Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

teacher arrested for teddy bear blasphemy

glorybebe

she does not follow religion so she should not be held accountable by it. Its ridiculous is what it is.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lotus Flower

• chemical-licker

• glorybebe

• Bill Hill

she does not follow religion so she should not be held accountable by it. Its ridiculous is what it is.

It may be ridiculous but many of these countries base their laws on their religious views and if you can't follow their laws then your screwed.

She made the conscious decision to go to a nation run by a corrupt authoritarian dictatorship and to many there mocked Islam. I don't think she should be punished personally but at the same time i accept how these people work in regards to those disrespecting their religion.

She's in there country, thats there law. She can't plead ignorance as a defence. However calling a teddybear Mohamad and getting lashed for it does seem quite excesive. Its not like she had a cross dressing teddybear with Mohamad underwear, that read, I like it from behind. Sheesh :o

Edited by The Silver Thong

Sudan has arrested a British teacher for insulting faith and religion, the British Foreign Office said Monday.

Gillian Gibbons, 54, is being held by police in Sudan's capital, Khartoum, and has not been charged, British officials said.

Numerous media reports say Gibbons was arrested after allowing her class of 7-year-olds to name a teddy bear "Mohammed."

That could be seen as an insult to the Prophet Mohammed, the reports said.

Blasphemy is punishable with 40 lashes under Islamic Sharia law, Britain's Press Association news agency reported.

Gibbons asked the children to pick a name for the bear as part of a lesson on animal habits at Unity High School, PA said.

A British Embassy spokesman in Khartoum was quoted as saying the naming of the bear did not cause immediate trouble.

"The children chose the name because it is very common here," the spokesman told PA.

"This happened in September and the parents did not have a problem with it."

Unity director Robert Boulos told Reuters news agency that Gibbons was arrested Sunday at her home on school grounds after a number of parents made a complaint to Sudan's Ministry of Education.

He said she had since been charged with "blasphemy

more

Well, hse did go to another country, and should have known that that name could be seen as an insult...

Hey someone let those people know that I got a piece of dog dung outside on my lawn that I too have named it MOHAMMAD. J K. Blasphemy I guess like you said ,He/she should have known what the law was down there before he/she went. 40 lashes,Damn.

Its not like she had a cross dressing teddybear with Mohamad underwear, that read, I like it from behind. Sheesh :o

~Picks self up off floor after laughing so hard I fell out of my chair~ :lol:

With apologies to "The Jungle Book" and Walt Disney....

Those.. Bear necessities

Riled Muslim sensitivies,

The bear's names brought her worries and some strife.

I mean those..Bear necessities

Where Shia disaster recipies

And could cost her a flogging - or her life.

Meow Purr.

With apologies to "The Jungle Book" and Walt Disney....

Those.. Bear necessities

Riled Muslim sensitivies,

The bear's names brought her worries and some strife.

I mean those..Bear necessities

Where Shia disaster recipies

And could cost her a flogging - or her life.

Meow Purr.

Cat I didn't know you could sing :lol:

he knows the cheshire cat of course he can sing

On the news it just said that the teacher has been 'formally accused of insulting Islam'.

What a crazy world we live in!!

I expect she'll just get a fine....because if she is flogged or imprisoned there is going

to be trouble....a lot of trouble.

It just seems that it doesn't take much to upset these twerps. My 4 year old is just like that, it doesn't take much to upset her............................but she's 4.

Does anyone Remember Norman Kember, the peace activist in Iraq who was taken hostage and was only hours maybe minutes away from having his head separated from the rest of his body, The UK special forces went in and rescued him and the cheeky ****er turned around and said he didnt want rescuing and had the ****ing cheek to request the withdrawal of coalition forces from Iraq. he thought his ****ing bible was going to save him, in hindsight they should have ****ing left him to have his head cut off with a blunt bread knife,

I cant undertand people, they surely can see the dangers, i dunno,

Edited by stevewinn

i remember that steve, i was laughing for days :lol: maybe this teacher should be left as she is a left in her situation <_<

btw iS IT MUHAMMED OR MOHAMMED?

Edited by chemical-licker

I've tried..lord knows I've tried but I'm sorry, I really don't have any sympathy for this woman...Gillian Gibbons, yeah she's a gibbon alright.

Just another 'dizzy middle class do-gooder' off to Africa to patronise the locals and bore people senseless when she gets back.

And boy is she dizzy!

My evidence?

A picture tells a thousand words.

linked-image

Now, if you told Mz Gibbon before she went to Africa.. "watch out, they're a bit funny in Sudan"

She'd be the first to call you a racist or bigot! we all know the type, plenty here in the UM.. "Oh..We have to respect their culture and beliefs"

Well, she learned the hard way... and I have only one thing to say to her..

linked-image

WELCOME TO THE PARTY PAL!!

Actually Billy, she didn't go there to be a do-gooder, apparently after she divorced her husband of a number of years, she decided she would like to travel and do all the things she had wanted to do. This makes it all the more sadder really.

i remember that steve, i was laughing for days :lol: maybe this teacher should be left as she is a left in her situation <_<

btw iS IT MUHAMMED OR MOHAMMED?

Ask one of the many men or boys named this name. Apparently it is okay to use such a sacred name for a human but not for a toy, that I hasten to add, was named after a vote in the classroom by the kids themselves, not the teacher :huh:

I already said my piece earlier in the thread, and I'm in agreement with the majority, just thought I'd add about the whole naming situation. Mohamed is the most common name in the world because of the prophet, and it's not a sin to name your child after him, it's a sin to name an object after him because then it becomes a "false idol" :huh: this is what a friend (whose name, coincidentally, is Mohamed) told me after I asked why it was alright to name children but not teddy bears. It's all abit extreme I'd say... considering she's not muslim, how was she to know this?

Edited by NatalieK

I already said my piece earlier in the thread, and I'm in agreement with the majority, just thought I'd add about the whole naming situation. Mohamed is the most common name in the world because of the prophet, and it's not a sin to name your child after him, it's a sin to name an object after him because then it becomes a "false idol" :huh: this is what a friend (whose name, coincidentally, is Mohamed) told me after I asked why it was alright to name children but not teddy bears. It's all abit extreme I'd say... considering she's not muslim, how was she to know this?

Ahh right I see!

I understand about the idol thing, however I am sure they wouldn't use the teddy as an idol, it was, in the kids' eyes, just a name :(

Actually Billy, she didn't go there to be a do-gooder, apparently after she divorced her husband of a number of years, she decided she would like to travel and do all the things she had wanted to do.

she's a do-gooder... if she wanted to travel, she should've just traveled, like traveled through the Sudan..stay a bit and move on.. not stay and teach the kids.

As for her divorce, it's probably got something to do with her 'dream.'

"I want to go to Africa and teach the poor school children and....what!?! what do you mean you want a divorce? what immediately!?!"

He knows the score, and so does... he over there at the back.

she's a do-gooder... if she wanted to travel, she should've just traveled, like traveled through the Sudan..stay a bit and move on.. not stay and teach the kids.

"I want to go to Africa and teach the poor school children and....what!?! what do you mean you want a divorce? what immediately!?!"

While I think the punishment is extreme, I do agree (as I said in the OP) that she should have thought to learn about the culture there. I mean I think anyone coming to our country should respect the laws and culture of our country, and it should be the same when we go to other countries. We can't expect them to bow down to us. Especially if we are going to live there, we should take the time and learn what not to do and what could be construed as disrespectful to the citizens of that country.

This is a quote from the newspaper:

Mrs Gibbons, a former deputy head in Liverpool, moved to Khartoum in August to fulfil her dream of teaching abroad after her marriage broke down last year.

Her dream was to teach abroad, therefore staying a bit and moving on wasn't really going to happen. Perhaps she was going to teach for two or three years in one country and then move on, but not everyone is a nomad.

Define do-gooder....

Edited by Lotus Flower

Define do-gooder....

Dizzy, vacant look on their face...

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition; is pretty good.

SYLLABICATION: do-good·er

PRONUNCIATION: dgdr

NOUN: A naive idealist who supports philanthropic or humanitarian causes or reforms.

The Urban dictionary is even better :tu:

4. do-gooder

A dumbass who is usually very religious and/or obessed with the morals of other human beings, but refuses to stay out of other people's sh**.

I wish that every do-gooder on the planet would learn to shut the hell up.

Dizzy, vacant look on their face...

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition; is pretty good.

SYLLABICATION: do-good·er

PRONUNCIATION: dgdr

NOUN: A naive idealist who supports philanthropic or humanitarian causes or reforms.

The Urban dictionary is even better :tu:

4. do-gooder

A dumbass who is usually very religious and/or obessed with the morals of other human beings, but refuses to stay out of other people's sh**.

I wish that every do-gooder on the planet would learn to shut the hell up.

Absolutely! I have had a few set-tos with do-gooders like you describe. Personally, I think they should mind their own damned business and look after their own lives instead of interferring in everybody elses :tsu:

Ironically, this woman was just a teacher caught up in fanatical circumstances. The very fact some people are calling for her death brings it home that they have it all out of proportion and do not even seem to be thinking clearly - they are just fanatically religious :(

Absolutely! I have had a few set-tos with do-gooders like you describe. Personally, I think they should mind their own damned business and look after their own lives instead of interferring in everybody elses :tsu:

wow we agree! She should've known better..but I think she really gets it now. So, lesson learned-now, to get back home quickly. you know I don't want to see her killed or punished or anything for that matter.

some parts of the world's are just not too pretty.

wow we agree! She should've known better..but I think she really gets it now. So, lesson learned-now, to get back home quickly. you know I don't want to see her killed or punished or anything for that matter.

some parts of the world's are just not too pretty.

tsk, of course we agree :lol:

You are right about some parts of the world too, in fact, there are some places that make me shudder even at the mere thought of going there.

I am sure those starving orphans in sub Saharan Africa feel just as fed up with do-gooders that give up an easier life in order to help those less fortunate than themselves. Can you imagine the gall it takes to go to another country and bring food, medicine and water well drilling equipment with them? I mean really, those kids are going to die sooner or later anyway, why in the heck cant these folks just mind their own business and let nature take its course?

Those do-gooders are a bunch of pompous twits if you ask me. Should keep their help to themselves...

I am sure those starving orphans in sub Saharan Africa feel just as fed up with do-gooders that give up an easier life in order to help those less fortunate than themselves. Can you imagine the gall it takes to go to another country and bring food, medicine and water well drilling equipment with them? I mean really, those kids are going to die sooner or later anyway, why in the heck cant these folks just mind their own business and let nature take its course?

Those do-gooders are a bunch of pompous twits if you ask me. Should keep their help to themselves...

Ahhh I can't speak for that Billy person, but I was on about religious nuts who continually try to change my views. I don't consider the people you are talking about as do-gooders, their work is more than I have ever done and they will risk their lives at the same time - they are heroes in my book.

I just had to put that straight.