Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wounded Soldiers Must Pay Back Bush

thewho?

Not to show love for the current administration, but this policy has been in effect for a long time. Signing bonuses are required to be returned if the individual doesn't live up to the commitment outlined in their service contract. It has nothing to do with Bush.

ETA: Speelin' gud.

Waht a crock! Sure if they quit before the allotted time, then they would need to repay, but being injured fighting for their country and being UNABLE to fulfill it because of doing exactly what they signed up for...it makes absolutley no sense to me. :no:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AROCES

• thewho?

• The Silver Thong

• Unlimited

Sorry that your legs were blown of Johnny, you paid a heavy sacrifice for our country.

By the way, you owe us $5,000 for not finishing your tour.

Waht a crock!
Sure is!

Not to show love for the current administration, but this policy has been in effect for a long time. Signing bonuses are required to be returned if the individual doesn't live up to the commitment outlined in their service contract. It has nothing to do with Bush.

ETA: Speelin' gud.

I could see giving it back if it were his choice to not fullfill the contract , but it wasn't. shows how much the military cares for it's soldiers ? he lost sight in his right eye ! and since it was lost on bs from bush he should sue him.!

measures are being put togeather to stop this policy however.

Now I know why the Neocons keep saying we need to support the troops...

Because they can't!

Anyone remember Walter Reed?

Edited by thewho?

I could see giving it back if it were his choice to not fullfill the contract , but it wasn't. shows how much the military cares for it's soldiers ? he lost sight in his right eye ! and since it was lost on bs from bush he should sue him.!

measures are being put togeather to stop this policy however.

It makes me wonder how many people will reconsider signing up now? I wouldn't, I mean, paying for being injured? Absolutely silly.

AROCES you are trying to achieve the impossible here.

You can not change reality, I'm sorry. This is the truth.

Well, let us make sure the truth is accurate, not designed for certain agendas.

Article bob provided state that it was a payroll error and not a promised compensation that is being asked back since the soldier got injured and was not able to complete his tour.

Now does the Army has the right to ask back for the money, yes. But if they don't get it back then too bad for it was their mistake.

Now I know the truth is not the kind of truth you want, too bad for you then.

Edited by AROCES

Article bob provided state that it was a payroll error and not a promised compensation that is being asked back since the soldier got injured and was not able to complete his tour.

Now does the Army has the right to ask back for the money, yes. But if they don't get it back then too bad for it was their mistake.

No Aroces, you are reaching again.... The article you are speaking of is from 06. This is a new mess. And this is from the new article.

Jordan said he’s heard of many other soldiers who have faced similar circumstances. He told MSNBC’s Dan Abrams:

"I do have to say — this isn’t the end. This is just the beginning because it’s still a continuing problem amongst other men that maybe are too afraid to speak up. Well they need to speak up and we need to end this now."

"It is preposterous for our government to have a policy that says that a soldier who has sustained serious injuries in the field of battle has not fulfilled his or her service obligation."

Edited by Bob26003

Waht a crock! Sure if they quit before the allotted time, then they would need to repay, but being injured fighting for their country and being UNABLE to fulfill it because of doing exactly what they signed up for...it makes absolutley no sense to me. :no:

Not saying I agree with it (being in the military, of course I don't!) but that's the way it is right now. All I was stating is that it has nothing to do with Bush.

Not saying I agree with it (being in the military, of course I don't!) but that's the way it is right now. All I was stating is that it has nothing to do with Bush.

Bush is in charge of the military is he not? He was the one that sent them to war. It is his responsibility to make sure the soldiers are properly taken care of. He should step up to the plate and fix this asap. What did I just say Bush should step up to the plate, what the hell was I thinking. No wonder the military can't recruit people. This is just an absalutly sick policy that should have been delt with right away, oh wait it was delt with as soon as it hit the media.

Sorry Caayn, this is not an attack on you, just my take on things.

I wasn't meaning my post towards you, but to the government, whoever is in control. How can they do that to their citizens? I can't understand the reasoning behind that.

If, as the Army response reported in the article suggests, the injured were brought home so quickly that the accounting office couldn't keep up, how did the same office know that those soldiers were injured and should, by twisted procedure, be billed for a refund due to lack of tour completion? That office was quick enough to pass the 'debt' onto collection agencies, so they must have known of a change in the status of those soldiers. So the office didn't lack knowledge of unintended cessation of duty. By default it seems, that office was set to treat injured soldiers like loan defaulters? Payroll error or 'they're just wee grunts in a bureaucratic sty'?

That, as the old saying goes, is a Killing Joke. You might have a laugh if not for the elephant on your face.

No Aroces, you are reaching again.... The article you are speaking of is from 06. This is a new mess. And this is from the new article.

Jordan said he’s heard of many other soldiers who have faced similar circumstances. He told MSNBC’s Dan Abrams:

"I do have to say — this isn’t the end. This is just the beginning because it’s still a continuing problem amongst other men that maybe are too afraid to speak up. Well they need to speak up and we need to end this now."

"It is preposterous for our government to have a policy that says that a soldier who has sustained serious injuries in the field of battle has not fulfilled his or her service obligation."

In other words you folks are making judgement again without hearing from the Military, right?

Bush is in charge of the military is he not? He was the one that sent them to war. It is his responsibility to make sure the soldiers are properly taken care of. He should step up to the plate and fix this asap. What did I just say Bush should step up to the plate, what the hell was I thinking. No wonder the military can't recruit people. This is just an absalutly sick policy that should have been delt with right away, oh wait it was delt with as soon as it hit the media.

Sorry Caayn, this is not an attack on you, just my take on things.

Nope, it is the top brass who is in charge. The President can address a problem that he becomes aware of or is reported to him. He does not look into it's daily activities.

If, as the Army response reported in the article suggests, the injured were brought home so quickly that the accounting office couldn't keep up, how did the same office know that those soldiers were injured and should, by twisted procedure, be billed for a refund due to lack of tour completion? That office was quick enough to pass the 'debt' onto collection agencies, so they must have known of a change in the status of those soldiers. So the office didn't lack knowledge of unintended cessation of duty. By default it seems, that office was set to treat injured soldiers like loan defaulters? Payroll error or 'they're just wee grunts in a bureaucratic sty'?

That, as the old saying goes, is a Killing Joke. You might have a laugh if not for the elephant on your face.

It is an error, you want to criminalize the error and get something out of it that will score you a big political point.

Sounds like a software bug to me. From what I've read, it seems that everyone, military and civilian agrees that this shouldn't happen. I'm sure that they'll fix it.

Sounds like a software bug to me. From what I've read, it seems that everyone, military and civilian agrees that this shouldn't happen. I'm sure that they'll fix it.

See, that is all there is to it.

No one tried to screw anyone.

I wonder how many will suffer because of there bad credit history now, due to this little mistake. :rolleyes:

edit: highlighted mistake

Edited by The Silver Thong

I wonder how many will suffer because of there bad credit history now, due to this little mistake.

Whether it is a glitch or done intentionally, it still needs addressing. The last thing these people need is more stress. They need to be able to heal both physically and mentally without this added pressure.

Do you have any evidence to back up your emotions? Or is everything you post just unsupported hot steam?

Edited by thewho?

Do you really think it took them 3 years to repair this "glitch" and just so happened to be "fixed" when this issue started to gain nationwide attention? Yeah right! This "glitch" theory is a desperate & embarrassing attempt to sweep this issue under the rug as left-wing mud slinging. It's just plain silly.

Do you really think it took them 3 years to repair this "glitch" and just so happened to be "fixed" when this issue started to gain nationwide attention? Yeah right! This "glitch" theory is a desperate & embarrassing attempt to sweep this issue under the rug as left-wing mud slinging. It's just plain silly.

No kidding, what a cop out. 3 years of this, thats brutal. A mistake, I think not.

So why are you so quick to take that opinion as gospel?

Wounded Vet Told To Pay Back Bonus

Partially-Blinded In Iraq, GI Billed For Army Signing Bonus; Pentagon Admits Mistake

(CBS) Jordan Fox received a $10,000 signing bonus when he joined the Army. The Mt. Lebanon man served his country in Iraq, where as a sniper he survived machine gun battles and a roadside bomb that knocked him unconscious and blinded him in his right eye.

The injury forced the military to send him home. A few weeks later, Fox received a bill from the Department of Defense, saying he owes the military nearly $3,000 from his original enlistment bonus because he couldn't fulfill three months of his commitment.

"I tried to do my best and serve my country and unfortunately I was hurt in the process and now they're telling me that they want their money back," Fox told CBS station KDKA-TV.

This is apparently not an isolated bureaucratic foul-up. The military is allegedly demanding that thousands of wounded service personnel give back signing bonuses because they are unable to serve out their commitments.

To get people to sign up, the military gives enlistment bonuses - up to $30,000 in some cases. Now men and women who have lost arms, legs, eyesight, hearing and can no longer serve are being ordered to pay some of that money back.

Military regulations do allow for discharged soldiers to be forced to pay back part of their enlistment bonuses if they do not serve their entire commitment, if they were found to have "pre-existing" conditions, such as psychological disorders.

As part of an investigation by KDKA into the letter to Fox, the station contacted the Pentagon. After looking into the matter, a military spokesman told KDKA correspondent Marty Griffin that the bill sent to Fox was a mistake.

"We have seen where the problems have been made [in] the system," Major Nathan Banks told Griffin. Banks said the military was working to "make a wrong a right."

But the Pentagon refused comment on allegations that thousands of other soldiers just sent home wounded from Iraq and Afghanistan will receive these sorts of bills.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/21/...in3529961.shtml

Edited by Bob26003

Do you have any evidence to back up your emotions? Or is everything you post just unsupported hot steam?

You the one accusing the Military of screwing the soldiers, so you provide the evidence that it was not a mistake but an intentional act and that the Military think they can get away with it. :wacko:

Edited by AROCES

Yeah, as if they expect someone who they ask to return some money will simply return it, and they can sweep it under the rug in case of anything. You folks are something else.