Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World record shark caught off Cornwall

Owlscrying

A world record shark has been caught off the coast of Cornwall.

The 17ft thresher shark weighed more than half a tonne.

The monster shark was caught three miles off the coast by fishermen Roger Nowell and Joe Crowe as they hunted squid. It caused £500 of damage to the trawler hydraulics.

Dad-of-three Roger, 41, said: "We bought the net up. There were no squid but this massive shark - it was the biggest one I'd ever seen.

"Me and Joe just looked at each other and I said 'I'd better call somebody'. I knew we'd need some help with this one."

It smashed the previous record for a thresher which was a 802lb shark caught off New Zealand in 1981.

go

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glorybebe

• Mcr13

• Picturesque Orion

• Legatus Legionis

Wow. I hope they display it in a museum for all to see. Awsome catch. lol

It's both sad and amazing. Sad because Thresher Sharks are pretty rare this days and pretty rare to be seen on wild. Amazing because that's quite a huge catch.

Seems to be a disagreement about the size of this shark... 16 or 17 feet, aswell as a debate about the previous record holder and where it was caught.

WAIT! Couldn't they have transported him to a huge aquarium somewhere? :( He's dead... sad...

yes.. they've killed it.. netting in a shark would do the trick. without water running through their gills they would surely die. another waste of mother natures' masterpiece.

WAIT! Couldn't they have transported him to a huge aquarium somewhere? :( He's dead... sad...

too many people don't appreciate that without sharks, the oceans would be thrown out of balance, they only see killing machines and want to kill them.

too many people don't appreciate that without sharks, the oceans would be thrown out of balance, they only see killing machines and want to kill them.

Yeah, but imagine the amount of batter you'd need to cook it! LOL....

Sorry, glorybebe, but you are right. And considering how rare they are. you'd think they would have an alternative method of catching squid without the risk of catching thes sharks ( or any sharks, for that matter).......

because of some "movies" that made the shark look bad, their population is now shrinking rapidly. we need to change the mind of the society that more people die in lightning than of sharks.

another waste of mother natures' masterpiece

:cry: That poor animal......it never did anything to them.It's things like this that make the world so unfair. Why must people kill these poor creatures? Who cares how big they are? People don't go around killing the tallest people. Leave the animals at peace. Without humans interfering with the animal's lives, there wouldn't be many animals going extinct,(other than by nature)! Why must these animals take their lives for something humans do not need to survive? This world surely can be a cruel,cruel place......

:cry: That poor animal......it never did anything to them.It's things like this that make the world so unfair. Why must people kill these poor creatures? Who cares how big they are? People don't go around killing the tallest people. Leave the animals at peace. Without humans interfering with the animal's lives, there wouldn't be many animals going extinct,(other than by nature)! Why must these animals take their lives for something humans do not need to survive? This world surely can be a cruel,cruel place......

Yes, it is very sad. Most predators have been through this, and non-predators. We had men sitting on top of trains shooting buffalo because they were there, they never ate any of the meat, they just left them lay and almost killed them off, they are just now making a come back in population. It is jut a cruelty that humans are capable of.

The human race is unbalancing the planet at a very rapid state, mass extintions are happening when they shoudn't be happening, only nature can do a controlled extintion, but humans are taking this role and so are unbalancing the whole planet in all it's aspects, planet Earth depends totally on it biodiversity.

Japan killing wales and dolphins, non-native Africans killing sabanah animals for their skin, polar bears dying at the poles, at this rate the planet's biodiversity might sink sooner than you think. The problem is that once it sinks to a certain level everything will die in an instant, that's what you can call an uncontroled extintion, and the human race is guilty.

Edited by Alex01

and the human race is guilty.

Not ALL of the human race is responsible. Some people haven't done anything to harm animals. :mellow:

Not ALL of the human race is responsible. Some people haven't done anything to harm animals. :mellow:

The ones who stand by and let it happen are guilty for not preventing it.

The ones who stand by and let it happen are guilty for not preventing it.

Come on now, that is a bit much. That can be said about everyone about everything...

Come on now, that is a bit much. That can be said about everyone about everything...

Yes, it can. But, it can be true in a lot of cases.

Yes, it can. But, it can be true in a lot of cases.

Yes, but it doesnt mean that it is right, or a fair thing to try and guilt everyone with. I can say the same thing regarding the things I consider important. Everyone has things they feel are important. Some people it may be the environment, some it may be starving kids in Africa... I personally have my own things, but I am not going to try and make you feel guilty because you do not share the same opinion as I do.

In my opinion, it isnt nice.

Yes, but it doesnt mean that it is right, or a fair thing to try and guilt everyone with. I can say the same thing regarding the things I consider important. Everyone has things they feel are important. Some people it may be the environment, some it may be starving kids in Africa... I personally have my own things, but I am not going to try and make you feel guilty because you do not share the same opinion as I do.

In my opinion, it isnt nice.

Well, that is the reality, a lot in this world isn't nice. But, we have to try and work at making our way in this world. Everyone has an opinion. What I should have said was that instead of complaining of things that are happening and not doing anything, either be quiet or do something about it. A lot of people complain, but how many actually go out and try to make people aware of these problems? It's like people who read in a paper that there was a rape on their street last night, and say "how horrible, something should be done" yet those same people ignored the screams of the woman and could have done something about it.

I understand what you are saying and agree with you 100%. Good point. Doo something, whatever it may be.

Why must people kill these poor creatures?
They weren't trying to.