Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pentagon Demands Wounded Soldier

Lt_Ripley

Pentagon Demands Wounded Soldier Return Re-enlistment Bonus

By Spencer Ackerman - November 20, 2007, 4:42PM

Just in time for the holidays, there's a special place in Hell just waiting to be filled by "some as-yet-unknown" Pentagon bureaucrat. Apparently, thousands of wounded soldiers who served in Iraq are being asked to return part of their enlistment bonuses -- because their injuries prevented them from completing their tours. From Pittsburgh's KDKA:

One of them is Jordan Fox, a young soldier from the South Hills.

He finds solace in the hundreds of boxes he loads onto a truck in Carnegie. In each box is a care package that will be sent to a man or woman serving in Iraq. It was in his name Operation Pittsburgh Pride was started.

Fox was seriously injured when a roadside bomb blew up his vehicle. He was knocked unconscious. His back was injured and lost all vision in his right eye.

A few months later Fox was sent home. His injuries prohibited him from fulfilling three months of his commitment. A few days ago, he received a letter from the military demanding nearly $3,000 of his signing bonus back.

"I tried to do my best and serve my country. I was unfortunately hurt in the process. Now they're telling me they want their money back," he explained.

Perversely, President Bush phoned Fox's mother to ask after Fox in May. Now his administration is taking money out of the pockets of wounded veterans like him.

Back in October, Rep. Jason Altmire (D-PA) introduced a bill, the Veterans Guaranteed Bonus Act, that would require the Pentagon to pay bonuses to wounded vets in full within 30 days after discharge for combat-related wounds. Back then, the Pentagon's flack vaguely assured The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, "We are going to give our wounded warriors and their families what they need to recover and return to duty or private life." But apparently the policy has yet to change. It seems that the enlistment contract that at least some troops sign (whether it's service-specific is unclear) allows for withholding some of the signing bonus if a tour isn't completed. We're in touch with the Pentagon to clear this up, and we'll let you know as soon as we do.

Thanks to TPM Reader DB.

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/004754.php

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bathory

• fylgja

• Lt_Ripley

• Bob26003

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in time for the holidays, there's a special place in Hell just waiting to be filled by "some as-yet-unknown" Pentagon bureaucrat. Apparently, thousands of wounded soldiers who served in Iraq are being asked to return part of their enlistment bonuses -- because their injuries prevented them from completing their tours.

How long until the NeoCon mouth pieces are saying wounded soldiers are "anti-american" or "in bed with islamo-fascists" and are preventing us from "finnishing what we started". I suspect people like Rush Limpdough will say these wounded soldiers are "fakers", "con-men" and or "cowards".

How long until the NeoCon mouth pieces are saying wounded soldiers are "anti-american" or "in bed with islamo-fascists" and are preventing us from "finnishing what we started". I suspect people like Rush Limpdough will say these wounded soldiers are "fakers", "con-men" and or "cowards".

this is unthinkable...I can see asking michael vick for the signing bonus back, but this is despicable...i think i need a shower after reading the latest from the pentagon...your right midge..they are just fakers..

p*** off

how long until the leftwing members of this board go back to calling the soldiers state sponsored terrorists who kill iraqis for the fun of it?

feign concern when its usefull, nice work.

Me? I'm outraged that they would be treated in such a manner by the pentagon and hope its rectified, as i'm sure most people would be (including the neocons)

but sure, keep up with the whole evil horned neocon menace, apparently they breath fire and cause cancer

The military always pulls stuff like this at first just to see what they can get away with. They will not enforce it at all. They tried to bill us for my husbands half a year stay in a military hospital, including thousands for a hypobarrick chamber. We just called and talked to them and they fixed it. I think some people jump the gun with this sort of thing.

these things sound like some low level guy merely acting within the 'rules' instead of taking it too a higher up official to have the rules bent.

these things sound like some low level guy merely acting within the 'rules' instead of taking it too a higher up official to have the rules bent.

Because we all know how bent the higher up officials are? Why didn't Lynndie England think of that...?

Why would someone acting within the rules need some higher up to bend anything?

Because we all know how bent the higher up officials are? Why didn't Lynndie England think of that...?

Why would someone acting within the rules need some higher up to bend anything?

huh?

i mean administrative rules to make things 'fair'

well you know who gets the blame for that ? Bush. This is what happens when you illegally invade a country where there were no al qeada to begin with.

secondly ---- it's funny to see cons getting PO'd at liberals for what the Pentagon is doing to these soldiers !!!! talk about backwards --- again the con support of the troops is twisted. Support them getting killed ....... but not for bringing them home or their treatment and benefits afterwards.

and I'm sure it didn't bother you to see *KBR firing on innocent civilians on the freeway and laughing about it ?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWE5hu4z_8Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWE5hu4z_8Y</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEyPRBN4B-E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEyPRBN4B-E</a>

* the military has says it was private contractors while KBR says it was the military.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

I have already seen a few RightWingers on this board say that taking care of veterans is just a Gov. handout.........

I have already seen a few RightWingers on this board say that taking care of veterans is just a Gov. handout.........

Fortunatly those people are not in a position of power where their opinions matter much. They are few and far between. The military and VA has made sure my family needs for nothing. We are well taken care of.

Fortunatly those people are not in a position of power where their opinions matter much. They are few and far between. The military and VA has made sure my family needs for nothing. We are well taken care of.

but that isn't true of all military families.

but that isn't true of all military families.

That is true, but it takes them awhile to get through the system. Now that vietnam vets are getting too retirement age many of them feel they deserve a military pension just because they served, even though they are not disabled. This puts a strain on the system and makes it difficult for the really disabled vets to get pushed through the system. It also helps to have the DAV on your side, and they will respresent any veteran who asks.

Actually, it seems that these are the people in a position of power. Bush has been repeatedly bashed by the Vets organizations for making cuts and not providing adequate funding.

Also, the Walter Reed scandal and I keep hearing about these guys coming back from Iraq unable to get the treatment they need.........

Also, 1/4 of all our homeless are Vets.

And all this comes on the heels of ol Rummy sending em in without adequate body armor and equiptment.

Edited by Bob26003