Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Roman skeleton find in farm field

glorybebe

A Roman skeleton dating back 2,000 years has been unearthed after it was spotted by a member of the public in a farmer's field in North Yorkshire.

Archaeologists have dug up a 6ft lead coffin containing the well-preserved remains of a Romano-British adult.

Experts described the find, near to Aldborough, as "rare and exciting".

Archaeologists will now use the skeleton to build up a picture of what life was like for the Romans 2,000 years ago.

Historical experts said that Aldborough was an important Roman settlement for the Brigantes - the largest tribe in Roman Britain.

Ian Panter, principal conservator with the York Archaeological Trust, said the coffin was found inside a stone chamber and the remains were of someone who lived between the second and fourth centuries.

Expensive coffin

He said: "We've not yet been able to sex or age the remains, but the skeleton is in pretty reasonable condition."

Mr Panter said they would be examining the teeth to determine information about the person's childhood diet and whether he or she was born locally.

But experts speculated that the coffin signified the person was of a "high status".

article

It is amazing what is being still being found.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glorybebe

• louie

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice find, i wonder if they will find out who he was.

I hope they do. I would love to find something from another age. It sparks my imagination as to what they can now determine from remains of humans and their lives. I love reading about things like this.

I hope they do. I would love to find something from another age. It sparks my imagination as to what they can now determine from remains of humans and their lives. I love reading about things like this.

Same here. wondering what they did, what they were like, etc etc. really does set the mind turning,

Great fun

Same here. wondering what they did, what they were like, etc etc. really does set the mind turning,

Great fun

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like that! It is so exciting to think of who they were and what they experienced in their life.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like that! It is so exciting to think of who they were and what they experienced in their life.

Yeah. we need to build a time machine.lol. actually that would be the easy part, the hardest part would be putting toghter the list of where we are gonna visit.lol.lol

Yeah. we need to build a time machine.lol. actually that would be the easy part, the hardest part would be putting toghter the list of where we are gonna visit.lol.lol

I know! It would be so cool to be able to sit and watch Earth's history from an omniscient point of view! We could zoom in on certain people and events...OK, I'm weird, I get too into the whole subject, LOL.