Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Young hunter's hat shot off

Owlscrying

Mayville, Wis. - (UPI) - A 13-year-old Mayville, Wis., boy had a close shave but avoided injury when his hat was shot off his head while he was hunting on public lands.

The boy's father told the Dodge County Sheriff's Department Monday he was hunting with his son on public lands when the boy's hat was shot off by a bullet of unknown origin.

"That was way too close for comfort," said the Deputy Chief of the Sheriff's Department. "We searched the area and were unable to determine where the shot came from."

It is imperative that hunters ensure they know exactly what they are shooting at before pulling the trigger.

go

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fulltimekiller

• glorybebe

• Jaguat

• Owlscrying

Top Posters In This Topic

Mayville, Wis. - (UPI) - A 13-year-old Mayville, Wis., boy had a close shave but avoided injury when his hat was shot off his head while he was hunting on public lands.

The boy's father told the Dodge County Sheriff's Department Monday he was hunting with his son on public lands when the boy's hat was shot off by a bullet of unknown origin.

"That was way too close for comfort," said the Deputy Chief of the Sheriff's Department. "We searched the area and were unable to determine where the shot came from."

It is imperative that hunters ensure they know exactly what they are shooting at before pulling the trigger.

go

Yes, I have written that in the thread I started on people being shot and killed. How many people need to have close calls, never mind the ones who are killed before they stop being idiots and make sure what it is they are aiming at? I wouldn't be out in the bush at this time of year, evne if I was dressed all in orange, too many itchy trigger fingers out there.

let that kid feel how's like to become prey

I wouldn't be out in the bush at this time of year, evne if I was dressed all in orange, too many itchy trigger fingers out there.

i agree with you there. i seen videos of firearm being accidently discharged when they trip over something or doing other stupid things. and one of my friends know someone who shot himself in the leg for not "observing firearm safety" he climbed a fence with a loaded gun (when you should put the gun over the fence first then climb over) when he was chasing a game that he was trying to shoot.

What if it was the 6yo Deerslayer? ( Other thread in this subject.)

I thought mythbusters busted that. Anyone watch that show? You cant shoot somones hat off unless you're Clint Eastwood, or at close range with a shotgun. The bullet goes right through the hat.

But I guess that doesn't matter because... well... I don't want to argue a point that shows guns are dangerous. It is something to be expected if you're hunting though... Just as long as no innocent hikers get shot because some animal killer messed up. I hate how I can't enjoy a nice walk in my beautiful forest because I'm scared someone will shoot me by mistake. I have to stick to parks and such... Which isnt much fun because all you see is squirrels, leaves and other people.

I thought mythbusters busted that. Anyone watch that show? You cant shoot somones hat off unless you're Clint Eastwood, or at close range with a shotgun. The bullet goes right through the hat.

But I guess that doesn't matter because... well... I don't want to argue a point that shows guns are dangerous. It is something to be expected if you're hunting though... Just as long as no innocent hikers get shot because some animal killer messed up. I hate how I can't enjoy a nice walk in my beautiful forest because I'm scared someone will shoot me by mistake. I have to stick to parks and such... Which isnt much fun because all you see is squirrels, leaves and other people.

That's why some, not all, hunters need to grab a brain and stop aiming at sound. Unless you know EXACTLY what you are aiming at, don't shoot! Is it really that hard for them to understand?

That's why some, not all, hunters need to grab a brain and stop aiming at sound. Unless you know EXACTLY what you are aiming at, don't shoot! Is it really that hard for them to understand?

it was even emphasised on the firearm safety course that i had to attend thats not to shoot at sound.. and don't shoot at something on top of a hill cause if you miss you going to hit someone on the other side of the hill.

I wonder what color that kid's hat is?

I've been hunting and encountered other hunters in the field wearing totally inappropriate clothing.

One guy I met was wearing an orange hat --- and a buckskin jacket! In deer season! How stupid can you be?

Most states mandate a minimum amount of bright orange to be worn and visible but not every hunter abides.

Still, that doesn't excuse the hunter who shot at the hat. Too bad he wasn't found. Obviously, he knew he had done something very wrong and immediately left the area. I doubt if he even knew for certain he had missed that boy's head!

So, as far as the shooter knew, he left a badly wounded boy to bleed to death in the woods. And he didn't even offer to help.

The shooter should lose his hunting privileges for life for this stunt.

I wonder what color that kid's hat is?

I've been hunting and encountered other hunters in the field wearing totally inappropriate clothing.

One guy I met was wearing an orange hat --- and a buckskin jacket! In deer season! How stupid can you be?

Most states mandate a minimum amount of bright orange to be worn and visible but not every hunter abides.

Still, that doesn't excuse the hunter who shot at the hat. Too bad he wasn't found. Obviously, he knew he had done something very wrong and immediately left the area. I doubt if he even knew for certain he had missed that boy's head!

So, as far as the shooter knew, he left a badly wounded boy to bleed to death in the woods. And he didn't even offer to help.

Exactly. Couldn't agree with you more, friend,........

how does the shooter sleep at night (unless he genuinely didn't know his stray bullet nearly kill someone) :P

Edited by fulltimekiller

it was even emphasised on the firearm safety course that i had to attend thats not to shoot at sound.. and don't shoot at something on top of a hill cause if you miss you going to hit someone on the other side of the hill.

What's even worse than having to learn that in a course is that they are common sense! What are these guys thinking? Anything that comes up like this, they shouldn't just lose their license, they should lose their guns and have jail time.

alot of the firearm safety stuff are just common sense so during the course i pretty much know everything because it was so obvious.

I guess what you and I think is common sense is way beyond other people's comprehension. Which says it all, IMO. Stupidity and guns don't mix.