Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Condemn the Bush Labor Board's Assault on

Bob26003

You load 16 tons and whaddaya get??

another day older and deeper in dept

Saint Peter don'tcha call me 'Cause-

I can't go...I owe my soul to the Company Store

============

;)

KUCINICH 08!

Edited by Bob26003

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bob26003

• Michelle

• Fluffybunny

• Lt_Ripley

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob, somehow I doubt you have ever even seen a coalmine, let alone worked a long day in one.

Right now, we have the larges national debt in History.

The credit bubble is going to bust.

do you know why people are having to live off credit?

Because wages are not keeping up with inflation.

That is why we need Unions.

It used to be that a man with a job could support a family, now both parents usually have to work. And take out credit.

It is the American working family that is being attacked from every angle, not the corporations.

Bob, somehow I doubt you have ever even seen a coalmine, let alone worked a long day in one.

Never worked in a coalmine. However I have worked a couple non union factory jobs.

And let me tell you. We were abused.

When I was 18 I worked the midnight shift in a fertilizer plant tossing 60 and 80 lb bags off a conveyer belt. For minimum wage with no benefits!

And it was an unsafe environment.

There was yellow dust all over everything. Ill probably get cancer.

And I will have no legal recourse. None!

Is that what you want for Americans?

Edited by Bob26003

I'll give you another stupid example, Bob...

I can easily carry two 8 ft 2x6's balancing them, in the middle, in each hand. In a union that isn't allowed. You have to wait until someone can come and help you so there will be a person at each end of the lumber, whether it takes ten minutes or an hour. I can't finish my job until it is moved so I have to stand and wait wasting my time and the company money. So basically I get a paid break, which being in a union people won't complain, and about the time I get back to doing my job it's time for the mid morning break...all the while making 25 dollars an hour for general labor.

Coming from a family of union people, including my husband and most of our friends, I can attest to the fact that a lot of time and money is wasted.

and if you ended up hurting yourself ? that costs the company more . if you have to wait around then you need to work with your union - complain , log dates. hell bring a video recorder to work.

with the way things are going you just may get your wish and lose labor. then when you find yourself needing them you can complain .

I worked in a place that had no union when I was in collage - It's sickening to go in and hear if you can't work 12 hours that shift don't bother coming back. with 8 hours of school a day 5 days a week - 12 hour days 2-3 times a week is how I ended up getting mono , couldn't go to work or school and got fired because I couldn't work.

I could have used a union.

1806 (United States)

Commonwealth vs. Pullis was the first reported case arising from a labor strike in the United States. After a three day trial, the jury found the defendants guilty of "a combination to raise their wages".

27 April 1825 (United States)

Carpenters in Boston were the first to stage a strike for the 10-hour work-day.

3 July 1835 (United States)

Children employed in the silk mills in Paterson, New Jersey go on strike for the 11 hour day, 6 days a week.

6 October 1986 (United States)

Female flight attendants won an 18-year lawsuit against United Airlines, which had fired them for getting married. The lawsuit was resolved when a U.S. district court approved the reinstatement of 475 attendants and $37 million back-pay settlement for 1,725 flight attendants. (United Airlines, Inc. v. McDonald, 432 U.S. 385 (1977))[11] [12]

none of those things would have been possible without union.

those that bellyache about unions never had to work in terrible conditions without them. It's because of unions workplaces are better.

You know we are in a sad state of affairs when the rich have convinced people to believe that Unions are bad. :no:

You have no idea what I've done in my life and I'm under no obligation to give you my resume.

I've never worked in a union job but have heard the stories from my union family all my life. I've worked sixteen hours a day by choice when I moved out on my own and needed every dime I could get. I've never bellyached in my life. If I don't like the working conditions I find another job that treats me better. There's never been any problem finding a job for people that are willing to work hard.

There's never been any problem finding a job for people that are willing to work hard.

For peanuts?

And I will have no legal recourse. None!

Is that what you want for Americans?

You know what recourse you have as an American? If they are doing something illegal, you can contact OSHA; who have people whose only job is to inspect industrial sites for illegal acts. (Read the Code of Federal Regulations or peruse the OSHA site for the thousands of things industry is held to, just at the federal level). You can get another job. That is an option.

If it is the fact that it is hauling 80 pound bags all day long, well, that is work, its hard labor and it sucks, but it is work and it generally pays minimum wage because anyone with a strong back can do it. It shouldnt pay high wages, that is just ridiculous. It isnt computer programming. It is lifting. Just because you lift more it does not mean you get paid more; it doesnt work that way.

Bravo, Fluffy!!!

You guys are so naive.

Wait a minute. You are fireman right Fluffy?

You don't support the Fireman's Union?

You know what recourse you have as an American? If they are doing something illegal, you can contact OSHA; who have people whose only job is to inspect industrial sites for illegal acts. (Read the Code of Federal Regulations or peruse the OSHA site for the thousands of things industry is held to, just at the federal level). You can get another job. That is an option.

If it is the fact that it is hauling 80 pound bags all day long, well, that is work, its hard labor and it sucks, but it is work and it generally pays minimum wage because anyone with a strong back can do it. It shouldnt pay high wages, that is just ridiculous. It isnt computer programming. It is lifting. Just because you lift more it does not mean you get paid more; it doesnt work that way.

SARBANES-OXLEY ACT (“SOX”):

LEGAL PROTECTIONS FOR

CORPORATE WHISTLEBLOWERS

Not a single person has benefited from the Sarbanes Oxley Act anti-retaliation provisions in the five years since implementation.

Once a case is filed, OSHA reviews the allegations in the complaint to determine whether the claim should be investigated. If, on the basis of the investigation, OSHA determines that the employee was subjected to retaliation, OSHA must order the employer to provide a complete “make whole” remedy to the employee. If OSHA determines that the claim is without merit, OSHA must dismiss the action. Either an employee or employer may appeal the investigative findings. The appeal is completely de novo. If appealed, the parties are entitled to an on-the-record hearing before the DOL's Office of Administrative Law Judges (OALJ).4 Although a case is held de novo before the OALJ, a preliminary order of reinstatement issued by OSHA is immediately enforceable. Thus, if OSHA orders an employee reinstatement on the basis of an investigation alone, the employee must be immediately reinstated pending the appeal of the OSHA ruling.

http://www.whistleblowers.org/html/sox__resources.html

You guys are so naive.

You've barely made it into the real world of work and commerce.

You've barely made it into the real world of work and commerce.

Here we go. Here come the personal attacks........ from miss "I am better than everyone cause I own a business"

:rolleyes:

I believe I was the one that was told I was naive and attacked for not following the unions first.

I believe I was the one that was told I was naive and attacked for not following the unions first.

Thats not a personal attack Michelle, I just think you guys are naive as to the true nature of these CEOs etc.........

I mean, do you think they will just do what is right concerning workers out of the goodness of their heart?

What I said wasn't a personal attack either, but a fact.

There are many recourses for emplyees these days that wasn't there when the unions gained control. It's not my fault that you aren't aware of you rights in todays work place.

Edited by Michelle

oops forgot this -

Contractor Pleads Guilty to Charges Brought After

Worker’s Death

Glen Wagner and his company, Wagner Excavation Services, Inc. (WESI),

pled guilty on October 12, 2005, to charges of willful violation of OSHA

regulations causing the death of an employee. As part of the trenching work

for a contract with North Franklin Township, Pennsylvania, to install a new

storm water drainage system, WESI was required by OSHA regulations to

use trench boxes to protect workers from cave-ins when the depth of the

trench went below certain levels. Despite the warnings from OSHA of the

safety violations, several cave-ins consequently occurred, resulting in near

injuries and the death of a WESI employee.

According to the plea agreement, Wagner and WESI will pay a criminal fine

totaling $50,000 ($25,000 from each party), and pay $100,000 in civil

penalties and fines levied by OSHA. As part of the plea agreement, WESI will

participate in public service commitments designed to educate employers

about excavation work and OSHA regulations. The investigation was

conducted with OSHA. U.S. v. Wagner (W.D. Pennsylvania)

sadly someone had to die before those changes were implemented . OSHA is a joke to alot of companies.

<a href="http://www.oig.dol.gov/public/semiannuals/55.рdf" target="_blank">http://www.oig.dol.gov/public/semiannuals/55.рdf</a>

not to forget -

Killing The Country

Or at least its citizens:

That response reflects OSHA’s practices under the Bush administration, which vowed to limit new rules and roll back what it considered cumbersome regulations that imposed unnecessary costs on businesses and consumers. Across Washington, political appointees — often former officials of the industries they now oversee — have eased regulations or weakened enforcement of rules on issues like driving hours for truckers, logging in forests and corporate mergers.

Since George W. Bush became president, OSHA has issued the fewest significant standards in its history, public health experts say. It has imposed only one major safety rule. The only significant health standard it issued was ordered by a federal court.

If you want an example of the perfect BushCo™ drone you'd have a hard time finding a better example than Edwin G. Foulke Jr.:

Mr. Foulke, the OSHA chief, has a history of opposing regulations produced by the agency he now leads. He has described himself as a “true Ronald Reagan Republican” who “firmly believes in limited government.” Before coming to Washington last year, Mr. Foulke, a former Republican Party state chairman in South Carolina and top political fund-raiser, worked in Greenville, S.C., for a law firm that advises companies on how to avoid union organizing. Representing the United States Chamber of Commerce, he had testified before Congress several times to promote voluntary OSHA compliance programs. He also opposed the ergonomics standards.

<a href="http://sporkinthedrawer.typepad.com/blog/corruption/index.html" target="_blank">http://sporkinthedrawer.typepad.com/blog/c...tion/index.html</a>

Edited by Lt_Ripley

What I said wasn't a personal attack either, but a fact.

There are many recourses for emplyees these days that wasn't there when the unions gained control. It's not my fault that you aren't aware of you rights in todays work place.

obviously you haven't read what I've found on OSHA -

and what other recourses are there ?

Thats not a personal attack Michelle, I just think you guys are naive as to the true nature of these CEOs etc.........

I mean, do you think they will just do what is right concerning workers out of the goodness of their heart?

And even if some would, what about the ones that wouldn't and wouldn't give a fig if a person looses a body part in a machine expect that it held up production that day?

Workers regardless of their background or job deserve a voice.

Ripley good finds!

Yes those laws on the books to protect the worker are really useful. LOL!

Mabon.

If I may add my two cents, both Fluffy and Bob got something there. On the one hand there are the Unions, who, while trying to get the best deal for the workers, have lost track of the big picture. On the other hand there is the Capital. Both contributed too the demise of Americas economy. And the one less to blame is the Capital, because to the contrary of all others it never claimed to be doing anything for anybody but itself.

The blame to be put on those who make capital's decisions is that they were too greedy to understand that capitalism only works as long as the majority benefits from it. The blame to be put on the Unions is that they did not understand that Capital was loosing its bearing.

The politicians are merely statisticians in this drama, neither their decisions nor their input will have any bearing on the big picture. That is why it is totally irrelevant to blame Dubya or praise Clinton or whathaveyou. And that includes Bush's Labor Board, no matter what they do they are just extras in this film.

obviously you haven't read what I've found on OSHA -

and what other recourses are there ?

I did read what was highly publicized in your post, but that doesn't even touch the tip of the iceberg. Most of these things are discretely settled out of court so, as not to put a blemish on the companies record, through their insurance. That in itself can bankrupt a company when they can no longer be insured.

michele, I dont get it. Are you supporting the destruction of the American middle class?

If I may add my two cents, both Fluffy and Bob got something there. On the one hand there are the Unions, who, while trying to get the best deal for the workers, have lost track of the big picture. On the other hand there is the Capital. Both contributed too the demise of Americas economy. And the one less to blame is the Capital, because to the contrary of all others it never claimed to be doing anything for anybody but itself.

The blame to be put on those who make capital's decisions is that they were too greedy to understand that capitalism only works as long as the majority benefits from it. The blame to be put on the Unions is that they did not understand that Capital was loosing its bearing.

The politicians are merely statisticians in this drama, neither their decisions nor their input will have any bearing on the big picture. That is why it is totally irrelevant to blame Dubya or praise Clinton or whathaveyou. And that includes Bush's Labor Board, no matter what they do they are just extras in this film.

Thank you...we are often on different ends of the spectrum, but you can see both sides.