Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Condemn the Bush Labor Board's Assault on

Bob26003

http://changetowinaction.org/campaign/cond...200711_nlrb_web

Condemn the Bush Labor Board's Assault on Workers

Icon

FDR passed the National Labor Relations Act to protect workers.

Now George Bush has packed the Labor Board with his cronies – and they’re serving corporate interests at the expense of workers.

Join Change to Win in condemning Bush’s Labor Board and demanding that it protect workers!

Full Petition Text:

DECLARATION CONDEMNING BUSH LABOR BOARD DECISIONS AND DEMANDING A RETURN TO THE PRINCIPLES OF THE NLRA

In a massive assault on workers, the Bush-appointed majority of the National Labor Relations Board issued a sweeping set of decisions in September 2007 -- the September Massacre -- denying basic worker rights and protections with blatantly biased decision-making. Through these and prior decisions, the Bush Board has violated its statutory duty to protect workers and has instead subordinated the public interest to corporate interests.

The National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) declares that it is "the policy of the United States" to encourage "the practice and procedure of collective bargaining" and to protect "the exercise by workers of full freedom of association, self-organization, and designation of representatives of their own choosing." The Act promotes the economic well-being of workers by counter-balancing the power of large corporate employers with worker organizations.

The Bush Board's September decisions strip workers of their rights. They establish new rules that deny workers the right to organize through freely signed authorization cards but allow employers to withdraw recognition based on identical or even less reliable signed writings.

They make it harder to obtain effective remedies against illegal employer conduct and cheaper for employers to violate the law; easier for employers to discriminate against employees or job applicants who are also union organizers; easier for employers to deny jobs to employees who exercise their right to strike; easier for employers to file lawsuits in retaliation against protected union activity; and easier for employers to target union supporters for layoffs. More than half of the cases demonstrate delays of four to as much as eighteen years, many without final remedies even now.

This government-sanctioned assault has put the American Dream at risk for American workers. Today, fewer and fewer workers are able to exercise their right to have a union. The result is unprecedented income and wealth inequality, stagnant wages and more Americans without health insurance or retirement benefits. And for the first time, Americans don't believe the next generation will be better off.

We condemn the Bush Board's anti-worker decisions. It is time to return to responsible, non-partisan decision-making and to the principles embodied in the Act that many of us have spent a lifetime upholding.

We declare our support for the fundamental principle that worker rights are human rights. It is just as objectionable to allow corporations to pursue a so-called "union-free workplace" as it would be to allow corporations to establish a woman-free workplace or a minority-free workplace. It is time to restore the fundamental principles of our basic labor law -- to protect worker rights and to give workers a free and fair opportunity to improve their lives by bargaining collectively through their unions.

Signed by:

[Your name]

[Your address]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bob26003

• Michelle

• Fluffybunny

• Lt_Ripley

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

While you are so worried about union free workplaces bush has been busy sending millions upon millions of jobs overseas taking away the manufacturing base that once made this country strong. Bush is wrong for making that happen and the unions that have become far too powerful have no one to blame but themselves; they have leveraged themselves out of work that other people are going to be able to do for less at better quality.

There was a time when unions had it right; they were looking out for workers best interest and keeping them safe. Now unions best interest are in keeping the union safe and profitable.

The unions have screwed the worker and so has bush, and everyone is surprised when jobs go overseas and Americans are forced into a service economy that cant stand for very long.

So Unions have screwed the worker eh Fluffy.

Are you suggesting we should get paid what they do in the third world?

That's what it sounds like to me.

Because that is what it would take...................

Edited by Bob26003

You are so right, Fluffy....

I have not been popular at home for saying the same thing about unions. They have an ugly and tainted history of senseless viloence and outlandish demands and are no longer beneficial. They have, in themselves, caused many companies to move out of the country.

Without Unions we would have child labor, no workplace safety standards, and a 75 hr work week for peanuts.

Unions have not caused the outsourcing. We have like 10% of the Unions we did in 1970.

The only way to compete in this pro outsourcing environment would be for Americans to work for peanuts.

Is that what you two are suggesting?

Destroying the American standard of living?

So Unions have screwed the worker eh Fluffy.

That's what it sounds like to me.

No it wouldnt. Not even close. Had our greedy government and lazy employees not continually dug into proifitable businesses(until they werent) to get all they could out of them, then this would not have been an issue. People could have had a fair wage and decent working conditions for their job. People get greedy though and do not understand what a fair wage is.

You are forgetting that most of the manufacturing base was already here, already running. The demands made on business owners on all sides(taxes, licensing, legal issues, regulations of all types...) and unions being the biggest in my opinion, made such a huge chasm between what it takes to make a product here in the US in an establed market and what it would take to start fresh such an obvious choice that people in the business of profit did what they do; they went to make a profit.

The hard working Americans that came out out the greatest generation developed a structure and economy that worked and then people got greedier and weaker as time went by. People wanted more money and benefits for less work. The government stepped in and regulated and taxed and licensed and made it so difficult for the average business to make a profit that a lot just didnt...Businesses are getting squeezed on both sides.

Unions are in the business of keeping the union in business, period. They will do what the workers ask of them as long as it asssures their future income and power structure. Unfortunately They have screwed the American worker and lobbied to give them more and more for less and less.

A great example; in my small town there is a plant that makes different chemicals for food additives. They have a janitor. He cleans things, mops floors, typical janitor stuff. he doesnt have to deal with any chemicals, doesnt have to do anything other than what a school janitor would do. Mop, sweep, dust. He isnt exposed to anything dangerous, he works a normal 9-5 schedule has wonderful benefits and a great retirement package. Do you know how much the janitor makes? 25.00 an hour. To mop. To sweep. To dust. That same job next door pays 9.00 per hour. That is the going rate for those kind of services. It is just outragous.

That is because that is what his union bargained for and it was part of a bigger package that they agreed to. That is just one example of many. Unions bleed companies dry, governments bleed companies dry, workers (in general)bleed companies dry and feel they deserve more for less.

Without Unions we would have child labor, no workplace safety standards, and a 75 hr work week for peanuts.

Unions have not caused the outsourcing. We have like 10% of the Unions we did in 1970.

The only way to compete in this pro outsourcing environment would be for Americans to work for peanuts.

I have worked for unions in the past and well never really felt the benifit. Right now I'm working with out a union and hmmm feels no deffirent except my boss is more of a person. Unions tend to drive a wall between managment and the worker.

The way to compete with outsourcing is to stop strangling businesses at every turn.

Workers would not have to work for peanuts, that is just hyteria on your part. Our government and too many lazy employees have placed too much of a burden on businesses to pay too much money for everything. We need to stop that.

We stop squeezing the money out of the businesses, making it near impossible to do business in this country and make a profit.

I don't buy that fluffy. you are painting the whole scenario with a broad brush.

What it comes down to, is that corporations are greedy, they have no sense of patriotism or loyalty. They are in it to make the buck.

And if they can employ slave labor and up the profits, meanwhile screwing Americans, then they will do it.

Many European nations still have a manufacturing base and Unions.

To blame this on the Unions is just a cheapshot way of blaming the American worker IMO.

It is the Corporations who lobby for pro outsourcing laws, and the politicians who allow it to happen.

Edited by Bob26003

The way to compete with outsourcing is to stop strangling businesses at every turn.

Workers would not have to work for peanuts, that is just hyteria on your part. Our government and too many lazy employees have placed too much of a burden on businesses to pay too much money for everything. We need to stop that.

We stop squeezing the money out of the businesses, making it near impossible to do business in this country and make a profit.

How could an American worker ever compete with a third world worker who will give 8-10 hard labor for 2 Dollars?

Organized labor is the reason we have a middle class.

Edited by Bob26003

To blame this on the Unions is just a cheapshot way of blaming the American worker IMO.

It is the Corporations who lobby for pro outsourcing laws, and the politicians who allow it to happen.

I do blame the American workers. Not all, but many...they got lazy and greedy...Unions took advantage of that. Look at the quality of American production in the 70's.. They ask for things they do not deserve and unions are more than happy to go demand it.

Outsourcing laws are just another way that your government is out to screw you; I think we both agree on that, bush has allowed the manufacturing base to go elsewhere, with nothing to replace it that will be stable for any length of time. Without a manufacting base we are lost in my opinion.

How could an American worker ever compete with a third world worker who will give 8-10 hard labor for 2 Dollars?

By not sending the job there in the first place. By making it profitable to do business in the US.

I disagree fluffy. I think bashing organized labor as the reason for outsourcing was nothing more than corporate propaganda.............

propaganda to justify hacking away at our hard won standard of living.

Without organized labor, who will protect the American worker?

The corporations and stockholders sure won't. The Gov. won't.

Edited by Bob26003

The entire premise of right wing ideology is to hack away at labor rights and civil rights.

To overturn the new deal. To bring back the robber baron days.

and they are succeeding

I'll give you another stupid example, Bob...

I can easily carry two 8 ft 2x6's balancing them, in the middle, in each hand. In a union that isn't allowed. You have to wait until someone can come and help you so there will be a person at each end of the lumber, whether it takes ten minutes or an hour. I can't finish my job until it is moved so I have to stand and wait wasting my time and the company money. So basically I get a paid break, which being in a union people won't complain, and about the time I get back to doing my job it's time for the mid morning break...all the while making 25 dollars an hour for general labor.

Coming from a family of union people, including my husband and most of our friends, I can attest to the fact that a lot of time and money is wasted.

I'll give you another stupid example, Bob...

I can easily carry two 8 ft 2x6's balancing them, in the middle, in each hand. In a union that isn't allowed. You have to wait until someone can come and help you so there will be a person at each end of the lumber, whether it takes ten minutes or an hour. I can't finish my job until it is moved so I have to stand and wait wasting my time and the company money. So basically I get a paid break, which being in a union people won't complain, and about the time I get back to doing my job it's time for the mid morning break...all the while making 25 dollars an hour for general labor.

Coming from a family of union people, including my husband and most of our friends, I can attest to the fact that a lot of time and money is wasted.

I hear you Michelle. But there is a bigger picture than that.

Without organized labor, who will protect the American worker?

The corporations and stockholders sure won't. The Gov. won't.

Edited by Bob26003

Sorry but I have to disagree with those of you who don't think unions work. Growing up around coal mining, chemical plants and an aluminum plant, I grew up and saw both sides of the issue.

Yes unions get greedy, sometimes protect people who are pulling a scam on the company claiming injuries that either don't exist or are inflated by a doctor getting a cut of the shell out. However talk to people that work in a non union plant and ask them about how wonderful it is. Sure the company gives them a bonus for so many hours without injuries, or throws them a company picnic once a year then ask them about their health care. Ask them about their retirement and what happens to it if the company goes under. Ask them if they have a grievance with a manager or other worker how it gets solved. Or if the person get hurt on the job and the company doesn't want to pay claims because they've skipped on paying their workers compensation.

Ask a union member the same question and you'll get a completely different response.

It's about checks and balances with a union. One person doesn't have to go up against the might of a company and the companies resources. If one goes they all go!

Mabon.

You are so right, Fluffy....

I have not been popular at home for saying the same thing about unions. They have an ugly and tainted history of senseless viloence and outlandish demands and are no longer beneficial. They have, in themselves, caused many companies to move out of the country.

can you give an example of outlandish demands? and before you quote the right rhetoric on auto workers . have you ever worked the line ? senseless violence ? like companies haven't killed anyone ? that's a laugh. your buying right into the corporate line.

my gran did for over 30 years . and earned every damn penney and benifit.

Ever see how hard a nurse works ? ever cared ?

Sorry but I have to disagree with those of you who don't think unions work. Growing up around coal mining, chemical plants and an aluminum plant, I grew up and saw both sides of the issue.

Yes unions get greedy, sometimes protect people who are pulling a scam on the company claiming injuries that either don't exist or are inflated by a doctor getting a cut of the shell out. However talk to people that work in a non union plant and ask them about how wonderful it is. Sure the company gives them a bonus for so many hours without injuries, or throws them a company picnic once a year then ask them about their health care. Ask them about their retirement and what happens to it if the company goes under. Ask them if they have a grievance with a manager or other worker how it gets solved. Or if the person get hurt on the job and the company doesn't want to pay claims because they've skipped on paying their workers compensation.

Ask a union member the same question and you'll get a completely different response.

It's about checks and balances with a union. One person doesn't have to go up against the might of a company and the companies resources. If one goes they all go!

Mabon.

BINGO! Its about checks and balances, that is what I have been trying to say the whole time . :lol:

If the unions hadn't gotten greedy with so much power it wouldn't have never been a problem.

can you give an example of outlandish demands? and before you quote the right rhetoric on auto workers . have you ever worked the line ? senseless violence ? like companies haven't killed anyone ? that's a laugh. your buying right into the corporate line.

I have already explained my affiliation with the union.

Please define that greed?

Mabon.

Mabon.

exactly.

Nurses generally work very hard. I see them nearly every day. They get paid incredibly well too, and have benefits far better than most jobs. So they should work hard for what thay have. It is only fair.

BINGO! Its about checks and balances, that is what I have been trying to say the whole time . :lol:

That is how it started out and that was the original intent, but that isnt the case anymore with many unions.