Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who Are The Men In Black ?

Saru

So who are the MIBs ? This topic has cropped up over and over again in the field of the unexplained. Not a single MIB has ever been traced. Their uncanny knack of turning up immediately after a UFO sighting raises some serious questions. Many people believe that they aren't even human.

So what do you think ? Who are the Men In Black?

Comments, theories and suggestions welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Magikman

• Homer

• cerberus

Top Posters In This Topic

I've looked around the internet, and couldnt find anything more than than whats in the encyclopedia section of this web-sight regarding MIB's.

Almost always men. Always wearing black suits, driving black sedan type cars. Expressionless, uncomfortable looking in their attire, pale complexion(like non human type of pale).

Appearing after an incident or sighting to question/warn the one who witnessed something.

But something else I've read: that some MIB's are human or part human. Some humans are "programmed" somehow to do the bidding of their masters(off worlders)and some are the result of alien-human experiments who are "raised" to serve the off worlders. In both cases their "assignments" may be as MIB's.

Im not saying I believe everything I read, but Im not disbelieving it either. I like to keep an open mind until the truth is certain.

• 2 weeks later...

Gareth & Homer,

Here is the generally accepted origin of the Men In Black;

[in 1953, the two hundred-odd members of the International Flying Saucer Bureau were taken aback when they received the October issue of the organization's journal, Space Review. In it, IFSB founder Albert K. Bender announced that he had been given the solution to the "mystery of the flying saucers" and that he would like nothing better than to publish the information, however he had been strongly advised against doing so by a "higher source." He went on to urge those who planned to continue their research into UFO phenomena to do so with extreme caution. He then folded the IFSB and shut down publication of Space Review. (Co-incidentally, the IFSB and Space Review had been losing money at an impressive rate up to this point.)

When questioned about this state of affairs, Bender would say only that he had been visited in September by three "members of the United States government...wearing dark suits" who fully briefed him on the subject of flying saucers and then proceeded to threaten him with prison time if he ever repeated a word of what he had been told to anyone. Bender spent the next ten years carefully avoiding all questions on the matter. Over time, Bender's reticence on the subject--coupled with the exploitation of it by the IFSB's chief investigator, Gray Barker, in his sensationalistic 1956 book, They Knew Too Much About Flying Saucers-- gradually gave rise to the notion that the three "men in black" had not been government agents at all, but rather were aliens themselves.

Bender more or less confirmed these suspicions when, finally, in 1962 he published a book detailing his experiences called Flying Saucers and the Three Men. The book was, to put it mildly, totally implausible, involving (among other things) tales of Bender's being taken to the South Pole aboard an alien spacecraft and his subsequent surveillance by the extra-terrestrials through 1960 when they returned to their home planet. As untenable as the book was, however, it did have an enormous impact on the "popular" image of the Men In Black (or MIB, as they later came to be known). For instance, in the book Bender claims that the three men he encountered in 1953 had suddenly materialized in his bedroom, a feat US government agents would surely have had difficulty in achieving (at least back in '53). Thereafter the MIB took on a supernatural air.]

----------------------------------------------------

It is already known that Gray Barker's story was a deliberate hoax(admitted by Barker himself and his life-long friend Jim Mosley-editor of SAUCER SMEAR). Bender's explanation was already highly suspect, and his story in his book only confirmed the fallacy. However, the myth became reality in many people's minds and the 'truth' was perpetuated by repeated appearances in many later reports, probably in the hopes of adding credence and believability to the story. The Men In Black also became a convienient excuse for the absence of any physical evidence or the reporters fear to be confronted for more information. Again, a rather simplistic beginning transformed into in-disputable proof of the existence of UFO's and the governments and/or aliens conspiracy to keep us from the truth.

A pretty pathetic foundation to try to build from, in my honest opinion.

Magikman

Yeah, Magikman, you said it.

If it happened to me, I would be a true believer.

However...I still believe it COULD happen, and I still believe it MIGHT BE happening, but I dont neccessarily believe it is happening, only because theres not enough hard evidense.

Dont get me wrong, Im not blind to the notion that nothing is going on out there, I do believe in the paranormal. I just dont believe in everything I read or hear about the paranormal.

Im not saying I DONT believe in MIB's, Im just saying that Im not CONVINCED about MIB's

Homer,

Your response to this thread is a little confusing, so I will attempt to make my point more clear.

The MIB are totally ficticious characters created out of whole cloth by a self-described hoaxer and the ravings of another with a highly dubious background. The 'myth' of the Men In Black is based as much on reality as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, their reality perpetuated by others only because it serves their purpose. They are also a handy excuse for the highly delusional and paranoid 'conspiracy' theorists as the mysterious henchmen responsible for 'covering up' the truth about UFO's.

There can be no 'hard' evidence of the existance of the MIB's. I have seen pictures of supposed men in black(some guy leaning against a wall smoking a cigarette)  ::) all over the internet. I was suppose to believe it because the picture taker claimed it was. Hell, I've seen quite a few Santa Clause's around Christmas time, does that mean he's real? If it happens to you, you'll become a true believer? Does that mean if some guy comes up to you and flashes a badge with MIB embossed on it, that means he's real? What evidence would be acceptable to 'prove' their existance? I'm glad you haven't yet been convinced of their 'reality', and hopefully you never will be, because they are basically just the figment of someone's imagination, nothing more.

At any time, something 'could' & 'might be' happening, but that does not automatically lead credance to the 'reality' of a myth. When credibility is based solely on the 'reliability' of someone's eyewitness account, you're asking for all kinds of trouble. Unfortunately, that's all there is when it comes to reports about incidents with these Men In Black. The 'crash' of a highly sensitive government project will certainly bring the military or the FBI to your home if you reported it, and their physical bearing and stern attitude may be imposing, but they won't suddenly materialize in your living room while you're watching the Super Bowl, their pasty white skin and green glowing eyes scaring the bejesus out of you and your kids. Not unless you have an over-active imagination and see a great oppurtunity to make a quick buck, anyway.

The MIB's really have nothing to do with the paranormal per se, they are pretty much related to UFO's only - except for their inclusion in THE MOTHMAN PROPHESIES by John Keel, another laughable 'true' event. There are some truly strange events that defy rational explanation, the MIB's just don't happen to be one of those.

Magikman

Magikman,

I agree with you that MIB's dont defy rational explanations. When I stated if it happened to me then I would be a true believer, I wasnt merely speaking of MIB's. If I saw a UFO or aliens or had been abducted by aliens, or been attacked by Bigfoot while hiking in the woods, or anything like that, then I would be a true believer in that particular thing. Although I wouldnt have "hard evidence" to prove what happened, since it would have happened to me personally, I would be a fool not to believe.

About MIB's specifically, if I saw a UFO or something of that nature in the middle of nowhere and nobody knew I saw it, and shortly thereafter recieved a visit from some guy wearing a dark suit claiming to be from the government, basically interrogating me on what I saw(it doent matter if I was threatened not to tell anyone), then, in my perception, I was visited from an MIB.

When I state MIB, Im not implying they would be aliens(and Im not implying they are not aliens either, it's not relevant to my case), Im stating they were Men In Black, covering up information on a UFO sight. Nothing more, nothing less. Whether there are such people, I dont know.

Two things I want to point out.   1) I would need more proof than some guy flashing his MIB badge. It would also have to say "authentic". ;D   2) Dont be talking down on the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, or you may not get any presents for Christmas or eggs for Easter. ;D

You may think Im gullable, but like that poster that hangs on the wall in agent Mulders office in the X Files: I WANT TO BELIEVE

Homer

Here is an interesting MIB case that happened a few years back:

Albert Bender, director of the International Flying Saucer Bureau, an amateur organizationbased in Connecticut, USA, once claimed to have discovered the secret behind UFOs. But unfortunately, the rest of the world is still none the wiser - for Bender was prevented from passing on his discovery to the world by three sinister visitors: three men dressed in black, known as 'the silencers'.

It had been Bender's intention to publish his findings in his own journal, Space Review.But before committing himself finally, he felt he ought to try his ideas out on acolleague. He therefore mailed his report. A few days later, the men came.

Bender was lying down in his bedroom, overtaken by a sudden spell of dizziness, when henoticed three shadowy figures in the room. Gradually, they became clearer. All were dressed in black clothes. "They looked like clergymen, but wore hats similar to Homburg style. The faces were not clearly discernible, for the hats partly hid and shaded them. Feelings of fear left me... The eyes of all three figures suddenly lit up like flashlight bulbs, and all these were focussed upon me. They seemed to burn into my very soul as the pains above my eyes became almost unbearable. It was then I sensed that they were conveying a message to me by telelathy."

Bender's visitors confirmed that he had been right in his speculations as to the truenature of the UFOs - one of them was actually carrying Bender's report, and provided additional information. This so terrified him that he was only too willing to go along with their demand that he close down his organisation, cease publication of his journal atonce, and refrain from telling the truth to anyone 'on his honour as an American citizen.'

What do you think?

???

The Men In Black phenomenon is certainly interesting, the idea that strange Government Agents arrive at your house and threaten you not to reveal anything regarding a sighting, is like something out of a film rather than reality. There has been a considerably number of MIB reports over the years, and from many independant witnesses.

Unfortunately with Unexplained subjects such as this, there is a substantial lack of hard evidence, with only a single photograph ( a man wearing a black suit leaning against a wall, as someone mentioned earlier ). This doesn't help to determine the validity of any of the MIB cases, and until some more evidence comes up, the Men In Black will likely remain a mystery. The mystery perhaps not being who are they, but are they real ?

Here is that photograph again. Personally, I don't see how anyone can seriously claim that this is an MIB. It looks to me just like a man in the street, but maybe I'm missing something. What does everyone else think of this picture ?

With an imagination like mine(add a little paranoia), I really think it looks suspect.  He seems to be trying to blend in with his surroundings, and isn't that the way they always show the guy(in the movies)watching your place from a street corner?

Was it Jessup who found and took home a (supposed)piece of the Roswell spacecraft to show to his wife and daughter? He later said they were threatened if they said anything, but those were military men, weren't they?

i know that guy in the photo!!! he comes around every thursday to my place and mows my lawn!!!! ;D

i personally think they are aliens because it would explain alot.

examples...

1. the MIB come very soon after the sighting. often too soon that they haven't even told anyone yet.

2. they usually arrive in a prestigious black car. often not the latest model but in perfect condition. the choice of vechicle implies that they have newly fabricated a replica of a car that they believe to be appropriate - unaware that it is an out of date model - perhaps because they have seen it in a monitored television transmission.

3. they wear hats like the sterotypical movie gangsters and secret agents.

4. their physical movements may be stiff and clumsy; in one classic scenario the MIB comprise a male and female, who sit awkwardly together during the interview with a couple, while the male paws the female, asking the husband if this is all right and if he is doing it correctly. when the husband goes out of the room, the male MIB asks the wife if she has any nude photographs of herself. when they leave, the male seems unable to move, and the female has to ask the witness to help her get him to his feet.

5. violence is sometimes used by the MIB - "if you want your wife to stay as pretty as she is, then you'd better get the metal back!" was the warning given to UFO witness Robert Richardson in 1967.

6. other details also suggest that the MIBs have modelled themselves on what they have learnt from our media, copying Hollywood gangsters, lovemaking and clothing under the illusion that these are representative of everyday behaviour.

Here's another case involving an MIB visit following an alleged Extra Terrestrial related sighting :

( A Night In November 1961 )

Paul Miller and three of his companions were returning home that evening when they saw what they described as being a "luminous silo" land in a nearby field. After disappearing and reappearing in front of them, the silo then seemed to open up and 2 humanoids emerged from within it. Panic-stricken, Miller aimed at the humanoids and fired his rifle, apparently injuring one of them before the whole incident ended as quickly as it had begun. On their way home that evening, the 2 men experienced blackouts and appeared to loose 3 hours, an event which terrified them completely.

The next morning however, when Miller reported to work that day, 3 men in black arrived. They claimed to be government officials, and went on to query him about the UFO incident, even though they couldn't possibly know about it. " They seemed to know everything about me; where I worked, my name, everything else" Miller reported. Not surprisingly, Miller didn't dare report this incident for several years following the MIB's visit.

I have had contact since I was 5 years old.  I found myself an unwilling participant in remote viewing projects, I have worked for a very short time with covert operations and never ever have I seen any "men in black!"  

I highly suspect that way back in the early days of the secret service/CIA/FBI suits and sun glasses were a big thing...and I have to admit when you can't see what's behind them thar glasses, it is spooky...like the child's game of "gossip" much of the UFO, covert goverment, spy stuff has become Hollywoodized, James Bonded etc. etc.  While the technology and equipment used by the "secret service" and "spy" crowd is of the highst imaginable, it is outdated ONCE it is used.

Stories always get a little bigger when the interest wanes...oh, by the way, mine tend to same the same--as I remember them!  

8)  (smiley in black?)

The photo looks to me like some poor chump forced to go outside to take a smoke break. We all tend to sort of lurk around looking out for the anti-smoke squad.  8)

Dalia

• 3 weeks later...

Correct me if i'm wrong

but the guy in the photo looks like a Blues Brothers wanna be. The MIB always seem to know when there has been photographic evidence, you would think that they would have chased him down after the photo was taken.

I could be wrong :-/

• 1 year later...

I know it's an old subject, but further information has been brought to light regarding the development and deliberate fabrication of the 'Men in Black' mythos, from someone who worked closely with Gray Barker and who helped perpetuate the hoax on a gullible public. Its a fascinating account detailing the fraudulent origins of the phenomena and its rapid rise to preeminence and inclusion in standard UFO experiences. Click on the link below to read the article;

CLICK HERE

Magikman  :sg

• 1 month later...

i think that photo is just some regular joe.If i was an MIB i wouldnt be allowed to let slip who i was.The paparazzi are everywhere.i do think that if the U.S government have something to hide, they would have a branch to deal with this. Also how do you become an MIB? do you learn it at uni?  ;DOf course its possible that they exist, but they must have such a secret job if they cant have any interaction with the public.They must have a database the same as if not better than the FBI or CIA.Its totally random if you see a UFO, etc.How would they know you...? My real theory is that they are a highly strict government branch.As for the suits....its a stereotype rouse.if you think all MIB's are gonna have suits, you might not consider the alternative, because its so strange to think.My unreal theory is that they are ET's.They prey on our imaginations, which we will justly debate.They know this.If they have Psychic abilities they could read that person's mind anyway, hence their memory too.

according to some website...the MIB's are a secret underground race, with underground cities and other really wacky stuff. try www.geocities.com/area51/crater/2856/index.html  for real laugh... :sj :s01 :s01       yawn :sm :sn :sm :sn :sm :sn :sm :sn :s01