's a recipe a co-worker gave to me years ago:

Pizza Casserole

1 lb. hamburger

2 cans Frito-Lay cheddar cheese dip

1 can pizza sauce

9 lasagna noodles

2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Cook lasagna noodles according to directions. Meanwhile, brown hamburger in skillet until no longer pink; drain fat. Add the cheddar cheese dip and heat through. Drain lasagna noodles when tender. Place one layer (3) of lasagna noodles in a 9x13 baking dish, then place 1/3 of the hamburger/cheese mixture over the noodles, then 1/3 of the pizza sauce. Then add 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat the noodles, hamburger mixture, pizza sauce and cheese until you have 3 layers. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until cheese is slightly browned. The great thing about this recipe is you can play around with the ingredients to suit your taste. Basically whatever you like on pizza. I've used italian sausage instead of hamburger, added mushrooms and pepperoni. Other times I've added more sauce, mixed half hamburger and sausage, added chopped green pepper. The possiblities are endless! :)

Edited by tcgram

• 1 month later...

INGREDIENTS

4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped

1/2 cup butter

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup cocoa powder

3 eggs, beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch round cake pan, and dust with cocoa powder.

In the top of a double boiler over lightly simmering water, melt chocolate and butter. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, cocoa powder, eggs, and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Slices can also be reheated for 20 to 30 seconds in the microwave before serving.