Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anorexia. Schitzophrenia. possession. psychic

crystal sage

http://www.edgarcayce.org/health/database/...hizophrenia.asp

EDGAR CAYCE'S PERSPECTIVE ON SCHIZOPHRENIA

Edgar Cayce gave many psychic readings for persons suffering from schizophrenia. Actually, he never used the term "schizophrenia." During his era, the accepted medical diagnosis for the illness was "dementia praecox." Dementia refers to organic brain degeneration, resulting in cognitive deficits and psychosis. Praecox refers to the precocious or early onset of the illness (usually in the late teens or early twenties).

Cayce provided graphic descriptions of the brain deterioration in persons suffering from schizophrenia and recommended treatments for regenerating the nervous system. He also acknowledged the mental and spiritual aspects of the disorder.

Cayce's psychic readings cite numerous causal factors. In some cases, hereditary factors are noted. Physical trauma (such as injury to the nervous system during birth or later in life) was a major causal factor. Glandular disturbances were often linked to the nervous system pathology. Toxicity in the body was sometimes described as contributing to the illness.

The treatments suggested by Cayce were typical for cases involving nervous system incoordination. Osteopathic treatment was one of the most frequent recommendations. Other common recommendations included: electrotherapy, hydrotherapy, suggestive therapeutics, companion therapy, and therapeutic milieu (environment).

The following points summarize Edgar Cayce's perspective on schizophrenia.

1. The diagnostic label of "schizophrenia" refers to a group of related illnesses with varied etiologies and outcome.

2. There is a strong somatic (biological) component to this disorder which must be addressed in treatment.

3. The symptoms of schizophrenia result from dysfunction within the brain, but etiological patterns usually involve systemic dysfunction.

4. Within the physical body, multiple systems are usually involved in the schizophrenic process, primarily the central (cerebrospinal) and autonomic (sympathetic) nervous systems, and the endocrine (glandular) system.

5. In cases where the disorder progresses to a chronic condition, the prognosis is less favorable. This condition involves brain degeneration and is a difficult process to reverse. Early diagnosis and treatment greatly improve the prognosis.

6. Genetic factors often play a significant role in the development of schizophrenia. Genetic factors are not simplistic entities, but vary in influence from being "innate" (very likely to manifest regardless of other factors) to being only "tendencies" (i.e., inherited vulnerability as proposed in the diathesis/stress model).

7. Pregnancy and birth complications (PBCs) play a significant role in the etiology of schizophrenia.

8. Spinal injury and other forms of somatic dysfunction are important etiological factors in the production of psychotic symptoms.

9. Stress is often an important etiological factor in the production of schizophrenic symptoms.

10. The human body contains interfaces with spiritual and mental dimensions of reality. These interfaces (centers) exist within the glandular and nervous systems. Chemical imbalances or injury to these systems can disrupt these centers, producing the psychotic symptoms associated with schizophrenia.

11. The treatment of schizophrenia requires a holistic perspective which typically involves spiritual, mental, and physical interventions. These therapies include osteopathic or chiropractic treatments, massage, electrotherapy, diet, companionship, therapeutic milieu, hypnotic suggestion, exercise, and pharmacology.

12. Cayce's holistic perspective involves spiritual and metaphysical constructs, such as karma and spirit possession. These transpersonal aspects are not cited in every case, and thus may be most appropriately viewed as complications of the pathological process rather than specific to schizophrenia.

THE TREATMENT OF SCHIZOPHPRENIA

In keeping with the holistic philosophy of the Edgar Cayce readings, the following is a therapeutic model which addresses the dimensions of body, mind and spirit. In the simplest possible conceptualization, this approach can be represented as:

1. Establish a therapeutic milieu with an emphasis on "spiritual" qualities, such as patience, gentleness, altruistic service, etc., while simultaneously providing opportunities for growth and development. Outdoor activities in the sunshine and fresh air are also emphasized. Companion therapy is sometimes necessary to implement and maintain a therapeutic milieu.

2. Provide somatic (physical) interventions which address the fundamental physical dimension of this disorder. Manual medicine (such as osteopathy, chiropractic and massage), electrotherapy (including vibratory metals), diet, exercise, and appropriate pharmacology play a crucial role in the physical treatment of schizophrenia.

3. Utilize suggestive therapeutics to rebuild and redirect the mental processes of the client. Various cognitive and behavioral techniques are employed in conjunction with naturalistic hypnosis so as to apply the principle "mind is the builder."

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crystal sage

• Lotus Flower

• Intelligent Insight

• gomez

http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFi...n1/anorexia.xml

Attempts have been made to link anorexia nervosa to religion. In Germany, a correlation was found between type of eating disorder and religious affiliation. Protestants had a higher incidence of anorexia nervosa while Roman Catholics presented with bulimia with vomiting [ 11 ]. Rates of eating disorders for Muslim countries are not widely available, but there is evidence that cases of anorexia nervosa, though rare, do exist in these countries. Yager & Smith [ 12 ] presented a case of restrictor anorexia nervosa in Pakistan. The disorder had developed due to the patient and her family having a preoccupation with weight. In a later study, [ 13 ], 180 female nursing and medical students at the Aga Khan University Hospital in Karachi were assessed for anorexic behaviour and attitude. Total proportion of anorexic behaviour was 21.7% which was recognized by the authors as much higher than rates reported for studies conducted in Asia.

Huline-Dickens [ 14 ] has examined the religious and ascetic features of anorexia nervosa. It is argued that there exists many connections between the religious ascetic and the anorexic, and that there are many psychopathological features common to both. Whilst empirical evidence for religious themes in anorexia is not strong, in the family therapy literature there are indications of ethical codes of sacrifice, loyalty and sexual denial. Anorexia and asceticism are considered to be connected conceptually in the process of idealization. Clinicians working with women with anorexia have pointed out their abstinence from worldly comfort and pleasures through the process of self-denial, heightened morality, asexuality and immortality [ 15 ].

Other researchers have attempted to link anorexia nervosa to sociocultural factors

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/anorexia/28523

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/anorexia/28529

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8045047/

Pro-anorexia movement has cult-like appeal

Experts alarmed by Web sites that promote self-starvation

CHICAGO - They call her “Ana.” She is a role model to some, a goddess to others — the subject of drawings, prayers and even a creed.

She tells them what to eat and mocks them when they don’t lose weight. And yet, while she is a very real presence in the lives of many of her followers, she exists only in their minds.

Ana is short for anorexia, and — to the alarm of experts — many who suffer from the potentially fatal eating disorder are part of an underground movement that promotes self-starvation and, in some cases, has an almost cult-like appeal.

Followers include young women and teens who wear red Ana bracelets and offer one another encouraging words of “thinspiration” on Web pages and blogs.

They share tips for shedding pounds and faithfully report their “cw” and “gw” — current weight and goal weight, which often falls into the double digits. They also post pictures of celebrity role models, including teen stars Lindsay Lohan and Mary-Kate Olsen, who last year set aside the acting career and merchandising empire she shares with her twin sister to seek help for her own eating disorder.

“Put on your Ana bracelet and raise your skinny fist in solidarity!” one “pro-Ana” blogger wrote shortly after Olsen entered treatment.

The Media

Exploring the role society and the media play in the development of an Eating Disorder and the Media Influence on Eating Disorders.

http://www.something-fishy.org/cultural/themedia.php

From early-on children are taught by society that their looks matter. Think of the three and four year old who is continuously praised for being "oh so cute". With an increased population of children who spend a lot of time in front of television, there are more of them coming up with a superficial sense of who they are. Images on T.V. spend countless hours telling us to lose weight, be thin and beautiful, buy more stuff because people will like us and we'll be better people for it. Programming on the tube rarely depicts men and women with "average" body-types or crappy clothes, ingraining in the back of all our minds that this is the type of life we want. Overweight characters are typically portrayed as lazy, the one with no friends, or "the bad guy", while thin women and pumped-up men are the successful, popular, sexy and powerful ones. How can we tell our children that it's what's inside that counts, when the media continuously contradicts this message?

Super models in all the popular magazines have continued to get thinner and thinner. Modeling agencies have been reported to actively pursue Anorexic models. The average woman model weighs up to 25% less than the typical woman and maintains a weight at about 15 to 20 percent below what is considered healthy for her age and height. Some models go through plastic surgery, some are "taped-up" to mold their bodies into more photogenic representations of themselves, and photos are airbrushed before going to print. By far, these body types and images are not the norm and unobtainable to the average individual, and far and wide, the constant force of these images on society makes us believe they should be. We need to remind ourselves and each other constantly (especially children) that these images are fake.

Diet advertisements are another problem. On television, in magazines and newspapers, we are continually exposed to the notion that losing weight will make us happier and it will be through "THIS diet plan". Time and time again it has been proven that, for the long-term, regimented diet plans DO NOT work, yet our society continues to buy into the idea that they do. Pop-culture's imposed definition of "the ideal body" combined with the diet industry's drive to make more money, creates a never-ending cycle of ad upon ad that try to convince us "...if you lose weight, your life will be good." The flip side is that as long as we continue to buy into their false claims by purchasing these (often dangerous) products, the more the diet industry will keep pushing their slogans at us.

From the About-Face organization: "400-600 advertisements bombard us everyday in magazines, on billboards, on tv, and in newspapers. One in eleven has a direct message about beauty, not even counting the indirect messages."

While all of these images, advertisements, and messages may be counterproductive to a good self-image, and society's

overall acceptance of each person's different size and shape, they are NOT the reason so many men and women develop an Eating Disorder. These images may not help, and for those already open to the possibility of negative coping mechanisms and/or mental illness, the media may play a small contributing role -- but ultimately, if a young man or woman's life situation, environment, and/or genetics leave them open to an Eating Disorder (or alcoholism, drug abuse, depression, OCD, etc.), they will still end up in the same place regardless of television or magazines. Ultimately it's important to know that Anorexia, Bulimia and Compulsive Overeating are NOT about weight and food. Rather they are complex disorders where each sufferer is plagued with low self-esteem, an inability to cope with their own emotions and stress, and many underlying issues that have lead them to their disordered eating.

http://www.raderprograms.com/media.aspx

http://www.escape-from-anorexia.com/Outwit...e%20illness.htm

Interestingly enough, Helen’s dietician also characterised the anorexia to Helen as a sort of demon which had taken possession of her. She described it to Helen as a goblin which sat on her shoulder and whispered lies to her. Furthermore, Helen described it as a voice inside her head which constantly undermined her self-esteem and will to live. She felt crushed between the constant dictates of this voice and the equally demanding dictates of Fiona and myself. The anorexia, of course, had a number of months start on us and had been winning Helen’s mind over long before I even knew there was anything amiss. There was a well established relationship between them by this time.

Helen’s psychiatrist was particularly interested in this aspect of her illness and wanted to know if her sleeping pattern had become disturbed. He was surprised at how well she was sleeping. I wasn’t - I knew how hard we were exercising!

However we viewed the condition - illness or entity - the point was that we had to do battle with a very subtle and cunning thought process which would deliberately set out to delude and deceive us. And if we were not able to see through all of its charades and subterfuges, then we would have lost Helen.

We set out to outwit the anorexia by creating structures which appeared to offer concessions to it but which were really designed to break its iron grip on Helen. To outwit the anorexia, we had, of course, to outwit its host - Helen.

I never suffered anorexia but I did suffer from bulimia for years...

one of the theories that I know apply to me and many others is basicalyl what the individual is doing...

is they are subconsiously trying to control something.

Usually the reason they turn to controlling their bodies in and extreme form is not really due to a 'weight' issue.

In alot of instances the individual was a victim of sexual abuse, a violent household, rape, traumatic events in their lifes (prior to the "disease"), etc etc you get the idea...

Due to whatever horrors this person expierenced they lost a sense of control..

control of their bodies, minds, life, etc...

In their minds the one thing they can control is their body ...

Therefor they starve themselfs or bing and purge or in some instances chronically over eat in an attempt to fix a different issue. Granted it will never be able to fix, stop or erase what initially lit the fire. But many times they are unaware of what originally caused this obsession.

when you think of it it's really pretty sad. That someone can be violated so badly that they only way they can subconsiously think to "fix" it is to go to extreme ways to change their bodies... since they feel that they're lifes are unchangeable.

I've just read Bronte's Story...

<a href="http://www.girl.com.au/brontes_story_book.htm" target="_blank">http://www.girl.com.au/brontes_story_book.htm</a>

:tu: Wow!!

I heard her speak at the Bronte Foundation..... She's amazing!!!

Now I'm reading 'Biting the Hand that Starves You'

by Maisel Epston Borden

<a href="http://psychservices.psychiatryonline.org/.../full/56/9/1168" target="_blank">http://psychservices.psychiatryonline.org/.../full/56/9/1168</a>

Richard Maisel, David Epston, and Ali Borden demonstrate the ways in which anorexia and bulimia (which they consider two halves of the same coin, hence their preferred term "anorexia/bulimia," or "a/b") is caused and maintained by powerful but hidden pro-anorexia rhetoric. By carefully listening to hundreds of patients, the authors discovered that after insinuating itself into people's lives through the weight-obsessed lingo of the media, anorexia goes on to generate an endless supply of pro-anorexia rhetoric that mutates into sophisticated new forms whenever it confronts anti-anorexia resistance. For example, this rhetoric instantly offers myriad convincing reasons why the doctor pointing out the harmfulness of self-starvation is not to be trusted. The sufferer experiences toxic pro-anorexia thoughts not as alien or unwanted but as reality. Anorexic thoughts proliferate and come to dominate a person's thinking and actions, leading her to lose touch with her own values, her identity, and her relationships.

http://www.mental-health-matters.com/books...ASIN=0393703371

Edited by crystal sage

I never suffered anorexia but I did suffer from bulimia for years...

one of the theories that I know apply to me and many others is basicalyl what the individual is doing...

is they are subconsiously trying to control something.

Usually the reason they turn to controlling their bodies in and extreme form is not really due to a 'weight' issue.

In alot of instances the individual was a victim of sexual abuse, a violent household, rape, traumatic events in their lifes (prior to the "disease"), etc etc you get the idea...

Due to whatever horrors this person expierenced they lost a sense of control..

control of their bodies, minds, life, etc...

In their minds the one thing they can control is their body ...

Therefor they starve themselfs or bing and purge or in some instances chronically over eat in an attempt to fix a different issue. Granted it will never be able to fix, stop or erase what initially lit the fire. But many times they are unaware of what originally caused this obsession.

when you think of it it's really pretty sad. That someone can be violated so badly that they only way they can subconsiously think to "fix" it is to go to extreme ways to change their bodies... since they feel that they're lifes are unchangeable.

Yes, I agree with you regarding the control bit. In my opinion that is so true.

I do know somebody who has anorexia, they have at last admitted it and I guess that means they are halfway to helping themselves recover (keeping my fingers crossed!)

I wonder if is possible for anorexics to take the control the other way? ie Once they have accepted they have a disorder, realize that the control they think they may lose once they start eating properly again can actually be turned around and by "controlling" their eating habits by eating food that is nourishing and will sustain them and bring their weight to a correct level. This way they will still feel in control but will be healthy?

I feel very much for people suffering from Eating Disorders. So many that have never had any dealings with it just turn around and say "well, just eat!" Unfortunately, that isn't always possible, the mind can be a very powerful weapon - for or against itself.

Yes, I agree with you regarding the control bit. In my opinion that is so true.

I do know somebody who has anorexia, they have at last admitted it and I guess that means they are halfway to helping themselves recover (keeping my fingers crossed!)

I wonder if is possible for anorexics to take the control the other way? ie Once they have accepted they have a disorder, realize that the control they think they may lose once they start eating properly again can actually be turned around and by "controlling" their eating habits by eating food that is nourishing and will sustain them and bring their weight to a correct level. This way they will still feel in control but will be healthy?

I feel very much for people suffering from Eating Disorders. So many that have never had any dealings with it just turn around and say "well, just eat!" Unfortunately, that isn't always possible, the mind can be a very powerful weapon - for or against itself.

Aren't we confusing mind and brain ? :no:

The present way is to see anorexia as a disease.. separate it from the person.. call it the negative mind...

That way the sufferer can learn to separate him/herself from these thoughts..look at them from another perspective..and even draw a chart of the thoughts that they have... which are real..belong to the individual... and positive... and which thoughts are of the negative mind...that do not benefit the individual... which is the anorexia... the eating disorder...

It gives them a base to work from... it helps gives the person the strength to fight this illness back... by recognizing it as separate part of their mind... that is has been altered.. hurt by some past or accumulated stress..

Once they learn to separate oneself from the anorexia.. or binge purge... eating disorder..

learn how it's controlling it's thoughts... one can anticipate situations... rethink how one used to behave/react in any situation...and how it has now changed..

so that they can see whether or how their sudden reaction thought processes to any event is triggered by the eating disorder..( the anorexia/binge/bullimia negative mind..)..and learn to try to control /rethink their present responses...

It will be hard at first.. but it is important for them to slowly become aware of their reactions.. whether it is eating disorder thinking.. or real thinking... so that they can eventually turn it around... it is like excercising a muscle.. rebuilding /strengthening the positive mind...

the negative mind will fight back.. will stress out at first... a lot of support is required...

:yes:

( note with any illness.. wound .. once healing is taking place.. the core cause is found,,splinter is found recognised ,extracted or debugged.. the pain at first is worse.. but constant care and attention..nurturiung...weakens the pain and helps it heal..)

and that maybe the hurt or over pressured individuals ..( :( especially how the media seems to indicate that size does matter it's focus on to be accepted you must be physically perfect) it subconsciously attempts to cope by trying to perfect itself therefore the person's life to/for it surroundings .. kind of reprocesses all the available socioeconomic media.. the experiential focus of our time...and recomputes itself to adapt itself to modern society and it's focus on perfection.....and so a part of the mind tries to take the batton to control itself ..it's environment energetically... mentally.. whittleling self esteem.. being accepted refocuses the control item /trigger as food..

not realizing /forgetting that the person is already a wonderful unique being...

It is usually the people with the biggest hearts...who truly care... worry.. like order...

set high standards for themselves

that get afflicted...

They perhaps need to get the 'So What!!!' attitude...

So what if this is not perfect..??? what is???

There is beauty in everything.. if you to look for it..

(

<a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7120564.stm" target="_blank">http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7120564.stm</a>

Last Updated: Sunday, 2 December 2007, 06:58 GMT

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Anorexia visible with brain scans

eating

An estimated 1m people in the UK have an eating disorder

Sophisticated scans have revealed the eating disorder anorexia is linked to specific patterns of brain activity.

Even young women recovering from anorexia who have maintained a healthy weight for over a year had vastly different brain activity patterns.

The findings in the American Journal of Psychiatry point to a brain region linked to anxiety and perfectionism.

The University of Pittsburgh authors said the understanding might help with the development of new treatments.

The work could also explain why people with anorexia nervosa are able to deny themselves food.

This demonstrates how complex eating disorders are...they should be treated as a serious mental illness and not a silly diet gone wrong

A spokeswoman from the eating disorders association "beat"

'Dieting ruined my health'

It is estimated that one in 100 women between the ages of 15 and 30 has anorexia.

The main symptom is the relentless pursuit of thinness through self-starvation. This may become so extreme that it is life-threatening.

Dr Walter Kaye and his team studied 13 women who were recovering from anorexia and 13 healthy women.

The women were asked to play a computer quiz where correct guesses were rewarded financially.

At the same time, the researchers observed what was going on inside the mind using a type of brain scan called functional magnetic resonance imaging.

Worriers and perfectionists

During the game, brain regions lit up in different ways for the two groups of women.

While the brain region for emotional responses - the anterior ventral striatum - showed strong differences for winning and losing the game in the healthy women, women with a past history of anorexia showed little difference between winning and losing.

Dr Kaye said that, in anorexia, this might impact on food enjoyment.

"For anorexics, then, perhaps it is difficult to appreciate immediate pleasure if it does not feel much different from a negative experience," said Dr Kaye.

Another brain area, called the caudate, which is involved in linking actions to outcome and planning, was far more active in the women with a history of anorexia compared to the control group.

The anorexia group tended to have exaggerated and obsessive worry about the consequences of their behaviours, looked for rules where there were none and were overly concerned about making mistakes, said Dr Kaye.

He said: "There are some positive aspects to this kind of temperament. Paying attention to detail and making sure things are done as correctly as possible are constructive traits in careers such as medicine or engineering."

But carried to extremes, such obsessive thinking can be harmful, he said.

Dr Ian Frampton of Exeter University, who has himself been conducting MRI studies in patients with anorexia, said: "This shows how the brain might be important in eating disorders.

"There may be networks in the brain that make someone vulnerable to developing an eating disorder."

Establishing a neurobiological cause might help remove some of the blame and stigma that surrounds conditions like anorexia, he said.

A spokeswoman from the eating disorders association "beat" said: "This demonstrates how complex eating disorders are and underlines that they should be treated as a serious mental illness and not a silly diet gone wrong."

Edited by crystal sage

Aren't we confusing mind and brain ? :no:

I don't quite get what you mean.

In my opinion and from what I have seen in real life regarding Anorexia, it is indeed all to do with control. I was wondering in my previous post if there was some way the anorexic concerned could somehow change their way of thinking and so help themselves recover.

Anorexia isn't just a question of suddenly starting to eat, it is an extremely complex illness and one from which some people do not recover.

I don't quite get what you mean.

In my opinion and from what I have seen in real life regarding Anorexia, it is indeed all to do with control. I was wondering in my previous post if there was some way the anorexic concerned could somehow change their way of thinking and so help themselves recover.

Anorexia isn't just a question of suddenly starting to eat, it is an extremely complex illness and one from which some people do not recover.

A part of the mind is taking control.. by creating negative thoughts.. twisting all the persons experiences ..blaming the person.....weakening the individuals power..strength.. with debilitating mind chat...

The thinner ,the weaker the person gets.. the stronger the negative mind.. as the body..and brain are barely fed nutritionally ..so rationality goes...

it can become as debilitating like an addiction.. eg drugs..

Biochemically they become out of whack... rationality goes..

It is a very misunderstood disease..

A team of people are often required..trained dietitians.. doctors.. counsellors.. psychologists...

To help them at first understand they They ARE NOT the eating disorder.. that it is a mental illness that needs to be treated...carefully.. with compassion..

think of the old image of having the good angel and the bad angel whispering in your ear.. trying to influence your actions... Imagine that the bad.. negative angel gags the good angel... or tones down it's voice..

( :hmm: or maybe a lot of really tough things have happened to you so that happiness..hope.. the voice of the good/positive angel hasn't been heard for a while)

so you just hear all the negative thoughts..voices.. soon when you don't appear to be able to do anything right.. or more and more things go wrong that you emotionally find it hard to cope.. the negative voice takes over.. making promises giving you hope..as long as you follow it's advice.. eg wouldn't have happened if you were perfect... ( now perfection and acceptance is seen as being thin .. it taunts you at all times.. even keeps you awake..invades your dreams..).. . soon when you sense of self strength is worn down by lack of nutrition and sheer exhaustion... the weaker you become ..the stronger the negative voice...

Sense of self is a reflection too of belonging.. of being nurtured...knowing you matter... are loved..of your total experiences from birth... till now... did you matter???were you shown to have mattered...appreciated... can healthily accept love ..

Negativity in your surroundings feed the negative mind... if the eating disordered people are seen as attention seekers.. are condemed.. belittled... it is like striking them when they are down...

Hearing Bronte speak on her battle with the illness... she mentioned that even though she was angry at every one.. especially herself during her illness ( it would have been the illness.. the negative mind taking over) a part of herself could still feel the glimmers of light when people just kept on trying to distract her illness by taking her to beautiful places ..eg in nature...simply things like a butterfly.. a bird singing.. would shed momentary light... people just caring..taking her to upbeat movies.. shows.. music... friendships she created.... working.. crafts.. hobbies..... helping others..

it all served to accasionally regnite some light into the darkness her world became...

Moving house too seemed to have been important to many eating disordered people.. starting afresh... as it seemed that these places had shadows for them.. with memories attached.

or maybe a major spring clean.. redecorate..re-paint..move around the furniture...

Feng Shui ????

http://www2.americanwellnessnetwork.com/content/view/723/36/

Edited by crystal sage

A part of the mind is taking control.. by creating negative thoughts.. twisting all the persons experiences ..blaming the person.....weakening the individuals power..strength.. with debilitating mind chat...

The thinner ,the weaker the person gets.. the stronger the negative mind.. as the body..and brain are barely fed nutritionally ..so rationality goes...

it can become as debilitating like an addiction.. eg drugs..

Biochemically they become out of whack... rationality goes..

It is a very misunderstood disease..

Ahh right, I see what you mean.

Yes, it is a very misunderstood illness indeed.

It can become a complete obsession, every waking thought goes to how many calories are being eaten and how to burn it all off as quickly as possible.

Ironically, it is very common for anorexics to spend hours upon hours partaking in strenuous exercise - this is until they end up collapsing - not enough fuel.

Ahh right, I see what you mean.

Yes, it is a very misunderstood illness indeed.

It can become a complete obsession, every waking thought goes to how many calories are being eaten and how to burn it all off as quickly as possible.

Ironically, it is very common for anorexics to spend hours upon hours partaking in strenuous exercise - this is until they end up collapsing - not enough fuel.

yes they see exercising as cleansing.. .. as a regulator of energy.. or punisher for eating...

Athletes with their hard training and strict low fat diets too can become eating disordered.. as the biochemical balance can change very suddenly in these cases.. especially if their trainers didn't accommodate the calories required for fighting illnesses.. viruses... or any other activity they may participate in... the pressure to perform...for the team.. all those that assisted them.. their own personal expectations...

The personality of the athlete... would they go by the book the set rules.. or allow themselves some leeway???

Would they see tiredness/exhaustion as lack of fitness or need for more rest or nutrition???

Edited by crystal sage

yes they see exercising as cleansing.. .. as a regulator of energy.. or punisher for eating...

Athletes with their hard training and strict low fat diets too can become eating disordered.. as the biochemical balance can change very suddenly in these cases.. especially if their trainers didn't accommodate the calories required for fighting illnesses.. viruses... or any other activity they may participate in... the pressure to perform...for the team.. all those that assisted them.. their own personal expectations...

The personality of the athlete... would they go by the book the set rules.. or allow themselves some leeway???

Would they see tiredness/exhaustion as lack of fitness or need for more rest or nutrition???

I think they may see it as not training hard enough and not enough calories being burnt.

Ironically, a week ago a person who I know that does have anorexia, tried to get out of bed on the Monday morning and was unable to move. They had severe exhaustion and had to see their Doctor. It was only when this Doctor weighed them and told them they would have to put on at least two stone that the person suddenly realised what they had been doing to themselves.

Their words to me were "If I can't do my sport, what's the bloody point?"

They are now eating (thank God) and they are trying to turn themselves around.

You are spot on with the illness point too Crystal - also injuries incurred as a result of too much training. If they don't take in enough protein, any injuries they incur will not be healed as quickly as if they were eating properly.

It definitely brings it all home, how fragile the mind can be and then again just how powerful on the negative side as you stated earlier.

<a href="http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...8-23272,00.html" target="_blank">http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...8-23272,00.html</a>

<a href="http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...2-23272,00.html" target="_blank">http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...2-23272,00.html</a>

A DAD'S relationship with his daughter may influence whether or not she will develop an eating disorder, Australian researchers have found.

Girls whose fathers exerted tight control over them were more likely to develop anorexia nervosa, while low levels of paternal care increased the risk of both anorexia and bulimia nervosa, but to a lesser degree, Dr Tracey D. Wade of Flinders University in Adelaide and colleagues found.

On the other hand, high parental expectations, usually thought of as a risk factor for anorexia, actually weren't related to the eating disorder in the researchers' analysis. However, they found, such expectations did predispose girls to developing bulimia.

These findings are reported in the International Journal of Eating Disorders.

Positive negative thoughts..

<a href="http://www.proactivechange.com/motivation/...ts/positive.htm" target="_blank">http://www.proactivechange.com/motivation/...ts/positive.htm</a>

The process I am going to outline is similar to how you’d handle communication with another person. You listen to what the other person is saying, you do your best to understand where this person is coming from, and you tailor your arguments to address this person’s concerns. Needless to say, you don’t just pay attention to the words themselves, you also pay attention to the emotional undertones of the discussion.

So, how do you apply this when you have negative thoughts?

Normally, you would tense up and tell yourself “Don’t go there. This is dangerous territory. Think positive!”. Instead, I’m inviting you to acknowledge the negative thought: “I believe I cannot do it”.

Does this mean I’m inviting you to give up? No. It’s a fact that you believe you can’t do it… But it is not a fact that you actually cannot do it. Think about it. Ask yourself: What is behind your belief? Is there concrete, foolproof evidence that you can’t do it? Or is this the voice of fear?

Chances are what you’re hearing is the voice of fear: “I want to do this, but I’m so afraid I’ll fail that I’m convinced I won’t be able do it”.

Let’s see what’s happening now that we’ve recast the negative thought as fear. Maybe you feel bad about being afraid? So let me reframe this. You would not be afraid if you were sticking to what feels safe to you. Being afraid is a sign that you’re daring to venture out of your comfort zone. You are taking a risk. It is normal to feel fear when taking a risk.

Notice how things are subtly changing. I’m inviting you to see the negative thought as a sign of fear, which is a symptom that you are taking a risk. Hopefully, this makes you feel more positive about yourself (a risk-taker) as well as more understanding of the fear that is behind the negative thought.

“But”, you say “this is ridiculous. I shouldn’t be afraid of something like this”. Whether or not you should be afraid, the fact is you are. You’re better off facing reality: You’ll be better able to deal with it.

Dealing with fear does not mean being cowed by it. You can acknowledge the fear, respect it… and still decide to go ahead! “I want to do this, I’m afraid, but I still decide to do it anyway”.

If you’re able to accomplish what you wanted despite the fear, it will be a great victory. You will have experienced how misleading your fear can be, and how it can distort your perceptions of what you can do.

But what if you go ahead despite the fear, and are not able to accomplish what you wanted? In a sense, you will have failed. But you will also have accomplished something positive. Having acknowledged your fear, you consciously decided to confront it. This, in itself, is a victory—and a good practice for future challenges.

I hope this article inspires you to see your negative thoughts in a different light—not as stumbling blocks, but as a springboard for consciously stretching your comfort zone.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/04/h...ought-patterns/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_Voices_Movement

INTERVOICE is supported by people who hear voices, relative and friends and mental health professionals including nurses, psychiatrists and psychologists. INTERVOICE members assert that the most important factor in the success of their approach is the importance placed on the personal engagement of the people involved, meaning that all participants are considered an expert of their own experience. They see each other first as people, secondly as equal partners and thirdly as all having different but mutually valuable expertise to offer. This can either be through direct experience of hearing voices or having worked with voice hearers (and/or wanting to).

INTERVOICE is critical of psychiatry in relation to the way the profession generally understands and treats people who hear voices and holds that their research has led them to the position that schizophrenia is an unscientific and unhelpful hypothesis which should be abandoned, (Romme, 2006).

The Hearing Voices movement regards itelf as being a post-psychiatric, (Bracken, 2005 and Stastny/Peter Lehmann, 2007) organisation, positioning itself outside of the mental health world in recognition that voices, in their view, are an aspect of human differentness, rather than a mental health problem and that, as with homosexuality (also regarded by psychiatry in recent times as an illness), one of the main issues is about human rights. Therefore by changing the way society perceives the experience, they believe, psychiatry, as it did with homosexuality, will follow.

The Hearing Voices movement is also seeking more holistic health solutions to problematic and overwhelming voices that cause mental distress then what it regards as the generally reductionist, disease based model offered by mainstream psychiatry. Based on their research they hold the opinion that many people successfully live with their voices and that in themselves voices are not the problem. For this reason they are prepared to accept a range of explanations offered by people who hear voices including spiritual ones and assert that recovery (see recovery model) from overwhelming voices can be achieved by seeking to understand the meaning of the voices to the voice hearer.

A detailed and neutral account of the significance of the Hearing Voice Movement entitled "Can You Live With the Voices in Your Head?" was published in the New York Times Magazine in 2007, the author Daniel B. Smith noted that the movements "brief against psychiatry can be boiled down to two core positions. The first is that many more people hear voices, and hear many more kinds of voices, than is usually assumed. The second is that auditory hallucination — or “voice-hearing,” H.V.N.’s more neutral preference — should be thought of not as a pathological phenomenon in need of eradication but as a meaningful, interpretable experience, intimately linked to a hearer’s life story and, more commonly than not, to unresolved personal traumas."

Edited by crystal sage

Voices in the head 'are normal'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5346930.stm

Hearing voices in your head is so common that it is normal, psychologists believe.

Dutch findings suggest one in 25 people regularly hears voices.

Contrary to traditional belief, hearing voices is not necessarily a symptom of mental illness, UK researchers at Manchester University say.

Indeed, many who hear voices do not seek help and say the voices have a positive impact on their lives, comforting or inspiring them.

Human diversity

Researcher Aylish Campbell said: "We know that many members of the general population hear voices but have never felt the need to access mental health services.

"Some experts even claim that more people hear voices and don't seek psychiatric help than those who do."

Some who hear voices describe it as being like the experience of hearing someone call your name only to find that there is no one there.

It doesn't seem to be hearing voices in itself that causes the problem

Researcher Aylish Campbell

"I learned to live with voices"

People also hear voices as if they are thoughts entering the mind from somewhere outside themselves. They will have no idea what the voice might say. It may even engage in conversation.

The Manchester team want to investigate why some people view their voices positively while others become distressed and seek medical help.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/73002.php

Edited by crystal sage

Then ... one has to think of Mediums... who hear ..see... experience spirit...communicate with the dead...

Telepathy...

Empathy...

Think of the more spoken about one... where sometimes the partners of a Woman going thru labor pains experiences the same thing.!!!

or when twins know... feel ..anything traumatic or out of the ordinary happening to the other???

Or a mother knows when her child is in trouble... can sometimes hear them calling , even when they are miles away...

These events are usually accepted... but seen as a wonder.. spiritual.. then references are made of the strength of love.. how it can promote/inspire supernatural..experiences...

we smile.. get all these religiousy feelings... think it's time we went to church again.....reconnected...

So some hearing voices... strange connection feelings are seen as positive.. others not so...

Yet they exist...

Mostly we treat it with fear... as if something were wrong...

If we think of all the energy around us also can project radio (hearing).. feeling... thought signals...

and that we have the ability to be the receiver.. were we have the basic where with alll to selectively tune into all or any experiences... multidimentionally...

but we automatically have a 'child lock' on most channels as it would be hard to function in this world if all our senses where constantly bombarded with information...

We learn to select our level of awareness.. via what we see as 'expectation' it kind of pushes the buttons to various channels when we are ready for them.. or will them... or if it is important, for our functioning.. survival...

prods.. are usually felt as intuition...

... :huh: ...I wonder if... visual exercises such as these may help psychological conditions???

<a href="http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/" target="_blank">http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/</a>

75 Optical Illusions & Visual Phenomena

(Visual Illusion · Optische Täuschung)

by Michael Bach

These pages demonstrate visual phenomena, and »optical« or »visual illusions«. The latter is more appropriate, because most effects have their basis in the visual pathway, not in the optics of the eye. When I find the time I will expand the explanations, to the degree that these phenomena are really understood; any nice and thoughtful comment welcome.

linked-image

linked-image

Whether by using positive feedback.. training the mind to observe how perceptions can be changed thru expectation..

Would it have theraputic benefits????

Edited by crystal sage

Is there any level of Synesthesia involved????

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/2/21/144256/437

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes...g_summary.shtml

The synaesthete in all of us

Two synaesthetes seldom agree on the colours or tastes they experience. While Covent Garden may taste of crinkly chocolate to James, it's very unlikely to have the same taste for another synaesthete. And Dorothy's brother Peter, also a synaesthete, won't see M or Z in the same colour as she does. But despite these differences, scientists are now beginning to discover more and more overarching synaesthetic patterns.

Dorothy doesn't only see letters and numbers in colour. Music produces a riot of colour, too. As Dorothy hears notes going from low to high, her colours change from black and purple to mid-browns and then yellows and whites. Overall, lower notes evoke darker colours and higher notes brighter colours - and this pattern is true for most synaesthetes.

But surprisingly, when non-synaesthetes are asked to match colours and music, they show a similar pattern. Most of us seem to associate low notes with darker colours and high notes with brighter colours.

The evidence of the synaesthete in all of us doesn't end here. Another clue comes from the way we manipulate numbers. More than half of all synaesthetes who see coloured numbers also experience their numbers arranged in space around them. Heather Birt is such a synaesthete, and she's followed by a stream of numbers wherever she goes.

Recently, scientists started to investigate how non-synaesthetes deal with numbers. They found they're better at manipulating small numbers with their left hand, and their bigger numbers with our right hand. This suggests that we all somehow think of numbers as arranged in space, even if we're not aware of it. More evidence, it seems, that we're all synaesthetic to some degree. It's just that some people experience a more exaggerated version.

http://neuromaggio.blogspot.com/

Edited by crystal sage

The present way is to see anorexia as a disease.. separate it from the person.. call it the negative mind...

That way the sufferer can learn to separate him/herself from these thoughts..look at them from another perspective..and even draw a chart of the thoughts that they have... which are real..belong to the individual... and positive... and which thoughts are of the negative mind...that do not benefit the individual... which is the anorexia... the eating disorder...

It gives them a base to work from... it helps gives the person the strength to fight this illness back... by recognizing it as separate part of their mind... that is has been altered.. hurt by some past or accumulated stress..

Once they learn to separate oneself from the anorexia.. or binge purge... eating disorder..

learn how it's controlling it's thoughts... one can anticipate situations... rethink how one used to behave/react in any situation...and how it has now changed..

so that they can see whether or how their sudden reaction thought processes to any event is triggered by the eating disorder..( the anorexia/binge/bullimia negative mind..)..and learn to try to control /rethink their present responses...

(

:o I knew I was on to something when I connected Demon possession, or Demontic hauntings to negatitive thinking. Thanks for the imput guys, this really helps in my studies, I'm preparing to take a course in psychology. And I can use any imput, anyone has to give...

Edited by Electra Rain

I have noticed that you get the same reaction..of fear and anger.. the same wild look... from a person suffering anorexia when you try and get them to eat some extra food as you do when you try and limit the intake of alcohol from an alcoholic ....

I wonder if negative minds are at work at both ends???

Do alcaholics hear voices..have powerful persuasive thoughts too???

Are addictions just fractured parts of the mind that have build their own world... reality...that has taken over???

If you don't cater to them.. their needs... the chemical that feeds them.. eg.. alcohol for the alcoholics.. the relevant adictive drug for the drug addict.. the chemical imbalance created by starvation for the annorexic.. the power to that part of the mind weakens... and the balance begins to be restored so that the balance of the rest of the mind can take control again... the voices..the urges get dimmed..

However that fractured part of the mind needs to be healed.. the reasoning for the fracturing needs to be uncovered so that it can reconnect ..rejoin with the rest of the mind..or it will reawaken if the balance tips again....

the sleeping dragon....

Edited by crystal sage

Then there is the idea of 'walk-ins'....

http://www.crystalinks.com/walk_ins.html

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/walkin.htm

...note: there would be reputable contracts in the spirit world ..where they take over with permission... if that is the case... there would be less reputable spirits that would try it's chance to take over with out permission... all it needs is ..a glimpse of an 'open door'... a weak moment.. that needs only a momentary opening....

...could it happen during a traumatic time when the person has 'had enough' and wishes to leave.. wishes it were all over..and at a weak moment.. 'allows' another spirit to take possession???

or at an energetically low time when astral travelling in sleep..a stronger spirit takes over.. or tries to squeeze in by trying to negatively manipulate the person..to weaken it energetically ..so that it can slowly take over???

Note the personality change of the afflicted person.. the rages.. the changes of mannerisms... tastes.. behaviour...

..Could this be the case???

..Any ideas????

Anyone???

Edited by crystal sage

• 2 weeks later...

... :mellow: ... I can't help feeling that there is a link there somehow...

http://www.mytherapy.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2186

When we read quietly to ourselves... can't we at will hear it on different levels???

Then there is telepathy... the

catching of other's random thoughts on accasion..

It has been reported to have accured at highly stressful times... when there is an empathic link.... like when a parent can hear their child calling when they are in danger..

Why can't someone hear someone else's negative talk.. especially when energetically they are on the same channel...wave..

or when they move into a negative space ..that has had some trauma in the past... a haunted place...????

• 3 weeks later...
Archive of Resistance:Anti-anorexia/anti-bulimia

http://www.narrativeapproaches.com/antiano...rexia_index.htm

This web-site intends to provide a response to the question that has been at the very heart of its inquiries - 'why are so many of the 'concentration camps' of anorexia invisible to their inmates, despite the slave labouring and death marches, let alone the rest of us who stand by seemingly unaware?'

But just look carefully around on those pleasant sunny afternoons. Wander through city parks and you will see them kitted out in $250 Nike triathelete running shoes and the latest in fashion gym-wear with designer logos emblazoned along the stripe running the length of their track-pants and across bulky sweat shirts. Perhaps you wonder about their leg and arm warmers. But if you dare, look into the eyes of these torture-cizers. To this question - 'Can you tell the different between a woman exercising and torture-cizing at your gym? -no anti-anorexic veteran has any difficulty whatsoever discerning one from the other. They say - 'It's all in their eyes. The pain on their faces!'

Anti-anorexia allows us, if we listen carefully, to not only hear what anorexia has to say but how it says it. However it does not tell us exactly what we are hearing. That is for all of us to find out. There are some questions that might guide our enquiries. For example, what sense can we make of the fact that anorexia speaks so convincingly to so many young women (and some men) in so many places around the world? And why some places and not others? Anorexia's ubiquity is ironic when you learn that it provides so many with reassurances, fondly whispered, such as 'You are the only one' 'You are so special to me!'. Claiming that anorexia is so widespread in no way denies it capacity to find almost any young woman's Achilles hell.

How does anorexia enter a young woman's life, impersonate her for a period of time before becoming her ventriloquist? What is so frightening is that the words coming out of their mouths in any number of mother tongues is so much the same. For such reasons, shouldn't we we then concern ourselves about what is this 'power' that is pulling so many strings on so many lives? And furthermore, how does such 'power' spin so many deadly webs than entangle so many young lives, bleeding them of hope so that nothing but their annihilation is imaginable? How does Anorexia conceal itself so that it can proceed without much resistance to speak of or without almost any public outcry? We know all too well that executioners keep their faces well hidden. But anorexia's 'power' is far more treacherous, so insidious in fact that it has young women torture and violate themselves while it remains in the shadows of their lives surveilling them. Anorexia not only claims its innocence but goes further than this. It now promises these young women the means to escape the very web in which it has ensnared them. They are told that a strict adherence to anorexia's regime of rules and regulations will 'set you free' "You are not to put a foot out of (my) line!" "If you do what I say, you will be richly rewarded by your heart's desires" "If you fail, you will deserve what you get and get what you deserve!" They are soon to learn that they can never satisfy Anorexia and they are now on a 'diet to death'. Each and every attempt to reach the anorexic standard and their inevitable failure to do so unwittingly tangles them further into the web. And the web now starts closing in on them, slowly but surely squeezing the life out of them.

Anorexic torture is applied with exquisite psychological sophistication and a cruel professionalism. Nowhere does it apply brute force, dismemberments or public spectacles so typical of tyrannical powers. Rather anorexia acts not by deed, but by incitement, invisible to be sure but audible. It has a voice that speaks with such guile, authority and finally inspiring such fear that young women are gagged and silenced. To its very 'voice' we turn to find it out and it reveals a great deal.

The 'torturer's 'voice' is beguiling by speaking both as the 'good guy' and the 'bad' guy'. Such tactics are well known where the intention is to break the 'will and the body. The 'good guy' is so obsequious and flattering, promising glittering prizes, perfect happiness and superiority. Such promises will be delivered when these young women relinquish themselves - mind, body and spirit - and become obedient and docile. The 'bad guy' doesn't administer punishments but has these young women inflict them upon themselves. What is withheld, although it cannot be kept forever, is that such a submission entails signing their own death warrant.

For all intents and purposes, it has these young women execute themselves. Their death certificates will show 'drug overdoes...no suspicious circumstances...no police investigation warranted', 'heart failure' which omits that the deceased was required to do thousands of push-ups daily or frantically run-on-the-spot as if her life depended on it, or a 'diagnosis of anorexia nervosa' which has good standing in the DSM-4 as a psychiatric disease with a long history. The 'good guy' charms, courts and beguiles whereas the 'bad guy' vilifies, insults and intimidates. The 'good guy' does not persist for long. Once the young woman is deceived and walks innocently into the snare, this 'voice' becomes less frequently heard and far less audible when it does speak.

If we were unaware of this, how could we possibly understand why women 'run' themselves into their early graves? How could we fathom how these young women are so uninterested and seemingly deaf to our 'treatments' and wise counsel as to their physical deterioration? How else can we grasp what seems like a secret lovers' pact that excludes from their lives all those who care about and love them? And should we try to intervene, how do we respond when our well-meaning attempts are met with violence, both verbal or physical? And what do we do with our observations that such violence is so out of character as to seem to be a form of madness? How is the 'voice' of anorexia so deafening in their ears but we cannot hear it and are bystanders to such infamy?

Another order of inquiry has us consider - if we do speak out, are we so sure we do not speak in Anorexia's favour? For example, if we call someone 'an anorexic', are we unwittingly complicit with Anorexia's sinister purpose to cast these young women out of the human fold? Why are those terms of self-reproach, otherwise quaint and old-fashioned, so commonplace amongst those taken in by anorexia - 'I am worthless', 'I am unworthy', etc. If we, in our speaking, disease them, are we collaborating with Anorexia? Must we guard ourselves against arrogance, thinking it is only they who are being taken in by Anorexia? What guarantee do we have of our immunity? Could we be complicit without even realizing it? Could we perfidiously betray them without even any second thoughts?

After all, anorexia is everywhere and nowhere in the Western world and right now is very likely following in the wake of MacDonalds as it blazes its trail through the former communist empire. Do we have to know how anorexia operates before we can even offer an informed opinion? And must we do something soon? After all, "more cases of anorexia and bulimia are reported every year, and between 5% and 10% of females 14 and over, suffer from such disorders, according to the no-profit group, Eating Disorders Awareness and Prevention" (McDowell, J. and Park, A., Time, June 29th, 1998 p.52) Has anorexia wormed its way into the very languages (e.g. psychology, psychiatry, etc) we use in our vain attempts to track it down and find it out? Perhaps anorexia speaks these language(s) even more fluently and with more dexterity than most of us. Why? Is it surer about its purposes - to break these young women's will, to convict them as inadequate or flawed, demand their confessions than we are with our healing intentions? I propose this because so many of the 'treatments' for anorexia blame either the victim of it or their families (and in particular, their mother) and proceed by way of 'examination' of everyone's every thought and feeling until one or more of the parties agree to confess. So often, in my experience, anorexia had already instigated these young women to surveil and police their every utterance and gesture against anorexia's 'measure'. Their lives, in a manner of speaking, are numbered, counted, compared against 'norms, specifying what qualifies them as a person gendered female. And what's more, a 'good' person or woman. Anorexic 'measures' never stand still but keep shifting until Perfection is the minimally satisfactory criterion for the status of 'woman/person'.

Edited by crystal sage