Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fish oil might stop schizophrenia

UM-Bot

user posted image rSwallowing a daily dose of fish oil may stop young people vulnerable to schizophrenia from ever developing the condition, a landmark study has found.An international psychiatry conference in Melbourne will be told that omega-3 fatty acids, believed to be beneficial for conditions from heart disease to ADHD, could also help delay or prevent the onset of severe mental illness.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: ninemsn.com.au

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wolfieboy

• Ins0mniac

• kobolds

• Truffles

Top Posters In This Topic

since there is no way to know for sure who will , or will not develop the mental illness. how can they boast about any measure of success? there is no way of knowing which members of either test group would or would not become schizophrenic. it's great that they have some kind of bases that the omega-3 helps certain mental disorders, but to say it is a cure, well that is a little bit out on the limb.

since there is no way to know for sure who will , or will not develop the mental illness. how can they boast about any measure of success? there is no way of knowing which members of either test group would or would not become schizophrenic. it's great that they have some kind of bases that the omega-3 helps certain mental disorders, but to say it is a cure, well that is a little bit out on the limb.

It's impossible to know which individuals and obviously both control groups may not have identical. But what are the chances that there would be a 25% difference by pure random chance?

You flip a coin once and record it, it could be either heads or tails, nobody knows. You flip a coin 82 times and record it and it's pretty much ALWAYS going to be almost exactly 50% heads and 50% tails.

Edited by Ins0mniac

• 1 month later...

I wonder how much fish oil they're talking about. It's supposed to be good for the skin etc too. I haven't noticed anything and I've been taking it for years. Oh well :)

When I took it I was absolutly convinced the fish were watching me.

I use fish oil every day for my autistic son. Experience has taught me that it helps him out a lot. How nice to get evidence through this study that something healthy can possibly help out mental disease like this.

A person with a family history of schizophrenia has a greater chance of getting it. Maybe they tested people with similar family histories.

Flaxseed oil has more Omega-3 then fish oil does. People seem to be stuck on fish oil even though you can get both in pill form.

Edited by __Kratos__